Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can sort of understand the rear door rule. A bus turning into the bay next to the one you're in might whack you in the face and Lord knows that isn't pleasant. Otherwise, why can't they? I was at Hempstead in October and a man asked a dispatcher why bus operators couldn't do so. I can't remember what he said...

Edited by Joel Up Front

Anyone have any status updates? Hows the N24 Extension to Hicksville coming along? As well as the N43 Extension? Hows the N23/N27 combination? Etc.

I couldn't be quiet anymore about just how bad things are, especially on the north shore. The n23/n27 is a disaster. I noticed crush loaded buses heading south this afternoon (Saturday), just as I predicted, standees from front to rear, couldn't pick up everybody by RF. And this was on a V! What's even worse though is that the connections at Roslyn are not waiting. Was stranded in Roslyn as the 6:30pm n27 pulled out just prior to the n23 arrival, a man waiting for the other bus told me. Another guy who was on the n23 and equally as furious told me it happened to him last Saturday as well and he had to wait another hour for the next one. Since I was going to Greenvale I decided to walk the 30 or so minutes which would be quicker, the guy said he'd be taking the LIRR from now on, he'd had enough.

Also the n27 is not waiting for the passengers coming off the n20 in Greenvale either, and today I saw 20+ passengers waiting by the former gas station (NE corner of 25A+Glen Cove Rd) who had missed their n27 connection.

I've already been in contact with both NICE customer service and Michael Setzer via email, who told me the connections were supposed to wait. Well they still aren't waiting. Changing the n21,n23,and n27 was a BAD IDEA plain and simple and it needs to be restored, and it can be paid for by trimming back service on the n80,n81 and some other south shore routes that carry air, but Mr.Setzer he ran into "Problems" reducing service anymore on those routes, of course the reason does start with a big fat P... :angry:

Anyone have any status updates? Hows the N24 Extension to Hicksville coming along? As well as the N43 Extension? Hows the N23/N27 combination? Etc.

N24 always comes late to roosevelt field then speeds down Old Country to hicksville. A lot of the Drivers on the 24 aren't new kids on the block so they know what they are doing. Also another problem i see is, new drivers are only learning one route mostly from their first pick. how are they supposed to do other routes if they go in ice cold!

I couldn't be quiet anymore about just how bad things are, especially on the north shore. The n23/n27 is a disaster. I noticed crush loaded buses heading south this afternoon (Saturday), just as I predicted, standees from front to rear, couldn't pick up everybody by RF. And this was on a V! What's even worse though is that the connections at Roslyn are not waiting. Was stranded in Roslyn as the 6:30pm n27 pulled out just prior to the n23 arrival, a man waiting for the other bus told me. Another guy who was on the n23 and equally as furious told me it happened to him last Saturday as well and he had to wait another hour for the next one. Since I was going to Greenvale I decided to walk the 30 or so minutes which would be quicker, the guy said he'd be taking the LIRR from now on, he'd had enough.

Also the n27 is not waiting for the passengers coming off the n20 in Greenvale either, and today I saw 20+ passengers waiting by the former gas station (NE corner of 25A+Glen Cove Rd) who had missed their n27 connection.

I've already been in contact with both NICE customer service and Michael Setzer via email, who told me the connections were supposed to wait. Well they still aren't waiting. Changing the n21,n23,and n27 was a BAD IDEA plain and simple and it needs to be restored, and it can be paid for by trimming back service on the n80,n81 and some other south shore routes that carry air, but Mr.Setzer he ran into "Problems" reducing service anymore on those routes, of course the reason does start with a big fat P... :angry:

I took the n23/n27 yesterday. I'm not making any excuses, but from my observations the N27 goes in a constant loop and there really isn't a way for the driver to know if the N20 came or not, as of yet. I suppose if there are people waiting at the stop, as there was on my trip, he can assume the N20 came by. Since there is one bus doing the 27 if it waits too long then it causes a chain reaction.

I was on one of those Southbound SRO trips ,17:31 from Roslyn. I decribed what happened in this post: http://nyctransitfor...32-n23n27-ride/ . We picked up everyone waiting except for one guy because he ran out from a side street at the last moment , don't believe it was a corner stop either. SRO from front to back is typical for the n6 so It was the usual for me. The bus was "relieved" at Hillside Ave a good amount of passengers transfered to the N22. It's really not that bad if it gets like that for a few stops. They have to find a way to get the 23/27/20 b/o's communicating before the end of the year when GPS is supposed to start getting installed on the buses.

It took NCC students and other riders a few days to catch onto the N43 extension, but every N43 to Hempstead I've seen is SRO.

I think it was a good Idea, extending the 43 to Hempstead serves the same purpose as the N16 short turns and other riders get to use it as well, it uses existing capacity on the n43. Edited by N6 Limited

What really upset me most was the missed connection in Roslyn. There was simply no excuse for that. I can understand the difficulty with the n20-n27 Greenvale connection more, which is why I think they should bring back some n21 trips, or figure out a way to merge n20 Roslyn trips into n27s.

