Quickest route traveling from Jay St-Metrotech to either Jamaica Center Station or Parsons Blvd?

bstar1

Any suggestions?

I would imagine the quickest route -- solely by travel time -- would have to be the (A) to 42nd for the (E).

However, if I were making this trip, I'd probably just take whatever came first at Jay ((A) or (F)). If you let an F go by to catch an A, any time you save by going express in Manhattan you've already lost by waiting longer.

EDIT: I posted too quickly before you edited the title of your thread... If either the (E) or (F) in Jamaica is okay, you're definitely better off just hopping on the (F) at Jay and riding it all the way.

Choices:

(A) to 42nd Street for the (E) to Jamaica

(F) Directly to Union Turnpike for (E) (Local in Manhattan, Express in Queens)

(A) to Lefferts Blvd for Q112 to Jamaica

LIRR at Atlantic Terminal, Straight to Jamaica (Separate payment tho)

What about (A) to Broadway Junction for (J) to Jamaica Center, or

Manhattan (F) to Delancey-Essex Sts for (J) to Jamaica Center.

Hahahah... Nah im good if I had to do that. The (F) and (J) is all local stop, which adds 1 hr and maybe a few more min of commute. Unless this is during (J)(Z) skip stop express service, then yeah.

The first one seems good!

(A) to Broadway Junction for the (J) to Jamaica Center seems like the most logical choice for me.

You're absolutely right. I was trying to answer without looking at the map, and I had a feeling there was something good that involved heading east instead of west. I just couldn't visualize it on my mental map of the system. ;)

(F) all the way from Jay to 179th: 53 minutes

(A) to the (J): 13 + 24 = 37 minutes plus transferring time

Upon reading the thread title (meaning, before reading anyone's replies), my exact words were "The A to the J".....

If you're already emanating in brooklyn, there's no real reason to backtrack to manhattan if your ultimate destination is that deep into Queens....

If you do take the A to Bway Junction, make sure you're in the first car of the train. You have some stairs to go up...it is a long way up to get the J train, but there are escalators.

You can also take the C train--whichever one comes first. If the A train is more than 4 minutes behind the C train, then the C will get to Broadway Junction first; I know, because I used that route for years.

Personally, I don't like taking the escalators because it takes too long.

People look at me as if I am crazy jogging up the stairs lol.

F to Delancey is also another option...the J does not take as long as people think to get to Bway Junction from Manhattan, even as a local. The A and C actually travel a longer distance through Bk. That will probably cancel out any real time difference (including that long transfer at the Junction).

F to Delancey is also another option...the J does not take as long as people think to get to Bway Junction from Manhattan, even as a local. The A and C actually travel a longer distance through Bk. That will probably cancel out any real time difference (including that long transfer at the Junction).

The schedule says 45 minutes on the (J) from Essex to Jamaica (40 if skip-stop). I'm thinking that unless it takes you a really long time to climb those stairs, the (A)(C) would still be faster by a long shot.

If you do take the A to Bway Junction, make sure you're in the first car of the train. You have some stairs to go up...it is a long way up to get the J train, but there are escalators.

You can also take the C train--whichever one comes first. If the A train is more than 4 minutes behind the C train, then the C will get to Broadway Junction first; I know, because I used that route for years.

Personally, I don't like taking the escalators because it takes too long.

People look at me as if I am crazy jogging up the stairs lol.

Well with the (J) taking six to seven minutes to cross over the bridge then that'll just hurt you in terms of saving time. Remember that you're starting at Jay Street so it'll take you five minutes to get to Delancey from Jay on average, then six to seven minutes to go over the bridge and the rest is whatever. It takes roughly 15 minutes to get from Jay Street to Broadway Junction on the (A).

(R) to the LIRR. LIRR only takes like 20 minutes from Atlantic Terminal to Jamaica wheres the other options take about a hour or more.

LOL!

Well with the (J) taking six to seven minutes to cross over the bridge then that'll just hurt you in terms of saving time. Remember that you're starting at Jay Street so it'll take you five minutes to get to Delancey from Jay on average, then six to seven minutes to go over the bridge and the rest is whatever. It takes roughly 15 minutes to get from Jay Street to Broadway Junction on the (A).

In theory.

It depends on which train comes first at Jay st....if a Euclid av (C) comes first, take that. If an (A) comes, grab that.

If the (F) comes, get that....I would wait in the mezzanine area so you don't have to run up and down stairs.

When you consider wait time and transfer time, it really doesn't make as much of a time difference as people think...

