Photography on Amtrak Trackage

jay.rosenthal

Today, I was videotaping the arrival of Amtrak train 174 in New London, CT and was stopped by a police officer who appeared to think that I was a threat to national security. Is photographing or videotaping trains at an Amtrak station illegal? I know it's legal at all NYC MTA owned stations including but not limited to stations on Metro-North Railroad, the Long Island Railroad and the NYC subway system, but not clear on the laws on Amtrak/Shore Line East and Amtrak only stations.

It is legal to take pictures or videos on Amtrak property. EXCEPT in restricted areas:

The taking of photographs and/or videos is permitted within public access areas on Amtrak property and as otherwise stated in Section III.

In emergency and/or special circumstances (for example, declared elevation of Homeland Security Advisory System to High or Severe - orange and red) and where actions are deemed suspicious or inconsistent with this policy by observing/reporting persons, photographers and videographers may be approached and questioned to determine if further investigation or action is necessary.

Photography and video recording within restricted areas are prohibited. Individuals found in a restricted area will be subject to investigation and possible arrest and seizure of photography and/or video recording equipment may occur pursuant to the arrest. This policy applies in all circumstances, including where Amtrak may be promoting a photography contest or event.

More:

'

Amtrak - Plan - Policies - Photography & Video Recording

Even Amtraks Timetable booklet seys its legal on one of the last few pages.

Today, I was videotaping the arrival of Amtrak train 174 in New London, CT and was stopped by a police officer who appeared to think that I was a threat to national security. Is photographing or videotaping trains at an Amtrak station illegal? I know it's legal at all NYC MTA owned stations including but not limited to stations on Metro-North Railroad, the Long Island Railroad and the NYC subway system, but not clear on the laws on Amtrak/Shore Line East and Amtrak only stations.

Was this Amtrak or local police? What did they say?

This was local police. In a nutshell, The cop asked me what I was doing and showed me his badge. I told him I was recording the trains arrival. He told me it was against the law to do it on railroad property. Not wanting to fight, I apologized and turned off he video.

This was local police. In a nutshell, The cop asked me what I was doing and showed me his badge. I told him I was recording the trains arrival. He told me it was against the law to do it on railroad property. Not wanting to fight, I apologized and turned off he video.

You probably should carry the rules with you. I would have told him Amtrak rules allow for you to do that, and to call the Amtrak PD if he didn't believe it.

Per the Amtrak photo policy, taking pictures on an Amtrak-owned platform without a ticket is not allowed. If you had one, the cop had no reason to stop you.

Are you saying, its considered restricted area if I don't have a ticket, in a platform thats freely accessible without any check?

Read the policy page you linked:

Restricted Area. A restricted area is any area not open to or occupied by the public, or is open to or occupied by the public on a limited basis. Signage, building design and physical barriers, i.e. fencing, bollards, etc., may also distinguish a restricted area from a public area.

Restricted areas include but are not limited to the following:

Platforms (ticketed passengers are exempt)

Crew and Employee Work Areas

Maintenance Facilities

Unoccupied Trains and Engines

Office Areas

Employee Elevators

Baggage/Delivery Areas

Commissaries

Right of Way and Track Areas

In service train cars

----

Ticketed Passengers on platforms may photograph or video record during the time they are preparing to board or immediately after alighting from a train. Equipment is limited to hand-held devices. Such photography, including equipment set-up will be done in a reasonable, safe and timely manner.

Ticketed passengers on board trains may take photos or video record on a train when it does not interfere with passengers or crew and in accordance with any directions given by Amtrak onboard train personnel.

Of course this only applies to Amtrak owned cars and stations. A commuter train or station on Amtrak trackage (such as Newark Penn, Trenton, or North Philly) is exempt from the policy. NYP and 30th Street are NOT.

Pay close attention to SEPTA: http://septa.org/policy/film.html

While this unfortunate reality has not resulted in a prohibition of photography, SEPTA Transit Police and other law enforcement are under orders to question anyone taking photographs or sketching transit facilities.

Archived