Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10154924_754249284606776_794372434716260

WE ARE LOOKING FOR NICE TEAM MEMBERS!

NICE is holding an Open House for new operators Saturday, April 12th from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at our Mitchel Field Depot. If you think you have what it takes, then come and find out all of the details about joining the NICE team. For more information, you can contact us at 516-296-4261

NICE OPERATOR OPEN HOUSE

Saturday, April 12th

10:00 am-2:00 pm

700 Commercial Avenue

Garden City, NY

516-296-4261

Don't waste your time. You're better off driving a school bus.

That is only speculation. The order has not been placed yet to the best of my knowledge. Please don't go spreading rumors.

He acted like the order was already made or was told from mgmt. But I think (and hope) it will be New Flyers. I sure hope its not crappy Gilligs...

And (MTA) Long Island Bus tested buses like they did in the city?  When was the last test fleet or test bus in the LIB system?  Give me a break.  How do you know Veolia can't analyze data from fleets of different manufacturers in service around the country?  Are we going back to to the Veolia can't do like the (MTA) assumptions again?

That is only speculation. The order has not been placed yet to the best of my knowledge. Please don't go spreading rumors.

He acted like the order was already made or was told from mgmt. But I think (and hope) it will be New Flyers. I sure hope its not crappy Gilligs...

I assume it will be New flyer BUT we haven't even seen a RFP put out for this order have we?

I don't have a CDL but maybe I'll check it out

Unless things have changed you need a CDL B with Passenger endorsement to be hired...

Don't waste your time. You're better off driving a school bus.

(MTA) Long Island bus offered me part time (labo) for less money an hour than I was making driving a school bus, it wasn't worth it.  They had a pension if you were in it for the long run (how'd that work out lol) but I wasn't trying to make a career out of driving a bus (no offense to those who have or want to).  

Most were always better off driving off a school bus.  Even driving the able ride buses for Suffolk County starts off around $18-$20 an hour...

You'll make a hell of lot more money delivering school & transit buses than driving any school or transit bus locally.

I'd rather drive an Orion than a school bus any day, even if the Orion is likely to breakdown.

I'd rather drive a New Flyer C40LF but that doesn't mean I'm willing to go work for the (MTA) in the city. 

What was the purpose of combining the N2 and the N8 into a loop? I just don't see reason to have two routes serve the exact same route to Each terminal. The N2 was more useful back when it went to Jamaica.

They allegedly had low ridership individually...

I got to put this rant out there. The fareboxes are still messed up. My NEW Easypay card that I got just last weekend wouldn't work on 2 buses today, along with one on Saturday. I almost thought that NICE damaged my card again, but then it started working on the 2 buses I took home. Also saw what appeared to be a 1700 or 1800 NG broke down on Old Country in front of the Source Mall. And what makes it worse are the jerk drivers who act like I need to pay when it says READ ERROR. It's not like I'm putting a card in that has no money on it, it gets deducted from my bank account once a month, and surely don't have any extra $$ to put into the farebox. From now on I'm standing my ground, let him throw me off the bus. No wonder drivers are getting beat up, and it's a shame too because it's the good ones that are getting beat up because of these jerk drivers. But I aint takin' no crap over the Read Errors anymore. I dont even want to give this operation my money, esp a cash fare which all goes to NICE. It's a freakin' joke. NICE sucks. I honestly don't feel like setting foot on these shitboxes on wheels ever again!  :angry:

Yeah when I had that issue If I didn't have a transit chek card the driver probably would have kicked me off. Is there a way we can obtain card farebox cleaners  just in case? lol

Yeah when I had that issue If I didn't have a transitchek card the driver probably would have kicked me off. Is there a way we can obtain card farebox cleaners  just in case? lol

Hmm NICE makes me wonder how things would of went if the MTA never took over the 7 private bus operators in the city. Who knows those 1993 RTS's and a lot of the Orion V CNG's might have still been in service. I wonder how many Nassau County riders want the MTA to take things over again. I know I do because I feel sorry for those people who have to wait 30 minutes to an hour especially in the Queens portion for a bus to show up. They either don't show up or they break down which those new 1800's bus are starting to fit in with the other buses.

