Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

Yonkers Depot

I have a few questions about Yonkers Depot...

For one, I get the impression that there are a lot of fillers. For the past few days now I've been using the same buses at the same times and I've noticed that you only get the same driver a few times and then there's a different guy. Is that just Yonkers or are most lines run by (MTA) Bus like that?

I was also wondering if there are a lot of drivers out of Yonkers Depot because the depot only has 80 buses, all of which are MCIs to my knowledge.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking....

Is your concern here one of, how come you don't have a particular driver assigned to a particular run everyday?

If so, there's really no way any of us can answer that.... There used to be a member here that went by the the name of "The Hat" (if I'm gettin that correct) that worked/works out of yonkers... he could directly answer this question....

IMO, it can't be that most other MTA bus depots are ran like that, b/c I would often get 1 of 2 drivers when I'd take that last pm QM16 [FRK]; it's either an older white guy, or a younger black guy (looks like he's around our age); I know that description does no justice (lol), but I know them when I see them obviously.... that 2nd to last QM17 [FRK] that arrives 10 mins before the 16 I get on, is usually this black female.....

....and I tend to see the same driver on the 8pm BM2 [sC] of the night (he reminds me of jack mccoy, from law & order)... everytime he sees me, he greets me (guess he remembers from the time... well, I won't say, since I don't wanna get no one in trouble).... and there's this heavy set black guy that always does the BM3 [sC] (weekdays or on a saturday, don't matter... I tend to end up on his bus....)

Whether this is a Yonkers thing though, I don't know.... but I will concur with your assessment that you do tend to see an array of b/o's handling a particular run... of all the times I would take that last BxM18 out of lower manhattan (haven't taken it recently, but I believe it leaves around 7:15-7:20pm IIRC), I don't think I ever had the same driver....

If none of this is what you're inquiring about, then just ignore the post..... or clarify yourself further, if you want....

I have a few questions about Yonkers Depot...

For one, I get the impression that there are a lot of fillers. For the past few days now I've been using the same buses at the same times and I've noticed that you only get the same driver a few times and then there's a different guy. Is that just Yonkers or are most lines run by (MTA) Bus like that?

Usually depends on their runs during the week, an operator can have a run on a route for a couple of days and then have another run on another route on them other days.

Usually depends on their runs during the week, an operator can have a run on a route for a couple of days and then have another run on another route on them other days.

That's pretty interesting. I was always under the impression that the B/O would pick one run on a steady basis and of course could have a few other runs on the side until the next pick came around. I find that the guys that have more seniority tend to do that moreso though. My uncle for example likes the crosstown routes for whatever reason. He usually does the M23 or the M79.

Yonkers is a small depot which only have about 100 operators. As far as operators being on a particular run, it all depends on the run/ days off and base on the seniority.

Yonkers is a small depot which only have about 100 operators. As far as operators being on a particular run, it all depends on the run/ days off and base on the seniority.

100 B/Os for a depot with 80 buses isn't too shabby actually. The funny thing about some of them is that they're quite crabby though, while many of them are very cool. From what I've witnessed the folks on the express buses are pretty cordial and speak usually so I'm not sure what they're so snarky/stand offish about.

The ones that speak when I speak to them or vice versa I speak to and the others well... I treat them the same way they treat us passengers... As if they don't exist.

100 B/Os for a depot with 80 buses isn't too shabby actually. The funny thing about some of them is that they're quite crabby though, while many of them are very cool. From what I've witnessed the folks on the express buses are pretty cordial and speak usually so I'm not sure what they're so snarky/stand offish about.

The ones that speak when I speak to them or vice versa I speak to and the others well... I treat them the same way they treat us passengers... As if they don't exist.

What's funny since you said some of the drivers are quite crabby, when I was in ECH doing the express, a lot of the drivers out of YO would never give you a brake meaning let you pass if you trying to get around a yellow cab and ect, and they also quick to cut you off and ect. When it comes to express in the city, YO and a lot of the drivers out of S I takes the cake when it comes to non helping out. When that occurs most of the time that operator still gets caught at the same light as me so I just look at them SMH.

