What to do if SBS fare machines are out of service

East New York

If you happen to come across an SBS bus stop with both MetroCard fare machines broken, call the MTA immediately at 718-330-1234 or 511. Even if one machine is broken, you are advised to still call the MTA at your earliest convenience, as they may not be aware of the situation.

If both machines are broken, you may board the bus, then notify operator of the situation. At the next stop, exit the bus, pay the fare, and the operator should then let you re-board. Either way, the best thing to do is call the MTA immediately. In the event you are stopped by a Fare Inspector, the situation will already be documented, and logged into the MTA system.

If you happen to come across an SBS bus stop with both MetroCard fare machines broken, call the MTA immediately at 718-330-1234 or 511. Even if one machine is broken, you are advised to still call the MTA at your earliest convenience, as they may not be aware of the situation.

If both machines are broken, you may board the bus, then notify operator of the situation. At the next stop, exit the bus, pay the fare, and the operator should then let you re-board. Either way, the best thing to do is call the MTA immediately. In the event you are stopped by a Fare Inspector, the situation will already be documented, and logged into the MTA system.

Great advice right there. Now lets see if Brooklyn gets with the program if the +SBS+ machines breakdown. *a glorious field day on the B44+SBS+*

I always wondered about this myself, and this morning when I was headed to work, both M15 SBS machines were out of service at 125th and 2Av. About 9 people boarded without reciepts. I jumped on the local instead, and called the TA enroute, because I'll be damned if i get a fine for farebeating! Another lady and I were only goint to 116th so it wasn't a big deal for us, but everyone else was pissed.

I always wondered about this myself, and this morning when I was headed to work, both M15 SBS machines were out of service at 125th and 2Av. About 9 people boarded without reciepts. I jumped on the local instead, and called the TA enroute, because I'll be damned if i get a fine for farebeating! Another lady and I were only goint to 116th so it wasn't a big deal for us, but everyone else was pissed.

There was actually an incident where a guy was given a fine on the M15 SBS for not having his ticket, but the stop he got on at had both machines broken. I heard about the story on NY1, but I never heard what the end result was. Was the case thrown out or was he stuck paying the fine? In any event he did have to show up to court and take a day from work, so even if he didn't have to pay, he was still inconvenienced. Just throwing that out there as well in case it happens to anyone else. :)

I wonder if taking a pic of the broken machines would also help in preventing the agent from pulling you off the bus and handing a fine? If it was one stop ago, it shouldn't be that hard to go back and find the machines.

I've done that at the Seaport stop heading uptown, showed him the photo for proof and he let me pay the fare outside at Catherine Street.

There was actually an incident where a guy was given a fine on the M15 SBS for not having his ticket, but the stop he got on at had both machines broken. I heard about the story on NY1, but I never heard what the end result was. Was the case thrown out or was he stuck paying the fine? In any event he did have to show up to court and take a day from work, so even if he didn't have to pay, he was still inconvenienced. Just throwing that out there as well in case it happens to anyone else. :D

The question is, did he notify the driver?

The question is, did he notify the driver?

That I can't recall for sure, but in any event, I'm sure the (MTA) can find out which machines were broken when. Personally I think the suit should've been thrown out. I don't think passengers should have to go through all of that aggravation. If the machine is broken there should be an easy way for (MTA) personnel to check on the spot. Afterall, if you've got to go through all of that you're better off not even bothering with the SBS bus. Just take the local bus.

I've done that at the Seaport stop heading uptown, showed him the photo for proof and he let me pay the fare outside at Catherine Street.

Same here. Both machines were out at the top of the line at 125. I told the driver and he waited for us at 116th to get our receipts and then waved off the Eagle team at the following stop.

It happened to me at Whitehall before...both machines were out so the dispatcher there told all the drivers to stop at Wall St and wait for everyone to get off and pay their fare from there.

...then the goon squad (my name for the checkers lol) was at Catherine St and pulled off about 3 people cuz they didn't pay at Wall St, plus it played over the radio for the drivers.

Same here. Both machines were out at the top of the line at 125. I told the driver and he waited for us at 116th to get our receipts and then waved off the Eagle team at the following stop.

That's what I was told to do as well. Seems like there are multiple problems with the machines at 125 then. I was there another time when only one of the machines were broke, but I didn't think much of it because we had the other one.

Only problem is you're at the mercy of the B/O....

Why is that a problem? They know that if a set of machines are broke they have to stop at the next stop.

It happened to me at Whitehall before...both machines were out so the dispatcher there told all the drivers to stop at Wall St and wait for everyone to get off and pay their fare from there.

...then the goon squad (my name for the checkers lol) was at Catherine St and pulled off about 3 people cuz they didn't pay at Wall St, plus it played over the radio for the drivers.

lol. They probably figured they didn't have to pay, and would get lucky and no one would be checking the bus. The only thing that I think is stupid is how they hold the bus up to do a check. They should do it while the bus is in motion, and just exit the next stop.

That has happened to me too many times to count at White Plains rd & Pelham Pkwy stop on Bx12. I just got on the bus and when to where I was going like everyone else. Its not my fault its broken. Thats a very busy stop so if MTA actually did check there would be 30 other ppl who didn't pay cuz of broken machines & make my explanation credible.

I know of one time someone said the machine was broken and they made them pay at the next stop and get back on, which I'd be willing to do.

Maybe the the newer machines they upgraded to are more reliable, someone might be able to speak to that. They had the newer style machines in Manhattan from the beginning there so that's all many ppl know.

Archived