The MTA's Misplaced Priorities

BrooklynBus

"These fare and toll hikes, at least for 2013 and 2015, will not go toward any restoration of services that were cut back in 2010, or to any service increases."

of course those monies won't go towards restoring lost services.....

While the MTA has no money to restore any service cuts, amazingly they can find an additional $6 million to rip out granite barricades, just installed in 2010 at the renovated Atlantic Terminal, and replace them with less intrusive metal bollards.

Whether that particular construction was justified/necessary or not, I don't know....

But as far as the basic point here:

...which is why I don't believe any solitary person or agency that cries broke....

It's amazing what & where "broke" entities find money from all of a sudden, to allocate it to whatever it is they really want to shell out money for....

What is the MTA’s real motive here? Do they really want to install these tablets to improve information? Or, such as with the Help Point Intercoms, is the MTA’s real motive to reduce the amount of human labor needed to post all those weekly service update notices, enabling them to further reduce its workforce?

If you ask me...... little from column A, little from column B....

Good chance they're installing these tablets to cater/appeal to out-of-towners (and also, it adds to decor; makes the station(s) appear less primitive).... as well as to cut down on staff; hell, you already see the stations that resemble empty shells where booths & S/A's once situated.....

- "No More Service Cutbacks"... yeah, I'll believe this when I (don't) see it....

- "The Help Point Intercom".... hmpf, I view em as nothin more than decor... the bright blue light that emanates from it, does illuminate that end of the Brooklyn Bridge station.... I have yet to see anyone use any of those things myself....

- "More Trains Needed But Not Planned"... Like I said in other threads, how many more TPH are they gonna add .... it's an eventual catch-22; subway usage is increasing (some would say peaking), but if you start adding more trains all over the place, you will sit there & continue to watch efficiency go straight down the toilet... then you'll really start hearing complaints about delays.... you think it's bad now.... lol....

"the six trains ahead of us will be moving shortly... please be patient"

Nonetheless, good article.

- "More Trains Needed But Not Planned"... Like I said in other threads, how many more TPH are they gonna add .... it's an eventual catch-22; subway usage is increasing (some would say peaking), but if you start adding more trains all over the place, you will sit there & continue to watch efficiency go straight down the toilet... then you'll really start hearing complaints about delays.... you think it's bad now.... lol....

"the six trains ahead of us will be moving shortly... please be patient"

Nonetheless, good article.

Thanks.

No one is talking about adding trains during rush hours on some lines when there is no more capacity to do so. But there are lines where capacity does exist if the crowding becomes too great. Also, one of the links stated that weekend ridership has also soared. There is no reason why on a Sunday you should still be squeezed in like a sardine when you can add trains and don't.

Thanks.

No one is talking about adding trains during rush hours on some lines when there is no more capacity to do so. But there are lines where capacity does exist if the crowding becomes too great. Also, one of the links stated that weekend ridership has also soared. There is no reason why on a Sunday you should still be squeezed in like a sardine when you can add trains and don't.

Yeah, well you didn't make that clear in the article.... So I made it a point of contention in my commentary.

Archived