Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Anyone else see this? (Read the video description)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL8QxsJhHRw

It also happened last year too when I was with 13:27 n20 Flushing from Hicksville and he didn't hear but there was n20 detour on radio I heard, and after he left Great Neck Station, then after he turned onto Northern Blvd, dispatcher said there was detour and he had to make illegal U-turn get to Lakeville Rd for detour,  then up Little Neck Parkway back.

I also reported to organizer of Little Neck-Douglaston Memorial Day Parade because maybe he might inform detour information for n20 bus to MTA because many of people are not aware MTA don't operate Long Island Bus anymore.

Edited by FamousNYLover

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, new member here, and my car engine finally went and I can't afford a new car so I just started to use the n20, Monday ( Memorial Day) was the first day I used it and what a experience I had, I waited over a hour and a half for a bus in flushing and when bus driver came

I asked him for a schedule, & he did not have one and I pointed out to him there should be times posted on the bus pole, mta posts times on the pole. Also one nice young lady wanted to get off at Bell blvd and Northern blvd she kept yelling back door and she ran to the front & the driver just took off, he wouldn't let her off about 80 plus people on the bus we all

Said open door so lady can exit and we all felt bad and tried to tell

The driver to stop & he wouldn't and he wouldn't even talk to us , I felt bad for this lady she missed her connecting bus to Jamaica. Lucky me

I got off in great neck, if he refused to open the door

For me I would be upset, this was my 1st time

On the N20, Would anybody have any schedules on this bus? I asked people

On the bus for a time it comes and they all told me

It comes when it wants, thanks.

Welcome aboard, John from Flushing.

NICE bus has strickly policy for Queens riders, and eastbound NICE Bus do not drop off passengers in Queens excluding n31/32/33 buses in Far Rockaway, while n33 bus don't provide service within City of Long Beach like similar to MTA's Premier Express Bus Policy.

Most of Queens riders know they cannot board NICE Bus but they choose to be sneaky and pretend to go to Nassau County.

Sometimes few new people gets confuse with n20 and Q20, Q4 and n4, Q6 and n6.

NICE Bus schedules can be found at their bus depot, Mitchel Field Depot during business hours at 700 Commercial Av.

Most of people don't have schedule or don't want schedule. Some riders has very old schedules.

Go for PDF schedule. I go to Flushing sometimes to check to make sure last buses shows up. Lots of passengers get upset when last bus doesn't show up.

NICE Bus doesn't have permit to put schedules at bus stop.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Hi, thanks for the kind welcome words, so far this is my 3rd time taking this "nice bus" and it

Really isn't so nice, I wish I still had my car, the wait times are very long on Roosevelt ave. people we're upset a gentleman older told

Me he's been waiting one hour. This "nice bus" stunk really bad. In the back it had that kind of smell a homeless person leaves behind and the ac was on ice cold we all asked to lower ac and turn heat on driver said bring a sweater out buses are always ice cold

In summer time so that is good to know and

The engine made very loud noises and when driver gave gas it got loud in my opinion the bus sounded like it's on it's last days and also bus was very dirty with fast food potato chips and soda containers on floor also two seats in front nobody could sit bc there was old

Bubble gum on it & back door did not work so we all had

To exit in front door so far I am not pleased with this "nice bus" We need new buses soon and shorter lines on Roosevelt avenue

Just read on Newsday website, Nice bus company is getting rid of jones beach bus, I don't think this is right, many people rely on bus to get from Freeport to concerts in jones beach, how people wont go to shows and concerts and the concerts will be empty, I hope the concerts don't leave jones beach now.

Just read on Newsday website, Nice bus company is getting rid of jones beach bus, I don't think this is right, many people rely on bus to get from Freeport to concerts in jones beach, how people wont go to shows and concerts and the concerts will be empty, I hope the concerts don't leave jones beach now.

They not going to get rid of n88. They just got get rid of concert service n88. Taxi Latino says taxi is about $16+ tips.

They got rid of n87 Hicksville-Wantagh-Freeport-Jones Beach bus.

Edited by FamousNYLover

I took N20 Bus to great neck to visit my Grandmother, & the nice bus sounded bad, and struggled to get speed, felt like we were going slow, even q12 bus past us, People on bus yelling at driver to speed it up & he said "Your lucky you have a bus to ride" and he was laughing. Not NICE

I have question, My Grandmother is in a wheelchair, When I had a car I used to drive her to flushing to visit family, Now she wants to visit us in Flushing, no one else in family has a car, I do not know NICE bus rules, does Nice bus pick up wheelchair customer in bus stop? I know Mta does, I wish q12 went to great neck this would make my communite easier, and faster q12 runs every 10 minutes or less & N20 is very limited serice sometimes one hour wait, not acceptable, thank you readers for the help.