Yeah when I had that issue If I didn't have a transit chek card the driver probably would have kicked me off. Is there a way we can obtain card farebox cleaners just in case? lol

Yeah when I had that issue If I didn't have a transitchek card the driver probably would have kicked me off. Is there a way we can obtain card farebox cleaners just in case? lol

I dip many times and don't get read errors often. Like once in a while it happens with all transit systems even the MTA and Westchester bee-line it isn't limited to just NICE systems with card swipers have similar problems. I remember accidentally losing a weekly on a SEPTA bus I did get a free replacement.

I got to put this rant out there. The fareboxes are still messed up. My NEW Easypay card that I got just last weekend wouldn't work on 2 buses today, along with one on Saturday. I almost thought that NICE damaged my card again, but then it started working on the 2 buses I took home. Also saw what appeared to be a 1700 or 1800 NG broke down on Old Country in front of the Source Mall. And what makes it worse are the jerk drivers who act like I need to pay when it says READ ERROR. It's not like I'm putting a card in that has no money on it, it gets deducted from my bank account once a month, and surely don't have any extra $$ to put into the farebox. From now on I'm standing my ground, let him throw me off the bus. No wonder drivers are getting beat up, and it's a shame too because it's the good ones that are getting beat up because of these jerk drivers. But I aint takin' no crap over the Read Errors anymore. I dont even want to give this operation my money, esp a cash fare which all goes to N ICE. It's a freakin' joke. NICE sucks. I honestly don't feel like setting foot on these shitboxes on wheels ever again! :angry:

Like once in a while it happens with all transit systems even the MTA and Westchester bee-line it isn't limited to just NICE systems with card swipers have similar problems. I remember accidentally losing a weekly on a SEPTA bus I did get a free replacement. However where there are swips you will have issues. Cash and POP systems like NJT & SCT do not have these issues but suffer from high dwell times due to pax with crumpled up bills pick your poison with transit. Try PPR systems that rape frequent riders like SCT & Rockland county then come back to me.

Edited by Brett

The funny thing is many of the V's run better than the NG's. Lately every 17 I've been on felt like it was gonna stall out, and it's no surprise they're making up the majority of the breakdowns. Some of the drivers rev 'em at stoplights to keep them from stalling. Just wait till summer!  :(

Edited by PinePower

I got to put this rant out there. The fareboxes are still messed up. My NEW Easypay card that I got just last weekend wouldn't work on 2 buses today, along with one on Saturday. I almost thought that NICE damaged my card again, but then it started working on the 2 buses I took home. Also saw what appeared to be a 1700 or 1800 NG broke down on Old Country in front of the Source Mall. And what makes it worse are the jerk drivers who act like I need to pay when it says READ ERROR. It's not like I'm putting a card in that has no money on it, it gets deducted from my bank account once a month, and surely don't have any extra $$ to put into the farebox. From now on I'm standing my ground, let him throw me off the bus. No wonder drivers are getting beat up, and it's a shame too because it's the good ones that are getting beat up because of these jerk drivers. But I aint takin' no crap over the Read Errors anymore. I dont even want to give this operation my money, esp a cash fare which all goes to NICE. It's a freakin' joke. NICE sucks. I honestly don't feel like setting foot on these shitboxes on wheels ever again!  :angry:

You have to understand that every driver doesn't know you, & whether it's the farebox or your card that's faulty. You'd be surprised how many people deliberately scratch up their card or pickup used ones they find laying around that have no value, & then try to bullshit you into  believing the card is good.

You have to understand that every driver doesn't know you, & whether it's the farebox or your card that's faulty. You'd be surprised how many people deliberately scratch up their card or pickup used ones they find laying around that have no value, & then try to bullshit you into  believing the card is good.

I know, but its not like I'm using a regular Metrocard, it's an EasyPay with my name & photo ID. 

