Random ideas (Map Format) for NICE Bus

VWM

I don't mean to be mean but your 79 redesign is stupid because Lots of people get on at Geico and at Sunnyside BLVD EXT. People who work in crossways probably have quit their job or take a cab from hicksville,syosset/ or walk from Jericho Turnpike and Woodbury road.

Sunnyside Blvd is still served, and the Geico has been by every other N79. The N79s alternate between Crossways and Woodbury Road. What do you think of the other routes?

N44 - Oyster Bay - Hicksville or Bethpage

I like the idea of an oyster bay route, but unfortunately I don't see such a route flourishing.....

N52 - Sea Cliff - Hempstead

no comment...

N67 - Oceanside - Hicksville

You're gonna have to explain the logic behind this one to me, b/c I'm not seeing it....

N77 - Huntington - Hempstead via Jericho Tpke

Agree w/ a jericho tpke route... but I would just turn the route down oyster bay rd (or, jackson av, as it turns into in syosset) after having served downtown syosset, to continue down jericho tpke.....

nor do I think it should go all the way to huntington... may as well end this inside whitman mall....

N78 Hicksville - Farmingdale (combined w/ N95)

I would actually end this at SUNY Farmingdale instead of LIRR Farmingdale.... you may end up attracting more riders this way believe it or not....

N79 Hicksville - S. Huntington (combined with N94)

I actually like the general idea of this route; crossways could use the service.... and in conjunction to what I said about your "N77", I think you should have this route pan out to Huntington instead (in other words, N79 Hicksville - Huntington via W. Whitman mall)......

await your reply....

N44 - Oyster Bay - Hicksville or Bethpage

I like the idea of an oyster bay route, but unfortunately I don't see such a route flourishing.....

Yeah, me either.

N52 - Sea Cliff - Hempstead

no comment...

I understand.

N67 - Oceanside - Hicksville

You're gonna have to explain the logic behind this one to me, b/c I'm not seeing it....

The N67 originally stopped short of both Freeport and Hicksville LIRR Stations. So I saw it fit for it to be extended. (The N67 was eliminated in 2010)

N77 - Huntington - Hempstead via Jericho Tpke

Agree w/ a jericho tpke route... but I would just turn the route down oyster bay rd (or, jackson av, as it turns into in syosset) after having served downtown syosset, to continue down jericho tpke....

So where would its southern terminus be?

nor do I think it should go all the way to huntington... may as well end this inside whitman mall....
True, True.

N78 Hicksville - Farmingdale (combined w/ N95)

I would actually end this at SUNY Farmingdale instead of LIRR Farmingdale.... you may end up attracting more riders this way believe it or not....

Noted.

N79 Hicksville - S. Huntington (combined with N94)

I actually like the general idea of this route; crossways could use the service.... and in conjunction to what I said about your "N77", I think you should have this route pan out to Huntington instead (in other words, N79 Hicksville - Huntington via W. Whitman mall)......

Agreed.

About the n77:

You should add a n77x service that skips Hicksville and runs straight to Dwntwn Syosset. It probably wouldn't be popular, but it's an idea.

P.S. The "N" should be a lowercase "n". B)

ok, now I'm confused.... What made you choose to re-route your 77 through hicksville ?

Not sure. I wasn't actually sure what you wanted me to do with it besides put it to Walt Whitman.

N44 - bad idea - already the north/south N80 and 81 have hardly anyone in them, and Oyster Bay and East Norwich are affluent areas where people already own cars.

N77 - bad idea - much of that route has no sidewalks, the routing around downtown Syosset goes along narrow, congested streets where the bus may not be able to make the turns without blocking traffic.

N78 - old country road and sweet hollow road in Melville are narrow street that have truck restrictions. Farmingdale already has a private LIRR shuttle bus to replace the N95.

The Sea Cliff to Hempstead line didn't show up on the map, but I wouldn't support it, Sea Cliff is another affluent area that doesn't need bus service. They have decent LIRR service which could be expanded to hourly from 2 hours off peak, and I doubt theres a huge amount of people living up there trying to go to Hempstead, most of Long Island goes out of their way to avoid Hempstead.

N44 - bad idea - already the north/south N80 and 81 have hardly anyone in them, and Oyster Bay and East Norwich are affluent areas where people already own cars.