I took N20 Bus to great neck to visit my Grandmother, & the nice bus sounded bad, and struggled to get speed, felt like we were going slow, even q12 bus past us, People on bus yelling at driver to speed it up & he said "Your lucky you have a bus to ride" and he was laughing. Not NICE

I have question, My Grandmother is in a wheelchair, When I had a car I used to drive her to flushing to visit family, Now she wants to visit us in Flushing, no one else in family has a car, I do not know NICE bus rules, does Nice bus pick up wheelchair customer in bus stop? I know Mta does, I wish q12 went to great neck this would make my communite easier, and faster q12 runs every 10 minutes or less & N20 is very limited serice sometimes one hour wait, not acceptable, thank you readers for the help.

As long as she is in the bus stop, they must stop for her and pick her up

NICE Bus does pickup wheelchair passengers at bus stop, but only n57 Great Neck Loop bus doesn't have bus stops since it goes different direction during AM and PM Hours.

Remember they could be possible, wheelchair lift or ramp may not be working, so she might have to wait for bus. Most of NICE Bus passengers don't let wheelchair passenger first. Nice friendly male driver on 4:30pm n51 Roosevelt Field told me buses from California may not have lift working.

I'm sure Able-Ride will go to Flushing since it's 3/4 mile of fixed-route bus. Able-Re cost $3.75 one way trip and personal care attendant is free.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Hi thanks for the friendly reply, why would nice bus run buses knowing the wheelchair lift doesn't work? I always thought lifts have to work at all times, what bus from California are u talking about? I'm new trying to learn more about this nice bus since I take it often

Thanks!

Sometimes ramp/lift broke during passenger service due to lack of maintence.

Only just little mention but not too much.

I know I not suppose to mention , but one of totally legal blind LIBRU member in wheelchair cannot get to our meeting or NICE Bus meeting because his Able-Ride paratransit don't show up at all.

One of wheelchair passenger got stuck on onboard the bus, because it broke during the passenger service and bus driver helped wheelchair passenger get off the bus without lift/ramp.

https://longislandbusridersunion.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/unreliable-and-inaccessible-new-7-26-122.pdf

https://lijwj.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/bru-ada-report-edit-draft-10-22-13.pdf

https://longislandbusridersunion.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/li-bru-report-3-11-13-final.pdf

Ex-Foothill Transit Bus can seen passenger service on NICE Bus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassau_Inter-County_Express#Future_Fleet

Edited by FamousNYLover

Today older woman got on n20 bus on Roosevelt ave she mistook n20 bus for q12 because of white & blue bus, I told her this is a nice bus & she had no idea n20 bus is a private line bus now, she wanted to get off on northern blvd the stop before francis Louis bvld myself and 3 other younger people told driver to let this lady off she said it is a honest mistake and the driver wouldn't do her a small favor he was keep saying no I will not open door she had to get off city line, when bus stopped at bell blvd to pick up passengers the older lady tried to exit but driver closed door very fast and put foot on gas, cmon this lady made a mistake got on wrong bus she was upset she wants to call the nice hotline does anybody know the nice bus complain dept hotline? this older lady could have been the bus driver mother or grandmother, I know there are rules but sometimes bus drivers should close one eye and do a favor for older passengers.

Today older woman got on n20 bus on Roosevelt ave she mistook n20 bus for q12 because of white & blue bus, I told her this is a nice bus & she had no idea n20 bus is a private line bus now, she wanted to get off on northern blvd the stop before francis Louis bvld myself and 3 other younger people told driver to let this lady off she said it is a honest mistake and the driver wouldn't do her a small favor he was keep saying no I will not open door she had to get off city line, when bus stopped at bell blvd to pick up passengers the older lady tried to exit but driver closed door very fast and put foot on gas, cmon this lady made a mistake got on wrong bus she was upset she wants to call the nice hotline does anybody know the nice bus complain dept hotline? this older lady could have been the bus driver mother or grandmother, I know there are rules but sometimes bus drivers should close one eye and do a favor for older passengers.

They're probably told to do this because they have to deal with this "mistake" every day. The only way to teach people a lesson is to drop them off at the first stop in Nassau County. I'll bet you she'll look next time. 

Thanks for the helpful info, When does the long island bus union have its next membership meeting? I would like to attend one day & learn helpful information.

Can you sent me PM since this forum don't allow LIBRU information too much which was awarded by Vision Long Island's Growth Award for their wonderful work.

We meet mostly on Tuesday and this Tuesday, June 30th at Ethnical Humanist Society of 38 Old Country Rd/10th Av from 6:00 to 7:30pm.

To get from Flushing, take n20 (Local), n20L Limited (rush hour trip to/from Hicksville are mostly limited, which skips Great Neck Station and Roslyn Village except for Locust and n21 Glen Cove to the LOCUST, then transfer to n23 Mineola bus.

We have some new members, Blind Vegetarian from Pt. Washington who volunteers there and Life Worc and Vegan Living Program via NICE Bus Able-Ride and Fixed-Route and, other Queens resident, former MTA Long Island Bus Mechanic.

Back to NICE Bus topic, LIRR Ticket Agent made mistake and give me Senior Ticket to Westbury, which I didn't realize until I got on train. Since Ronkonhoma Train and I told second conductor about this and she said that's OK, I took to Hicksville Station to catch n22 Jamaica to Union Av/Grand Blvd for Central Americana Taxi, sharing with nice man going to different place and I took it to ribbon cutting ceremony at Amber Court. Since it was only $5, I give driver $1 tip.