What's funny since you said some of the drivers are quite crabby, when I was in ECH doing the express, a lot of the drivers out of YO would never give you a brake meaning let you pass if you trying to get around a yellow cab and ect, and they also quick to cut you off and ect. When it comes to express in the city, YO and a lot of the drivers out of S I takes the cake when it comes to non helping out. When that occurs most of the time that operator still gets caught at the same light as me so I just look at them SMH.

LOL... Well I will say that despite some of them being crabby, they do drive and will do their best to get you to your destination on time. They'll take all sorts of short cuts. On the BxM18 it is supposed to take about 40 minutes to get to my stop from Midtown and I get into my apt. w/a stop at the supermarket sometimes in 30 minutes. lol

They also don't leave early too I notice. They'll wait the entire time at the stop until they are on time. I was walking to my stop a few weeks ago and saw a BxM2 there already H.H. Pkwy E. and 239th and was thinking s*it I'm going to have to wait another 30 minutes for the next one, but then I remembered that they always wait, so I didn't even bother to run since I knew he was early. I walked over to the stop and he let me on and stayed there until it was time for him to leave. :cool:

I can overlook the crabbiness/snarkiness for the two things I mentioned above anyday. lol

That's pretty interesting. I was always under the impression that the B/O would pick one run on a steady basis and of course could have a few other runs on the side until the next pick came around. I find that the guys that have more seniority tend to do that moreso though.

Yup, usually depends on what work is available at the depot. Sometimes its one route on that run and then other times two routes.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking....

Is your concern here one of, how come you don't have a particular driver assigned to a particular run everyday?

If so, there's really no way any of us can answer that.... There used to be a member here that went by the the name of "The Hat" (if I'm gettin that correct) that worked/works out of yonkers... he could directly answer this question....

IMO, it can't be that most other MTA bus depots are ran like that, b/c I would often get 1 of 2 drivers when I'd take that last pm QM16 [FRK]; it's either an older white guy, or a younger black guy (looks like he's around our age); I know that description does no justice (lol), but I know them when I see them obviously.... that 2nd to last QM17 [FRK] that arrives 10 mins before the 16 I get on, is usually this black female.....

....and I tend to see the same driver on the 8pm BM2 [sC] of the night (he reminds me of jack mccoy, from law & order)... everytime he sees me, he greets me (guess he remembers from the time... well, I won't say, since I don't wanna get no one in trouble).... and there's this heavy set black guy that always does the BM3 [sC] (weekdays or on a saturday, don't matter... I tend to end up on his bus....)

Whether this is a Yonkers thing though, I don't know.... but I will concur with your assessment that you do tend to see an array of b/o's handling a particular run... of all the times I would take that last BxM18 out of lower manhattan (haven't taken it recently, but I believe it leaves around 7:15-7:20pm IIRC), I don't think I ever had the same driver....

If none of this is what you're inquiring about, then just ignore the post..... or clarify yourself further, if you want....

Yes that's exactly what I was referring to... I waited tonight for the last BxM18 and man am I pissed. I'm standing at the stop at 44th & Madison and the B/O pulls into a so called "stop" at 43rd & Madison (that pole that says "Bus Stop" with no actual bus stop signage or timetable near that Daffy's store) where of course no one is waiting and then pulls into the middle of the street and waits at the light there at 43rd and Madison, so I'm thinking great I'll just hail the guy down. I go into the street to hail him and I mean I had my hands out waiving for him to stop and he proceeds to drive right by me and he wasn't driving that fast obviously since he had been at the light, so how in world did he not see me? All I have to say is that I've made so phone calls about this because I am not going to tolerate having to damn there be run over every night or having the bus drive past me.

I already spoke to a dispatcher at Yonkers Depot tonight and made a stink about it since I have yet to hear back from the MTA about this issue after writing in when this originally started a few weeks ago. I also complained about not having a consistent driver which he acknowledged as well.

