Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you meant don't be surprised if they DON'T boost service. lol

Look what they did to the N43& 22 Nuff said. Remember the X. Some super routes need to just get broken up it's very unrealistic for a bus from hicksville doing twists all the time to reach Jamaica in a reasonable amount of time.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Look what they did to the N43& 22 Nuff said. Remember the X. Some super routes need to just get broken up it's very unrealistic for a bus from hicksville doing twists all the time to reach Jamaica in a reasonable amount of time.

Uhhh....they hardly did anything to the n22. Those X trips are AM only and the Limited was shit, so they got rid of it....

Please, know what you're talking about before you post.

Uhhh....they hardly did anything to the n22. Those X trips are AM only and the Limited was shit, so they got rid of it....

Please, know what you're talking about before you post.

While I agree the limited was shit, they actually converted some of the limiteds into n22a's. The n22x still runs in the reverse peak direction though, in the AM and PM.

I see there was a story in Newsday about LIBRU upset over the fare hike. I dont get their whining, their raising the cash fare to match Metrocard & GoMobile fares, MTA would've done the same!

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/nice-bus-advocate-rolls-out-list-of-demands-to-improve-service-1.9228998

Of course what is completely left out in the story is how UNRELIABLE the buses are.

A week ago last Friday I spent 90 minutes in Nassau Community College because I missed my n35, because he came 10 minutes early! Then the next 2 buses never showed up, because they both broke down. Everyday it's a problem, I've never seen the buses in such sorry shape. Last Saturday 1865 kept feeling like it was gonna stall at a light, yesterday the n46 was 30 minutes late because 1644 broke down, overheated, no other buses available so it went back into service, everytime we stopped it felt like the thing was gonna stall out. 1640's engine was shaking so badly on the n45 today. Funny thing a girl I know who works in Bellmore and who lives in Freeport stopped taking the n19 & uses the LIRR instead, because the n19 runs less often now and is unreliable. 

If anyone needs to be fired it should be Ed Mangano for letting things get this bad. MTA never kept buses in this poor shape. And for y'all who keep saying how many LIB's failed inspection in 2011, thats because once Mangano decided to get rid of the MTA, they were out the door. It hasn't even been that hot this summer, and the buses are breaking down constantly. None of the buses run correctly, even the 3Gs sound like shit. That's what $30 less per operational hour gets you. I dont even see how the V's are going to last even another summer. They can't keep this up, major cuts ARE coming, they dont have the $$, equipment, or drivers,  and I do not intend to live here for much longer, and move to someplace along the Babylon Line with decent train service. 

I see there was a story in Newsday about LIBRU upset over the fare hike. I dont get their whining, their raising the cash fare to match Metrocard & GoMobile fares, MTA would've done the same!

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/nice-bus-advocate-rolls-out-list-of-demands-to-improve-service-1.9228998

Of course what is completely left out in the story is how UNRELIABLE the buses are.

A week ago last Friday I spent 90 minutes in Nassau Community College because I missed my n35, because he came 10 minutes early! Then the next 2 buses never showed up, because they both broke down. Everyday it's a problem, I've never seen the buses in such sorry shape. Last Saturday 1865 kept feeling like it was gonna stall at a light, yesterday the n46 was 30 minutes late because 1644 broke down, overheated, no other buses available so it went back into service, everytime we stopped it felt like the thing was gonna stall out. 1640's engine was shaking so badly on the n45 today. Funny thing a girl I know who works in Bellmore and who lives in Freeport stopped taking the n19 & uses the LIRR instead, because the n19 runs less often now and is unreliable. 

If anyone needs to be fired it should be Ed Mangano for letting things get this bad. MTA never kept buses in this poor shape. And for y'all who keep saying how many LIB's failed inspection in 2011, thats because once Mangano decided to get rid of the MTA, they were out the door. It hasn't even been that hot this summer, and the buses are breaking down constantly. None of the buses run correctly, even the 3Gs sound like shit. That's what $30 less per operational hour gets you. I dont even see how the V's are going to last even another summer. They can't keep this up, major cuts ARE coming, they dont have the $$, equipment, or drivers,  and I do not intend to live here for much longer, and move to someplace along the Babylon Line with decent train service. 

We approved for 25 cent fare hike to improve maintence.