What really upset me most was the missed connection in Roslyn. There was simply no excuse for that. I can understand the difficulty with the n20-n27 Greenvale connection more, which is why I think they should bring back some n21 trips, or figure out a way to merge n20 Roslyn trips into n27s.

There goes RantPower... -_-

That shouldn't be too hard. You just go down Main Street/Rosyln Road, loop around the train station, and then take the N27 route. I'm surprised they didn't do that (or did they cut the runs back to Great Neck? In either case, I think it's a good idea). The only problem might be confusion between the regular N21 pattern and this one.

That shouldn't be too hard. You just go down Main Street/Rosyln Road, loop around the train station, and then take the N27 route. I'm surprised they didn't do that (or did they cut the runs back to Great Neck? In either case, I think it's a good idea). The only problem might be confusion between the regular N21 pattern and this one.

Well its less confusing than the current setup!

I'm so glad I don't have to take the n27 anymore, given this BS. I really think those two routes should never have been touched. I honestly have to agree (kinda) with PinePower that the 23 and 27 shouldn't have been changed. I mean, for god sakes, before these changes, I took a 6:45 pm bus on a SATURDAY out of Roosevelt Field to Glen Cove to get the N20 and it was full out of Roosevelt Field. That's insane. I've taken the N23 during the day now after the changes and they're empty. People are even asking to go to Mineola. I'm still confused at who the heck thought of this setup and then who agreed that it would work. I could see so many more people taking the LIRR now.

I'm so glad I don't have to take the n27 anymore, given this BS. I really think those two routes should never have been touched. I honestly have to agree (kinda) with PinePower that the 23 and 27 shouldn't have been changed. I mean, for god sakes, before these changes, I took a 6:45 pm bus on a SATURDAY out of Roosevelt Field to Glen Cove to get the N20 and it was full out of Roosevelt Field. That's insane. I've taken the N23 during the day now after the changes and they're empty. People are even asking to go to Mineola. I'm still confused at who the heck thought of this setup and then who agreed that it would work. I could see so many more people taking the LIRR now.

Wouldn't it be better for you now? You could take the N23 from the mall straight to the N20 at a point further west.

If the N23's are empty during the day, then merging the routes provides enough service, no?

The N23 to Hempstead extension works... but it seems that the rest of it doesn't work at all.

Does it work because it connects Willis Ave to Roosevelt FIeld and Hempstead, or are those just N27 riders?

Edit: The NICE site now redirects cellphones to the mobile site.

Edited by N6 Limited

I have to say the same, the n23 empties out at Roosevelt Field Mall basically and I've literally seen people talk on the phone complaining about the n21/n23/n27 changes, and quite few of them, and some of them go on cabs and some are also going on other cars. It is nuts what NICE did to these three routes. It doesn't necessarily inconveniences me, but I'm basically forced to skip Flushing because I cannot do the n27/20 and n27/21 connections now. And heck I don't want to take the n23.

Wouldn't it be better for you now? You could take the N23 from the mall straight to the N20 at a point further west.

If the N23's are empty during the day, then merging the routes provides enough service, no?

Does it work because it connects Willis Ave to Roosevelt FIeld and Hempstead, or are those just N27 riders?

Edit: The NICE site now redirects cellphones to the mobile site.

Yea, its better for me, but I could see it doesnt work for mostly everyone else. And to get to the mall now, i don't have to wait for the n20 hicksville. I can take the roslyn n20 and then get the n23. But most people from the north shore arent going to RF like me.

I have to say the same, the n23 empties out at Roosevelt Field Mall basically and I've literally seen people talk on the phone complaining about the n21/n23/n27 changes, and quite few of them, and some of them go on cabs and some are also going on other cars. It is nuts what NICE did to these three routes. It doesn't necessarily inconveniences me, but I'm basically forced to skip Flushing because I cannot do the n27/20 and n27/21 connections now. And heck I don't want to take the n23.

No matter how much the buses ever screw me over, I will NEVER take a cab. I'd rather walk.

Same here!

Same here as well. Taking a cab is like asking to be robbed, because that's what cab companies do to people. $20 just to go 5 miles and I'm not kidding! A long time ago, when the 10c screwed me at East Hampton and I needed to get to Amagansett (and there were no e/b trains for 3 hours) I walked the whole way!

They're moving an N1 Stop (Service Alerts Page)

n1 -- Hempstead Turnpike/Elmont Road stop moving for Jamaica-bound passengers starting Tuesday, April 24th.

Starting Tuesday, April 24th, the n1 stop for Jamaica-bound trips at Hempstead Turnpike/Elmont Road will move to the n6 stop across the street on Hempstead Turnpike during peak hours. Jamaica bound n1 buses will pick up and drop off at the n6 stop from 6:03 a.m. to 9:54 a.m. and from 4:54 p.m. to 6:24 p.m.

We are moving the bus stop to allow for safer and easier transfers to the n6 buses during peak hours. Our number one goal is the safety of our passengers!