Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my female bus driver friend who does n51 bus on Monday roundtrip, n23 roundtrip W-Fri, Sat n15 morning, Sun n43/19 bus, she told me reason why n27 Glen Cove bus stop at Glen Cove Rd/Northern Blvd was moved because of Red Light Camera.

It doesn't really matter since both the n20 and n27 rarely connect at that stop. I found it much easier to get off at Roslyn LIRR and walk to the Clock Tower to make the transfer.

Seems as though every NG and 3G is in the process of being upgraded or has received the upgrades to the Clever Devices.  What was the point, though?

What do you mean whats the point? Are they scrapping them soon or something? Also I'm a little behind on rolling stock, I know of the Orion V CNG's and the low floor buses. Whats the difference between the NG and 3G?

I have a question relating to LIB service from 2008 or 2009.

I watched one of Pine Powers videos from when LIB NYCT and MTA bus were streamlined and he was talking about an experience he had on the N20 or N21. He mentioned how since things were streamlined the three should be able to swap and barrow equipment when needed.

At the time (2009) was Long Island Bus able to borrow equipment from MTA bus(Orion V CNG's)? If a N20 and or N21 was to break down at Flushing could College Point give the LIB driver a bus to borrow so he or she can finish their runs and it stays at a Long Island Bus depot until College Points tows and fixes up the broke down LIB

I can't really see the driver to having to wait for another bus to come all the way from Nassau to Flushing. This is especially due to the fact College Point maintained the same buses and they are really close.

BTW before somebody comes out of nowhere and says oh NICE can't do that because they are a different company read first because I'm talking about back in 2009.

I watched one of Pine Powers videos from when LIB NYCT and MTA bus were streamlined and he was talking about an experience he had on the N20 or N21. He mentioned how since things were streamlined the three should be able to swap and barrow equipment when needed.

At the time (2009) was Long Island Bus able to borrow equipment from MTA bus(Orion V CNG's)? If a N20 and or N21 was to break down at Flushing could College Point give the LIB driver a bus to borrow so he or she can finish their runs and it stays at a Long Island Bus depot until College Points tows and fixes up the broke down LIB

I can't really see the driver to having to wait for another bus to come all the way from Nassau to Flushing. This is especially due to the fact College Point maintained the same buses and they are really close.

BTW before somebody comes out of nowhere and says oh NICE can't do that because they are a different company read first because I'm talking about back in 2009.

The swap & borrow setup was because Nassau County sent a bunch of V and VII NG CNGs down to Grand Ave, Eastchester, Zerega and CP for work. Service wasn't that much different or streamlined for that matter. Buses were more operational and such, but they still had service issues. For example, LIB had an accident with one of the MTA V CNGs, as one backed up/ran into the rear of MTA 9827.

Yesterday, on my way to MTA Public Hearing at Hilton Long Island in Melville via NICE Bus, there was NASTY and RUDE MALE DRIVER on 15:30 n72 Babylon almost refuse to give me transfer to S1 Halesite bus because he first they SCT transfer is in MetroCard, but SCT don't take MetroCard! I was originally planning to take 15:15 n70 Melville-Newsday to Farmingdale State College for S110-Suffolk Clipper, but 15:15 n70 left 5 minutes early while I was uncomfortably using you-know-what! But he gave me transfer but he told me it wouldn't work on their facebook. NOT TRUE. MTA Paper transfer from NICE Bus, passengers handed to SCT, HART or Long Beach N69 bus driver, not on their farebox.

I had to fix my speech at Hilton Long Island's public computer before I went into testify.

It was mostly 4-6 people at hearing.

Edited by FamousNYLover

This is different than buses being sent to to aleviate the mess of an equipment shortage due to over half of MTA LIB's fleet failing a DOT inspection ( a simple safety check to make sure buses are road worthy) because of MTA LIB's maintenence (all of these buses were inherited by NICE to suffer long term maintenence problems with excerpt for buses 1840-1845, the only 45 buses exclusively used by NICE) or buses being replace due to accidents.

Around the time of the video you referenced some officials had proposed a regional transportation system. Under this prosody plan more services, equipment, and routes amoung agencies and depots. One of the benefits would be let's say a N4 bus broke down in queens an MTA depot in queens could send a replacement bus (since the depots would be sharing a fleet and theoretically some N4 trips could be covered by that depot in queens).

The swap & borrow setup was because Nassau County sent a bunch of V and VII NG CNGs down to Grand Ave, Eastchester, Zerega and CP for work. Service wasn't that much different or streamlined for that matter. Buses were more operational and such, but they still had service issues. For example, LIB had an accident with one of the MTA V CNGs, as one backed up/ran into the rear of MTA 9827.

Is that bus still running around with the LIB back? For those who don't know or remember or know LIB just slapped the back of an old V on 9287.

That was well after Pinepower's video, when LIB was short equipment.  I can't believe how bad shit turned once drivers started quitting.

Are you talking about people retiring or quitting? How many and in how long of a time? I have a hard time believing drivers who are making $65,000 a year without over time are quitting when they won't even be able to find a job making $15/hr! Unless they just quit without knowing how bad it is out there making and won't be making half of what they are now!