Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the new routes came a new pick... almost every bus I saw showed up late. Things seemed better on Monday. They only managed to wrap the N6, 16/17, 35, and they were wrapping the 40 banners today; the lift was blocking the N40 bay and that pissed a few people off for some reason.

Google Maps will take a few weeks. NICE really needs to make their GTFS public.

myNICE is still dead...

EDIT: Apparently they put in the GTFS before 4/8, as its updated on Google Maps. Note that new stops (like Mercy Medical Center) will take a few months to be rendered, but you should be able to plan a trip to/from one now. Also notice that NICE has consolidated stops so that what used to be two or four stops at the same intersection now show up as one. Bad move, as it doesn't take into account where the stops are (what side of the road, etc)

Edited by Amtrak7

Google Maps will take a few weeks. NICE really needs to make their GTFS public.

myNICE is still dead...

EDIT: Apparently they put in the GTFS before 4/8, as its updated on Google Maps. Note that new stops (like Mercy Medical Center) will take a few months to be rendered, but you should be able to plan a trip to/from one now. Also notice that NICE has consolidated stops so that what used to be two or four stops at the same intersection now show up as one. Bad move, as it doesn't take into account where the stops are (what side of the road, etc)

Well, if you look at Hempstead Transit Center, it does say the N23 goes there and the N24 at Hicksville LIRR Station and the N17 at Rockville Centre LIRR Station.

They must have updated it today.

Wow, and I just went to Maps randomly today. lol

Also, has anyone figured out what the mobile site address of NICE bus is? It's advertised on the new schedules, but its still the full site.

Edited by Brett

What's the point of the extra eastbound short turns on the N71 Saturday mornings? They're not new to NICE, and I don't think that 6AM-9AM is the peak point on a Saturday.

They turn back at Stewart Ave, so maybe deadheads converted to revenue service? But to where? Most Hicksville routes have already begun operations by 9, and if they were deadheading to Sunrise Mall they wouldn't make them short turns.

Wow, and I just went to Maps randomly today. lol

Also, has anyone figured out what the mobile site address of NICE bus is? It's advertised on the new schedules, but its still the full site.

http://nicebus.com/_mobile/index.html on the main site, look at the lower right corner and you will see a link that says "Mobile Version"

What's the point of the extra eastbound short turns on the N71 Saturday mornings? They're not new to NICE, and I don't think that 6AM-9AM is the peak point on a Saturday.

They turn back at Stewart Ave, so maybe deadheads converted to revenue service? But to where? Most Hicksville routes have already begun operations by 9, and if they were deadheading to Sunrise Mall they wouldn't make them short turns.

They turn back using the NY-135 Ramps. People have to get to work along Hempstead Turnpike, the Hospital(s), as well as get to Hempstead to transfer to other buses, etc and they need somewhere to turn the buses around, but not as far east as NY-110 or Sunrise Mall. So they end at Stewart Ave, and Loop around back to Hempstead. Edited by N6 Limited

They turn back using the NY-135 Ramps. People have to get to work along Hempstead Turnpike, the Hospital(s), as well as get to Hempstead to transfer to other buses, etc and they need somewhere to turn the buses around, but not as far east as NY-110 or Sunrise Mall. So they end at Stewart Ave, and Loop around back to Hempstead.

I know, but why aren't they in service going west if they're going to be running via Hempstead Tpk anyway?

It just seems like the wrong time of day on a Saturday to be providing extra service.

Just saw a N2 on Dutch Broadway, empty.

I know, but why aren't they in service going west if they're going to be running via Hempstead Tpk anyway?

It just seems like the wrong time of day on a Saturday to be providing extra service.

Ah I See what you're saying, perhaps they are deadheading from Stewart Ave like you said. Edited by N6 Limited

I went on the N19 for the first time today and I asked where I can transfer to the 73 he looked at me like what was I talking about? So I said wantagh ave. He goes yes ok I know where that is. Is the N73 a hidden route to some drivers? Its strange that most drivers would know where all the routes go. It was a late 50s year old white guy that drove the 10 30 am N19 from Freeport. BTW the N73 had 4 passengers including me.

