Should MTA/Metro North expand funding for connecting bus lines to more locations?

Shortline Bus

Just an idea as I am aware that metro north is still in a fiscal crisis. Is there enough funding/money in near future for Metro North and (MTA)to create and expand connecting bus service to the following locations?

New seasonal service

1)FDR Park(Yorktown)/Bear Mountain-Peekskil Station

Summer weekend only

2)Dutchess Stadium(Hudson Valley Minor League team)and Splash Down-Beacon Station

Summer weekend only

3)Hunter Mountain(winters)Towns of Woodstock & Catskill, NY(summer)-Poughkeepsie station

Friday evenings from NYC and TO NYC Sunday evenings.

What you guys think?

First off, does MNR even provide the funding for secondary transportation for the current getaways or is it covered by the host?

Regardless, I could see Splashdown or HV Renagades as long as the host are willing to work with the railroad for ticket purchases. Hunter and Catskill/Woodstock is another story. Even from Poughkeepise it's a hike (an hour plus to get to those destinations). I know it works for Mohegan Sun but that's a bus to one specific destination where Mohegan Sun may cover the costs. Woodstock, while it's a nice little town I don't think it's feasible for either the town or MNR to cover those costs. Hunter, possibly, again provided Hunter is on board with the idea.

First off, does MNR even provide the funding for secondary transportation for the current getaways or is it covered by the host?

Regardless, I could see Splashdown or HV Renagades as long as the host are willing to work with the railroad for ticket purchases. Hunter and Catskill/Woodstock is another story. Even from Poughkeepise it's a hike (an hour plus to get to those destinations). I know it works for Mohegan Sun but that's a bus to one specific destination where Mohegan Sun may cover the costs. Woodstock, while it's a nice little town I don't think it's feasible for either the town or MNR to cover those costs. Hunter, possibly, again provided Hunter is on board with the idea.

I know for a while on summer weekends MNRR and Dutchess Loop Bus ran service between Downtown Beacon/DIA Musuem(I think DIA paid for it)and Beacon station. Then it was cut about 2 years ago.

Something like that (summer weekend service between Beacon and Reagades Park/SplashDown)could work but it should be restructured to also include SplashDown and Dutchess Stadium. Instead of Loop, Lechuchpran could run it instead.

As far as a connecting bus between Catskill/Woodstock/Hunter Mountain and Poughkeepsie (similar to the bus service between Wassic and the Berkshires over the summer)i suggested it since NY trailways bus currently only stops at Catskill and Woodstock around 2-3 trips a day to/from NYC. With that said, maybe that connecting bus service should be at either the Hudson, NY or Kingston-Rhinecliff Amtrak station.

With that said, maybe that connecting bus service should be at either the Hudson, NY or Kingston-Rhinecliff Amtrak station.

A bus from Rhinecliff or Hudson would be closer but now were talking a additional connection from the original intent. Would someone want to go to POK, transfer to Amtrak then a bus? Sure, one could go from Penn straight though but that takes out the MNR factor.

Trailways does from from the City of Poughkeepise (not Poughkeepsie Train Station) but that's the only terminal east of the Hudson River until you get to White Plains (where the bus terminal is across from the train station).

FYI the Berkshire bus connection was discontinued a couple of years ago.

Why doesn't Metro-North do what GO Transit does? Metro-North should supplement trains with commuter buses that would feed into stations.

Some route ideas are:

Harriman-Monroe-Chester-Goshen-Middletown

Sailsbury Mills-New Windsor-Newburgh-Beacon-Fishkill-Wappinger Falls-Hopewell Jct.-Pawling-Brewster-Danbury

Spring Valley-New City-West Haverstraw-Stony Point-Fort Montgomrey-Highland Falls

Why doesn't Metro-North do what GO Transit does? Metro-North should supplement trains with commuter buses that would feed into stations.

Some route ideas are:

Sailsbury Mills-New Windsor-Newburgh-Beacon-Fishkill-Wappinger Falls-Hopewell Jct.-Pawling-Brewster-Danbury

Spring Valley-New City-West Haverstraw-Stony Point-Fort Montgomrey-Highland Falls

Oh no. Not another QJ Einstein suggestions on bus service.:eek: 67th ruining a question on my idea/question of connecting shuttle buses to nearby towns and tourist locations.

