Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's causing the n15 to arrive a few minutes apart from each other? I notice the first n15 tend to have a lot of people while the one that comes a few minutes later has one person.

I have no idea, and the n15 is one of those routes that I take very frequently. Some days it's pretty good, other days, not so much (I've had instances where three n15 buses in the same direction showed up in ten minutes). One possibility, in my view, is perhaps X bus gets stuck at a lot of the lights in Rockville Centre while Y bus just cruises on through.

I found this article on the web. I personally don't see how adjusting the bus schedule to meet with the trains at the LIRR station can work given the extensive delays during the rush currently plaguing the railroad. 
http://nyc.streetsblog.org/2017/05/25/on-long-island-transit-operates-as-two-separate-and-unequal-systems/

Is that sign for the n6 Articulated Saturday Schedule correct? The 6:08 am trip is labeled as an express and I don't recall the n6x running on a Saturday. It looks like someone just copy and pasted the Monday-Friday schedule, but just cut off at 5:10pm.

Edited by NY1635

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently from a former member on here who I'll just call whinepowerli had said that rvc depot is in the hands of mta can anyone clarify that claim.

Doubt it that this has happened unless a source says otherwise.

On a somewhat related note, a comment in one of his recent NICE Bus rant videos claims that the MTA can repossess the Orion VII NG/EPA10 CNGs (and maybe what's left of the ex-LIB Orion Vs) although not the New Flyers or the Arbocs. Is this possible?

NICE has released the new bus schedules for the Summer, which will go into effect on June 25th. Looking at the schedule, I feel that the n20 would work better as a Flushing-Roslyn/C.W.Post route. There's just too much negative space on the current n20H/G schedule and a few morning runs on the n20H starting at the Clock Tower.

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Customer-Advisory-Committee.aspx

Edited by NY1635

Apparently from a former member on here who I'll just call whinepowerli had said that rvc depot is in the hands of mta can anyone clarify that claim.

According to Hound on BusChat (I don't remember if he is a member here) the MTA is planning on using the RVC Depot for the 200 buses as part of their plan to limit the impact on the LIRR ridership because of Amtraks work at Penn Station.

Not sure if its the truth or if that is what Powerli was talking about. 

Edited by mac5689

On a somewhat related note, a comment in one of his recent NICE Bus rant videos claims that the MTA can repossess the Orion VII NG/EPA10 CNGs (and maybe what's left of the ex-LIB Orion Vs) although not the New Flyers or the Arbocs. Is this possible?

I remember back when NICE was formed people said the MTA had the power to take back the Orion V's, and Orion VII's because they had brought them and therefore owned them. (Ownership of those buses was a big debate if I recall) 

It was said, either at that time or the last time the topic was brought up, that the MTA DID NOT have the power to take back the buses because they were brought with some type of funding that said they had to be used in Nassau County.  (I mean one would think if the MTA had the power to reposes the Orion V's and Orion VII's they would have taken them with them when they left)

Summer 2017 interlining grid:

Weekday
Saturday
Sunday

Blue = ARBOC, yellow = articulated.

Looks like the articulated runs will be running later on Saturdays

On weekdays, they have four artics out at a given time under the new schedule, and they're only operating rush hour express service. No weekday midday or evening artic operations.
On Saturdays there are two out all day. Presumably the others will work the n88 as needed.

The n19, n78/n79, and n80 remain their own blocks, not interlined with anything else.

Route by route, from looking at the timetables (all are weekday, no weekend changes on these routes):

• n22: No changes, timetable removes all mention of the n22A.
  • n24: 5:47p from Hicksville eliminated, 10:15p from Jamaica will terminate at RFM. Minor time changes.
  • n19: 2min added to AM running time and 2min removed from PM running time. Turn changes.
  • n23: 10:30a trip from Mineola eliminated.
  • n27: Added 7:36a trip from Hempstead, 10:45p trip from Hempstead eliminated (9:45p trip will run Willis Ave)
  • n33: 3min added running time eastbound.
  • n40/41: No changes.
  • n48/49: Added 7:10a n49 trip from Hempstead; PM eastbound minor time changes.
  • n54/55: Time changes all day. The westbound schedule contains typos in the PM (route numbers), early AM westbound short turns extended to originate from Unqua Rd and Sunrise Mall respectively
  • n58: Added 9:25p southbound trip from USMMA.
  • n72: 6:15a from Hempstead and 1:02p from Rt 110 eliminated. Time changes.
  • n70: 4:24p and 6:15p from SUNY Farmingdale converted to n72 trips. Time changes.
  • n80: Minor time changes.

The trip removals from the n24, n23, and n27 timetables don't appear to be new service cuts, rather, they look like trips that never run under the April schedule but were included by accident. They were not in the April not in the GTFS.

Edited by Amtrak7

WeekdaySaturdaySunday

On weekdays, they have four artics out at a given time under the new schedule, and they're only operating rush hour express service. No weekday midday or evening artic operations.

On Saturdays there are two out all day. Presumably the others will work the n88 as needed.

The n19, n78/n79, and n80 remain their own blocks, not interlined with anything else.

Route by route, from looking at the timetables (all are weekday, no weekend changes on these routes):

• n24: 5:47p from Hicksville eliminated, 10:15p from Jamaica will terminate at RFM. Minor time changes.
  • n19: 2min added to AM running time and 2min removed from PM running time. Turn changes.
  • n27: Added 7:36a trip from Hempstead, 10:45p trip from Hempstead eliminated (9:45p trip will run Willis Ave)
  • n54/55: Time changes all day. The westbound schedule contains typos in the PM (route numbers), early AM westbound short turns extended to originate from Unqua Rd and Sunrise Mall respectively
  • n70: 4:24p and 6:15p from SUNY Farmingdale converted to n72 trips. Time changes.
The trip removals from the n24, n23, and n27 timetables don't appear to be new service cuts, rather, they look like trips that never run under the April schedule but were included by accident. They were not in the April not in the GTFS.
How do people read the interlining chart? What is a block? Does a driver work a single block or multiple blocks?

How do people read the interlining chart? What is a block? Does a driver work a single block or multiple blocks?

Each block represents a set of trips that turn for each other. Because some of these are way more than a 12 hour day, I'm assuming that these represent vehicle cycles, not driver cycles. One vehicle or driver can work multiple blocks over the course of a day (as evidenced by the one-run pieces near the bottom of the list).

Weekday

Saturday

Sunday

Thanks for posting. I have to say I am still really sour about the lack of warning NICE provided about the n22A cut. The only indication was the tiny black line on the pdf schedule, which is not looked at by many people.

Thanks for posting. I have to say I am still really sour about the lack of warning NICE provided about the n22A cut. The only indication was the tiny black line on the pdf schedule, which is not looked at by many people.

It's best to expect nothing good from NICE at this point.