Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

In the perspective of a rider, has bus service in Nassau county improved or got worse since the Veolia takeover?

Without question, it's objectively worse. Many of the buses (newer and older) don't get maintained that well — terrible engine performance/sound, poor heating/air-conditioning, and really dirty interiors. Sometimes, when it gets really hot, you'll see a bus or two with its "trunk" open "to keep the bus cool." Occasionally, you'll see buses arrive quite late or not come at all.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without question, it's objectively worse. Many of the buses (newer and older) don't get maintained that well — terrible engine performance/sound, poor heating/air-conditioning, and really dirty interiors. Sometimes, when it gets really hot, you'll see a bus or two with its "trunk" open "to keep the bus cool." Occasionally, you'll see buses arrive quite late or not come at all.

Sometimes, those buses with the rear panels open are open because of them not being shut properly. The cooling fans in the 1700s and 1800s do the job well enough.

I don't know about you, but they've been slacking on the Vs and been doing pretty well with the VIIs. I've had to commute to and from Long Island from work, and those VIIs seem to get more TLC than the Vs. Same goes for the AC units. I was on 1860 on the n25 not too long ago and it was BRICK in there!

Dirty interiors are a given, you can't really blame NICE for that. Passengers are animals and they are 99.9% of the cause. And before anyone says "oh they should clean them better or they don't clean them at all ect ect", buses are usually cleaned before getting into service. Cleanliness is more to blame on the passengers side for f**king them up in the first place.

Edited by Cait Sith

Sometimes, those buses with the rear panels open are open because of them not being shut properly. The cooling fans in the 1700s and 1800s do the job well enough.

I don't know about you, but they've been slacking on the Vs and been doing pretty well with the VIIs. I've had to commute to and from Long Island from work, and those VIIs seem to get more TLC than the Vs. Same goes for the AC units. I was on 1860 on the n25 not too long ago and it was BRICK in there!

Dirty interiors are a given, you can't really blame NICE for that. Passengers are animals and they are 99.9% of the cause. And before anyone says "oh they should clean them better or they don't clean them at all ect ect", buses are usually cleaned before getting into service. Cleanliness is more to blame on the passengers side for f**king them up in the first place.

I also remember one time when I was on n6 Hempstead on my way to Coles Brother Circus, bus engine cover was keeping opening, and it was strange because LI motorists doesn't seem to care and almost every LI motorists near bus who saw the bus engine cover open in back, they told B/O "Your engine is open." Including NYC Bus drivers told NICE B/O that engine was open, and female driver said, "I know. It keeps opening."

In the perspective of a rider, has bus service in Nassau county improved or got worse since the Veolia takeover?

I feel as if very little has changed since Veolia took over the buses in Nassau. I liked that they gave the n16 express service to reduce the crowding on the route between the Terminal and the Student Union Building at NCC. I still have mixed feelings combining the n2 and n8 into one big loop route because I don't see the folks at Hook Creek or Fletcher Avenue taking the route. I kind of hate how NICE extended the n6express to NCC since it runs the risk of overserving the area and causing delays on express service.

I feel as if very little has changed since Veolia took over the buses in Nassau. I liked that they gave the n16 express service to reduce the crowding on the route between the Terminal and the Student Union Building at NCC. I still have mixed feelings combining the n2 and n8 into one big loop route because I don't see the folks at Hook Creek or Fletcher Avenue taking the route. I kind of hate how NICE extended the n6express to NCC since it runs the risk of overserving the area and causing delays on express service.

The n6X was extended to compensate the loss of n16x service.

I actually agree, aside from Queens/Nassau Express service, there really hasn't been much changes as to how things are operated between MTA and NICE. Service has always been abysmal between the two, maintenance has always been shotty(but it shows a little more on the NICE end of things), and missing buses is still a big problem.

As for the n6x to NCC, I found that to be a rather pointless investment.

Right now, my pipe dreams are for better n22 and n24 service and at least 2 more n4x trips. I got to ride the n4x for the first time and despite the periods of traffic along Merrick Blvd, it's actually pretty damn good.

I actually agree, aside from Queens/Nassau Express service, there really hasn't been much changes as to how things are operated between MTA and NICE. Service has always been abysmal between the two, maintenance has always been shotty(but it shows a little more on the NICE end of things), and missing buses is still a big problem.

As for the n6x to NCC, I found that to be a rather pointless investment.

Right now, my pipe dreams are for better n22 and n24 service and at least 2 more n4x trips. I got to ride the n4x for the first time and despite the periods of traffic along Merrick Blvd, it's actually pretty damn good.

On car free day Long Island 2014, when I took challenge, late 9:20 n6X NCC, female driver refused to go to her schedule timespoint, and she made her own LAST STOP at Student Union. I told her that is not her she was suppose to go to her schedule timespoint. I was forced to wait at non-schedule timespoint for any buses to RFM.

Since NICE didn't made printed PDF schedule for Jones Beach Bus, I created organized Jones Beach bus schedule.

