Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Same here as well. Taking a cab is like asking to be robbed, because that's what cab companies do to people. $20 just to go 5 miles and I'm not kidding! A long time ago, when the 10c screwed me at East Hampton and I needed to get to Amagansett (and there were no e/b trains for 3 hours) I walked the whole way!

Yes Long Island Cab companies are crazy with their prices. I avoid dabs, unless I'm going to be dropped off at the airport or something.

They're moving an N1 Stop (Service Alerts Page)

[/size]

Seems like they took my advice ;) (And perhaps others also suggested it). Now Riders waiting to go to Jamaica can go to the N6 stop and take either bus. Sometimes there would be a group waiting for the N6 while a N1 with capacity makes a left on to Hempstead Turnpike. The only thing is that, it somewhat sucks for riders connecting to an Eastbound N6. They're really doing it to help relieve the N6 Local. They should have the N1 focus on pickups along Hempstead Turnpike. The need to communicate strategies with B/O's.

It's like "look, the N6 Local is packed, by the time westbound buses get to Elmont Road it's at flagging capacity. If you're driving an N1 focus on pick-ups. If you're driving a n6 and a n1 is in front or behind you, then only do drop-offs. N1's are on 15-20min headways, so of course you would only want to do that if you've seen an N1 in front or behind you."

At 169th and 179th they should have a "platform b/o" or someone, suggesting to riders that are getting off at, or before Elmont Road to use the N1.

Edited by N6 Limited

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only time you should be using "dabs" is if you somehow stained a shirt and need to clean it up with a napkin. trolol

The NGs have all been broken in very well. A pity there are only 38 of the 2011 NGs, those are what we should have gotten in 2009.

Edited by Joel Up Front

According to the Nassau Legislature memo, Veolia is relieving drivers in the field instead of the depot whenever possible. Anybody notice this lately? How are the drivers getting to the relief points? By taking an in-service bus? That will only make delays worse.

The N6 Local is only struggling during rush hour because of the butchering of the route with the N6x.

exactly, since the n6x does a crappy job of evening out the loads, the n6 local will most likely need the n1 to help with that.

Why did NICE turn the N2 and N8 into Floral Park/Green Acres Loop?

Oh, read the question wrong. Yeah, it was save money like N6 Limited said, and also because they're not very long routes and run pretty much parallel to eachother, so it made sense.

Finally got an NG with an engine problem. 1716 was newly wrapped but it sounded like a pulley or belt in the engine was loose or worn because there was this screeching noise every time the B/O accelerated. He was a kindly guy, but we got stuck in Malverne near Ocean Avenue because some woman in a Nissan Altima thought it would be a good idea to crash right at a major intersection and cause major bottlenecking delays, on top of people getting off of the Southern State en masse.

Finally got an NG with an engine problem. 1716 was newly wrapped but it sounded like a pulley or belt in the engine was loose or worn because there was this screeching noise every time the B/O accelerated. He was a kindly guy, but we got stuck in Malverne near Ocean Avenue because some woman in a Nissan Altima thought it would be a good idea to crash right at a major intersection and cause major bottlenecking delays, on top of people getting off of the Southern State en masse.

The wraps are like lipstick on a pig. Veolia has no maintanance whatsoever. Thats how they are "able" to run a bus system for much less than the MTA, because they dont maintain the buses! Fortunately they'll be easy enough to remove IF the (MTA) comes back.

The wraps are like lipstick on a pig. Veolia has no maintanance whatsoever. Thats how they are "able" to run a bus system for much less than the MTA, because they dont maintain the buses! Fortunately they'll be easy enough to remove IF the (MTA) comes back.

Veolia is a MULTI-NATIONAL corporation. The (MTA) is a government agency who has a MONOPOLY on public buses in NYC. Who's gonna have the better maintenance? Veolia will provide good maintenance if Nassau County told them to start maintaining the buses better, since it's all about the money. They will do whatever they can to satisfy the County and convince them to continue using their services because they make MONEY operating NICE, but it's the County's job to COMPLAIN to Veolia when necessary so they will provide better service. They probably know Mangano will not threaten to cut them off no matter what they do, so they couldn't care less here about providing this kind of maintenance as it saves them money. This is the same with NJT buses in Monmouth County that they operate. They definitely aren't the nicest buses in the NJT system (though they weren't that bad last time I rode one), but NJT isn't complaining about it so they will continue to provide the same levels of maintenance they currently do because they know NJT will keep writing them checks.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

The newer NGs all came with plastic seats. If you've ever ridden the BTE buses, the '11 NGs came with the same (or similar) seats. That was probably from a retired NYCT Orion V.

I think the 1800s have soft seats.

No the only ones that have cloth is everything but Nassau. Nassau has never had cloth except last year when we had the loaners.

Ok, ok, I see. I got confused :huh: The 1800s have that nice plastic type of seat.

And the seats in the former are god-awful. Even those faux-cloth seats from the NYC Orion Vs were better.

The highlight of the meltdown in October for me was riding 728 from Spring Creek on the N16. That was a comfortable ride on top of the bus accelerating more quickly than the LIB Orion Vs... kinda ruined by me being sick that week, but still.

I missed out on the loaners I wasn't in town for a while so when I got home on December 1st I had no reason to ride the bus daily which limited my chances. What I thought was cool though was a city bus in Suffolk county which I saw a few times on the 79.