He said he was going to look into the bus stop issue, but I'm especially pissed because I'm pretty positive that I've had this guy a few times before because he also drives on the BxM2 and the BxM1. In fact I think the last time I had him was Sunday afternoon heading to the city on the BxM1, so I'm sure he's seen me a few times and he just kept his head straight and drove right by. I also made a stink with the B/O on the BxM2 that I took him tonight about it who said that 43rd and Madison is not a stop (I can tell he's an old timer), but the B/O that drove by must go by the run sheet. The dispatcher told me that the MTA creates the run sheets, which means that they've been so nice to change that but haven't updated the schedule on the website to reflect the change, nor have they contacted the DOT to move the bus stop. I put in calls to a few other places and I am awaiting an answer, but either way if this isn't resolved I'll be contacting some higher up folks because this is completely unacceptable. If I wait at that stupid stop on 43rd and Madison and the B/O decides not to stop there he'll just say that the timetable and stop is located at 44th & Madison. Aside from that I have yet to see any passenger waiting at 43rd and Madison for that bus. Everyone waits at 44th & Madison naturally because no one knows that the stop was changed.

Basically after speaking with the dispatcher tonight and talking with other B/Os out of Yonkers, it is clear that the BxM18 is almost like a tripper run and then those guys do runs on the BxM1 or BxM2 or just pull in. I know this for a fact because when I was first preparing to move up to Riverdale I would catch say the 18:22 BxM18 from Midtown and then catch say the 20:23 BxM2 back to the city and I would get the same driver I had on the BxM18. They must get a little break of an hour or so (dinner break maybe) before heading back Downtown, which would make sense as well.

Yonkers still goes by the one bus per operator thing doesn't it? Reason I ask is I've seen 3186 on the BxM18 pass me literally every day at the same time with the same operator for a good four weeks in a row now; you'd never see the same bus running like that on a Transit line.

Edited by MHV9218

In the meantime, can't you just take a bus up to Madison & 56th? I mean, it sucks that they can't get the stops straight, but it'll save you the stress of having to wonder whether he'll stop or not. I mean, he pretty much has to stop since it's a transfer point.

They also don't leave early too I notice. They'll wait the entire time at the stop until they are on time. I was walking to my stop a few weeks ago and saw a BxM2 there already H.H. Pkwy E. and 239th and was thinking s*it I'm going to have to wait another 30 minutes for the next one, but then I remembered that they always wait, so I didn't even bother to run since I knew he was early. I walked over to the stop and he let me on and stayed there until it was time for him to leave. :cool:

According to a B/O on the M2, if he shows up to 145th early, he gets in tons of trouble. I would assume the same applies for the YO workers, but you take express buses more often then I do tough.

In the meantime, can't you just take a bus up to Madison & 56th? I mean, it sucks that they can't get the stops straight, but it'll save you the stress of having to wonder whether he'll stop or not. I mean, he pretty much has to stop since it's a transfer point.

Well perhaps but the other problem has been that they assume that you're not getting on. Even the buses that have stopped we've had to basically hail them down because they assume we're all waiting for the BxM6, which also annoys me because they shouldn't be assuming anything. Make the damn stop and if no one is getting on then you move on. Period. The other issue with 56th & Madison is that it too is a shared stop with the Madison Av local buses and as I said, some of them assume folks aren't getting on, so if they bypass that stop which can happen, then I'd have to walk over to the BxM2 and wait at 6th & Central Park South. That stop is another issue in that there are always Staten Island express buses double parked there and I waited there once and was almost bypassed. The guy made the friggin stop or shall I say looked to see if someone was getting on way over where the local buses stop at and then continued to drive and blew by me and only stopped after a passenger on the bus saw me waiving the bus down and told him to stop. He was extremely nervous and apologizing and I was a bit annoyed but understanding since he was blocked by some buses parked about, so I accepted his apology. What really needs to happen is that the BxM18 stop needs to be moved to 43rd and Madison so that we have our own stop and I also want the BxM2 stop moved to a better location. There are always Yukon buses totally blocking the stop by Central Park. Finally I think the 56th street stop could be moved. In sum we have to share our bus stops with too many other buses and it creates too much confusion IMO. Either way I'm going to make a stink about this situation until this is resolved, even if it means making a personal trip to Yonkers Depot. I'm even considering some other avenues which I won't get into, but it would involve writing a formal complaint along the grounds of discrimination.