NCC has NICE Ambassadors and NCC BRU Club. I'm going to spent time near Jones Beach-Freeport-Hicksville-Wantagh-Bellmore-Roosevelt Field-Hempstead area today give copy of creative bus schedules. Lots of NICE Bus dispatcher were happy I made organized detail schedule through computer.

After Jones Beach, I might head to LGA airport to help on M60.

Edited by FamousNYLover

They still have to coordinate the connections better. One day I transfer from the n15 to the n4 at Park Avenue. I waited at least 20 minutes for the n4 and that too it was like at 4 or 5 in the afternoon so buses are supposed to pass very frequently.

Words cannot explain how tight I was to miss the last n25 from my n4 last week. I hated having to go back to Jamaica to the point where I'd actually bear taking the n25 to the Q46 just for the hell of it.

These problems exist even when the MTA ran the show. Veolia's gotta fix this. I remember getting off the n4 to take the (E) so the minute I get to the platform the train leaves. Really frustrating..... As for the fare hike what's the difference??

The n4 isn't terribly late like other routes. In fact I think that the n4 is the most reliable route in the system.

Words cannot explain how tight I was to miss the last n25 from my n4 last week. I hated having to go back to Jamaica to the point where I'd actually bear taking the n25 to the Q46 just for the hell of it.

Eeesh. Assuming you xfered at Lynbrook. You're lucky they moved stop on the same corner of the Bank or America.

Eeesh. Assuming you xfered at Lynbrook. You're lucky they moved stop on the same corner of the Bank or America.

Yup, xfer'd at Lynbrook JUST to see it leave the first stop. The next n4 was packed. I would've LIRR'd it, but I didn't feel like paying that much to get to Jamaica.

The N4 local is quite unreliable, especially on weekends.  Stand at Jamaica/Archer Ave, Lynbrook/5 Corners, and Freeport, and write down the times the buses are coming between 12pm and 6pm.  I guarantee you'll see tons of bus bunching, where 2 buses come back-to-back, and then you won't see any other buses for 40 minutes.  You'll see how buses leave 10 or 20 minutes behind schedule at the first stop (Jamaica and Freeport). 

On the other hand, the N4x is always on-time, to the second.  If you arrive even one second late, you risk having the door slammed in your face.

Yup, xfer'd at Lynbrook JUST to see it leave the first stop. The next n4 was packed. I would've LIRR'd it, but I didn't feel like paying that much to get to Jamaica.

Yea $5.25 is not worth it from Lynbrook. I'd just take the n4.

The N4 local is quite unreliable, especially on weekends. Stand at Jamaica/Archer Ave, Lynbrook/5 Corners, and Freeport, and write down the times the buses are coming between 12pm and 6pm. I guarantee you'll see tons of bus bunching, where 2 buses come back-to-back, and then you won't see any other buses for 40 minutes. You'll see how buses leave 10 or 20 minutes behind schedule at the first stop (Jamaica and Freeport).

On the other hand, the N4x is always on-time, to the second. If you arrive even one second late, you risk having the door slammed in your face.

Yea the n4 local is a hit or a miss. And always has been even when the (MTA) ran the show. But I just use the "Transit" app. I've tested it some Freeport bound n4s left a minute ahead schedule. It's just a matter of luck. When you don't need the bus they site up in bunches of 2 and even 3. But when you actually need it it doesn't show up. :sigh: Edited by N4 Via Merrick Rd

They did? that's interesting. Making connections there sucked.

If it was up to you would you have the MTA retake over NICE?

No, there's this revisionist history where people feel like MTA was super great running LIB. But I remember late buses, broke down buses, packed buses, etc, and this was before NICE was even thought of. NICE may have modified routes, but was the MTA really "better" at running LIB? Not necessarily.

There is room for improvement however, if they're going to schedule buses a certain way , especially to make connections, then the buses SHOULD BE ON TIME! And/or the B/O's of the connecting buses need to be able to communicate with each other.

Another thing is the N6 Evening service, 20 headway after 9PM from Jamaica means full buses and flagging.

No reverse peak runs on the N1 means you need the N6 in the mornings to get to Elmont Rd, but of course you can't catch the bus that should connect within a few mins, because it will most likely be late and make you miss the N1.

That's another thing that B/o's in general don't take into account when passing people you may definitely need that bus as you need to make a connection. Sure you should allot time for stuff like that, but do you really need to double your commute time to make sure you're super early for all your connections (which may be late btw)?

You know how c/o's sometimes say "Use all available doors". B/O's should say "Use all available seats" it frees up more room for standees.

Edited by N6 Limited

They did? that's interesting. Making connections there sucked.

No, there's this revisionist history where people feel like MTA was super great running LIB. But I remember late buses, broke down buses, packed buses, etc. NICE may have modified routes, but was the MTA really "better" at running LIB? Not necessarily.

There is room for imporovement however, if they're going to schedule buses a certain way , especially to make connections, then the buses

Yes. They moved the stop where the Bank of America is across from the pet shop. Which also serves the northbound n31/32. Definitely more convenient.