Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are Nassau bound buses from Queens always late?  Why do people have to wait 20-30 minutes for a bus to Freeport while Jamaica-bound buses run like clockwork?

n4 Freeport are constally late because of huge crowd during rush hour, sometimes n4 line could reach up to Q84 bay.

Even on not crowded n4 buses, n4 Freeport are late because passengers coming out of station flagging and depends on bus drivers, some drivers open when they see passenger running.

NICE made mistake on their detour because there's no n21 on weekend.

Edited by FamousNYLover

If I valued qjgarbagemaster's input, I wouldn't have to read his posts through quotes.

Anyway, Nassau's Operation Restore Our Roads seems to be a resounding success, and one of Nassau's few successes.  They're supposed to be repaving part of Merrick Road over these few weeks.

From where to where? Riding the n4 along there has been a huge annoyance.

If I valued qjgarbagemaster's input, I wouldn't have to read his posts through quotes.

Anyway, Nassau's Operation Restore Our Roads seems to be a resounding success, and one of Nassau's few successes.  They're supposed to be repaving part of Merrick Road over these few weeks.

ignoring the shit what part of merrick

I'm gonna have parrot Hound when I say NICE sucks.

Preaching to the choir.  I really wish I could say that there have been improvements in anything.  The same thing happens island-wide: buses get caught up and thrown off schedule, the waits are still godawful, people have no goddamn etiquette...

Back to NICE, the new NYS plates are being rolled out statewide and even NICE buses are getting the new plates.  SUNY school shuttles (if they have one) get them and I saw an NG with one on the n20.  I think the left side read "Nassau Intercounty Express" or something, but it was on the other side of NY 107 so I obviously couldn't get a better glance.

On Tuesday, October 21st, after canvassing at Hempstead Transit Center for NICE Bus, I took my first ride on 14:20 Trailway which departed Hempstead ontime at 15:25 and arrived New Rochelle ontime at 16:25. I was only one from Hempstead to Queens Village.

Back to NICE Bus, today, 17:35 n20L Flushing got caught in heavy traffic on Northern Blvd from The Locust to Great Neck Rd because of police present and possibly from Union Turnpike accident near n25 bus route caused bus to arrive Flushing at 19:36, about 30 minutes late.

If you call to complain about the service, they don't want to hear it.  They literally will make up excuses for why you shouldn't bother calling again.  And I've spoken to multiple people, so it appears management is telling NICE employees to just ignore caller's complaints/concerns.  Ridership continues to plummet.  They need to fire every single person who is working in that office (from the CEO down to the customer service agents) - don't even bother picking up the phone anymore since it's obvious you don't care.  Complete and total failure of an agency, from the CEO on down.

(1) Customer: Bus pulls away as LIRR train arrives, so all LIRR passengers miss bus.  Let bus wait 10 seconds since they run every 30 minutes.  NICE:  Wake up earlier & take an earlier LIRR train.  (Nooooo, 20 or 30 of us will walk and/or split a cab instead, so NICE loses the fares.)

(2) Customer: Bus left a minute ahead of schedule, so transferring passengers just missed bus.  NICE:  Your watch was wrong.  (Noooo, I set it according to the radio station so it's correct to the second.)

(3) Customer:  Bus driver was speeding, driving too slow, driving recklessly, unprofessional language, etc etc.  NICE:  They don't want to hear it.

(4) Customer: Jones Beach bus is short-turning at Central Bathhouse, and customers at East Bathhouse are waiting 90+ minutes for service back to Freeport.  Everyone is splitting cabs and/or hitchhiking (hundreds of passengers are stranded!!)  NICE:  Let's keep running empty N87 buses to Hicksville - we don't care we're stranding hundreds of passengers at Jones Beach.

