Bus Stop Dilemma

Via Garibaldi 8

So it seems as if my stop on the BxM18 has a problem. ;) The BxM18s have almost passed my stop a few times this week. :mad: It happened tonight where the last bus almost blew by until I put my hand out and then the B/O stopped, albeit almost at the next street. Let's just say that I was fuming because this is the second or third time this week that this has almost happened. :mad::mad:

At first I thought the B/O was just going too fast to stop or perhaps that he was bypassing me simply because he assumed that I wasn't getting on, but then I recall a few other folks being at the stop and the same thing happened. :( In any event I had already decided that I was writing to the (MTA) because I had already overlooked it twice in one week, giving the B/O the benefit of the doubt since I've only just started to become a regular on the line this week and the line has a lot of filler B/Os on it. The problem is that it has been the same B/O two out of the three times, so that's why I was going to write in because I couldn't understand how in the world he wouldn't know that the stop was there after having almost bypassed the stop twice now in the same week.

As I was about to get off, the B/O stopped me and asked that I write in because there was a problem. I was about to walk off but decided to hear him out since he had been very nice in my previous rides on his bus. He took the time to actually show me his run sheet with the stops printed on it since I was the last one getting off and it showed that there is supposedly a stop at 43rd and Madison (which I've never seen before, esp. seeing that I'm on Madison Avenue and 43rd almost everyday). :confused: Meanwhile the stop is at 44th & Madison where the BxM6 stop is and shows at 44th & Madison on the (MTA) website. Who is responsible for the mix up and who should I contact to rectify the problem quickly? I know the (MTA) is the immediate answer, but this needs to be dealt with quickly so I'm not sure if writing in will resolve things fast seeing that it could take months before they reply. This guy will probably be doing another run next week, so I could be in for another rollercoaster ride come Monday. :o

Also wondering why can't we get a regular B/O on the BxM18? We get nothing but fillers. The line has 7 runs each way so they should be able to put some regulars on it. :tdown:

So it seems as if my stop on the BxM18 has a problem. ;) The BxM18s have almost passed my stop a few times this week. :mad: It happened tonight where the last bus almost blew by until I put my hand out and then the B/O stopped, albeit almost at the next street. Let's just say that I was fuming because this is the second or third time this week that this has almost happened. :mad::mad:

At first I thought the B/O was just going too fast to stop or perhaps that he was bypassing me simply because he assumed that I wasn't getting on, but then I recall a few other folks being at the stop and the same thing happened. :( In any event I had already decided that I was writing to the (MTA) because I had already overlooked it twice in one week, giving the B/O the benefit of the doubt since I've only just started to become a regular on the line this week and the line has a lot of filler B/Os on it. The problem is that it has been the same B/O two out of the three times, so that's why I was going to write in because I couldn't understand how in the world he wouldn't know that the stop was there after having almost bypassed the stop twice now in the same week.

As I was about to get off, the B/O stopped me and asked that I write in because there was a problem. I was about to walk off but decided to hear him out since he had been very nice in my previous rides on his bus. He took the time to actually show me his run sheet with the stops printed on it since I was the last one getting off and it showed that there is supposedly a stop at 43rd and Madison (which I've never seen before, esp. seeing that I'm on Madison Avenue and 43rd almost everyday). :confused: Meanwhile the stop is at 44th & Madison where the BxM6 stop is and shows at 44th & Madison on the (MTA) website. Who is responsible for the mix up and who should I contact to rectify the problem quickly? I know the (MTA) is the immediate answer, but this needs to be dealt with quickly so I'm not sure if writing in will resolve things fast seeing that it could take months before they reply. This guy will probably be doing another run next week, so I could be in for another rollercoaster ride come Monday. :o

Also wondering why can't we get a regular B/O on the BxM18? We get nothing but fillers. The line has 7 runs each way so they should be able to put some regulars on it. :tdown:

Wow, no one told me jabroni storytime was tonight!

Perhaps no one picked that run, so the XL guys will rotate off the run til someone picks it, which the pick should be coming up soon for MTABC. MTA is not gonna set a guy on a run he doesn't like, unless they pick it or it's forced to one of the new guys.

As for your issue in general, you can probably contact MTA and DOT to have necessary adjustments made to the stands and alert the bus ops where the actual bus stands are, ya know? The only problem with this, by mentioning certain days and the specific run, it's a chance the GS will call those operators into the office for unnecessary questioning, when the brains behind who wrote the stops in should have it corrected.

Perhaps no one picked that run, so the XL guys will rotate off the run til someone picks it, which the pick should be coming up soon for MTABC. MTA is not gonna set a guy on a run he doesn't like, unless they pick it or it's forced to one of the new guys.

