Apple's iPad launch will draw protesters as well as fans

Shortline Bus

"As with most Apple gadget launches, there are sure to be early morning crowds outside the company's big city stores Friday — but not everyone will be there to buy a new iPad.

At Apple stores in New York, San Francisco and Washington, dozens of protesters are expected to show up for the 8 a.m. launch of the company's third-generation tablet computer, stepping into the iPad's limelight to bring attention to concerns about the welfare of the Chinese factory workers who churn out the devices to satisfy a growing global demand.

The group, which has generated a digital petition on the website Change.org with 250,000 signatures, is asking Apple to improve conditions at its factories and said its protesters would crash Apple's party by parading critical messages in front of the TV crews bound to be camped out at the largest stores. Apple has said it is working to improve conditions in the factories that make its devices.

The protests will add a new dimension to the now-familiar phenomenon that major Apple launches have become. Apple stores across the nation regularly attract long lines, with the most eager buyers sometimes arriving the night before to grab a prime spot, along with bragging rights that come with being the first iPad or iPhone owner in the area.

The new device, which starts at $499 for a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi model, will have a high-definition screen and much more powerful computer graphics processor, allowing for sharp and detailed animation, gaming and movie playback.

For iPad buyers less interested in the pageantry at Apple stores, which includes high-fives and cheers from blue-shirted Apple employees, the company has expanded the number of retail chains where interested customers can look for the devices."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-fi-apple-ipad-20120316,0,5748642.story

Guest lance25

Practically every electronic device is made in some sort of sweat shop. I'm not condoning it, but rather simply stating the facts. Do you really think a few protesters at a couple of Apple stores are really going to make the head honchos change their business practices? The only thing that will do that is a complete boycott of their stuff and we all know that's not going to happen.

OT: I meant to ask this the other day, but with the forum hack, I forgot. So, how were the crowds at the Grand Central store? I mean, people were making such a fuss about the inevitable crowds at the Apple store when new devices were released, but I haven't heard anything about overcrowding. Then again, most of the news focused on the Fifth Avenue store, not the GCT one.

Practically every electronic device is made in some sort of sweat shop. I'm not condoning it, but rather simply stating the facts. Do you really think a few protesters at a couple of Apple stores are really going to make the head honchos change their business practices? The only thing that will do that is a complete boycott of their stuff and we all know that's not going to happen.

OT: I meant to ask this the other day, but with the forum hack, I forgot. So, how were the crowds at the Grand Central store? I mean, people were making such a fuss about the inevitable crowds at the Apple store when new devices were released, but I haven't heard anything about overcrowding. Then again, most of the news focused on the Fifth Avenue store, not the GCT one.

You have to start somewhere and quite frankly Apple needs to be called out their practices. They are charging top prices for their products and paying peanuts to the folks making their products in appalling conditions nevertheless. Aside from that millions of Americans are supposedly out of work, but yet everyone can afford Apple products everytime they launch a new product. The priorities in this country are terribly wrong and Apple is a perfect example of that. We need jobs here and folks are supporting an American company that is helping to keep Americans unemployed. That right there will keep me from supporting any of their products. :tdown::tdown:

The more people that stop buying their product the more they'll get the message. WE ARE THE CONSUMERS and we make that company run and when folks wake up and realize that, that's when changes can be made. For now folks are obsessed with the brand because they think they're special because they have a friggin' Apple product.

I had a tutoring session today for Italian and I had to tell the kid to shut his phone off during our session because he was constantly on that damn iPhone texting while I'm asking him questions. :mad:

Today's generation is obsessed with these iPhones and they don't realize what they're supporting is not helping them in any way shape or form. It's also funny how folks constantly complain about things being too expensive and wanting them cheaper yet they have no problem spending hundreds on iPhones and iPads made in sweatshops.

Guest lance25

That's what I just said. In order to change anything for Apple's (or any other corporation that uses sweatshop workers) business practices, people will have to stop buying their products. You and I both know that will never happen as people will continually buy (figuratively) into Apple's sales pitch that their stuff is the best out there, even if it's proven otherwise.

Then there is the question of why the hell should the consumer be vilified or blamed for buying (literally) their products. It's not as though we're personally forcing Apple to use sweatshop labor or are employing said sweatshop workers to make our devices. We just buy the (admittedly) overpriced products.

