Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Just one lonely bus in the depot?

No I just passed by there it's more nice buses parked in the yard now. During the course of the day it varies that side will be empty at times and other times be mid to all the way full.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah and Nice Bus is going to destroy those Orion V CNG's they get from Foothill Transit. Too bad Nassau doesn't pay up more to run the bus system. The county can really benefit from better transportation. New buses breaking down more than the old one. The 1700s were always breaking down since they first came. I can't understand meow buses that are 2 and 3 year old 1800s already perform worst than the MTAs 1996 RTS which are 18 years old. There is really something wrong with that and I'm surprised people haven't ditched NICE once and for all. Most of the time when I travel either to Flushing or Jamaica I see a NICE bus out of service and being towed usually an Orion VII NG or 3G. Nassau really needs to pay up and improve service a lot.

I wonder how long before these buses will be in service?  How long does it take to reprogram the signs?  Is it like computer software they download with the routes?  I wonder if they will be leasing fareboxes from the (MTA) or do they have 25 on hand from scrapped buses?

They have to install fareboxes,radios & reprogram signs. They also have to block off Foothill identification-probably with decals. They will also have to get DOT inspected & registered.

They have to install fareboxes,radios & reprogram signs. They also have to block off Foothill identification-probably with decals. They will also have to get DOT inspected & registered.

I bet half of Foothill's buses that are over a decade old won't fail the DOT inspection...

So it really is happening. Wonder what their new numbers will be.

Unless Foothill decided to spend a crazy amount of money to ship their retired buses across the country and scrap them in NICE's lot this is happening!  Pics are on the previous page.

Yeah and Nice Bus is going to destroy those Orion V CNG's they get from Foothill Transit. Too bad Nassau doesn't pay up more to run the bus system. The county can really benefit from better transportation. New buses breaking down more than the old one. The 1700s were always breaking down since they first came. I can't understand meow buses that are 2 and 3 year old 1800s already perform worst than the MTAs 1996 RTS which are 18 years old. There is really something wrong with that and I'm surprised people haven't ditched NICE once and for all. Most of the time when I travel either to Flushing or Jamaica I see a NICE bus out of service and being towed usually an Orion VII NG or 3G. Nassau really needs to pay up and improve service a lot.

I actually think the opposite will happen and NICE is going to baby these buses, NICE could have leased/borrowed/bought retired buses from the MTA, why wouldn't they?  They wouldn't have to ship them across the country.  Watch, in a year Setzer will be at a community meeting showing statistics of how much better these foothill transit buses compared to how NICE/LIB V's are performing, the difference being the buses the inherited from LIB were junk ie LIB's maintenance was the problem not NICE's.

their destination is either too far from any LIRR station or they are too broke to just leave to nyc or use LIRR and actually get to places important.

In "NICE can do no wrong mode" again?  1817 had a fist-sized hole in the roof above the rear middle seat and beeped the entire way I was on it.  On the way out, a 2003 Orion V CNG was on a tow truck on Glen Cove Road.  If I wasn't on an LIRR train going ~60 MPH just as the bus went under the overpass, I could have gotten a look at the number on the roof.  This system is absolute shit and I love how they've completely lost all the steam they had going in 2012.  Where are the ridership figures?

In "NICE can do no wrong mode" again?  1817 had a fist-sized hole in the roof above the rear middle seat and beeped the entire way I was on it.  On the way out, a 2003 Orion V CNG was on a tow truck on Glen Cove Road.  If I wasn't on an LIRR train going ~60 MPH just as the bus went under the overpass, I could have gotten a look at the number on the roof.  This system is absolute shit and I love how they've completely lost all the steam they had going in 2012.  Where are the ridership figures?

Newsday reported 4 months ago, the daily average ridership drop almost half since the take over. 101,000+ in 2011 down to 60,000 in 2014. http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/nice-bus-gomobile-app-downloaded-6-700-times-in-two-months-officials-say-1.8993784#

NICE indeed.

Edited by w8Hou

I found updated Nassau Hub Study that improving NICE Bus.

http://www.nassauhub.com/default.htm

I don't trust the alternatives that the study has provided so far. Most of the alternative suggested run pararell to existing NICE routes in the area. What the Nassau Hub needs is better connections and to restructure exisitng routes.

LOL Streetcar in Nassau County??? But that means more taxes!!!

Ed Mangano is too cheap to even pay for the basic bus services; what makes you think he is going to allow an expensive streetcar operation?

He'll just get a private transportation company to run the streetcars for less money around the hub.

Newsday reported 4 months ago, the daily average ridership drop almost half since the take over. 101,000+ in 2011 down to 60,000 in 2014. http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/nice-bus-gomobile-app-downloaded-6-700-times-in-two-months-officials-say-1.8993784#

NICE indeed.

LOL, not surprised. You can easily see it by looking at any bus in service. Did they really think that there were no choice riders?

Does Foothill use Clever Devices? If they're not in the bus those will have to be put in as well, then the MTA farebox, orange paintjob, etc.

I doubt they'll be painting or wrapping "borrowed" buses that will be around for a year or two...  They didn't paint or wrap any of the V's that have been in the NICE system longer than these foothill buses are planned to be. I wonder if they'll just stick the NICE decals on the foothill transit buses?  It's my opinion that they should've painted an orange & blue NICE stripe on the buses that that wouldn't be wrapped or painted.  

Speaking of paint, since buses are from SoCal and never seen snow or road salt the paint looks great!  Just like if you see a car from Florida or something the paint will look brighter and newer than the same year car from NY.

I doubt they'll be painting or wrapping "borrowed" buses that will be around for a year or two...  They didn't paint or wrap any of the V's that have been in the NICE system longer than these foothill buses are planned to be. I wonder if they'll just stick the NICE decals on the foothill transit buses?  It's my opinion that they should've painted an orange & blue NICE stripe on the buses that that wouldn't be wrapped or painted.  

Speaking of paint, since buses are from SoCal and never seen snow or road salt the paint looks great!  Just like if you see a car from Florida or something the paint will look brighter and newer than the same year car from NY.

Maybe they should just block off thil in Foothill. That would be a more appropriate name.

I doubt they'll be painting or wrapping "borrowed" buses that will be around for a year or two...  They didn't paint or wrap any of the V's that have been in the NICE system longer than these foothill buses are planned to be. 

That's because they were already in the colors of Nassau County.

LOL Streetcar in Nassau County??? But that means more taxes!!!

Ed Mangano is too cheap to even pay for the basic bus services; what makes you think he is going to allow an expensive streetcar operation?

Nassau Hub Study even involves BRT, Lightrail or commuter feeder bus.

According to study BRT and Streetcar will be same fare as NICE Bus.