5 Express Train to Crown Heights-Utica Ave.

East New York

Thanks a lot guys. Now it all makes sense.

One (5) train had Crown Heights-Utica on the train destination even though the countdown clocks said it was going to New Lots Avenue, this was the last (5) train to Brooklyn or second to last train.

onthego.mta.info (and other mta data) also has the last 4 trains to Brooklyn terminating at New Lots Avenue.

The night in question the countdown clock read New Lots Av also.

@SubwayGuy Actually the same amount of trains leave NLY in the morning and return there in the evening. Some are Flatbush putins, some enter service right there at New Lots station. At that time of the evening it's not really because Flatbush can't handle the trains, its more because Flatbush has sufficient service at that time of the evening, and it is a pain in the butt to layup trains that originated out of Flatbush in Livonia yard, hence they go to Utica instead. The service to Brooklyn is still needed, to Flatbush is optional (although helpful). If Flatbush obviously had tail tracks (like the (7) extension and the (Q) SAS extension, and the (E)(J)(F) at their terminals), two (5)'s would probably be stored there and (5) to Flatbush would actually end around 900 instead of about 830.

Before someone says it, yes I know the (E)(J)(F) those terminals were not the intended terminals for those lines.

As far as the (4) to New Lots, it would work if the whole Utica junction was reworked, a couple of switches would have to be put in by the portal s/b and n/b, and the (3) would have only one track to relay (which is generally sufficient anyway). That part of the system would then resemble the <6>(6) setup, where the express went to the end, and the part time local went to the last major gap station. Please, no (M) track and express service past Utica ideas...

Same thing everyone said;

I think that they needed to put a third track in the middle when they originally built the line, straight from Utica to New Lots. I know there is one already, but it only bypasses 1 stop, and it is not even electrified. <4> (No, not the express, but the Rush Hour Service). The trains would still be listed as (4)s. They could use the center track on the <4><5> when they would be extended, and the (2) would just run on the Local.

To be honest, I really think that the (4) and (5) should run Eastern Pkwy., (4) on the Express to Crown Hts., then Local to New Lots, <5> on the Local, straight to New Lots, if they had decided to construct that middle track, (4) express all the way.

That track is the LIRR ROW lead track to the IRT lines. It forms east of Junius St to make that "middle track" so work trains have a pocket track to sit in without disrupting the regular (3) traffic.

I will explain.

(5) is normal (5) service, to Bowling Green.

The <5> used to run to Flatbush Av back when they had R62s on the (5). The <5> is only found as the Bronx Express bullet now.

I was just playin, the <5> in Brooklyn is never gonna happen again. The MTA stopped doing rush hour diamonds <B><C><D> <M> <W> <4>, so I was just thought I might say it.

I already know about the <5> and the others ;)!

TBH I wish at LEAST the <5> were back to help ease confusion for 238th Street Bound (5)s. But now its all about the <6><7>

That track is the LIRR ROW lead track to the IRT lines. It forms east of Junius St to make that "middle track" so work trains have a pocket track to sit in without disrupting the regular (3) traffic.

Actually nothing can move on the Livonia branch while that circuit is occupied. Have to get all the way down the flyover pass the home signal guarding entry.

Archived