You wanna change the way they run their businesses? Just like with the Made in China problems: either have everyone stop buying their shit or lobby for changes in the laws on the Congressional level. The likelihood of the former happening any time soon is about the same as New York getting a full-fledged Second Avenue line by the end of the decade. The latter option isn't much better given Congress' lack of action regarding anything.

Like I said before, it is unfortunate that companies use this kind of cheap labor to make their products, but it's not entirely the consumer's fault things are that way.

That's what I just said. In order to change anything for Apple's (or any other corporation that uses sweatshop workers) business practices, people will have to stop buying their products. You and I both know that will never happen as people will continually buy (figuratively) into Apple's sales pitch that their stuff is the best out there, even if it's proven otherwise.

Then there is the question of why the hell should the consumer be vilified or blamed for buying (literally) their products. It's not as though we're personally forcing Apple to use sweatshop labor or are employing said sweatshop workers to make our devices. We just buy the (admittedly) overpriced products.

You wanna change the way they run their businesses? Just like with the Made in China problems: either have everyone stop buying their shit or lobby for changes in the laws on the Congressional level. The likelihood of the former happening any time soon is about the same as New York getting a full-fledged Second Avenue line by the end of the decade. The latter option isn't much better given Congress' lack of action regarding anything.

Like I said before, it is unfortunate that companies use this kind of cheap labor to make their products, but it's not entirely the consumer's fault things are that way.

I actually disagree with that last part. It is the consumer's fault because for years, the American consumer b*tched about how expensive products were and kept saying how they wanted it cheaper. Eventually they got what they wanted (not all of them but the ones complaining) and now if you want something of quality made here in the US, you've got to go on a manhunt for it because you usually won't find it in the regular boxstore, though I do find a decent percentage of Made in USA products when shopping only because I seek out those products in advance. The issue is two fold. The average American consumer wants their products cheap AND they're too lazy to seek out American made products, even if they are the same price or as cheap as the third world country imported crap. I personally hope gas prices continue to rise because that will force some of these thieves to move production back here to the US and then they're realize how stupid their outsourcing was. Some companies have already come back, citing poor quality, poor communications and just the logistical sense overall it made to produce here, especially seeing our dire economic conditions.

My last words about Apple is that they're a disgrace to this country and helping to destroy the American dream. :tdown:

As for Congress, they did have a bill going around which would've gotten tough on China, but nothing happened with that. However, that bill got started because of folks making a stink about more needing to be done with China and the uneven trade balance between the countries. If the economy continues to suffer and more consumers and American businesses make a stink, Congress will be forced to do something. The problem is China owns so much of our debt that we're practically their slaves. :P That's what you get when you want CHEAP. Now we got depressed wages, millions out of work and a dieing sector in manufacturing. :( I'm hopeful though that we can turn things around and start a new phase of Made in USA manufacturing here for more and more common items. :cool:

One of my co-workers bought the ipad 2 when that came out and this "new ipad" came out he bought it. I dont see how someone can spend $400 every time a new one comes out. Its too expensive, and idc how much money i make. I have the 2 which i just bought not too long ago and im happy with it.

IMHO I feel Apple comes out with these new gadgets too quick....

One of my co-workers bought the ipad 2 when that came out and this "new ipad" came out he bought it. I dont see how someone can spend $400 every time a new one comes out. Its too expensive, and idc how much money i make. I have the 2 which i just bought not too long ago and im happy with it.

Well yeah you would too, if you knew you had suckers that would buy them every time. They're sitting in their offices laughing at these folks waiting in line overnight for those overpriced gadgets.

Guest lance25

I don't think that's exclusive to Apple. A lot of these tech companies release a new phone, tablet, what-have-you every few months or so. You know why? People are suckers for the "latest and greatest". Tech companies are simply tapping into that market. Take for instance the iPad 3. What are the new features for it again? A slightly better camera and 4G support. And yet, people came out in droves once again to get it as if it was the game changer of tablets. Like VG8 said, why wouldn't you capitalize on these folks? It's a gold mine out there.