Just wanted to tell you LIBRU will be attending Nassau County Legislature Meeting at 1pm on September 8th, 2014. So you can avoid us.

Past Monday, n87 was not suppose to be running according to NICE Bus which told me last day of n87 was Saturday.

To the person who saw two N4 buses leave Jamaica Center on time - You may want to try standing at Freeport and/or Jamaica Center on weekends, especially Saturdays between 2pm and 7pm, to see massive bus bunching and waits of up to an hour for the N4 bus (when 2 buses come back-to-back).

Until NICE gets serious about having its buses leave its terminals on time, passengers are going to keep finding alternate means of getting around - sharing a cab, taking the LIRR, walking, having a family member/friend drive, not taking the trip, etc.

Every single incident of a bus leaving a terminal late MUST be investigated and corrective measures taken.  Is there normally heavy traffic at a certain time of day which causes a bus at a certain time to always be 10 minutes late?  Or is this a very slow driver who drives much slower than the flow of traffic (which may cause an accident and is a liability to NICE)? 

We approved for 25 cent fare hike to improve maintence.

Just wanted to tell you LIBRU will be attending Nassau County Legislature Meeting at 1pm on September 8th, 2014. So you can avoid us.

Past Monday, n87 was not suppose to be running according to NICE Bus which told me last day of n87 was Saturday.

And the maintanance is worse than ever! What you guys should be doing instead of sounding like a bunch whiners is blaming Ed Mangano for refusing to properly fund the bus system. I saw the photos on the LIBRU website of the protest, no one is going to take you seriously with those signs. It's not "Corporate Greed" and its not Veolia's fault, it's the fault of Ed Mangano and the Nassau County Government for refusing to pay the MTA for their perfectly reasonable request to continue quality bus service. Veolia saw an opportunity to try and prove itself, but as we all can see, it has been a complete failure. And that sign "Stop Making Me Late For work"...you dont even work, just come out here and try and push the LIBRU agenda and making us all look bad in the process. You SHOULD be protesting in front of Ed Mangano's office, even his home, because HE is the reason we are in this mess in the 1st place. But instead you whine about a fare hike that should've been done when MTA raised their Metrocard fare. I can't stand the NICE Bus system but its not their fault, Veolia is just willing to have much lower standards of service than the MTA, thats how they can do it for less. They wouldn't be here if Ed Mangano paid up!

"We can no longer afford to pay more for less. We can no longer make the decision between a bus fare and a meal."

I dont think 25 cents is very much at all, stop making a big deal out of it! Yes the County needs to increase funding but if you want to get taken seriously stop acting like a bunch of crybabies whining over spilled milk! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry everyone but this had to be said, its why I miss Brett's moderation and am still annoyed the powers that be on this forum allow this nonsense spam to be continued to be posted here.  :angry:

Edited by PinePower

And the maintanance is worse than ever! What you guys should be doing instead of sounding like a bunch whiners is blaming Ed Mangano for refusing to properly fund the bus system. I saw the photos on the LIBRU website of the protest, no one is going to take you seriously with those signs. It's not "Corporate Greed" and its not Veolia's fault, it's the fault of Ed Mangano and the Nassau County Government for refusing to pay the MTA for their perfectly reasonable request to continue quality bus service. Veolia saw an opportunity to try and prove itself, but as we all can see, it has been a complete failure. And that sign "Stop Making Me Late For work"...you dont even work, just come out here and try and push the LIBRU agenda and making us all look bad in the process. You SHOULD be protesting in front of Ed Mangano's office, even his home, because HE is the reason we are in this mess in the 1st place. But instead you whine about a fare hike that should've been done when MTA raised their Metrocard fare. I can't stand the NICE Bus system but its not their fault, Veolia is just willing to have much lower standards of service than the MTA, thats how they can do it for less. They wouldn't be here if Ed Mangano paid up!

Bus riders fighting back against UN(FARE) INCREASES! 

"We can no longer afford to pay more for less. We can no longer make the decision between a bus fare and a meal."

Join them on Monday, September 8th at 1pm at the Nassau County Legislature (1550 Franklin Avenue, Mineola) as they call on the County to increase funding for the buses!