The optimal situation is that a Queens bound (A) pulls into the station, immediately, you're in the first car of that train (to beat the hordes up the stairs) and you take the stairs up--the escalators are packed and slow.

If you happen to be near the last car of the train, especially during rush hours, it is going to take a while to get up the stairs--just off the platform. This is not even counting that huge climb to get the (J).

There's only one staircase...if you're not rushing and/or not in shape, and you're caught in a big crowd, it might take you as long as 5 minutes to make that transfer to the (J), trust me. That is an extremely busy station with people making transfers.

Then you have to wait for the (J)....might be a 10-12 minute wait sometimes.

At least by transferring in manhattan, you would avoid the nonsense of transferring at the Junction.

Upon reading the thread title (meaning, before reading anyone's replies), my exact words were "The A to the J".....

If you're already emanating in brooklyn, there's no real reason to backtrack to manhattan if your ultimate destination is that deep into Queens....

People would still backtrack to Manhattan in certain ways.

If you were in South Brooklyn along the (D), and were trying to get to about there or even Flushing, you would use the (D) to the (7) or (E).

Sometimes Manhattan could also be a shortcut, but depending on where you are.

If someone wants to avoid Manhattan completely they will have to do this.

A) Starting point: Jay Street-Metrotech.

1) Ride the (F) from Jay Street-Metrotech to Bergen Street.

2) At Bergen Street transfer from the (F) to a (G).

3) Ride the (G) to Broadway.

4) Get off the (G) at Broadway, and walk 4 blocks to transfer to the (J)/(Z).

5) Ride the (J)/(Z) to Jamaica Center-Parsons Archer.

;) Ending point: Jamaica Center-Parsons Archer.

*For return journeys travel opposite to the directions given.

People would still backtrack to Manhattan in certain ways.

If you were in South Brooklyn along the (D), and were trying to get to about there or even Flushing, you would use the (D) to the (7) or (E).

Sometimes Manhattan could also be a shortcut, but depending on where you are.

Your example there I wouldn't classify as backtracking, b/c from south brooklyn to manhattan to queens, (although winding) you're still "commuting forward"....

Semantics aside, you're right, as there are plenty riders that make such a commute; hell, I had to take the (5) to the (7) when I went to devry (when it was in LIC)... even though that involved a brooklyn > manhattan > queens commute....

But this guy is inquring about going from jay st to jamaica, queens (a commute panning east)....

Taking one of the suggestions presented here, to take the (F) to the (J) would be a commute backward to go forward

(westward towards manhattan.... to head eastward to jamaica).....

If someone wants to avoid Manhattan completely they will have to do this.

A) Starting point: Jay Street-Metrotech.

1) Ride the (F) from Jay Street-Metrotech to Bergen Street.

2) At Bergen Street transfer from the (F) to a (G).

3) Ride the (G) to Broadway.

4) Get off the (G) at Broadway, and walk 4 blocks to transfer to the (J)/(Z).

5) Ride the (J)/(Z) to Jamaica Center-Parsons Archer.

B) Ending point: Jamaica Center-Parsons Archer.

*For return journeys travel opposite to the directions given.

I don't see how this can be a quick route from Downtown Brooklyn to Jamaica. Yeah, a way to avoid Manhattan, but there are other ways then this... Other ways that are fast, and don't require an extra payment as Abba states.

As long as your willing to spend an extra $2.50.

If you have an unlimited your good :tup:

^^^^^^

Interesting reply. Good point about the (G).

You are right about the (J) being slow. But it shouldn't take 45 minutes to get to Jamaica from the Junction unless there is a very long wait time for the train. Once you're on the train, it should be about 25 minutes.

The (F) to Queens and then the (E) is interesting, and I didn't think of that, but the probability of it beating the (A) to the (J) is very low. From Jay to 71st av is MINIMUM 40 minutes.

Also, depending when you ride, the (F) to Queens can have its delays and be slow as well--you'd be surprised. I know, because I regularly take that route--many times, the (F) has to wait when it leaves Queensbridge because of train traffic.

A more reasonable estimate to 71st Av is 45 minutes, possibly longer. Then you have to wait for the (E) on the same track. Expect a minimum 3 minute wait or longer for the (E). From 71st to Jamaica is about 12-15 minutes.

A reasonable time for this route is 1 hour, possibly longer.

Unless you are traveling on a weekend, I can't see the Fulton st to Jamaica connection taking that long. If everything is perfect, that's a 40 minute trip. It'll be more like a 50 minute trip.

Archived