I don't think that's exclusive to Apple. A lot of these tech companies release a new phone, tablet, what-have-you every few months or so. You know why? People are suckers for the "latest and greatest". Tech companies are simply tapping into that market. Take for instance the iPad 3. What are the new features for it again? A slightly better camera and 4G support. And yet, people came out in droves once again to get it as if it was the game changer of tablets. Like VG8 said, why wouldn't you capitalize on these folks? It's a gold mine out there.

My thoughts exactly. What I don't get is why folks even bother. I mean you know most of the new stuff comes out with some sort of glitch or bug, so I always wait a while before I get a product if I'm interested in getting it. The only way I go out and get something new is if what I currently have no longer suits my needs. Otherwise, if the product is in like mint condition, works fine and does what I need, then I'm keeping it. I see a few HTC phones have come out and quite frankly I have no interest in them. I've had my Thunderbolt since September of last year and I've been very pleased with it overall.

Well it's about time. People are hooked on Apple, spend ridiculous amounts of money on their sweatshop made garbage. The quality is non-existent in their products and it's about time that folks bring their greed to the forefront. :mad:

Apple is great quality in my opinion. They have very-well designed products going as far as to buy out entire companies for their design teams for custom hardware—any no competitor can match that at the moment.

My gripe with Apple is how it abuses its dominant position (like fixing prices of e-books and how their app store to developers is like a checkpoint in Iraq). I have never bought an Apple product for my personal use, and I don't see myself buying one. My sister and relatives are all sold on Apple products though.

Apple is great quality in my opinion. They have very-well designed products going as far as to buy out entire companies for their design teams for custom hardware—any no competitor can match that at the moment.

My gripe with Apple is how it abuses its dominant position (like fixing prices of e-books and how their app store to developers is like a checkpoint in Iraq). I have never bought an Apple product for my personal use, and I don't see myself buying one. My sister and relatives are all sold on Apple products though.

I've used Apple products at an old part-time job I had when I was about 24 or so, teaching and doing office work for a few hours on weekends at a language school in Midtown in addition to my regular job, and the IT guy there was an Apple junky, so all of the desktops and laptops were of course Apple. ;)

It was interesting for me because during the week I was using Windows at my regular office and on the weekends I had to use Apple laptops at the other office and I just found the quality to not be that great. The plastic material that they used for example on the old white Apple laptops is easy to get scratched up and if you drop it, you can probably forget it. :eek:

So in sum, I don't see myself ever buying an Apple product. I hate following what everyone else has anyway. Better to be your own person and do your own thing and have your own style. :cool:

My Iphone is easily the most durable phone I've ever owned. So I don't mind that I shelled out 3-400 bucks for it. I got the first generation phone and I didn't need to replace it till well into last year. So I can't really agree with those who say that Apple releases crap quality products. Aside from that no matter what company you're buying from these high tech products have to be handled with care.

Instead I see people dropping their laptops, dropping their phones, dropping everything their hands get ahold of. Then they come crying about how it doesn't last. How the hell do you expect anything you buy to last when you're dropping and banging it all over the place?

I admit that I've been careless with my ipod (1st or 2nd gen) by dropping it on the floor a few times, but it still works very well. My main gripe is that I can't update it to anything newer than 3.0. so after all these years, I'm going to get either an iphone or ipad so I can use apps that need a newer os.

I admit that I've been careless with my ipod (1st or 2nd gen) by dropping it on the floor a few times, but it still works very well. My main gripe is that I can't update it to anything newer than 3.0. so after all these years, I'm going to get either an iphone or ipad so I can use apps that need a newer os.

Technology grows obsolete. That's the nature of it. So eventually you would have to replace that old gadget. But one shouldn't need to purchase a new version of the gadget every year. That just comes down to greed and over-obsession. Typically when you get a new computer or anything, one shouldn't need to replace it for at least 3-4 years. That's with proper care and the once in a while part upgrade for performance sake.

My Iphone is easily the most durable phone I've ever owned. So I don't mind that I shelled out 3-400 bucks for it. I got the first generation phone and I didn't need to replace it till well into last year. So I can't really agree with those who say that Apple releases crap quality products. Aside from that no matter what company you're buying from these high tech products have to be handled with care.

