MTA worker accused of punching woman

mark1447

(03/15/12) THE BRONX - A Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) employee was arrested for allegedly punching a passenger in the face this morning.

The victim's husband says his wife was rummaging through her purse to find the exact fare to ride the 6 train at the 138th Street station when the female MTA worker got into an argument with her.

According to the husband, the woman picked up his wife by the neck and punched her several times in the eye.

The victim was taken to Lincoln Hospital to be treated for her injuries.

Video:

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=311491&position=1&news_type=news

(Cable account required)

This is all I get, but no reason why she hit her:

An MTA worker is behind bars for allegedly hitting a straphanger in a Bronx subway station.

After arguing with a female straphanger early Thursday morning, station agent Phylathia Monroe jumped out of her booth at the No. 6 station at 138th Street and hit the rider, police and MTA officials said. She was later arrested by police on assault charges.

Police say the unidentified rider was not seriously injured.

Monroe, 45, has worked for the transit agency for nearly 20 years, MTA officials said Thursday, and may face disciplinary action pending the outcome of the ongoing police investigation.

A spokesman for the Bronx District Attorney’s office said he was unsure when Monroe would be arraigned, or if she had a lawyer.

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/subway-worker-leaves-booth-hits-straphanger-after-argument-officials-1.3605120

Hey, it's about time drivers fight back, I'm right behind her 100%. You can't deal with some people like seriously

It was a S/A not a driver.

And im 50/50 on this, because I don't know whos the one who started this issue or gets the blame.

Ether the women just didn't want to pay, and was just playing around to get a cheaper ride in, or something else occurred.

It was a S/A not a driver.

And im 50/50 on this, because I don't know whos the one who started this issue or gets the blame.

Ether the women just didn't want to pay, and was just playing around to get a cheaper ride in, or something else occurred.

Eh...who cares who started it. I'm still waiting for how that sorta reaction is justified if it happened at all.

Well this SHOULD explain.... But not 100%

Lack Of Exact Change Prompted MTA Worker To Allegedly Assault Subway Rider

Yesterday, a MTA worker was arrested for allegedly punching a subway rider in the face at the 138th Street 6 train station in the Bronx. Police said that Phylathia Monroe got out of the subway token booth to confront a passenger and then allegedly assaulted her. Last night, the victim, Janet Ojeda, told WCBS 2, "She came [out] and she swung me against the gate and she picked me up with one hand and she was just looking straight into my eyes … like… I started seeing a blur. And I’m trying to get air. And she could hear me, but she didn’t let go. It was scary. All I was thinking was if I was going to see my family again."

This unfolded at 5:30 a.m. and apparently Monroe got impatient with Ojeda: "Ojeda was going to work and was, she said, 10 cents short on a MetroCard when Monroe called for the next customer through. Ojeda said she found the dime, but that’s when the argument began. She claimed Monroe got out of the booth, put her finger in her face and punched her."

When Ojeda was freed, she went to a police station to file a report. Her lawyer, Justin Blitz, said, “This was a really big woman, and the victim is a really little lady," and added, "We intend to look at all the legal remedies on her behalf, and we’re confident we will be successful." Ojeda said, "I want justice. And she didn’t just assault me, she tried to kill me." So a lawsuit is totally on the way.

http://gothamist.com/2012/03/16/lack_of_exact_change_pushed_mta_wor.php

From WCBS:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/15/mta-employee-arrested-for-allegedly-punching-bronx-straphanger/

Guest lance25

That's still not an excuse to flat out punch someone in the face. I don't care if she was 10 cent or 10 dollars short. Though I'd still like to hear the S/A's side of this because it sounds a bit suspicious. I'm not saying it's outside the realm of possibility; just saying there's something missing in this story.

That's still not an excuse to flat out punch someone in the face. I don't care if she was 10 cent or 10 dollars short. Though I'd still like to hear the S/A's side of this because it sounds a bit suspicious. I'm not saying it's outside the realm of possibility; just saying there's something missing in this story.

I definitely know there's still a LOT that got left out of this story, but they choose to make the customer the victim despite whatever stupidity they've committed to make someone snap in such a way. I damn well know it wasn't 10 cents! Someone stepped out of line!

I agree.

If she doesn't have money, then don't let her in. If she gets in, call up control and ask to dispatch the police.

Hitting someone doesn't resolve anything. Unless the lady with the money started, then yeah then its her fault. But unknown at this time.

Customer service is no joke on the nerves. Some people, as the aforementioned, snap. Since I took this promotion from Conductor my stress level has actually gone down. There's no excuse for what happened but I'd be sure it wasn't only that woman that led to her snapping. My mother started as a Token Booth Clerk in the early 80s and she's got a lot of stories–all of them do...

Archived