Ladies and Gentlemen in many of those locations, there lack of demand for bus service.

On a route between Harriman-Monroe-Chester-Goshen-Middletown there already Coach USA/Shortline.

Ditto for Spring Valley-New City. While a Coach USA/Rockland Coaches serves West Havrestraw and Stony Point. While Coach USA/Shortline serves West Point area including Ft Montogmery.

And along the areas between New Windsor/Newburgh and Beacon there Stewart Airport link.

The point is 67th Ave if you say existing bus service should be increased that 1 thing. However there no need to connect all of the routes.

I know for a while on summer weekends MNRR and Dutchess Loop Bus ran service between Downtown Beacon/DIA Musuem(I think DIA paid for it)and Beacon station. Then it was cut about 2 years ago.

Something like that (summer weekend service between Beacon and Reagades Park/SplashDown)could work but it should be restructured to also include SplashDown and Dutchess Stadium. Instead of Loop, Lechuchpran could run it instead.

As far as a connecting bus between Catskill/Woodstock/Hunter Mountain and Poughkeepsie (similar to the bus service between Wassic and the Berkshires over the summer)i suggested it since NY trailways bus currently only stops at Catskill and Woodstock around 2-3 trips a day to/from NYC. With that said, maybe that connecting bus service should be at either the Hudson, NY or Kingston-Rhinecliff Amtrak station.

Kingston I can see but hudson well I was thinking of an intercity line funded by CtDOT &MNRR AND NYSDOT funny jow I was thinking up similar ideaa all along. But woodstock has trailways from new paltz AND there is a shuttle from poughkeepsie to new paltz rendering that idea redundant

Oh no. Not another QJ Einstein suggestions on bus service.:eek: 67th ruining a question on my idea/question of connecting shuttle buses to nearby towns and tourist locations.

Ladies and Gentlemen in many of those locations, there lack of demand for bus service.

On a route between Harriman-Monroe-Chester-Goshen-Middletown there already Coach USA/Shortline.

Ditto for Spring Valley-New City. While a Coach USA/Rockland Coaches serves West Havrestraw and Stony Point. While Coach USA/Shortline serves West Point area including Ft Montogmery.

And along the areas between New Windsor/Newburgh and Beacon there Stewart Airport link.

The point is 67th Ave if you say existing bus service should be increased that 1 thing. However there no need to connect all of the routes.

THAT is exactly why ppl DO NOT use the buses as much as they can and that is the reason why ridership growth is stunted LACK OF CONNECTIVITY DEters potential riders. ohh FYI I would never come up with anything even close to what 67 ave suggested. I would focus on existing services and consolidating em rather than new routes. First I would extend danbury shuttle to poughkeepsie via rte 376 rendering LOOP's proposed H line useless. Consolidate Loop E with new paltz poughkeepsie ELIminating E and poughkeepsie rail link in the process.

I don't know if stewart airport needs weekend or off peak service but restructuring A to use rte 52 killing the F in the process then going to SE station via IBM will link both metro-north lines. this allows stewart link to absorb F then rte 82 en rte to millbrook. This consolidates the routes allowing the region to do more with LESS ROUTES AND RESOURCES. plus timed links to mnrr alone would attract new riders making these routes more efficient merged than apart. LOOP can then simply focus on rte 9 while NYS

DOT AND MNRR worry about the rest of dutchess the CRUSHED MNRR trains are sn indicator that feeder service needs better marketing and coverage.

Some route ideas are:

Newburgh has the Newburgh-Beacon Ferry AND the Newburgh-Beacon Shuttle Bus going to Beacon station.

Fishkill and Wappingers Falls has Dutchess Bus service to Beacon and New Hamburg stations.

Pawling and Danbury already have stations and there is bus service from Danbury to Brewster station and New Fairfield to Southeast station.

Newburgh has the Newburgh-Beacon Ferry AND the Newburgh-Beacon Shuttle Bus going to Beacon station.

Fishkill and Wappingers Falls has Dutchess Bus service to Beacon and New Hamburg stations.

Pawling and Danbury already have stations and there is bus service from Danbury to Brewster station and New Fairfield to Southeast station.

Apparantly he doesn't know that.

Archived