Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy gets it:

Lots of people take advantage of NICE. Up until now I've never seen someone not get away with it, sure there's short arguments between the driver and pax trying to get off/on the wrong way in Queens but everyone ends up getting their way. Hell a lot of the drivers will pick people waiting in Queens when they drop off if it's a bad weather day. Most people getting off eastbound in Queens know their stop is a major stop the bus is gonna pick up at and will run out the front when it stops there, some will push the back door or just open it if the driver has the back door on before the county line. This is the first time I've ever seen a bus get held up over something like this. I think honestly the driver should have let him on, he paid and was holding up the bus for a good 2-3 minutes and this driver was actually gonna wait for the cops to come on and drag him off (this wasn't trying to intimidate the guy, he was serious). My guess is Veolia was told by NYCDOT to do more about it and the drivers were told to have zero tolerance for it. Remember the city DOT can revoke their right to run in city limits.

or until NICE riders revolt on those queens aholes then it would go down when they realize they aren't welcome.

or until NICE riders revolt on those queens aholes then it would go down when they realize they aren't welcome.

Funny you should mention that.

One night on the n6, I think it was last year, this guy was trying to get off in Queens. You know the routine, the bell rings and the driver ignores it, until the person starts yelling that they want to get off the bus, etc..

We tell the guy to go to the front if he wants to get off, the B/O did not open the door and told the guy not to get on the bus again if they are not going to LI. He wasn't trying to listen to the B/O, and he tried to be like "these people want to go home" and we ALL screamed "ITS YOUR FAULT!" LOL

I can assure you, no one was pissed at the B/O, we're all tired of that nonsense. Especially on the n6 in the evenings, when it gets crowded and people are getting flagged then someone wants to get off in Queens. 

people are getting flagged then someone wants to get off in Queens. 

That's a little overkill especially during off peak hours when the next bus could be a half hour away. I understand they need to teach the Queens people a lesson but flagging people to do that is crazy. If no one is at their stop they wanna get off at, tough shit, obviously don't stop the bus to let him off when its closed door. If someone flags the bus and some dick wants to run off, what are you gonna do? Most people who know how to play the system right won't even tell the driver to stop, they'll wait for it to get flagged down and run out the front. Unless they're legit idiots that don't know the policy, those guys will hit the button and all that, like I said though the people who know the game are people going to the major stops the bus will stop at anyways and they'll run out without saying a word.

That's a little overkill especially during off peak hours when the next bus could be a half hour away. I understand they need to teach the Queens people a lesson but flagging people to do that is crazy. If no one is at their stop they wanna get off at, tough shit, obviously don't stop the bus to let him off when its closed door. If someone flags the bus and some dick wants to run off, what are you gonna do? Most people who know how to play the system right won't even tell the driver to stop, they'll wait for it to get flagged down and run out the front. Unless they're legit idiots that don't know the policy, those guys will hit the button and all that, like I said though the people who know the game are people going to the major stops the bus will stop at anyways and they'll run out without saying a word.

You're right. However, I wasn't saying that the B/O was flagging people to teach anyone a lesson.

My point is that these people which have their own bus routes they can use(Q2,Q110 mostly) are taking up space in the bus to the point where people are genuinely getting flagged due to capacity issues. Their intention is to get off in Queens when legitimate passengers needing to go to Nassau are getting left at the stops waiting for the next bus, which usually is in 20 mins at the times I witness these occurrences.

It happens quiet often on weekend on n20 trip. When people try to get off Northern Blvd before city line, people press stop request, but when bus driver passes it's Queens pickup stop, somebody always accuse B/O you missed my stop. But bus drivers kindly told passenger we only pickup passenger going to Nassau. Depends on driver, "Next time use Q12 or MTA."

I also remember when I was on N24 Jamaica during LIB, one passenger got on at drop off stop at Queens, and LIB B/O told him we only drop off in Queens, but that nasty man refused to exit bus.

Ok just a curious question, How bad is NICE bus service... I've only ridden Suffolk County bus in LI for a few years, but how horrible is it. even on a scale of 1-10?

Most of NICE Riders and former LIB B/O says bus service is worst.

Even the new NICE Bus drivers has problem with Veolia because one of B/O at to memoriaze 36 bus routes.

Edited by FamousNYLover

It happens quiet often on weekend on n20 trip.

I also remember when I was on N24 Jamaica during LIB, one passenger got on at drop off stop at Queens, and LIB B/O told him we only drop off in Queens, but that nasty man refused to exit bus.

