Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today, when I got off Q48 bus at 21:48, I saw longest line (20 people) on n20 Roslyn and two Chinese ladies told me she has been waiting for n20 for an hour.

8:55 n20 Roslyn never showed up they told me. I stay until 22:00 when last 21:55 n20 Roslyn #1758 was just 5 minutes late.

Passengers were happy last bus showed up.

Today, when I got off Q48 bus at 21:48, I saw longest line (20 people) on n20 Roslyn and two Chinese ladies told me she has been waiting for n20 for an hour.

8:55 n20 Roslyn never showed up they told me. I stay until 22:00 when last 21:55 n20 Roslyn #1758 was just 5 minutes late.

Passengers were happy last bus showed up.

Aren't there usually long lines at Flushing and Great Neck for the n20?

They ain't messing around with the closed door policy in Queens anymore. Someone tried to get on a N20 to Flushing in Bayside and the driver wouldn't move even after he swiped his Metro. Picked up the radio and asked the depot to call the cops, then he finally got off (this was right by the 111 Precinct). 

This driver definitely wasn't messing around, he held the bus for 2 lights at least while this guy gave him sh*t like "I swiped my card move the damn bus". Other people didn't know what was going on and started offering to pay his fare. I'm guessing NYCDOT or some other city agency is starting to catch on that people regularly try to beat the closed door policy and they want NICE to have it stop. I see it all the time and usually they get let on and the bus never gets held up more than the 5 seconds it takes to argue with the driver before he usually moves. Getting off in Queens from Flushing/Jamaica, I don't know how they'll stop that one. People getting off at a major stop run out when the door opens or push the back door open.

I think lots of Queens riders aren't aware of NICE Bus's closed door policy.

Most riders on n4, n20, n21, n22 buses happens quiet often.

I remember when I was on n4X to Freeport from Jamaica Center, somebody got off at 130th Rd-Farmers Blvd.

I remember when I was on n20 Hicksville, someone wanted to get off in little before Nassau County, and nasty man didn't care about closed door policy.

I remember when I was on n4X to Freeport from Jamaica Center, somebody got off at 130th Rd-Farmers Blvd.

I remember when I was on n20 Hicksville, someone wanted to get off in little before Nassau County, and nasty man didn't care about closed door policy.

I think some Queens riders are aware of NICE Bus's closed door policy and take advantage of it because the Nassau buses get them to their destination faster than limited stop service in certain Queens routes.

This guy gets it:

I think some Queens riders are aware of NICE Bus's closed door policy and take advantage of it because the Nassau buses get them to their destination faster than limited stop service in certain Queens routes.

Lots of people take advantage of NICE. Up until now I've never seen someone not get away with it, sure there's short arguments between the driver and pax trying to get off/on the wrong way in Queens but everyone ends up getting their way. Hell a lot of the drivers will pick people waiting in Queens when they drop off if it's a bad weather day. Most people getting off eastbound in Queens know their stop is a major stop the bus is gonna pick up at and will run out the front when it stops there, some will push the back door or just open it if the driver has the back door on before the county line. This is the first time I've ever seen a bus get held up over something like this. I think honestly the driver should have let him on, he paid and was holding up the bus for a good 2-3 minutes and this driver was actually gonna wait for the cops to come on and drag him off (this wasn't trying to intimidate the guy, he was serious). My guess is Veolia was told by NYCDOT to do more about it and the drivers were told to have zero tolerance for it. Remember the city DOT can revoke their right to run in city limits.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I remember one time Q20/Q44 passenger weren't aware of bus stop challenge in Flushing and boarded n20 bus by mistake.

Have anyone made mistake bet. n4 and Q4, n6 and Q6, Q20A/B and n20 buses?

I also remember sometimes (MTA) Trip Planner has glitches and one of man was told by it to get off n4 at Merrick Blvd before city line.

Edited by FamousNYLover

It's getting worse out there, isn't it? If NICE is ever forbidden from operating in Queens, GG ridership...

I'm wondering if someone complained to get the DOT to take action, perhaps the ATU union that covers the NYCT drivers in Queens. Or maybe now that LIB isn't MTA anymore they're starting to give a damn.

Ed Mangano would sure love if the DOT revoked their license so he could make even more cuts.

They should have automated announcements that say buses don't drop eastbound customers in queens

Won't do anything. People damn well know the policy and still take advantage.

If NYCDOT is starting to have a problem with it they should have cops ride the buses through to the city line and stop giving Veolia sh*t for something that's very hard to control. Question is-what actual law (not NICE/NYCDOT policy) is a fare paying customer breaking by getting on and off in Queens?

And if Veolia tells the drivers to strictly enforce the policy we could start seeing assaults like MTA drivers get when they try to enforce the fare, and that's something no one wants. Obviously the closed door policy is needed to speed up peoples' trips to/from Nassau County but strictly enforcing it is gonna be a problem. NICE doesn't even have driver shields.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Speaking of closed door policy, little off-topic, I remember I was on anti horse carriage canvassing in Fresh Meadow starbuck and when I took Manhattan-bound QM5, someone got off at Union Turnpike pickup only where CP depot B/O told him he only pickup passengers going to Manhattan.

Why do you keep posting stuff like this?  This isn't anything Long Island or NICE-related.

I'm going to start counting how many times I see a tow truck beside the Mineola Intermodal Center.  Had to drop someone off at the SSA office there and there was a tow truck and an Orion VII right beside the entrance to the bus terminal.

I was relativing to closed door policy.

Back to topic, when I was at Flushing-Main St tonight, I asked passengers waiting for last 3 buses of day two Fridays ago when NYCDOT Crane Operation closed Flushing-Main St, they got stranded b/c NICE never posted detour sign that affected 22:00 n21 Glen Cove, 22:30 n20 Hicksville and 23:05 n20 Roslyn.

On NICE/Suffolk County Field Trip on October 15th, when I boarded 6:55 n20L Hicksville, one of passenger who boarded at Lakeville Rd told B/O 6:35 n20L Hicksville never show up.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Why do you keep posting stuff like this?  This isn't anything Long Island or NICE-related.

I'm going to start counting how many times I see a tow truck beside the Mineola Intermodal Center.  Had to drop someone off at the SSA office there and there was a tow truck and an Orion VII right beside the entrance to the bus terminal.

Little off-topic= Completely off topic