Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

So a quick summary from a Newsday article a couple days ago (I don't think it was posted here):

• Budget shortfall: $5.5 million
  • No fare hike: -$800,000
  • MetroCard hike: +$600,000
  • All fare hike: $2 million

So the fare hike that was just approved fills only 11% of the budget shortfall. Not sure what level of service cuts amount to $4.9 million...the 2012 budget shortfall was around $7.3 million but the service cuts were only part of closing that.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
January 23, 2015 by ALFONSO A. CASTILLO / alfonso.castillo@newsday.com

More than 100,000 Nassau bus riders could be hit with another fare hike this year -- and still face potentially steep service cuts -- as NICE looks for ways to close a $5.5 million budget shortfall with no additional aid from the state, the agency's chief said Friday.

A day after the Metropolitan Transportation Authority approved raising the cost of a bus or subway ride from $2.50 to $2.75, Nassau Inter County Express CEO Michael Setzer said the agency's governing body will consider its own 25-cent hike next week.

The Nassau Bus Transit Committee will hold two public hearings on Thursday to consider fare hike options, which have not been finalized by NICE.

Setzer said some kind of increase in the base fare may be necessary. NICE stands to lose $800,000 if it keeps MetroCard rates stable, he said, because the MTA, while approving the higher fare, also increased discounts for riders based on how much they spend on the cards.

But only increasing the cost of a MetroCard ride to $2.75, while keeping cash fares at $2.50, would generate just an extra $600,000 for NICE -- a small fraction of the $5.5 million in added costs that the agency is facing because of contractual union raises, and rising employee medical and bus maintenance costs.

Raising fares a quarter for all of NICE's 105,000 riders would bring in about $2 million more a year, the agency said.

In a bipartisan agreement last year, the Nassau legislature vowed not to raise fares in 2015 for cash customers, who were just hit with a 25-cent increase in September. Setzer said lawmakers may need to go back on that promise.

"I think that may have to be reconsidered," said Setzer, who noted that even with an across-the-board fare increase, NICE will still have a budget gap of about $3 million that will require additional government aid to fill. In his proposed state budget Wednesday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo offered no additional funding for NICE.

"The end of the story is that if none of these things happen, it comes out of service," said Setzer, noting that filling NICE's budget gap without additional aid would require service cuts more "painful" than any the agency has made since taking over Nassau's bus system from the MTA three years ago. "This wouldn't be 20 minutes goes to 30 minutes. This would probably be whole routes [being eliminated]."

Aaron-Watkins Lopez, organizer for the Long Island Bus Riders Union, a nonprofit NICE customers' advocacy group, called the agency's latest fiscal dilemma "ludicrous," and evidence that Nassau County and NICE's parent company, Transdev, are not equipped to operate the county bus system.

"It's very apparent that whatever they're doing is not working," Watkins-Lopez said. "Every time they feel like, 'We messed up,' they go and dip into the piggy bank, which is the pockets of Nassau's most vulnerable population."

My sides.

Edited by Joel Up Front

But Mangano promised Veolia would do the same job as the MTA or more for $2 million a year!

Technically they have

I never held the (MTA) to that high a standard.  I thought that they'd do a better job while asking for less... how far from the truth that's come to be!

They have, MTA would have cut 50% of routes

Not talking in terms of level of service, but in terms of quality...

You are too much! What do you consider quality? The system is not a skeleton system, NICE has proven to do more per dollar than the (MTA) you already know the riders would be better off with NICE than the (MTA) given proper funding. LIB sucked anyway! LIB: Quality!?! BWHAHAHA BWHAHAHA BWAHAHAHA BWAHAHAHA Thats the funniest thing I've head all month!!!

You are too much! What do you consider quality? The system is not a skeleton system, NICE has proven to do more per dollar than the (MTA) you already know the riders would be better off with NICE than the (MTA) given proper funding. LIB sucked anyway! LIB: Quality!?! BWHAHAHA BWHAHAHA BWAHAHAHA BWAHAHAHA Thats the funniest thing I've head all month!!!

You're trying this hard?  That's even more laughable than the service NICE provides.  It's okay, though, continue channeling your anguish through trying to volunteer for Veolia/Transdev when you know they're awful.  I love how I can make a valid statement that can become, by your ever-infinite wisdom and knowledge, invalid because it contains one criticism about the bus service here.  Everything is true - OTP is nonexistent at best, riders are even more dissatisfied (hard to achieve, and guess what: they did it!  Maybe that's one thing you can chalk up to God's Chosen Transit Company!), even these 3-year-old buses are dirty and are in dire need of maintentance, and Mango literaly could not give two shits about anyone forced to use the system.  What money is there to be saved by taxpayers if he's going to make everything else more pricey?  If NICE was "quality," why has ridership dropped by almost half?  Why are even more buses late or missing on a regular basis?  Why haven't they shown PROOF that ridership has gone up?  They sure had something going in 2012 and then there was nothing more - low employee morale/high turnover, lower ridership, and the dispatchers?  I feel for them more - they know that it's gone downhill.  Every time someone else brings this up, you (the parrot) just repeat the same shit after the same shit. 

And I literally could never tire of this because laughing at your denial sure warms my heart.