I dont think 25 cents is very much at all, stop making a big deal out of it! Yes the County needs to increase funding but if you want to get taken seriously stop acting like a bunch of crybabies whining over spilled milk! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry everyone but this had to be said, its why I miss Brett and am still annoyed the powers that be on this forum allow this nonsense spam to be continued to be posted here.  :angry:

Pot calling the kettle black 2014

Pot calling the kettle black 2014

I've whined too and been called out on it in the past, but so far it seems everyone wants to avoid criticizing him for doing the same. And being "different" is no excuse for it either. Its no benefit to this thread and this forum for him to continue derailing topics and posting inappropriate comments. NICE has alot of problems and everytime some of us try & point it out he comes in and posts this stuff. Its a buzzkill and its a big reason why activity in this section is down so much. When Brett was in charge things were much more active with new posts & information daily. But when he was removed from his position the spam returned and ppl stopped posting, because they are sick of Yuki trying to promote LIBRU everytime someone posted something meaningful.

He lives in Queens, he doesn't have to ride NICE, I do because I live here, and I resent him hijacking subjects to promote LIBRU's agenda or talking about how there should be more buses at Whole Foods in Jericho (for goodness sake...they are in NYC!).

And yes he does the same thing at the NICE hearings, even getting extra time because someone else has to read his comments. I'm sorry someone had to stand up and say it. 

Edited by PinePower

I'm sorry everyone but this had to be said, its why I miss Brett's moderation and am still annoyed the powers that be on this forum allow this nonsense spam to be continued to be posted here. :angry:

It's being taken care of.

However, if you're complaining about his LIBRU posts, you have no right to at this juncture considering that you initated the post in the first place, which in turn, had his response. And since YOU started it this time around, you shouldn't complain about it. If that's not the pot calling the kettle black, then I don't know what that is.

If it's about his NICE posts, so what? It's a random thoughts thread, it's never on topic to begin with. If you don't like his posts, ignore them and change the topic, that's why it's called a random thoughts thread.

If it's about his posts irrelevant to the section of the forum. That's being handled, rightfully so.

After all, I rather see some kind of relatable discussions than seeing a troll or two bash folks on here because they got put in their place. And if that continues along with the spam from the opposing side, I'll make sure it comes to an end and ya'll can go on YouTube or some other place to complain to people who really don't give a crap.

Edited by Cait Sith

Lots of NICE Drivers honked at this poster because they not happy with Veolia NICE, including NICE Dispatcher.

10462445_10203281673575603_2606856410098

Back to topic, one regular rider of n20 Hicksville trip told me when I was at Flushing-Main St on Labor Day, last 19:25 n20 Hicksville never showed up on Sunday.

Today when Jack Khouz sent me 19 copies of NICE GoMobile brochure on Saturday, I went to Flushing-Main St yesterday around 18:00 to hand out NICE GoMobile brochures to n20/21 riders.

Little off-topic, I also have mission via NICE Bus to check out every public library in Nassau County as my duty as Citizen Defending Library to see libraries has empty bookshelves and if they do, I reported to Citizen Defending Library.

I go to NICE Bus Territory often because Nassau Library and Suffolk Library has more libraries that do color print from library computer, so I always use NICE when I have unlimited MetroCard and I go to cheap copy place at Franklin Sq which 100 pages only cost $3 one side.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Lots of NICE Drivers honked at this poster because they not happy with Veolia NICE, including NICE Dispatcher.

First off the majority of Dispatchers are were Dispatchers from LIB....

I love this so called bitterness towards NICE, and it;s true it exits and I'm amazed it does, in reality.  Maybe the (MTA) was lax and let the drivers get away with stuff?  I really don't know...  In reality drivers should be grateful with a job at Veolia with a starting pay near $19 and top pay near $27.  If drivers want to be reminded how good they have I regularly look into class B jobs to see if leaving this industry was a wise decision or not, I'd be happy to post the jobs out there as a reminder of what the options are!  This weeks job features CDL B furniture delivery (lots of heavy lifting) for $14 to $15 an hour!  I've even thought about leaving a job that requires a college degree and going to drive for NICE because it starts off paying more than a job that requires a degree and in  6 years it probably pays more.

If the drivers are unhappy with Veolia Boo Hoo, it's corporate America, they're not let you get away with what the (MTA) did or let them earn almost $900 a week working 20 hours in overtime when they can pay a new hire under $400 a week to cover the same 40 hours.