I think I had orange vest, maybe they made mistake with LIRR employee.

I wasn't show who was Long Island Flashmob organizer, and I saw folk with camera and I asked him if he was Bryant and he said yes, and I gave him my waiver form.

This Amber Court Living was full of seniors, elderly and disabled folks here.

I pretend to be tourists taking picture inside and outside and then we rehearsal.

Around 12pm after cutting Ribbon Ceremony, we started "All Stars" dance which everyone love it.

Then we danced again by the table where seniors, elderly and disabled residents were having lunch there and one of elderly man with walker joined in fun and dance slowly, which made me and everyone smile.

After that, organizer of LI Flashmob gave all their participants $10 for participating in flashmob. Then I ask receptionist if she could call Central Americana Taxi and she said yes. Then she call back again few minutes later and taxi came and he drop me off at Maple Av/Post Av and I gave him $1 tip for $5 ride, then 13:05 n35 Baldwin Harbor #1809 came onetime at 13:08, then got off at Roosevelt Field onetime at 13:25. There were almost fight between beer lady and sleeping man on back, but there wasn't. Some passengers got off at BJ Club because they couldn't handle crazy beer lady.

Rest of passenger ignored.

Edited by FamousNYLover

They're probably told to do this because they have to deal with this "mistake" every day. The only way to teach people a lesson is to drop them off at the first stop in Nassau County. I'll bet you she'll look next time. 

Another time, when I helped older Chinese elderly lady with shopping cart boarded n20 eastbound at Sanford Av, and she was only getting off few blocks which driver and I forgot to ask where she was getting off, but driver let her off because she was very old lady.

It was a honest mistake lady was upset she just got off white flushing van from Chinatown she wanted to visit sister on northern blvd, she made comment saying she likes white flushing can better because the driver drops off where ever passenger wants & she got off bus at city line by greenwood street and she was clearly upset, I asked for

Driver badge number he wasn't wearing one that is a violation of the rules. Famous ny are you a member of the bus rider union? And do you inspect the n20 to make sure it is running? One nice gentleman today on bus told me he is a senior but he paid $2.75 he had no idea he can pay $1.35 I helped him

It was a honest mistake lady was upset she just got off white flushing van from Chinatown she wanted to visit sister on northern blvd, she made comment saying she likes white flushing can better because the driver drops off where ever passenger wants & she got off bus at city line by greenwood street and she was clearly upset, I asked for

Driver badge number he wasn't wearing one that is a violation of the rules. Famous ny are you a member of the bus rider union? And do you inspect the n20 to make sure it is running? One nice gentleman today on bus told me he is a senior but he paid $2.75 he had no idea he can pay $1.35 I helped him

Yes, I'm member.

Here are list of members (not full name for privacy.

Aaron (lives in Lynbrook but stay in Stony Brook because LIBRU/Long Island Job with Justice Office is in Happague. He depends on LIRR/NICE/SCT buses.

Kimberly: Valley Stream resident and lives in Valley Stream, drives, take n4/LIRR and SCT Bus.

Anita: I think she move to Brooklyn but works with LIBRU/LIJWJ and drives.

Charlene:

Allison: Long Beach St NY organizer: Use NICE Bus, City of Long Beach Bus, bikes

Hicksville Fed Ex male employee:

David: Hicksville resident,

Professor Saplie: Woodside resident and use NICE Bus and LIRR.

Me: Jackson Heights resident and use NICE, MTA, Bee-Line, Rockland County, Coach USA, sometimes taxi if I have enough money for taxi ride, etc.

2 Ethnical Humanist Society employee (drives car)

Frederick: Laurenton resident

Jana: Blind Vegetarian from Pt. Washington

Thanks for the info

Is Long Island bus union like a team of enforcement to make sure the nice bus is running property and on time? I never see a member in flushing on Roosevelt ave because n20 always late and sometimes silly lady on bus she sings very loudly while listening to music on her radio and drinking coffee

In Jamaica's 165th St Bus Terminal and n22/n24 Hicksville bus stop for 169th St Subway (F) Station stop at Hillside Av/170th St has signed that says, "Eastbound Long Island Bus do not drop off customers in Queens." which I used paint program and replace Long Island Bus sign with "NICE Bus". Only buses that are open door in Far Rockaway, Queens are n31, n32 and n33 buses while n33 is closed door in City of Long Beach because Long Beach has their own bus service.

29ux4kh.jpg

In response to other comment I made before maybe nice bus should have a sign on bus saying we don't drop

Off passenger in queens

They do, perhaps they should make it extremely large, or add it to the announcements.

Thanks for the info

Is Long Island bus union like a team of enforcement to make sure the nice bus is running property and on time? I never see a member in flushing on Roosevelt ave because n20 always late and sometimes silly lady on bus she sings very loudly while listening to music on her radio and drinking coffee

The LIBRU is just a group that likes to complain.