That's what happened on the N20, except the driver held up the bus and called the depot for the cops.

LIB drivers were probably told to avoid confronting people in situations like that. That's standard MTA safety training, drivers aren't even supposed to hold up the buses over fare disputes, just remind the guy of the fare once and move on. NICE obviously doesn't have that kind of policy and seems to be fine with drivers holding up the bus even when someone gets on at a dropoff stop in Queens but pays their fare. I have a bad feeling there's gonna be more driver assaults if NICE keeps enforcing the closed door rule like they're doing now. When MTA drivers hold up a bus or keep yelling at someone who doesn't pay the fare it often ends up with the driver getting hurt, and remember NICE has no driver shields. Veolia needs to start thinking about their drivers' safety like the MTA does, again not saying the closed door policy isn't needed but they're going OD with the enforcement.

B/O signals for them not to get on one way or another... they ignore the signal anyway.

Ok just a curious question, How bad is NICE bus service... I've only ridden Suffolk County bus in LI for a few years, but how horrible is it. even on a scale of 1-10?

It's not really any different from (MTA) service.  What pisses me off to this day are the waits.  Transfers might be easy to make but when you're going from the 25 to the 24 and your bus comes 30 minutes before the next one, and you have to do it for years on end, then you get angry.

Like I did.  I'm only stuck on them for the distant future because I don't have my own car.

B/O signals for them not to get on one way or another... they ignore the signal anyway.

It's not really any different from (MTA) service.  What pisses me off to this day are the waits.  Transfers might be easy to make but when you're going from the 25 to the 24 and your bus comes 30 minutes before the next one, and you have to do it for years on end, then you get angry.

Like I did.  I'm only stuck on them for the distant future because I don't have my own car.

n25 to LIRR try it.

4 cause I have taken worse systems than NICE. If you want bad try anything north of white plains. Dutchess county makes NICE look really NICE.

How does someone pay their fare when getting on westbound in Queens? Why would the B/O just watch someone dip their metrocard or pay in change, then tell them to get off the bus?

The guy gets on, the driver starts yelling but he dips his card anyways. Driver refused to move even after he paid, held up a pretty crowded bus and confused the shit out of everyone, then said he's getting the cops, picked up his radio and said "17whatever to base" and the guy called him a piece of shit and ran off.

TBH that was kinda a dick move to hold up those pax when the point of closed door is faster service and he paid his fare. Then to call base about it, Veolia must be getting very strict about it for them to actually feel comfortable calling the company and say they're holding up a bus over that BS.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I think lots of Queens riders aren't aware of NICE Bus's closed door policy.

Most riders on n4, n20, n21, n22 buses happens quiet often.

I remember when I was on n4X to Freeport from Jamaica Center, somebody got off at 130th Rd-Farmers Blvd.

I remember when I was on n20 Hicksville, someone wanted to get off in little before Nassau County, and nasty man didn't care about closed door policy.

If the drivers working the Queens routes would make an announcement when picking up at the first stop in Flushing or Jamaica(esp. at 169th & 179th St) as I always did,the problem of pass. trying to get off before Nassau would be less prevalent. I even had my own sign that said "no dropoffs in Queens" taped on top of the farebox.

If the drivers working the Queens routes would make an announcement when picking up at the first stop in Flushing or Jamaica(esp. at 169th & 179th St) as I always did,the problem of pass. trying to get off before Nassau would be less prevalent. I even had my own sign that said "no dropoffs in Queens" taped on top of the farebox.

It happened today on 13:40 n6 Hempstead #1653 on my way to my favorite copy place at Franklin Sq. One passenger got off at pickup only stop and male B/O told him, "Next time use Queens bus. We don't drop off passenger."

You mean like these at Jamaica Bus Terminal and n22/n24 Westbound pickup at 170th St.

10704164_734395263306892_406672377238079

Or onboard the NICE Bus/even former (MTA) LIB Days.

10675723_734854376594314_572432255624214

Edited by FamousNYLover

West bound, going into Queens, can't some drivers put up the Not in Service sign or Next Bus Please?

I don't think it will work. I think every time they see (MTA) Farebox, they board a bus until NICE Drivers tells them it's drop off only.

I remember I was ridding with Cindy the former Veolia NICE/MTA LIB/TWU Local 252 because she was deadheading to her n58 bus run from n21 trip she finished. She operate her bus as n58 Kings Point. When her bus pass stop along Northern Blvd, lots of passengers thought it was either n20/21 because passenger thought maybe sign was broken.