Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

NICE definitely should start Manhattan express service. They're not the MTA anymore, they can offer competition to the LIRR which is badly needed there. In a lot of NJ and the parts of Westchester (with the BxM4C) they have the option to take an express bus to Manhattan instead of a train, but since the MTA controlled transit in Nassau for so many years they never offered another option than the LIRR (even the MTABus routes that compete with LIRR in Queens and MNRR in the Bronx were operated by PBLs and to this day only exist because of city funding except the few routes NYCT runs). LI commuting is a big business that's right now an MTA monopoly, but NICE can definitely change that and get some extra money and riders.

only manhattan to Nassau buses that would stand a chance are ones with reverse peak service. Other times the LIRR would embarrass em. If their local buses have OTP issues ones via LIE have no chance. Plus only one MTA Bus route directly competes with MNRR and it competes with 2 subway lines and has the lowest ridership of all express routes excluding peak only routes. The highway network in Nassau doesn't lend to NYC Manhattan bound service it would be too slow.

Well look at Queens. Many areas have a choice between the LIRR and express bus and choose the express bus even though there's traffic.

wrong QM21 is on life support. X63 carries air in Rosedale very in accurate. Qm3 barely runs LIRR is king there.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wrong QM21 is on life support. X63 carries air in Rosedale very in accurate. Qm3 barely runs LIRR is king there.

That's also inaccurate. I can tell you first hand that x63s in the Rosedale/Springfield Gardens area carry people, quite a bit more than you would think.

Plus only one MTA Bus route directly competes with MNRR and it competes with 2 subway lines and has the lowest ridership of all express routes excluding peak only routes.

Anything that goes to Riverdale competes with MNRR. They have the Rail Link buses to get people from the main parts of Riverdale to the stations in Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil.

Are all of NICE's buses in their scheme?

Not at all. They tried to get most of them, but a lot of the vinyl orange scheme wraps on the NGs are falling off.

That's also inaccurate. I can tell you first hand that x63s in the Rosedale/Springfield Gardens area carry people, quite a bit more than you would think.

I guess I caught those in the evening but I did see them in the Rosedale area empty most riders are on merrick Blvd. Nassau's road layout won't allow an express bus to be effective plus LIRR is too frequent to compete directly with.

Anything that goes to Riverdale competes with MNRR. They have the Rail Link buses to get people from the main parts of Riverdale to the stations in Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil.

Not at all. They tried to get most of them, but a lot of the vinyl orange scheme wraps on the NGs are falling off.

Those 2 reach different parts of Manhattan you failed. Nassau doesn't have an extensive highway network that would allow express buses to be effective like the bronx. Many high ridership areas are closer to LIRR and very far from the LIE. I only suggested coach buses since they handle speed on regular Nassau roads better. If people won't put up with delay prone local buses 40 min delay express buses will get shunned completely and would do very poorly only reason the jitney gets away with it is since their service area has very little competition. Plus the Babylon and KO lines are 24/7 no way NICE can compete with that kind of service and frequency unless they run reverse peak express buses problem is how are they gonna get to those trip generators other than say RFM and hicksville. We can drop the LIRR needs competition nonsense now.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Seeing lots of complaints on NICE's Facebook & Twitter about buses not showing up. This is a big reason why. Yup, a sad sight, a 3G broken down in Mineola. Just look at that engine compartment. NICE's lack of good maintanance may be killing these buses so much there will be no point of return, you can only screw up an engine so much before its toast.

10393866_849593395065778_207246554123690

Edited by PinePower

Seeing lots of complaints on NICE's Facebook & Twitter about buses not showing up. This is a big reason why. Yup, a sad sight, a 3G broken down in Mineola. Just look at that engine compartment. NICE's lack of good maintanance may be killing these buses so much there will be no point of return, you can only screw up an engine so much before its toast.

10393866_849593395065778_207246554123690

Funny enough, I saw one of those and those shittier, higher tier 1600s with service trucks earlier this week near Springfield Blvd. This one looks more like a fluid leak than an engine problem, as you can tell from the trail it leaves behind.

Edited by Cait Sith

Hound, I sent you a PM, scroll all the way to the top of the page and click on the envelope in the top right corner...

I miss when Veolia didn't require a shill a non-paid PR rep someone to defend every little thing they do.

Oh wait.

Are you referring to me?  With all the stupid (MTA) cheer leading are you really going to make that comment?

Do you really want to start kicking mud for no reason?  We've been so civil lately....

I wasn't even gone a week and we have all this (MTA) cheerleading...  I miss the (MTA) things were so much better with the (MTA))...  Were they?  I understand why Hound misses the (MTA) he misses the $100 grand a year pay day.  He had enough seniority where he'd be one of the few drivers not laid off driving the skeleton system...  Joel Up Front, how would you fare with only a skeleton system?  Maybe hourly service on the busiest lines.  You and PinePower can't even handle the service as it is....

I'm sorry you don't like me being the Veolia cheer leader telling the truth...

Cait Smith, for Christmas can I get a bot in this section to auto post the fact that the golden (MTA) was planning on running a "skeleton system" (there term) for more money than what Veolia is working with now and the fact that NICE does more per dollar than the (MTA) did whenever someone posts that they miss the (MTA) or things would be so much better if the (MTA) came back?