UPDATE: The mobile version is OK. The schedules part isn't as good as I think it could be. For example, if I want to go to Hicksville via the N20, I fill in the information and it shows buses that end at Roslyn. They should split the schedules between the different destinations because not all buses on a route terminate at the same point. Also, why are the times in half-hour increments? And you can't pick the current time either. Also, the service alerts page isn't updated because it doesnt say anything about the n6x stop change. And myNICE won't let me sign up, It never confirms my sign-up.

I got on rear car of Mets-Willets Point-bound (7) #2073 departed Junction Blvd @ 7:40, arrived Mets-Willets Point @ 7:44.

Total time: 4 minutes.

I got on rear car of Flushing-bound (7) #1781 departed 7:47, arrived Flushing-Main St @ 7:50.

Total time: 3 minutes.

I missed 7:45 N20L Hicksville, even I tried to chase through busy Main St, but I gave up.

While I was helping to make sure no one was waiting for N21, I miss two Q17 LTD which departed 1 minute early.

So, when I saw Q44 LTD Jamaica #4209, I got on at Main St/39th Av and departed 8:15, arrived Merrick Blvd/Jamaica-Archer Avs @ 8:58.

Total time: 43 minutes.

Next, I ran to Jamaica Bus Terminal, so my NICE Dispatcher friend.

I got on 9:10 N6 Hempstead #1547 departed 165th St Bus Terminal ontime @ 9:10 and arrived Hempstead Turnpike/Franklin Av @ 9:42, 1 minute early at 9:43.

Total time: 32 minutes.

When I told passenger "No N8", there was one lady waiting for N8 and I told her to go to Meecham Av and she was not happy and she was thankful I told her.

I went to Hempstead Turnpike/New Hyde Park Rd and boarded 9:36 N6 Jamaica #1542 departed 9:52, 1 minute early than 9:53, , arrived Hempstead Turnpike/Meecham Av @ 9:56, 3 minutes late at 9:53.

Next, I got on 10:15 N8 Green Acres Loop #1832 Counterclowksie departed ontime at 10:18, arrived Green Acres Mall/Marcy's @ 10:42, 2 minutes early from 10:44.

Total time: 27 minutes.

Since next N2 was 11:39, so I checked out Green Acres Mall to see what kind stores and foods they have.

You guys were right. These mall was so small, even I took pic of interesting food name at Food Court, so I took pictures.

Next, I went back and lost my NYPD Jail Card because wind was WAY TOO STRONG.

Nex

I came back to bus stop.

I got on 11:15 N2 Green Acres Loop #1832 clockwise departed 11:34, five minutes early, and mistaken I got off at Hook Creek Blvd/Sunrise Highway, arrived 11:47, 5 minutes late at 11:42.

Total time: 13 minutes.

Next, I ask walking direction to passenger waiting for Q5 and she told me way to Merrick Rd.

Due to my mistake, I enjoy great walk along Hook Creek Blvd.

I ask neighbor just in case if I was going right way.

When I got to Merrick Rd/Hook Creek Blvd, I waited for N4 Freeport b/c I missed one when I was few minutes away.

Next, I got on 12:10 N4 F1 eeport #1721 departed ontime at 12:31, arrived Merrick Rd/S. Park Av @ 12:53, 15 minutes late from 12:38.

Total time: 22 minutes.

Next, I ran to Rockville Cetre Station to get on N17 Hempstead.

This Asian like B/O was nice when I was waiting for sign, he put on sign for me.

I got on 13:00 N17 Hempstead #1763 departed ontime at 13:00. It was only 2 people (me included)

Along Non-Stop Portion on Graham Av, one lady with headphone got on and B/O open door for her.

