Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

@Brett: Yep, knew it unless if something major happened on Northern Blvd. hehe!

As for Walt Whitman, it's because of a major mall expansion, not traffic reasons that forced the bus stop to move to the South Side of the Mall by Legal Seafood, the view of the mall from Route 110 will change and make it more attractive towards the eye according to renderings.

Edited by KeystoneRegional

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE operators might get the bus moving more quickly, but the N4 is still derptastic. I tried going to a sports equipment store for something which they didn't have. On the way into the store, five N4s Queens-bound came like clockwork, and only two the other way even showed up. I also saw one of the N4 short turns... guess those didn't work out too well with passengers considering people ARE trying to get to Freeport for the N43 to the mall or 40/41 to Hempstead.

NICE has started putting up what looks to be some type of sticker on bus stops around the Roosevelt Field area (ex: on Stewart Ave) for the new N23 and N27 routes that will be entering the area!

Interesting, does it say "N27 Peak/N23 All other times" or "N23/N27 Manorhaven/Glen Cove Consult timetable for trips" something like that?

I found something else that's interesting:

Inter-Departmental Memo Regarding the contract with Veolia from the Office of Legislative Budget Review : http://www.nassaucou...ontractMemo.pdf

Contains some info like:

-Veolia has to run with a lower budget because it cannot receive the MTA Subsidy that LIB received.

-LIB ran a deficit for the past 3 years or so

-Other Municipalities critique/opinion of Veolia's service.

I know these signs have stickers on them:

West Road (NICE/LIB thinks it's "West Drive" but it's Road) by the LICM (N16 sticker only)

Bradley Hall at NCC (N51 sticker only, says "Weekdays only" under the number)

I wonder why they wouldn't have stickers for each route. They're basically the same as the LIB signs but they're rendered in the new font and the destination is directly under the route number.

I found something else that's interesting:

Inter-Departmental Memo Regarding the contract with Veolia from the Office of Legislative Budget Review : http://www.nassaucou...ontractMemo.pdf

Contains some info like:

-Veolia has to run with a lower budget because it cannot receive the MTA Subsidy that LIB received.

-LIB ran a deficit for the past 3 years or so

-Other Municipalities critique/opinion of Veolia's service.

Never found this in my extensive monitoring of LIB news when it happened...looks interesting.

I guess someone should have started this thread, so I did. Sticky it?

Random Thought:

Just passed by it, 1747 had a breakdown at Douglaston Pkwy and Northern Blvd, heading towards Flushing. It was pulled over at the bus stop.

And 1631 looks like it had it's destination sign changed. The font looks bolder.

i noticed the luminators they are somewhat like before bolder.

Yep, the signs are being reflashed across all the buses. You'll notice a new font and bolder readings.

Probably because they're adding the new codes for the new destination signs for April 8th.

you know this isn't a thought but like a week or 2 ago i saw a Not in service NICE bus signed up as the n87

it said N87 JONES BEACH

That would have been a REALLY GOOD photo opportunity. Edited by Brett

West Road (NICE/LIB thinks it's "West Drive" but it's Road) by the LICM (N16 sticker only)

Bradley Hall at NCC (N51 sticker only, says "Weekdays only" under the number)

the whole n51 has re-stickered signs.

Yeah I saw a N16 today with the new bolder readings, looks nice.

I saw 3 re-flashed buses on the N6's also (Bunched of course). 3 buses to Hempstead within 5 mins, on 10 min Headways. <_<

Anyway, someone mentioned this before, they're removing the street suffixes. On the Side Destination sign it alternated between "screens"

1- N6 HEMPSTEAD

2- HEMPSTEAD TRANSIT

3- CENTER

4-VIA HEMPSTEAD

(something like that)

Just took a walk to Hempstead Turnpike, guess what? BUS BUNCHING!

Two Hempstead Bound N6's 1 min apart on 10 min headways. The first one was packed, Standees from front to Back. O5, with people standing behind the "rear doorwell". The next one was the NG i believe, I didn't even think to look at the bus numbers.

Starting next Saturday the N6 is going to be on 12 min headways, they better get the bunching under control.

Here you can sign up for and login to your myNICE account! This means that if you tell us your preferred route or routes, we will text you or email you when there is a service issues or disruption on your route! You can also set up the Interactive System Map to automatically show your favorite bus routes. Registering is very quick and easy! Just fill in the information requested below.

Very cool! To be able to get a text or email you "when there is a service issues or disruption on your route!" This will be be great if NICE is great and serious about it. For instance will NICE recognize problems and alert problems. Also, how big of a problem will count as an "issue."

Will NICE notify customers if there is an accident on the road and buses are rerouted, delayed? Even if it only effects one or two buses? What if a a bus breaks down? Will that be considered an issue? I remember waiting for buses for 30, 40, 60 minutes and never have them show up. This may not register as a issue for NICE but to the rider that is an eternity in the cold!

NICE now has the power to notify customers that the bus they were planning on taking is not coming, lets see if they use it!