According to a B/O on the M2, if he shows up to 145th early, he gets in tons of trouble. I would assume the same applies for the YO workers, but you take express buses more often then I do tough.

Well the thing is on the Manhattanville routes, esp. the Madison Av lines, if they show up early those folks will write in and make a stink, similar to us folks here in Riverdale and you have to especially be careful in these areas because you don't know who knows who and if anyone actually works at the MTA. I know at least one board member on the MTA lives here in Riverdale and may very well use the express bus to get in.

Yonkers still goes by the one bus per operator thing doesn't it? Reason I ask is I've seen 3186 on the BxM18 pass me literally every day at the same time with the same operator for a good four weeks in a row now; you'd never see the same bus running like that on a Transit line.

LOL... I knew I wasn't just dreaming! I asked about buses being assigned to routes earlier in this thread and I was told that that doesn't happen, however everytime that I get the 08:53 BxM1 I always get 3185 regardless of the driver. I usually get this black driver, but today I got a Latina I believe who had a rather nasty attitude. She got extremely cranky because someone requested the 96th st stop late. Was pretty mouthy for whatever reason and then several of us got off at 42nd & Lex and wished her a good day, etc. she acted like she barely wanted to speak. There are only express bus runs out of Yonkers, so unless she's new I'm sure she knows the routine on the Riverdale buses. I speak to all of the B/Os unless they're complete a-holes and they usually greet you when you get on or at least acknowledge you. Just the way it is which is pretty cool to be honest.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well tonight was BEAUTIFUL.... I went to the MTA office this afternoon and got a contact to call. In any event, I'm not sure if it was my complaining OR the guy who gets on with me speaking with one of his contacts at the MTA, but I imagine it was a combination of both since I've been making a stink since I was first bypassed last Wednesday. 19:44 rolled around and me and the other guy that gets on at 44th & Madison are talking about who we talked to today and such at the MTA. Anywho we see a guy in an MTA jacket that looks like a dispatcher and then we talked about how the buses keep stopping at 43rd street & Madison and bypassing the actual stop at 44th & Madison.

The dispatcher overheard us talking and then looked over and said "Don't worry about it! He's not getting by here tonight!!" LOL!! So low and behold the B/O (the original guy that started this whole thing by almost bypassing my stop) pulls into 43rd street and then does his usual pull into the middle lane and wait at the light. The dispatcher then stepped into the street and ordered him to stop right at the stop once the light changed. The B/O held the bus apparently telling him that 44th & Madison wasn't the stop, but the dispatcher told him that it was and ordered him to open the door for us. The B/O then showed him the route sheet which still has 43rd & Madison listed as the stop. Long story short, the dispatcher informed the B/O that the problem will be resolved by the end of the week and that apparently the stop will be moved to 43rd & Madison to correspond with the drop off Southbound location in the morning of 5th & 43rd. In any event, I told that B/O that I still plan on making some phone calls tomorrow to follow up on everything since I have a contact there. The sweetest thing about all of this is that I didn't even call my uncle to see if he had any contacts.

I tell ya... Can't screw around with Riverdale... Either folks work with the MTA up here or they know someone in the MTA. :cool:

From what I was told by the B/O apparently the stop was supposed to be moved to 43rd & Madison but they never got around to moving the stop for some odd reason.. In any event, I am feeling pretty good about myself tonight. Hard work always pays off and I was determined to get my stop back!! :cool:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8