If you don't like it quit, your option this week is back breaking furniture delivery for $4/$5 dollars an hour less... 

To the person who saw two N4 buses leave Jamaica Center on time - You may want to try standing at Freeport and/or Jamaica Center on weekends, especially Saturdays between 2pm and 7pm, to see massive bus bunching and waits of up to an hour for the N4 bus (when 2 buses come back-to-back).

Until NICE gets serious about having its buses leave its terminals on time, passengers are going to keep finding alternate means of getting around - sharing a cab, taking the LIRR, walking, having a family member/friend drive, not taking the trip, etc.

Every single incident of a bus leaving a terminal late MUST be investigated and corrective measures taken.  Is there normally heavy traffic at a certain time of day which causes a bus at a certain time to always be 10 minutes late?  Or is this a very slow driver who drives much slower than the flow of traffic (which may cause an accident and is a liability to NICE)? 

Kinda hard to do considering how stupidly long these routes are.

^this.

Along with traffic and the vast amount of people that use the line. That n4 is HEAVY!

During evening rush hour, passengers at Jamaica Center lined up from n4 bay all the way near dispatcher booth's.

During evening rush hour, passengers at Jamaica Center lined up from n4 bay all the way near dispatcher booth's.

This and the delays you mentioned earlier are nothing new, this was all present during the golden (MTA) era...

At least NICE rerouted the bus to take the Merrick Rd exit at the Sunrise/Merrick merge instead of taking the right by Lay Z Boy and a left at King Kullen. was wasting a lot of time, I dunno why LIB didn't change that earlier...

Kinda hard to do considering how stupidly long these routes are.

^this.

Along with traffic and the vast amount of people that use the line. That n4 is HEAVY!

Bingo!

Short of completely redesigning the route the only thing NICE could really do is put added into the schedule to make it more consistent and realistic.  Even then, traffic jams vary...  Accidents on the route happen every day!, traffic building up on the Southern State backs up sunrise, which then backs up Merrick...

Something to think about Adding time to the schedule could have an adverse effect on service and even the amount of buses on the n4, let's say veolia adds 15 minutes of scheduled time to 12 (I pulled that number out of the sky, but 6 AM and 6PM buses?) weekday buses... 15min x 12 = 3 hours per day...  3 hrs x 5 weekdays a week is 15 hours per week...  x 52 weeks = an extra 780 extra hours a year!  Veolia gets paid hourly (I hope the number isn't out of date, sorry if it is), Veolai charges Nassau County $87.12 per vehicle hour for Fixed 

Route buses.  an extra 780 hours a year x $87.12/hour = $67,953.60...

To add 15 minutes of scheduled time to 12 buses per weekday is $68,000!  Where the hell is NICE going to get $68,000 when they don't have money?  They'd have to cut service somewhere else...

1)  News 12 made NO mention of the $400,000 contribution Veolia made of THEIR money that they didn't have to, the service cuts that would need to be made if there wasn't this minor increase, or the fact that this was just a cash increase inline with the metro card and MTA increases earlier in the year...

21) At around 1 minute I wish they kept rolling to see these idiots and their list of demands be thrown out by security...

3) What an idiot this Anits Halasz (LI Jobs with Justice) seems to be...  Because of her stupid and either uninformed comment or comment neglecting the facts "demanding" NICE  to issue the riders a public thank you for "bailing 'them' out, because that's this is...  ...when there's no service increase with this fare increase w're bailing them out..."  I DEMAND this idiot issue a public apology and thank you to NICE to contributing $400,000 of their money to the system and not cutting service instead...

4) Seriously, can I get a tip off of when sh!t like this is happening so I can can make fools like this look even dumber.... Oh yea, I forgot, this was already a one sided story by News12....

That's what I said too, lmfao. Fail protest regardless, only like 6 or 7 people at a (almost) deserted bus stop.

Which is not what one calls a protest, that's just unnecessary noise....

He needs to start hanging out with a better crowd...  

Hand delivering a list of demands to NICE... Are you kidding me!?!  I wish I could see how fast that sttel door at MF closed when they saw them enter the lobby. lol

Right...either that or they probably laughed.

Edited by Cait Sith