Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great success "Car-Free Day" on LI was. 

Roads were just as packed as they were and the buses?  I've stated my opinion already, I don't need to say it again.

Seemed like there were more cars around old country/franklin coming home today :lol:

Car free day... yeah right.....

Back on thursday, they littered (which is what it was) LIRR trains posting that shit on all the seats inside the train.... Took a peek at one of the pamphlets, laughed, then commenced dozing off until I got to JAM......

What a great success "Car-Free Day" on LI was. 

Roads were just as packed as they were and the buses?  I've stated my opinion already, I don't need to say it again.

To north shore, it was mostly car-free or car-lite.

I took (7) to Flushing-Main St, then after getting juice from 7bean at New World, made it to 15:50 n20 Hicksville #1655 departed 3 minutes late. It was traffic on Northern Blvd, but after Great Neck, NO TRAFFIC.

Not so many people waiting for bus at Great Neck Station today.

Then when bus passed by Marcy's, normally filled parking lot was ALMOST EMPTY.

I got off at Roslyn-LOCUST at 15:48. I made copy of TAC meeting fliers, then went back and took 15:56 n23 Mineola #1720 ontime at 16:21, then took it to Roslyn Station, got off at 16:28. Bus I took had rear door broke during run.

Waiting for n27 bus to NICE Bus Depot, I was FORCED TO WAIT AN HOUR FOR n27.

While waiting for n27, I stand by LIRR Crossing Gate to see if People Behave Badly Like California, and yup, black car coming from across train track made left turn into Station Parking Lot Exit!!

16:56 n27 Hempstead #1830 came ontime, but it was EXTREME OVERCROWDED. n27 route was more TRAFFIC. Once we got to Jericho Turnpike, Orion Green which was 14:30 n27 Hempstead. That bus almost broke down and that driver was extreme late. Got off NICE Bus Depot at 18:00.

Then I walk up to gas station to get Newsday, use restroom, then walk to BJ to get Organic Black Tea, then walk to RFM, navigating through oncoming traffic and made it to 17:20 n24 Hicksville #1871 was ontime and got off at East Gate Blvd/Old Country Rd at 18:33.

I walk to Trader Joe's to buy Nourish Spa shampoo/conditioner, then after that I went to Shake Shack to get Cheese Fries and organic iced brew tea to go which only took 4 minutes, and I got on 17:50 n24 Hicksville #1806 ontime and got to Hicksville Station 5 minutes earlier.

I took n20/21 schedules for passengers because lots of n20/21 riders asked me for bus schedule and got on 19:35 n20 Flushing #1832 leaving at 19:34.

I had my lunch on n20 ride. It was smooth ride and NO TRAFFIC. Bus was mostly on schedule and when we got to Great Neck Station, NO CRAZY LINE FOR FLUSHING. (Sometimes n20 FLushing line could go all the way to n25 Bus Stop.

It was smooth ride all the way to Roosevelt Av/Bowne St, but due to double park car, b/o had to squeeze his bus through MTA vehicle and arrived 20:50.

Then after that I took 21:00 Q48 LaGuardia #5981 at 21:02, got off Delta Airline @ 21:24, then got M60 SBS Ticket and got on #5981 at 21:27, got off at CTB at 21:30, show tourists how to use SBS.

I figured 21:49 Q72 Rego Park properly comes at 21:55, then use restroom, then go back to assist.

I got on 21:49 Q72 Rego Park at 21:55, which was #3721.

While I was on Q72, since I had NICE Bus Map (collected) and n20/21 schedule on my backpack, she asked me if she could have one and I said yes. I also handed out TAC flier as well.

I got off Junction Blvd/37th Av at 22:05, went home straight.

Car Free Report

14:50 n20 Hicksville delayed. Traffic mostly up to Great Neck Rd.

15:56 n23 Mineola ontime. No traffic.

16:56 n27 Hempstead ontime. Traffic only along n27 route.

16:30 n27 Hempstead passed our bus when we got to Jericho Turnpike. Traffic only along n27 route.

17:20 n24 Hicksville ontime. NO TRAFFIC.

17:50 n24 Hicksville ontime. NO TRAFFIC.

19:35 n20 Flushing 1 minute early. NO TRAFFIC.

21:00 Q48 LaGuardia: No Traffic except for airport.

M60 SBS: Little traffic at airport.

21:55 Q72 Rego Park: No traffic outside airport.

Seemed like there were more cars around old country/franklin coming home today :lol:

Car free day... yeah right.....

Back on thursday, they littered (which is what it was) LIRR trains posting that shit on all the seats inside the train.... Took a peek at one of the pamphlets, laughed, then commenced dozing off until I got to JAM......