B/O told her it's not a stop.

Maybe that lady thought service to Mercy Hospital means N17 restores and all N17 bus stops came back?

N17 was mad fast, and felt like super express!!

That lady boarded at mistaken stop got off along Fulton St I think and B/O told her that's not stop.

Arrived Hempstead Transit Center at 13:21, 3 minutes early from 13:24.

Total time: 21 minutes.

Next, I got on 13:10 N40 Mineola #1585 departed ontime at 13:33, arrived Mineola Intermodal Transit Center @ 13:47, 2 minutes late at 13:45.

Total time: 14 minutes.

Next while I waited for N22/N24 Hicksville, I made announcement no N23/N78/N79 and there were lots of people waiting for them, so I help them out.

I got on 13:15 N24 Hicksville #1754 departed ontime at 14:02.

All seats were taken until Roosevelt Field Mall.

When bus was entering Roosevelt Field Mall, I think student or busbuff was making announcement

"Ladies & Gentlemen! After hanging or shopping at mall, there will be non-stop express on N22X leaving Roosevelt Field Mall @ ______.

Arrived Hicksville Station @ 14:34, on time.

Total time: 32 minutes.

I got on 14:57 N20 Flushing #1739 departed ontime, arrived Jericho Fire Department @ 15:00.

Total time: 3 minutes.

After I bought 4 packs of Olivia Organic salad at Jericho Whole Foods, headed for bus stop.

Since I didn't want to step on beautiful flowers that was growing right next to PUSH WALK TO BUTTON, so I walk along side cars, and careful not to step on flowers as I pressed WALK Button to cross busy North Broadway.

One passenger waiting for 14:54 was missing, so 15:19 N48 #1590 that suppose to leave Jericho Quad was very late, and we boarded at 15:47, arrived Hicksville Station @ 15:53, 23 minutes late from 15:31.

Total time: 6 minutes.

I waited for 16:18 N22X Jamaica. While I was waiting,

I got on 16:18 N22X #1604 departed Hicksville ,Station @ 16:28, which this male B/O was not fan of camera.

After Westbury Av-Cherry Lane, B/O pull out microphone, "Attention! Ladies & Gentlemen! May I have your attention, please. After Roosevelt Field Mall, this bus will not be any making stops at Mineola or local stops. After Roosevelt Field Mall, next stop will be Jamaica-179th St Subway. For local stops, please transfer to N22 Local."

When bus got to Old Country Rd, I saw Verizon Van driver texting, so I took his picture quick.

After Roosevelt Field Mall, most of passengers going to Jamaica got on.

After he closed door, announcement said, "Next major stop is Jamaica-179th St Subway."

Along Hillside Av, passengers waiting for N22/N22A/N22L were flagging him to stop and confuse why this driver didn't stop. I think NICE riders are not used to N22X.

and properly Spanish pressed STOP REQUEST.

When he realize this bus didn't stop, he approach bus driver, and B/O/me told him this is express. Next stop is 179th St Subway Station and bus driver told him, he has to get off at 179th St and take N22 back. One passenger was timing how long this N22X takes.

He made announcement, this time he added "I made announcement so many times. No expection (correct me)"

Near the City Line bus stop, N22X got stuck at red light and there was furious N22 passenger using F-word and asked "Are you serious?" B/O said "I'm dead serious."

Arrived 165th St Bus Terminal @ 17:32, one minute late at 17:31.

Total time: 63 minutes.

Next, I got on Q36 LTD Floral Park #9532 departed 17:40, arrived 179th St Subway @ 17:48.

Total time: 8 minutes.

Next, I got on front car of Coney Island-bound (F) #9338 departed Jamaica-179th St @ 18:15, arrived Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av @ 18:32.

Total time: 17 minutes.

Next, I got on front car of Flushing-bound (7) #1984 departed 18:54, arrived Junction Blvd @ 18:58.

ENJOY IT!!