15 mph skip rule question...

Jamaica Line

Sometime ago I learned from a fellow member (also a M/M) that M/M are not allowed to skip stations no more than 15 mph, since the head signal can sometimes not be seen because of the curves at some stations. So that leaves me with a couple of questions...

Why does that rule have to be for every station and not just stations with blind curves?

I've been on many runs in which the M/M would start decreasing speed to about 20-25 mph then rap it back up. What's the point, shouldn't he/she just run through the station full speed? (That of course only took place at stations in which the head signal can be seen.)

• 2 weeks later...
Sometime ago I learned from a fellow member (also a M/M) that M/M are not allowed to skip stations no more than 15 mph, since the head signal can sometimes not be seen because of the curves at some stations. So that leaves me with a couple of questions...

Why does that rule have to be for every station and not just stations with blind curves?

I've been on many runs in which the M/M would start decreasing speed to about 20-25 mph then rap it back up. What's the point, shouldn't he/she just run through the station full speed? (That of course only took place at stations in which the head signal can be seen.)

Because signals are spaced to expect a train to be doing a certain speed on the approach into the tunnel past the station, based on stopping at said station. If the train is not stopping at the station, it needs to at least slow down to a point the signal system assumption holds.

Archived