Edited by RtrainBlues

I've become a victim of buses leaving early now.  I'm beginning to see why dispatchers stay inside the office and avoid Mineola or Hempstead.  The n87 case is just inexcusable.  They do all this shortcutting, turning the air assist off, pulling up bus lengths short of the stop, leave early... and for what?  They'll get held up and late for the same reasons and while the list is non-exhaustive, I'm tired of typing it all.  Sure, gas and insurance are mile high here, but I sure don't see any less cars on the road than I used to as a child.

I had to write another complaint to NICE yesterday because one of their B/O's felt it was unnecessary to pick up waiting passengers , people have places(especially jobs) to go to.

I always report via email b/c I have all direct email to Veolia and NCBTC. To get them attention, I put SOS or other wise they don't listen.

Edited by FamousNYLover

They really couldn't care less.  The n36 thing was an easily fixable error; I think they just delete messages about the crappy service en masse.

Your signs at Hicksville are gone, by the way.  I don't think anyone went to those meetings.  LIBRU has done NOTHING and it takes every fiber of my being to not laugh on sight of any of their posters.

I always report via email b/c I have all direct email to Veolia and NCBTC. To get them attention, I put SOS or other wise they don't listen.

How are you sure that you've got their attention?

They really couldn't care less.  The n36 thing was an easily fixable error; I think they just delete messages about the crappy service en masse.

Your signs at Hicksville are gone, by the way.  I don't think anyone went to those meetings.  LIBRU has done NOTHING and it takes every fiber of my being to not laugh on sight of any of their posters.

LIBRU sucks, complaining about petty things like announcements being on and everything else that carried over from LIB, where were they then? 

I have the most basic requirements for NICE, pick me up and take me to/from the Subway, and they repeatedly botch that up.

I know I can't always expect to be picked up by the first bus I see, but when missing any bus can easy turn into a cascading nightmare, it becomes a necessity.

One weekday morning waiting for the N6 to Jamaica on 10 minute headway, the first bus was "full" so he didn't stop, the second bus operator blatantly didn't stop even though there was standing room and empty seats! The third bus which actually stopped to pick us up arrived over 30 mins after arriving at the stop. If the first bus had picked us up, I would have already been on the (F) train, probably by Union Turnpike.

One morning I and other passengers were flagged by 3 buses, while the N6x goes by with room to spare.

So you see, it's not as simple as "leave earlier" or "catch the next bus" when things like that happen regularly.

Edited by N6 Limited

How are you sure that you've got their attention?

LIBRU sucks, complaining about petty things like announcements being on and everything else that carried over from LIB, where were they then? 

I have the most basic requirements for NICE, pick me up and take me to/from the Subway, and they repeatedly botch that up.

I know I can't always expect to be picked up by the first bus I see, but when missing any bus can easy turn into a cascading nightmare, it becomes a necessity.

One weekday morning waiting for the N6 to Jamaica on 10 minute headway, the first bus was "full" so he didn't stop, the second bus operator blatantly didn't stop even though there was standing room and empty seats! The third bus which actually stopped to pick us up arrived over 30 mins after arriving at the stop. If the first bus had picked us up, I would have already been on the (F) train, probably by Union Turnpike.

One morning I and other passengers were flagged by 3 buses, while the N6x goes by with room to spare.

So you see, it's not as simple as "leave earlier" or "catch the next bus" when things like that happen regularly.

I don't mention LIBRU on NICEBus's email.

FOr instanst, when I reported my situation on n20 on my way to Circus Protest in Middle Island via NICE Bus/Suffolk County, I reported both to NICE Bus and Nassau County Mangano who took seriously.

I don't mention LIBRU on NICEBus's email.

FOr instanst, when I reported my situation on n20 on my way to Circus Protest in Middle Island via NICE Bus/Suffolk County, I reported both to NICE Bus and Nassau County Mangano who took seriously.

Bold to Italics: You NEVER put that in the same sentence. If you think they took that seriously, we have a bridge to sell to you. LIBRU doesn't help (makes it worse, if you ask me).