N77 - bad idea - much of that route has no sidewalks, the routing around downtown Syosset goes along narrow, congested streets where the bus may not be able to make the turns without blocking traffic.

N78 - old country road and sweet hollow road in Melville are narrow street that have truck restrictions. Farmingdale already has a private LIRR shuttle bus to replace the N95.

The Sea Cliff to Hempstead line didn't show up on the map, but I wouldn't support it, Sea Cliff is another affluent area that doesn't need bus service. They have decent LIRR service which could be expanded to hourly from 2 hours off peak, and I doubt theres a huge amount of people living up there trying to go to Hempstead, most of Long Island goes out of their way to avoid Hempstead.

you just explained the REAL reason why N46/47 fails!!!!! I already addressed that and NICE is reviewing the document I sent.

I said some of it was fantasy. I was bored when I made the N44.

I took the Syosset Bit into consideration. The 77 no longer goes via Queens St but immediately makes a turn onto Underhill Blvd.

Allright.

I got rid of it.

n50 : People could transfer to another route along Merrick Blvd or HTC to access the n88 to Jones Beach. This route won't work, however there may be a better alternative by making this as summer only route from Mineola Intermodal/Roosevelt Field/HTC and directly down to Jones Beach, this way people can visit the mall and the beach the same time, would attract families who don't want to drive or don't drive at all.

Okay. I was thinking of that prior to the N50 extension, but scrapped it and now I think i'll do it.

n77 : This route could replace your n44, while not going to Walt Whitman, it heads to Oyster Bay via Split Rock. Frankly, this would work, even with a slight connection to the n79.

I'll think about it. I like the n77 the way it is and i'm leaving the n44 on because i'm too lazy to get rid of it.

n79 : I don't think Hauppague, SCT and HART would be happy about this, the n79 ends at Walt Whitman for a reason, and I think no Nassau routes would see the light of Downtown Huntington, maybe even busses. Frankly, the n19/n72 could be easily asked to cut back to Amityville by Hauppague and SCT.

You have to consider that out in the suburbs, the transit agencies aren't worried about competition, because they know that, for the most part, they aren't going to make money on those routes anyway. If one agency runs a route, it saves the other agency from having to worry about it, especially if the other agency could get better ridership.

For instance, the N72 doesn't compete with anything along the Rt. 109 corridor, and might actually boost SCT's ridership by connecting with all the routes in Babylon (without the N72, riders might not make the trip at all, and SCT doesn't get any money at all). It also probably serves more riders than any SCT route would (you'd have to either extend a route from Babylon, or make a seperate route, but in either case, you don't get the connections to other routes like you do in Nassau).

For the N19, SCT could extend the S40 to Amityville or Sunrise Mall (originally, they were one route from Freeport to Babylon), but like I said, they're probably more than happy to have NICE worry about the costs of running the extra distance.

Not sure. I wasn't actually sure what you wanted me to do with it besides put it to Walt Whitman.

originally, you had your 77 going across convent rd & woods rd, to jericho tpke.... I was basically suggesting that you take it off those roads (in syosset) & have it go down jackson av to jericho tpke.... I see you made that change in your map now, so it's moot....

I'm not sure why you asked me about its southern terminus.....

I like the n77 the way it is

So do I....

As for the other routes you added since the last time I saw your map....

N2 - Jamaica or Stewart Manor - Valley Stream

I wouldn't bother w/ this....

N4X - Jamaica - Freeport

long overdue....

N8 - Mineola - Valley Stream

I don't know what to make of this one... only thing I would suggest is to continue it north along nassau blvd, to jericho tpke, to mineola blvd, to terminate at LIRR Mineola... may garner a couple more riders that way....

N47 - Cedarhurst - East Meadow (Fantasy)

lol... no comment

N74 - Hicksville - Sunrise Mall via Wantagh. This replaces the N80.

disagree w/ this.... I'd rather leave the current n80, than to (basically) extend the 74 to sunrise....

N86 - MIC - RF - HTC - JB

disagree w/ this one also.... it's just not practical; what group of riders is this catering to?

In other words, who's going from the Nassau Hub, etc. area to JB (or vice versa)......

N93 - Super Nassau Hub Shuttle (Fantasy)

well, at least it's creative, I'll give it that much.... may as well go ahead & have the route loop from Mineola, instead of ending it at RFM....

