Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Manhattan's Broadway Among Most Dangerous Roads In Tri-State Area

"A new report finds the city's most well-known thoroughfare is one of the region's most dangerous roads for pedestrians.

Broadway in Manhattan was named the second deadliest road in the metropolitan region by the Tri-State Transportation Campaign.

The policy watchdog group says 13 people were killed crossing Broadway between 2008 and 2010.

Atlantic Avenue and Kings Highway in Brooklyn also made the list, with seven fatalities each over the three-year period.

The Henry Hudson Parkway in Manhattan and Broadway in the Bronx also had several deaths over the same timeframe."

Broadway Among Most Dangerous Roads In Tri-State Area - NY1.com

FYI. Guys I put this story in off topic and not in Highways/Roads since this story is not dealing with driving but walking. Feel free to comment.

They are dangerous because meathead New Yorkers jaywalk,cross while traffic flows and don't pay attention. People were killed by cars on Queens Blvd. because they crossed between parked cars. Can't fix stupid.

Broadway is totally flawed because it crosses roads at a diagonal, turning a simple intersection into a massive junction. When the road designers created the grid system, Broadway should've been desolved or turned into a smaller pedestrian only road.

If they still want to do those stupid pedestrian plazas, then I would suggest they block off Broadway around 65th and 72nd to eliminate the same problems that plagued TS and HS. Have traffic diverted onto 9th and 10th avs.

My question is, which part of Broadway is dangerous? If its the area as GC said, then sure, but not ALL of Broadway is dangerous. Broadway south of 14th can be a pain in the ass but its not all that bad. This report seems to be lacking more information.

I also have to comment about how surprised I am that neither Flatbush nor Flatlands av were mentioned because both cuts thru Brooklyn at a diagonal, thus making intersections just as complicated (abit on a smaller scale) as Broadway.

I'm not buying what's being presented on the surface, I'm sorry....

Whenever I see an article/news story's title with the words "among the" in it, immediately I think a hidden agenda is present.....

In other words, the main reason for the coming out with this story about Broadway really isn't about how so dangerous it is.... The vagueness (of what sections of it, as Cait pointed out) really gives it away.....

I don't know what it is..... but if you ask me, I think they might be tryna raise awareness of some facet/stint of broadway somehow... What did they recently build, or what do they plan on building/adding along some portion of broadway in the near future that they're tryna low-key raise awareness about......

its dangerous because they keep blocking it off in places forcing people to detour around the various road blocks they put in it.

Then you have pedestrians and bicyclists who think the rules of the road don't apply to them, and they wonder why they get run over. Plus the cabbies who drive like they're back home in whatever country they came from.

For what the intersections? I think closing off TS and HS on Broadway has done everyone a favor by eliminating the merging. I remember there were reports about the intersections around 72nd on Broadway having accidents. It's the intersections that needs to be eliminated.

Any road (or thoroughfare, for that matter) is dangerous when used by idiots.

Any road (or thoroughfare, for that matter) is dangerous when used by idiots.

That would be everywhere.