Instead I see people dropping their laptops, dropping their phones, dropping everything their hands get ahold of. Then they come crying about how it doesn't last. How the hell do you expect anything you buy to last when you're dropping and banging it all over the place?

lol... Let's be realistic... If you're handling a cell phone or laptop just about 365 days a year at some point you're probably going to drop it. I've dropped my Thunderbolt a few times here in my office and it still looks practically new. It's all about the build quality and materials used on the phone. I imagine I'll be using this phone at least until my update comes about in 2013 or I feel like I've outgrown the phone and see something I like.

lol... Let's be realistic... If you're handling a cell phone or laptop just about 365 days a year at some point you're probably going to drop it. I've dropped my Thunderbolt a few times here in my office and it still looks practically new. It's all about the build quality and materials used on the phone. I imagine I'll be using this phone at least until my update comes about in 2013 or I feel like I've outgrown the phone and see something I like.

I am being realistic. That's why I pointed out the people who drop their stuff like every 5 minutes. I've dropped my phone before. But it doesn't magically fall out of my hands daily like I've seen with a lot of people around me.

I am being realistic. That's why I pointed out the people who drop their stuff like every 5 minutes. I've dropped my phone before. But it doesn't magically fall out of my daily like I've seen with a lot of people around me.

lol... Well I know what you mean. You have a lot of clueless folks walking around. :)

Technology grows obsolete. That's the nature of it. So eventually you would have to replace that old gadget. But one shouldn't need to purchase a new version of the gadget every year. That just comes down to greed and over-obsession. Typically when you get a new computer or anything, one shouldn't need to replace it for at least 3-4 years. That's with proper care and the once in a while part upgrade for performance sake.

Oh I totally agree. I was perfectly content with the old stuff as it still works very well. I think mine is about 3-4 years. So I think it is time to retire the old soldier and pick up something new.

Guest lance25

The only reason I upgraded from my 1st gen iPod Touch to a new iPhone 4s was because most of the apps were either incompatible of not updated for iOS 3.whatever. That and I dropped it in a toilet once and it hasn't worked particularly right since. :o

My main question is that: do i need to sign up with verizon or at&t to use the ipad? I thought it was just like an ipod touch where you just need a wifi signal and that's it. If I need to sign up with either one, I'd save myself the bother and get the iphone where I know all the apps will be compatible.

The only reason I upgraded from my 1st gen iPod Touch to a new iPhone 4s was because most of the apps were either incompatible of not updated for iOS 3.whatever. That and I dropped it in a toilet once and it hasn't worked particularly right since. :o

[Nelson] *points* HAHA!

lol

My main question is that: do i need to sign up with verizon or at&t to use the ipad? I thought it was just like an ipod touch where you just need a wifi signal and that's it. If I need to sign up with either one, I'd save myself the bother and get the iphone where I know all the apps will be compatible.

I have no idea. I don't actually think you do. But then again if I get one I'm just gonna get a Wifi Ipad. I don't need the 3G to be on it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to use the 3G on the Ipad then yes, you need to sign up with Verizon/AT&T. If you do not want to sign up for any company, Just get the WI-FI only model. As long as you have a good WI-FI signal, you don't need 3G. I know because I got the original Ipad around the time it came out and never used 3G nor have I signed up with a company. So in a nutshell, it's like the Itouch

@Grand Concourse: (A diagnosis) / I'd recommend the Wi-Fi Only Models since you could easily pin-point locations on where you can get free Wi-Fi if you are on the go but want to save, say a McDonalds, Starbucks or Panera Bread. Wi-Fi Models for the new iPad [3rd Gen] costs 16GB $499, 32GB $599, 64GB $699. Add $130 for the 4G LTE models, plus whopping sky-high costs for limited capacity of 4G LTE Data Usage, despite being 4G and LTE. I'd rather be saving money and get unlimited internet usage for a low cost from my internet provider and the locations I "pin-pointed" while I travel. This might not be the case for some places, like a vacation home out in the woods or a remote beach, if that's the case and you visit less and want to be connected, then I think a 4G LTE plan might work, however it all depends on your daily patterns. And this might not be the case for some people, like if you're a serious on the go person and want Internet anywhere anytime and not concerned about costs, then the 4G LTE Models is for you. The AT&T and Verizon Plan is not required, it's just an a-la-carte (or optional) add on.

Archived