Fresh Pond Depot To Have All Hybrid Buses?

Keon Milton

At any time in the future, will all Fresh Pond Depot buses be hybrids or will there still be some diesel buses? The way I'm seeing it these days, it looks like as if Fresh Pond will do away with all of its NovaBus RTS buses. Orion VII Next Generation hybrids from Staten Island are beginning to flood the depot, resulting in the pushing out of the RTS buses to other NYCT bus depots, MTA Bus and/or scrap.

Yes, I'm wondering that, too. I mean like more and more Orion VII NG hybrids keep coming from Castleton, and most recently, Yukon to Fresh Pond. In fact, there are now more Orion VII NG hybrids than Orion VII OG hybrids! I know this because the bus route near me, the B54, is a Fresh Pond route. At the same time, the number of RTS buses in Fresh Pond have been steadily declining, which leads me to think: Will Fresh Pond become an all-hybrid depot? Only time will tell...

Yes, I'm wondering that, too. I mean like more and more Orion VII NG hybrids keep coming from Castleton, and most recently, Yukon to Fresh Pond. In fact, there are now more Orion VII NG hybrids than Orion VII OG hybrids! I know this because the bus route near me, the B54, is a Fresh Pond route. At the same time, the number of RTS buses in Fresh Pond have been steadily declining, which leads me to think: Will Fresh Pond become an all-hybrid depot? Only time will tell...

Probably not. But never say never.

Anything could happen, but the RTS' shouldn't be going any time soon. There are not enough hybrids to replace them all as of right now unless they increase the number of hybrids coming in from other depots outside of Staten Island. When Flatbush gets artics, they will have buses that will be moved out. However, this will likely be RTS buses. We also have to wait and see where all the diesel buses wind up in the next couple of years. There will be upcoming orders for more hybrid buses, followed by more diesel buses when the BTE evaluation is complete.

Yeah, that's true. I understand the 1996 RTS buses are retiring right now, but the 1997 RTS buses are staying put, at least right now. So, I figure Fresh Pond's 1997 RTS buses will still be around for at least another year?

Probably not. But never say never.

Don't jinx it B)

I was thinking about this the other day. I know Grand Ave have a hybrid bus on the depot logo, but FP should have more hybrids............

Well Grand Ave is billed as one of the most enviromently friendliest depot in the city so naturally a hybrid would go on the logo since that's "environmentally friendly"

...Ironically when Grand Ave opened up, they took half of the Pond's hybrids

Yeah, that's true. I understand the 1996 RTS buses are retiring right now, but the 1997 RTS buses are staying put, at least right now. So, I figure Fresh Pond's 1997 RTS buses will still be around for at least another year?

In a nutshell, the hybrids came in to bump out damn near every RTS there that isn't a 95xx, which was a good chunk (I'd say about 40-45%) of the fleet. But then again, they lost 3 95xx's to Flatbush so who knows whats gonna happen once the dust settles.

But then again, they lost 3 95xx's to Flatbush so who knows whats gonna happen once the dust settles.

FP right now has lost 9594-9599 to FB.. And may lose more to the influx of buses heading from Yukon and possibly Castelton.

You may never know that FP may be possibly be the Brooklyn division to have an all Hybrid fleet.

FP right now has lost 9594-9599 to FB.. And may lose more to the influx of buses heading from Yukon and possibly Castelton.

You may never know that FP may be possibly be the Brooklyn division to have an all Hybrid fleet.

That's what I thought from the very beginning of the thread. Could these Orion VII NG hybrids push out most, if not all, of Fresh Pond's RTS buses? It's possible, but who knows?

That's what I thought from the very beginning of the thread. Could these Orion VII NG hybrids push out most, if not all, of Fresh Pond's RTS buses? It's possible, but who knows?

Right now, I don't think there's enough hybrids to push out most of FP's current fleet to do that *(I could be wrong)*, and by the looks of things FP may have most of YUK's 4092-4139, and 3994-4006 on site.. As more buses are ordered, it can be an possibility.

A little off topic, but this makes me wonder if Baisley Park will become all hybrid when the bees are gone

When SC gets all the 3g and C40lf buses to push out the hybrids, it could be possible to make BP all hybrids. Imo, FP and BP should both be all hybrids. If they have to be one type, then may as well be all one type.

When SC gets all the 3g and C40lf buses to push out the hybrids, it could be possible to make BP all hybrids. Imo, FP and BP should both be all hybrids. If they have to be one type, then may as well be all one type.

I'm thinking SC's hybrids are going to JFK or FR. At one point, BP was supposed to get 60ers

Archived