Lol if LI wants to go car free have safer crossings and pedestrian overpasses at most LIRR stations on sunrise. Then reorganize some residential bus routes to go to where people want to go reduce redundant services and actually boost frequency on the stand alone routes. Break up the least reliable routes into more manageable ones. Then when MTA throws in reverse peak LIRR then you can finally go car free untill then they are kidding themselves.

Regular n4 riders never gave up on bus to take LIRR because Jamaica Center and Jamaica Station is about 6-8 blocks while most of LIRR Stations along n4 require passengers to cross dangerous Sunrise Highway.

4 things can explain this 1) they are probably reverse commuters 2) They are cheap and lazy or going to destinations in SE queens 3) there are cross walks at most if not all the sunrise hwy LIRR stations 4) I do admit pedestrian access should be improved that can be taken up with the MTA.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

4 things can explain this 1) they are probably reverse commuters 2) They are cheap and lazy or going to destinations in SE queens 3) there are cross walks at most if not all the sunrise hwy LIRR stations 4) I do admit pedestrian access should be improved that can be taken up with the MTA.

lol@cheap and lazy.  It's not so simple. 

Traffic were along Northern Blvd in Queens-Great Neck, then along n27 route Roslyn Rd-Jericho Turnpike-Old Country Rd from Roslyn Station to RFM entrance.

I don't understand a thing your saying.

As much as people rag on him, they have to keep in mind that English isn't his first language.

Right, If you're fluent in English you should be able to understand what FamousNYLover is saying.

"There was traffic along Northern Blvd from Queens to Great Neck as well as the N27 route between Roslyn Station and RFM. 

Lmfao at this...

You shouldn't be doing this, period!

I didn't say on street. I help on sidewalk. If emergency vehicle response near horse-drawn carriage, I step in front of horse-drawn carriage because I have seen carriage drivers jumping in front of responding vehicle.

Ugh wrong city I live in merrick haven't lived in lb since sandy but I visit there every weekend.

I usually go to public library to get schedule.

It may come back someday. NICE sucks.

I agreed. Some riders, bus operators says Veolia is s-word.

One of Nassau County Bus Transit Committee is vice-president of All Island Taxi, and doesn't ride a BUS. If  All Island Taxi vice-president was NCBTC, s/he should ride NICE Bus from various All Island Taxi offices to see for him/her-self how he feels about crowded buses or overcrowded buses.

Question of the day : How reliable is the N20 LTD when it runs?

It's popular and most people take n20L to avoid Great Neck Station and Roslyn Neighborhood.

Most Glen Cove passengers prefer n20L to Greenvale for n27 because it's faster than n21.

Same for evening trip down, most people try to get on n20L before it finishes because they don't want to deal with overcrowded at Great Neck Station.

I didn't say on street. I help on sidewalk. If emergency vehicle response near horse-drawn carriage, I step in front of horse-drawn carriage because I have seen carriage drivers jumping in front of responding vehicle.

I usually go to public library to get schedule.

I agreed. Some riders, bus operators says Veolia is s-word.

One of Nassau County Bus Transit Committee is vice-president of All Island Taxi, and doesn't ride a BUS. If  All Island Taxi vice-president was NCBTC, s/he should ride NICE Bus from various All Island Taxi offices to see for him/her-self how he feels about crowded buses or overcrowded buses.

Trying to decipher what the hell this means. It's never a good idea to step into lanes of traffic, no matter the reason. That's pretty much suicidal unless you're an idiot. Anyway back on topic, Bee-Line is better than NICE, more reliable, and convenient.

Doesn't matter, you still shouldn't be doing that.

Trying to decipher what the hell this means. It's never a good idea to step into lanes of traffic, no matter the reason. That's pretty much suicidal unless you're an idiot. Anyway back on topic, Bee-Line is better than NICE, more reliable, and convenient.

By the horse-drawn carriage is not on travel lane, but parking lane for carriage horse. They sometimes blocks travel lane.

Back to NICE, today after I did shopping at Garden of Eden Morningside Heights via Q49, Q72, Q70, M60 SBS, M60 SBS, Q70, (F), then went to Jericho Whole Food via NICE Bus and I experience following issue.

Today, after riding Q49, Q72, M60 SBS (round trip from LGA-LGA via Morningside Heights, I took n6, n1, n8, n6, n15, n22, n20, then LI Yellow Cab to Hicksville for LIRR Station for LIRR to Q70, Q49 home.

12:50 n6 Hempstead 1734 departed Hillside Av/168th St ontime 13:54, but arrived Elmont Rd at 13:22, 8 minutes late from 13:14.

