Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

On Friday, April 11th, Nassau County Legislators Siera Bynoe (LD2) and Laura Curran (LD5) rode the bus.

Legislator Bynoe took entire trip on Hicksville Station to Jamaica, then return to Hicksville via n24.

Legislator Curan took ride on n35 bus from her home to Roosevelt Field Mall.

1901944_627313430677799_4751517724697958

10257149_627313447344464_162497699920642

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

Please note if anyone who rides n40 bus between Freeport and Mineola, Legislators Curran and Dave Deneberg will be riding bus today, starting from Freeport Station around 10:25.

So I guess NICE did not mind to change the LI Bus signs.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE did change some of the LI Bus signs. I noticed that some of the routes got new signs, like the n16, 27, 35, 43, 45, and 51 along Stewart Avenue in Garden City.

NICE did change some of the LI Bus signs. I noticed that some of the routes got new signs, like the n16, 27, 35, 43, 45, and 51 along Stewart Avenue in Garden City.

n79 bus stop signs changed also.

The signs are also changed on the entire route of the n19...

If the strobe light on the top of the bus is going off it means there's a CNG leak right? Saw a 1700 doing it earlier on the N4 and it did stay in service.

I thought it was to improve the visibility of the bus (so other motorists can see it can see it from further away) in inclement weather such as fog, similar to the strobes on top of school buses...

I thought it was to improve the visibility of the bus (so other motorists can see it can see it from further away) in inclement weather such as fog, similar to the strobes on top of school buses...

You're joking-right?

When I got off n20 Hicksville at Hicksville Station at 13:00, there was beach goers waiting for n87 Jones Beach. I figured out by their sexy beach clothes.

I told them n87 doesn't begin until June 23rd. After that, they just properly went home.

on 13:27 n20 Flushing #1803, male B/O wasn't inform about Little Neck-Douglaston Parade. After Great Neck Station, he called in dispatcher after picking up last n20 passenger at Buttonwood Rd and he had to make illegal U-turn on Northern Blvd, then detour westbound was via Lakeville Rd, LIE Service Rd, Springfield Blvd.

On same bus, 14:55 n20 CW Post late at 15:25, eastbound detour was via Douglaston Parkway, LIE Service Rd to Lakeville Rd. But when he got near Little Neck Parkway, detour shorten, and he was able to serve all regular n20 stop from City Line.

Edited by FamousNYLover

NICE really needs to get its act together with its infrequent service on very busy lines and with its severe bus bunching problems.

Have you ridden the N4 line on weekends?  Saturdays you wait up to 30 minutes at Jamaica and/or Freeport, then 2 buses leave within a minute of each other.  On Sundays you get the joy of waiting up to 40 minutes for 2 buses that leave back-to-back.  Happens just about every weekend.  It doesn't appear that NICE is taking the severe bus-bunching issue seriously.

Weekdays, the N22/N24 are chronically late.  It makes sense they're late when you have an extremely long route - from Jamaica all the way to Hicksville.  They should run N24's from Jamaica to Roosevelt Field only, and perhaps the N22's from Jamaica to Hicksville.  And increase the service on both the N22 and N24 since those are both very busy lines and you need reliable increased service everywhere along the route (Jamaica to Hicksville).  People wait 30+ minutes for *any bus at all* from Roosevelt Field to Hicksville, then see both the N22 and N24 show up at the exact same time.  Major bus bunching again.

Edited by RtrainBlues

NICE really needs to get its act together with its infrequent service on very busy lines and with its severe bus bunching problems.

Have you ridden the N4 line on weekends?  Saturdays you wait up to 30 minutes at Jamaica and/or Freeport, then 2 buses leave within a minute of each other.  On Sundays you get the joy of waiting up to 40 minutes for 2 buses that leave back-to-back.  Happens just about every weekend.  It doesn't appear that NICE is taking the severe bus-bunching issue seriously.

Weekdays, the N22/N24 are chronically late.  It makes sense they're late when you have an extremely long route - from Jamaica all the way to Hicksville.  They should run N24's from Jamaica to Roosevelt Field only, and perhaps the N22's from Jamaica to Hicksville.  And increase the service on both the N22 and N24 since those are both very busy lines and you need reliable increased service everywhere along the route (Jamaica to Hicksville).  People wait 30+ minutes for *any bus at all* from Roosevelt Field to Hicksville, then see both the N22 and N24 show up at the exact same time.  Major bus bunching again.

On Sundays, n20 needs more service to/from Hicksville in evening hours until 9pm issue.

n27 and n23 needs to be restored half-hour service on weekends because their busy in summer.

Anytime, n4, n6, n40/41 buses are always late.

Not enough running time,insufficient recovery time,lots of new inexperienced drivers=NICE sucks.

I keep calling and calling and calling in the complaints with severe bus bunching, but it's as if you're talking to the wall.  Nothing is being done, so they continue to lose ridership of discretionary trips and only get the people who absolutely need the transportation.  You'd think they'd want to be sure their busiest routes (N4, N22/N24, N40/N41 among others) have frequent reliable service since those are their real moneymakers, but alas that's not happening.  They're more concerned with a new smartphone payment app and yet won't do anything to stop the VERY VERY long waits on its busiest routes.  It's simply not acceptable to wait 40 minutes every Sunday afternoon at Jamaica for an N4 bus, then have 2 buses take off one right behind the other.  It's like they're more concerned with what color to paint the walls when the whole house is burning down.

Edited by RtrainBlues

I keep calling and calling and calling in the complaints with severe bus bunching, but it's as if you're talking to the wall.  Nothing is being done, so they continue to lose ridership of discretionary trips and only get the people who absolutely need the transportation.  You'd think they'd want to be sure their busiest routes (N4, N22/N24, N40/N41 among others) have frequent reliable service since those are their real moneymakers, but alas that's not happening.  They're more concerned with a new smartphone payment app and yet won't do anything to stop the VERY VERY long waits on its busiest routes.  It's simply not acceptable to wait 40 minutes every Sunday afternoon at Jamaica for an N4 bus, then have 2 buses take off one right behind the other.  It's like they're more concerned with what color to paint the walls when the whole house is burning down.

dude discretionary riders do not have time for slow ass routes like N22&n24 when the LIRR is much faster same with N4 not so wilth n6.

Not enough running time,insufficient recovery time,lots of new inexperienced drivers=NICE sucks.

What are you a broken record?

I know how you feel.

On Monday, May 26th, when I was on 13:27 n20 Flushing from Hicksville with male B/O friend on #1803, he didn't know there was detour on Northern Blvd while I heard a detour for n20 because it mention Lakeville Rd, LIE service rd.

After Great Neck Station, he made right turn and at Westminister Rd, one passenger was happy enough he made mistake. After picking up her, B/O had to make ILLEGAL U-TURN because police were blocking entire Northern Blvd while motorists were kind enough to let the bus U-turn and he went on his correct detour route.

I don't take the bus schedule seriously. I've ridden the n4, and n6 long enough to notice that it comes a few minutes after I exit the train in Jamaica. In the n6's case, I can tell if a Jamaica Bound bus if coming whenever I see the n15, or n31/32 turn on Franklin and Fulton.