As for your issue in general, you can probably contact MTA and DOT to have necessary adjustments made to the stands and alert the bus ops where the actual bus stands are, ya know? The only problem with this, by mentioning certain days and the specific run, it's a chance the GS will call those operators into the office for unnecessary questioning, when the brains behind who wrote the stops in should have it corrected.

The problem is the B/O himself advised me to write to the (MTA) because he said he probably won't be doing the run next week, which means we'll face the same dilemma of being passed by for weeks to come. I'm going to have to write to them today and hope that this can be rectified quickly. I can omit the fact that it has been the last bus of the night doing this for the past week this way they won't know which bus it is.

You already blabbed it out all over the Internet, though, :P

Oh well too bad. If I miss that BxM18 I have to walk over to the BxM1 or BxM2. The BxM18 gets me home in 30 minutes, and I value my commute time. I'm also requesting that the stop be moved officially to 43rd and Madison because those street grates and not exactly that safe to be standing on waiting for a bus, especially if it is snowing or raining out.

The BxM18 obv. no likey you. Lolllllllllllllllllllll

You're telling me. Maybe it's just certain ones. The 18:22 never passed me by! :confused: Then again the guy driving was usually a rookie who was trained by one of the older B/Os so he showed him where all of the stops were.

Sometimes you gotta stand in the street to flag the bus down. Just because you're standing at the stop doesn't necessarily mean that you may be waiting for a bus (as bizarre as it sounds, trust me I've seen cases like this). There are some people who flag the bus at the last second, and then there are the people who don't flag the bus and expects it to stop. Then there are people who keep flagging the bus until the bus comes to a stop, yet the person is still flagging as if their arm is getting ready to fall off even after the bus stops in front of them. Smh.

Sometimes you gotta stand in the street to flag the bus down. Just because you're standing at the stop doesn't necessarily mean that you may be waiting for a bus (as bizarre as it sounds, trust me I've seen cases like this). There are some people who flag the bus at the last second, and then there are the people who don't flag the bus and expects it to stop. Then there are people who keep flagging the bus until the bus comes to a stop, yet the person is still flagging as if their arm is getting ready to fall off even after the bus stops in front of them. Smh.

Well yeah, I do that actually for the BM3 if I'm getting on at say Ocean and Avenue X because they have a tendency to not stop along Ocean Avenue. However, the BxM1, BxM2, and BxM18 will stop even if no one is there to ensure that they stay on time, that's why I found it strange that he was flying by. Usually for other routes, I just position myself as if to indicate that I'm getting on and that's sufficient. You usually can tell who is getting on the express bus and who isn't. Just one of those things.

Depending where you are, some stops have different poles for locals and expresses. At the Tysens Lane stop, there is a large gap between the S78/S79 stop and the X1-9 stop, most likely because Tysens/Hylan is the beginning point for the X2/3/9.

Depending where you are, some stops have different poles for locals and expresses. At the Tysens Lane stop, there is a large gap between the S78/S79 stop and the X1-9 stop, most likely because Tysens/Hylan is the beginning point for the X2/3/9.

Uh huh. For the Riverdale buses it seems to be wash. Sometimes there are lines formed but only if there's a lot of folks, otherwise folks just sort of get on knowing who came when and don't skip and such. For shared stops seems like we try to separate ourselves and form our own line if possible. I will say that those folks love their Upper East Side bus though. The BxM2 gets good usage too but the BxM1 is the big boy out of the three routes in the area.

Just because you're standing at the stop doesn't necessarily mean that you may be waiting for a bus (as bizarre as it sounds, trust me I've seen cases like this).

yup.... and it aint as bizarre, or rare an actuality as some might believe....

OTOH, what's the b/o to do; blow past the stop or pull the bus into the stop for someone that isn't waiting for a bus (which the b/o has no way of knowing).... quiet is as kept, you do have some drivers that blow past stops (for whatever their reasons)..... of course, part of the job is serve all stops along a route if there's someone standing at a stop, or requesting (by bell) that they wanna get off....

which brings me to another point..... It's kinda like someone ringing the bell on the bus, when they're (or no one else's) gettin off.... the b/o has absolutely no way of knowing that "oops, it was a mistake", or if some kid is playing w/ the bell (which I find highly annoying), etc. etc..... So the b/o has to stop at that next stop regardless.....

yup.... and it aint as bizarre, or rare an actuality as some might believe....