12:35 n1 Hewlett #1699 departed 9 minutes late at 13:44, arrived Green Acres Mall/Marcy's at 14:16, 20 minutes late from 13:56.

After I got rip of Yaku Chinese Noodle place for lunch, but I gave which he forgot to give me 28 cent change, but he only gave me 3 cent back.

After I finish with lunch little, I used restroom quickly and I said thank you as I handed back tray and I told the taster I gave that 25 cent as tip since he didn't gave me change since I gave him $10.50, but he didn't give me change back 3 cent because he was distracted with Chinese customers who was trying to cut a line to pay for her meal.

15:15 n8 Floral Park #1658 came late at 16:48, 4 minutes late and they was unexpected detour on Rockaway Av due to Elmont Event (which was NOT POSTED ON NICE BUS WEBSITE). I got off n8 at Meacham Av/Hempstead Turnpike at 16:26, 20 minutes late from 16:06.

Around 16:28, guess what bus showed up? n4 JAMAICA BUS!! What in the world n4 Jamaica bus during in Elmont?

16:00 n6 Hempstead #1733 departed 16:34, 5 minutes late from 16:59, but at few stops, he couldn't get wheelchair ramp to work, and arrived HTC 16:57, 7 minutes late from 16:50.

At Hempstead Transit Center, almost every buses travelling via HTC was running LATE!!

I asked if n4 Jamaica had detour since I spotted n4 at Meacham Av n2/8 bus stop but he didn't know.

16:20 n15 Roosevelt Field #1708 departed 17:19, 8 minutes late from 17:11, but arrived RFM at 17:31, 8 minutes late.

16:40 n22 Hicksville #1873 came and departed 17:33, 2 minutes late from 17:31, and arrived Hicksville Station at 18:00, 5 minutes late.

There was (MTA) Bus and (NYCT) Buses from Jamaica Depot, Eastchester Depot, College Point, Casey Stengel, Queens VIllage Depot and CHEESE BUSES during LIRR Shuttle Bus.

18:04 n20 Flushing #1687 came 27 minutes late at 18:31, and got off North Broadway/Columbia Drive at 18:39, 29 lates from 18:10.

I did relaxing Whole Food errand at Jericho, and finish my lunch from Green Acres Mall, then about 19:40, I went to get Organic milk and one more One Daily for my mother's errand and finish my lunch along with Cinnanon Muffin I got from Morningside Eden via M60 SBS.

I went to CVS to get pen because my other pen wasn't working well.

I waited for 20:14 n20 Flushing which was suppose to come 20:20, but I figured bus might come around 20:50, but IT NEVER DID. So I had to give up on n20-Q48-Q72 combo home. I gave up and ask CVS employee if he knows number for taxi but he didn't know. I said thank you.

I ask a nice people on black SUV if he knows number for taxi and he searched for me. He asked me if I have cell phone, but not now, so he called taxi for Jericho CVS to Hicksville Station which he repeated taxi's message it was $8 and I said yes and he repeated that taxi coming in few minutes. I said thank you since I am always polite and he drove happily.

It was LI Yellow Cab #71 which departed 21:02, and arrived Hicksville Station at 21:12, which I paid $9 ($1 tip) with receipt, but I missed direct train to Woodside at 21:16 b/c I didn't hear announcement.

I was forced to take taxi today because 20:14 n20 Flushing NEVER SHOWED UP AT ALL.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Wonderful day you had I guess. Anyway that still doesn't explain why on earth you step into a lane of traffic.

I didn't step in travel lane. I step in bus stop lane at Manhattan Av because sidewalk is blocked by overgrowned brushes.

IN NYC, I didn't step in travel lane. I step in front of carriage lane.

Back to NICE Bus, maybe that n4 Jamaica driver got lost?

Wouldn't it make more sense to let the professional drivers navigate around the carriages instead of stepping out yourself and potentially spooking the horse?

SuperYuki to the rescue yet again... :-/

Animal rights activist don't spoke horses because we're friendly with every horses.

Only carriage drivers makes illegal U-turn on wrong way street.

Please try to get back to NICEBus topic.

Back to NICE Bus, every time when I take n20 bus trip to/from Hicksville, Brookville Farm takes good care of their horses.

I remember when I took n24 to Eisenhower State Park for Coles Brother Circus protest, Nassau County Police takes good care of their Mounted Unit horses. We saw it during Oceanside protest.

Animal rights activist don't spoke horses because we're friendly with every horses.

Only carriage drivers makes illegal U-turn on wrong way street.

Please try to get back to NICEBus topic.

Park for Coles Brother Circus protest, Nassau County Police takes good care of their Mounted Unit horses. We saw it during Oceanside protest.

Well, you did bring it up, so....

Anything is better than NICE!