Hmm NICE makes me wonder how things would of went if the MTA never took over the 7 private bus operators in the city. Who knows those 1993 RTS's and a lot of the Orion V CNG's might have still been in service. I wonder how many Nassau County riders want the MTA to take things over again. I know I do because I feel sorry for those people who have to wait 30 minutes to an hour especially in the Queens portion for a bus to show up. They either don't show up or they break down which those new 1800's bus are starting to fit in with the other buses.

I mean, they were bought partially because of all the complaints about old buses; DOT believed that the MTA would be better at that from a customer standpoint.

I know, but its not like I'm using a regular Metrocard, it's an EasyPay with my name & photo ID. 

What is this EasyPay?  

I'm sure even easy pay can go empty, so what if your pictures on it? How's the driver supposed to know your card with your picture on it has money on it as opposed to Joe Blow who's picture is also on the card with no money trying to scam a free ride? 

...and while we're on the topic people need to start getting quarters before they get on the bus, walking up the down the bus with 2 dollar bills in your hand looking like an idiot.  Everybody knows you're lazy or trying to get a free ride hoping no one will have quarters (or will want to part with their quarters) so you get a free ride. If you don't have coins you should get kicked off immediately,sure I've seen  some people who are unfamiliar with the system, honestly forgot their change, or didn't have time to get change, but others are ridiculous with this  (you can tell the difference).

Search this section for MTA and skeleton system and tell me how much better you think things would be if (MTA) was still around.

As Brett explained (and I have painstakingly explained over the years) is that given proper funding Veolia is a better bet to run the system over the MTA because Veolia runs the system for a less when broken down per hour, so whatever funding goes into the system Veolia does more per dollar, so the rider gets more per dollar from Veolia.  Pretty sad IMO considering this is true and Veolia is making a profit and still does more per dollar than the MTA did.  I thought this would have set alarms, having people in the city demanding an audit, but people still blindly think the MTA is best to run (whatever system).

What is this EasyPay?  

I'm sure even easy pay can go empty, so what if your pictures on it? How's the driver supposed to know your card with your picture on it has money on it as opposed to Joe Blow who's picture is also on the card with no money trying to scam a free ride? 

...and while we're on the topic people need to start getting quarters before they get on the bus, walking up the down the bus with 2 dollar bills in your hand looking like an idiot.  Everybody knows you're lazy or trying to get a free ride hoping no one will have quarters (or will want to part with their quarters) so you get a free ride. If you don't have coins you should get kicked off immediately,sure I've seen  some people who are unfamiliar with the system, honestly forgot their change, or didn't have time to get change, but others are ridiculous with this  (you can tell the difference).

The way EasyPay works is that when the amount of money on the card drops below a certain amount (usually $10) it is replenished by funds from the bank account of the user. 

https://www.easypaymetrocard.com/vector/static/faq/ReducedFaq.shtml

Search this section for MTA and skeleton system and tell me how much better you think things would be if (MTA) was still around.

As Brett explained (and I have painstakingly explained over the years) is that given proper funding Veolia is a better bet to run the system over the MTA because Veolia runs the system for a less when broken down per hour, so whatever funding goes into the system Veolia does more per dollar, so the rider gets more per dollar from Veolia.  Pretty sad IMO considering this is true and Veolia is making a profit and still does more per dollar than the MTA did.  I thought this would have set alarms, having people in the city demanding an audit, but people still blindly think the MTA is best to run (whatever system).

The city did have private transit operators, but they weren't exactly run well, so the notion of privatization is tainted here. At this point, it's basically a "devil you know" sort of problem.

The other issue is that the subway effectively cross-subsidizes the bus, so any private operator receiving just bus fares would only be getting half the revenue they're entitled to (since most commute trips involving bus are bus + subway, the subway would end up getting that fare in at least one direction.) It's also not as big of an issue since the City doesn't really subsidize the MTA in the same manner that Nassau County pays for NICE, unless we're talking about express routes.