I wasn't even gone a week and we have all this (MTA) cheerleading...  I miss the (MTA) things were so much better with the (MTA))...  Were they?  I understand why Hound misses the (MTA) he misses the $100 grand a year pay day.  He had enough seniority where he'd be one of the few drivers not laid off driving the skeleton system...  Joel Up Front, how would you fare with only a skeleton system?  Maybe hourly service on the busiest lines.  You and PinePower can't even handle the service as it is....

I'm sorry you don't like me being the Veolia cheer leader telling the truth...

Cait Smith, for Christmas can I get a bot in this section to auto post the fact that the golden (MTA) was planning on running a "skeleton system" (there term) for more money than what Veolia is working with now and the fact that NICE does more per dollar than the (MTA) did whenever someone posts that they miss the (MTA) or things would be so much better if the (MTA) came back?

Every single time someone brings up a criticism, you go "muh skeleton system" and "muh veolia."  Every time.  It could be valid and true and something that any regular rider could bring up (myself included) and you just hide behind your mighty "Veolia wall."  I'm sick of it and the godawful service.  Five years of riding the bus and not ONE single "improvement" either company has made has helped anyone.

I really haven't seen any difference in anything.  The 3G's are neat and all but when buses are still late, bunched up, or entirely missing on a scale not too far off from what they were last decade, what "improvements" are there?  Dispatchers might be all over the place but the same buses on the same routes are still plagued with the same issues day by day.  I still see people complain to them.  Every day, the same thing happens - a bus might leave right on time but it'll just get delayed or slowed down and that'll keep building up until it ends up 10-20 minutes behind.  This is worse then they have to do a trip back or deadhead elsewhere to start another trip. 

When problems start happening daily, people complain.  When it happens weekly, people find other routes.  When it's been going on for years, then riders get pissed, stop riding the bus and take their money elsewhere because they know alternate forms of transit are far more reliable, and thus, worth their money.  I'd love to see some YTD ridership figures and see how it's held up since 2012.  The ones who are still stuck on these buses are the ones who literally have no other way to get around, and they're the ones who have my sympathy.  If sympathy was enough to improve service, then I would have seen something by now.

I'm sick and tired of the service and of the people who still think it's better.  I'm grateful to God above that I passed my road test on Tuesday because I'd be goddamned if I was going to put up with another year of this shit.  I do understand that they're more or less continuing what LIB did before 2011 but when people still have the same problems as they did 5-7 years ago, I don't think there's any thing that's been "improved."

Edited by Joel Up Front

I'm grateful to God above that I passed my road test on Tuesday because I'd be goddamned if I was going to put up with another year of this shit.  

Thank god, goodbye!  [sarcasm]Your life will be so much better now![/sarcasm]

I really haven't seen any difference in anything.  

That's the difference, you say it over and over more with less then you stumble right over the point.

There is not a skeleton system...

I'm sick and tired of the service and of the people who still think it's better.

I'm sick of you idiots coming here and bitching about how much NICE sucks and how much better the (MTA) was.  I'm sorry you don't like hearing the truth whenever you decided to piss on NICE because you were frustrated with your life because you couldn't pass a simple driving test.

I'm tired of having to constantly type the truth every time you and Pine go on a NICE bashing spree...  When I was typing this afternoon I literally had to muster up the strength because I was tired of typing the same shit for people who can't comprehend it because they're here saying the same crap a day or two later. 

I came her years ago just to be the voice of reason, to point out the other side, and people like you have turned me into Mr. Veolia constantly having to run to their defense every time one of you tools says the (MTA) was better, you want the (MTA) back, etc etc etc...  I have to remind you of the truth,the a couple of days later you're back here spouting the same " (MTA) was better, this never would have happened with the (MTA) ."  It's frustrating!

That's the difference, you say it over and over more with less then you stumble right over the point.

I'm sick of you idiots coming here and bitching about how much NICE sucks and how much better the (MTA) was.  I'm sorry you don't like hearing the truth whenever you decided to piss on NICE because you were frustrated with your life because you couldn't pass a simple driving test.

I'm tired of having to constantly type the truth every time you and Pine go on a NICE bashing spree...  When I was typing this afternoon I literally had to muster up the strength because I was tired of typing the same shit for people who can't comprehend it because they're here saying the same crap a day or two later. 

I came her years ago just to be the voice of reason, to point out the other side, and people like you have turned me into Mr. Veolia constantly having to run to their defense every time one of you tools says the (MTA) was better, you want the (MTA) back, etc etc etc...  I have to remind you of the truth,the a couple of days later you're back here spouting the same " (MTA) was better, this never would have happened with the (MTA) ."  It's frustrating!

You know parroting the same crap over and over again and then getting called out on it shouldn't come as a surprise.  The criticisms I have about Veolia are the same I had with LIB.  Note that I'm not bringing up the money because that's a given.  The bus service here has been utter shit for decades and that's been my belief for years.  Why do you have to get this butthurt whenever someone has a criticism against the company "sent from above?"

Edited by Joel Up Front

I miss the down vote button...  :D

I miss the days when this forum wasn't over-ruled by a**holes and pricks, who have nothing better to do than give others shit because of their own opinion. Everyone has a right to remain their opinion, and should never receive a down-vote because of what they think.

You sure like to whine and bitch man...