(in other words, have it go from Mineola, HTC, charles lindbergh, RFM, then back to Mineola)

VWM, what do you think?

Here's my idea for N2/N8. I might just use one number similar to N57 pattern.

This way people along Franklin Av wouldn't lost direct bus service to/from Green Acres Mall

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=217676874284258297842.0004b9bc00a2f42c09b12&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=40.688972,-73.702598&spn=0.056963,0.053816&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=217676874284258297842.0004b9bc00a2f42c09b12&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=40.688972,-73.702598&spn=0.056963,0.053816&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">NICE Proposed- N2 and N8 Loop</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

N2 - Jamaica or Stewart Manor - Valley Stream

I wouldn't bother w/ this....

Meh. I'm really just doing it because i'm a nostalgia freak. Putting it under "fantasy".

N4X - Jamaica - Freeport

long overdue....

Yep.

N8 - Mineola - Valley Stream

I don't know what to make of this one... only thing I would suggest is to continue it north along nassau blvd, to jericho tpke, to mineola blvd, to terminate at LIRR Mineola... may garner a couple more riders that way....

I wasn't going to do that to to the n24 being there, but I see that's definitely a better idea. Weird thing is, along with having the LIB map w/ the N91 mysteriously appearing in the Lynbrook inset, It also shows the N8 at HTC, following the 46/47 to Front Street then disappearing past there.

N47 - Cedarhurst - East Meadow (Fantasy)

lol... no comment

This originally went to far rockaway LIRR / (A) station, but I cut it back. Fantsy has its limits. (er... Sometimes.)

N74 - Hicksville - Sunrise Mall via Wantagh. This replaces the N80.

disagree w/ this.... I'd rather leave the current n80, than to (basically) extend the 74 to sunrise....

N86 - MIC - RF - HTC - JB

disagree w/ this one also.... it's just not practical; what group of riders is this catering to?

In other words, who's going from the Nassau Hub, etc. area to JB (or vice versa)......

We all have our likes and dislikes. I'm not going to argue over the N74, b/c I like it. But the N86, well... yeah. It's going.

N93 - Super Nassau Hub Shuttle (Fantasy)

well, at least it's creative, I'll give it that much.... may as well go ahead & have the route loop from Mineola, instead of ending it at RFM....

(in other words, have it go from Mineola, HTC, charles lindbergh, RFM, then back to Mineola)

Yup. Taken note. Will be changed.

VWM, what do you think?

Here's my idea for N2/N8. I might just use one number similar to N57 pattern.

This way people along Franklin Av wouldn't lost direct bus service to/from Green Acres Mall.

honestly, I wouldn't do that either but I'm working with the April 8 service cuts. The n2/8 are both going to Mineola at this point.

@ FamousNYLover

Well, this is a great idea. Will Be added. However b/c i'm working with april 8th cuts, the 23 wont serve Mineola b/c it's basically getting re-routed as i state below to replace the n27 off peak.

NICE's current plan is to have it on Hillside, Roslyn and Glen Cove Rd.

Yep, that way this n50 alignment will gain ridership, mainly because Mineola Intermodal/Roosevelt Field/HTC is in or around the Nassau Hub and a number of bus lines and transportation options. People in Glen Cove and the North Shore will also have a more direct option so they'll just probably have to do 1 transfer instead of 2 or more.

The n44 would get zero to none ridership, my n77 alignment would work, despite going thru conjested areas in Syosset, I might make it go east then back west a bit to "connect" with the n79 however it's not cost effective.

I got rid of the N86 just b/c it served a redundant purpose...

I don't get what you're saying about the N44/77/79 tho... What I see is that... um...

You want the N44 to go to glen cove and I should revive the N87...

or I should keep the N86 so people can transfer from the N23/27 @ HTC...

And about the N77 bit.. well I don't really think it would work to rerout it via Oyster Bay... I stated I kept the N44 on b/c now it is clearly labeled under (fantasy).

I am saying don't run the n44, run the n77 via Plainview, via Syosset to Oyster Bay, it would work that way. And the n44 your planning would have such a low ridership, your putting pocket change in, but fantasy understood.

Er... meh. I like it how it is. Do you think I should run some n77 peak only runs to Oyster Bay?

Archived