Blah blah blah my statements are valid don't throw a tantrum because some isn't wearing your shit colored glasses. Why the campaigning for the useless and overprice MTA? You wouldn't be posting this for free, because it's you're opinion, you wouldn't be volunteering your time kissing a useless state agenciys ass would you? That would make you a hypocrite!

Why do you care, I thought you finally passed your road test and were using a car.,.?

...and I post the same stuff? Have you looked at what you post?

Save your time posting a response, I really couldn't give a crapnwhat you have to say! Further more I don't want to waste my time communicating who simply can't understand that given a better funded system Transdev is better to run it over the MTA for the riders and the tax payers!

You're trying this hard?  That's even more laughable than the service NICE provides.  It's okay, though, continue channeling your anguish through trying to volunteer for Veolia/Transdev when you know they're awful.  I love how I can make a valid statement that can become, by your ever-infinite wisdom and knowledge, invalid because it contains one criticism about the bus service here.  Everything is true - OTP is nonexistent at best, riders are even more dissatisfied (hard to achieve, and guess what: they did it!  Maybe that's one thing you can chalk up to God's Chosen Transit Company!), even these 3-year-old buses are dirty and are in dire need of maintentance, and Mango literaly could not give two shits about anyone forced to use the system.  What money is there to be saved by taxpayers if he's going to make everything else more pricey?  If NICE was "quality," why has ridership dropped by almost half?  Why are even more buses late or missing on a regular basis?  Why haven't they shown PROOF that ridership has gone up?  They sure had something going in 2012 and then there was nothing more - low employee morale/high turnover, lower ridership, and the dispatchers?  I feel for them more - they know that it's gone downhill.  Every time someone else brings this up, you (the parrot) just repeat the same shit after the same shit. 

And I literally could never tire of this because laughing at your denial sure warms my heart.

NICE sucks!

Blah blah blah my statements are valid don't throw a tantrum because some isn't wearing your shit colored glasses. Why the campaigning for the useless and overprice MTA? You wouldn't be posting this for free, because it's you're opinion, you wouldn't be volunteering your time kissing a useless state agenciys ass would you? That would make you a hypocrite!

Why do you care, I thought you finally passed your road test and were using a car.,.?

...and I post the same stuff? Have you looked at what you post?

Save your time posting a response, I really couldn't give a crapnwhat you have to say! Further more I don't want to waste my time communicating who simply can't understand that given a better funded system Transdev is better to run it over the MTA for the riders and the tax payers!

Come on Ralph-I thought by now, even you realized that NICE sucks.

NICE sucks!

Come on Ralph-I thought by now, even you realized that NICE sucks.

you suck too. Broken record. There is a reason why I avoid absurdly long routes like n22&4. But admittedly the crap with n6x & n27/23 fiasco did hurt ridership considerably.

You're trying this hard? That's even more laughable than the service NICE provides. It's okay, though, continue channeling your anguish through trying to volunteer for Veolia/Transdev when you know they're awful. I love how I can make a valid statement that can become, by your ever-infinite wisdom and knowledge, invalid because it contains one criticism about the bus service here. Everything is true - OTP is nonexistent at best, riders are even more dissatisfied (hard to achieve, and guess what: they did it! Maybe that's one thing you can chalk up to God's Chosen Transit Company!), even these 3-year-old buses are dirty and are in dire need of maintentance, and Mango literaly could not give two shits about anyone forced to use the system. What money is there to be saved by taxpayers if he's going to make everything else more pricey? If NICE was "quality," why has ridership dropped by almost half? Why are even more buses late or missing on a regular basis? Why haven't they shown PROOF that ridership has gone up? They sure had something going in 2012 and then there was nothing more - low employee morale/high turnover, lower ridership, and the dispatchers? I feel for them more - they know that it's gone downhill. Every time someone else brings this up, you (the parrot) just repeat the same shit after the same shit.

OTP huh at least it's on-time every time I use it lol then again that happens to me a lot in general not just NICE.

...and I post the same stuff?

Same thing, isn't it?

And what about you?  Surely, things are golden on the other side of the island.  You have a CDL as well, so surely you'd have something better to do than respond to literally every post about NICE here.  You don't have to know jack shit more about my life than whatever I've posted here, how about that?  Someone has an opinion different than yours!  Welcome to the real world.

Edited by Joel Up Front

Same thing, isn't it?

And what about you?  Surely, things are golden on the other side of the island.  You have a CDL as well, so surely you'd have something better to do than respond to literally every post about NICE here.  You don't have to know jack shit more about my life than whatever I've posted here, how about that?  Someone has an opinion different than yours!  Welcome to the real world.

The only opinion that matters is mine, I'm never wrong, & I always win! Welcome to my world!

Same thing, isn't it?

And what about you? Surely, things are golden on the other side of the island. You have a CDL as well, so surely you'd have something better to do than respond to literally every post about NICE here. You don't have to know jack shit more about my life than whatever I've posted here, how about that? Someone has an opinion different than yours! Welcome to the real world.

keyword opinion not fact.

you suck too. Broken record. There is a reason why I avoid absurdly long routes like n22&4. But admittedly the crap with n6x & n27/23 fiasco did hurt ridership considerably.

OTP huh at least it's on-time every time I use it lol then again that happens to me a lot in general not just NICE.

NICE sucks.