Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

XN40 #1955 was on the side of Merrick with a head-sized white scuff on the driver's side of the rear bumper and a same-color Accord was parked further up.   I saw two NICE personnel, not including the driver, hand a piece of paper to who I assumed were the passengers and driver in the Accord and he walked back to where the bus was.  I thought it was a breakdown but then I noticed the engine cover was closed and the Accord with its emergency signals on.  I didn't see NCPD at any point so I assume it had just happened.  It seems like the Accord tried to pass the bus on the left but then scraped the bumper at speed.  This is also why I stay far away from any Florida or PA plate cars.  They're just New Yorkers trying to pay out-of-state insurance prices.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

92 min gap on southbound N1 from Elmont Rd and Hempstead tpke. between PM 7:31 PM and 9:03PM (It looks like it might be the same run). I didn't know they already went to 90 min headway on weekends.

The 90 minute headway on the weekend n1 has been a thing since last April. Instead of eliminating it outright, NICE choose to reduce service from 45 minutes to 90 because of low ridership. The Elmont-Green Acres portion of the route gets the most customers while Green Acres-Hewlett doesn't get anyone. The n1 terminates too far north of Lawrence or Far Rockaway for it to be of any use.

56 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

The 90 minute headway on the weekend n1 has been a thing since last April. Instead of eliminating it outright, NICE choose to reduce service from 45 minutes to 90 because of low ridership. The Elmont-Green Acres portion of the route gets the most customers while Green Acres-Hewlett doesn't get anyone. The n1 terminates too far north of Lawrence or Far Rockaway for it to be of any use.

Yeah I think if it went to Far Rockaway/Lawrence that would be a helpful North South Route, but it connects to the N31/32. I think if it went by 5 towns Shopping centers, via Brookville Blvd/Rockaway Turnpike it would get more ridership.

Yeah I think if it went to Far Rockaway/Lawrence that would be a helpful North South Route, but it connects to the N31/32. I think if it went by 5 towns Shopping centers, via Brookville Blvd/Rockaway Turnpike it would get more ridership.

I rarely see people in the n31/32 connect to the n1 at Hewlett. I'm pretty sure that the n1 serving Jamica full time is the only thing that can get them and the shoppers at Green Acres to use the route.

But don't those riders use the Q5/Q85?

They do use the Q5/Q85, but they don't like waiting an out of service NYCT bus at Macys to go into service while the n1 zooms right past them on it's way to Jamaica/Elmont or Hewlett.

50 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

They do use the Q5/Q85, but they don't like waiting an out of service NYCT bus at Macys to go into service while the n1 zooms right past them on it's way to Jamaica/Elmont or Hewlett.

True also, The N1 would provide Access from Hillside Ave, Jamaica Ave, Hempstead Ave and Francis Lewis Blvd

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

On Sunday, Jan 21st at Roosevelt Av/Main St Flushing around 9:30pm, one chinese lady told me all 11 peoples were waiting for n20G Great Neck bus for hour. 8:45pm n20G bus never show up. I stay until 9:50pm n20G, last bus show up and it did.

I've heard similar complaints from passengers about the n6 not showing up on Sundays during the morning and midday. I always see two of them just a few minutes apart along Hempstead Turnpike, one fully seated and one empty, even though the n6 isn't THAT busy on Sundays.

15 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I've heard similar complaints from passengers about the n6 not showing up on Sundays during the morning and midday. I always see two of them just a few minutes apart along Hempstead Turnpike, one fully seated and one empty, even though the n6 isn't THAT busy on Sundays.

When I told the female driver on 2:09 pm n16 Roosevelt Field Mall at Rockville Centre, which I got on, female driver told me "There's driver shortage."

My observation at 165th St Bus Terminal.

7/28

165th St Bus Terminal

19:19 n24 Hicksville came 31 minutes at 19:50.

19:25 n22 Hicksville never came.

19:55 n22 Roosevelt Field came 20:10.

20:19 n24 Hicksville never came. 

20:25 n22 Hicksville show up on time. I guess New Castle, Westbury passengers properly waited 1-hour n22 bus. 

While waiting to make sure n22 bus comes until 8:25pm, one of lady was trying to contact transit app by phone to see if they can track down the n22 bus. All 10 passengers were frustrated. I think transit app center didn't believe n22 bus never show up.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Aren't the n22 and n24 meant to be run like the n40/41, or n31/32? I always see the n24 leave 165th Street Terminal first and then the n22 come right after it on Hillside. The same goes for whenever they appear in Roosevelt Field, or Mineola.

Edited by NY1635

• 2 months later...

Out of all places and out of all things, I found a sizable amount of n35 and n70/71/72 timetables in a secondary hall of the M Building at Nassau Community College. The catch is that these were from the LIB days, with the n35 (or, as it was back then, N35) timetables dated from 2009 and the N70/71/72 timetables dated from 2011. They were in mint shape too, and there's still some left there.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Long Beach on Mother's day to see if anyone was waiting for bus and it's hurting the Long Beach peninsula because Sunday there's no bus service for Long Beach peninsula of Atlantic Beach, Long Beach, Point Lookout. They could have cut only one weekend loop and have one loop go to Point Lookout. There were two people. One man was not aware n33 bus doesn't run on Sundays and after dairy free yogurt option nearby, one woman was waiting for loop bus and they were upset.

Edited by FamousNYLover

• 2 weeks later...

The stop at Greenwich and Totten Streets in Hempstead is getting more usage ever since the Mineola bound stop got eliminated in April. It's definitely faster and frequent, but I wish NICE would have the n40/41 end service at 1 am as there are still people bound for Roosevelt and Uniondale coming off the n6 from Jamaica at that time.