OTOH, what's the b/o to do; blow past the stop or pull the bus into the stop for someone that isn't waiting for a bus (which the b/o has no way of knowing).... quiet is as kept, you do have some drivers that blow past stops (for whatever their reasons)..... of course, part of the job is serve all stops along a route if there's someone standing at a stop, or requesting (by bell) that they wanna get off....

which brings me to another point..... It's kinda like someone ringing the bell on the bus, when they're (or no one else's) gettin off.... the b/o has absolutely no way of knowing that "oops, it was a mistake", or if some kid is playing w/ the bell (which I find highly annoying), etc. etc..... So the b/o has to stop at that next stop regardless.....

I remember one time my dad said he was on the M31, and a guy was just standing at the bus stop, so the B/O pulled in and tapped the horn a few times, and then the guy looked up and waved him on. The B/O told him that you can't be too careful in an area like the UES because there's more likely to be a wealthy businessman or somebody who will report you if you make the slightest mistake.

And yeah, I hate it when people ring the bell and don't get off. I've seen some drivers say "If somebody rings the bell and nobody gets off, you're all getting off". It inconveniences the people who just want to get where they're going, but I can see it from the B/O's point of view. I've also seen a few cases where, if it's a tripper (where the kids like to ring the bell) and it's a stop where nobody uses it, the B/O will bypass it, and usually nobody complains.

Personally, it's one of my pet peeves as well, especially if it causes us to miss a traffic light or something, so now you're adding the time spent at the stop, plus the time spent at the traffic light. I especially hate it if somebody's doing it just to be malicious (instead of it being an honest mistake). I'm like "Idiots, maybe you have all the time in the world, but I have places to be". :mad:

My rule is to always flag a bus down. Because they don't know if you're actually waiting for the bus, or to cross the street. Some people may have just "alighted" from another bus.

Wave and you'll get picked up, unless the bus is packed. If multiple buses are in a row, then point at the bus you want. Move out the way of the first bus so the 2nd bus can see you and point, especially when multiple routes are on the same road. The drivers should take into account that the other bus is either another route, a limited bus, etc.

I remember one time my dad said he was on the M31, and a guy was just standing at the bus stop, so the B/O pulled in and tapped the horn a few times, and then the guy looked up and waved him on. The B/O told him that you can't be too careful in an area like the UES because there's more likely to be a wealthy businessman or somebody who will report you if you make the slightest mistake.

Yeah, the M31 drivers are extremely cautious about it, and it sometimes gets annoying because that route is so ridiculously slow that I'd rather just take a cab if I'm traveling along York. A couple months ago my friend dropped me off at an M31 bus stop on York Avenue, and a bus pulled in right behind us right as I got out and close the door. The bus driver waited until I walked away from the bus stop before closing the doors and continuing on.

My rule is to always flag a bus down. Because they don't know if you're actually waiting for the bus, or to cross the street. Some people may have just "alighted" from another bus.

Wave and you'll get picked up, unless the bus is packed. If multiple buses are in a row, then point at the bus you want. Move out the way of the first bus so the 2nd bus can see you and point, especially when multiple routes are on the same road. The drivers should take into account that the other bus is either another route, a limited bus, etc.

Yeah I know all of that. If I hadn't put my hand out for him he would've continued on. That isn't the issue here. The problem was that the B/Os had the stop on their sheet at 43rd and Madison instead of 44th and Madison, which explained why he started going towards the middle lane instead of the right lane upon reaching 44th & Madison. He may have saw me with my hand out AND saw the BxM18 stop and that's probably the only reason he stopped. I'm sure he didn't see a stop at 43rd and Madison but that doesn't mean that he knew the stop was elsewhere automatically.

Yeah, my rule is to always flag the bus. It depends on the particular stop as to how "hard" I'll flag him. Like for instance, if I'm at a shared stop, I'll make it very clear that I want a particular bus (especially if two buses come at once. If the one I want is in the back, I'll walk towards it as I'm flagging it). If it's at a stop where there's only one bus (or if there's only one bus pulling into a shared stop and it's a driver I regularly get), I'll just stick my hand out once and that'll be it.

I mean, some people say you look like an idiot waving your arm, but

I'd rather look like an idiot than miss my bus.

Yeah, the M31 drivers are extremely cautious about it, and it sometimes gets annoying because that route is so ridiculously slow that I'd rather just take a cab if I'm traveling along York. A couple months ago my friend dropped me off at an M31 bus stop on York Avenue, and a bus pulled in right behind us right as I got out and close the door. The bus driver waited until I walked away from the bus stop before closing the doors and continuing on.

So just to clarify, your friend dropped you off at the M31 stop, and the B/O wanted to make sure you weren't taking a bus.

Archived