Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Many people from queens reply on the public transportation system to take them

Out to Long Island, myself included travel from flushing out to great neck & many times I have to walk to the city line just to take a q12 back home, many people like the n20 on Nassau because it is a express bus, if anything we need more service not cutting it, why doesn't nice provide more buses on busy bus routes? I think every 15 minutes on a Sunday is better than once a hour, people have lives to attend too and also jobs on li.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly... NICE has to rely on its inter-county ridership to stay afloat; the n15's, n27's, n35's, n40/1's, & the n43's of the world can only do but so much....

I'm not advocating cuts at all... and to answer your question, they don't provide more buses on busy routes because they don't have the resources to do so..... 

Many people from queens reply on the public transportation system to take them

Out to Long Island, myself included travel from flushing out to great neck & many times I have to walk to the city line just to take a q12 back home, many people like the n20 on Nassau because it is a express bus, if anything we need more service not cutting it, why doesn't nice provide more buses on busy bus routes? I think every 15 minutes on a Sunday is better than once a hour, people have lives to attend too and also jobs on li.

I don't really see much demand for 15 minutes on a Sunday for the n20. The problem has always been that after Great Neck, the n20 doesn't get much costumers aside from Rosyln, and the people left over taking it to hickville.

Why does the n20 go to Hicksville anyway? Your correct after great neck there is maybe 2-4 people left on the n20 I think n20 should be flushing to maybe Roslyn Lirr service, and a 15 minute headway would be good weekday service on weekends 30 minutes between n20 would be fine, many people ride the n20 from flushing, at least with me I always have a slow back up, the q12 at the city line, I can handle the two mike walk to great neck but some riders don't have that option.

Why does the n20 go to Hicksville anyway? Your correct after great neck there is maybe 2-4 people left on the n20 I think n20 should be flushing to maybe Roslyn Lirr service, and a 15 minute headway would be good weekday service on weekends 30 minutes between n20 would be fine, many people ride the n20 from flushing, at least with me I always have a slow back up, the q12 at the city line, I can handle the two mike walk to great neck but some riders don't have that option.

There are sometimes half of passenger that goes past Roslyn.

I remember few Sunday ago, last 6:27pm n20 Flushing leaving Hicksville were very crowded before it got to Great Neck.

n20 stops at major colleges and college has museum.

Edited by FamousNYLover

I disagree. N20 should be split up into two routes, is it really necessary to have a 2 hour route from Hicksville to flushing?

I am a N20 rider, after great neck there are a few people left on the bus. Maybe n20 from flushing to Roslyn Lirr train station.

What do you propose the route to Hicksville be?

We'll nice should do a passenger count and see if a Hicksville bound trip is really necessary or just have one bus per hour to Hicksville make all other buses end at great neck Lirr station, do students at the colleges really use the n20? Where is the ridership info?

There are teachers that uses n20 get to college and some students lives in dorm.

Sometimes there are special event people on n20 might go too.

I have to disagree with you on this, what teacher do you know that takes the N20 bus? students,...maybe. does nice bus ever do a passenger count on each bus line? Also on a side note I saw sign on bus telling people if you do not pay the fare the fine is $ 250. does nice issue tickets now if you do not pay the bus fare? there new signs

- n20 sees decent ridership at LIRR Hicksville itself at times - The way I see it, it's used as an alternative for simply just getting to Queens (over the n22/24).... usage from Broadway Mall isn't all that great.... you do get a fair number of college students utilizing 20's along the way.... Teachers I've seen no evidence of....

* 15 min headways on sundays are simply not warranted on the routes; weekends, the n20 is rather dead past Roslyn.....

* Splitting the n20 into 2 routes would have too many trips ending at Great Neck, and even less of the service running the then (would-be) full route to Roslyn (or wherever short of Hicksville John from Flushing suggests it would end).... That's one of the worst things that would happen to the route, as you'd severely kill overall coverage.... Not to mention that bus/bus connections with NICE are absoulety horrid (it's one of the major complaints with the system now).....

...service would also be impacted on the n21 also; there would be less of them throughout the day.

* While ridership isn't the greatest past Roslyn, again, the n20 is needed for general coverage...... I don't necessarily agree with this, but really, the only way to address the issue (if it's even an issue) is to have more n20's ending at Roslyn during the day - meaning, a decrease in service to Hicksville.....

Just like you said, there is no evidence of teachers from any college using the N20, Why would teachers use the N20 anyway? They drive, plus another big problem I have and many other nice bus riders have is the connection, once you get to your stop for a connecter bus, that bus either came early, or you have to wait & wait, nice bus should properly use the gps the buses have, & have each connecter bus stop & wait, for the riders, has nice bus ever did a passenger count on each line? where does nice get its ridership info from? many times I see a person on mta bus in queens he/she has a orange vest & is counting each rider boarding and exiting at each stop.

I spoke to many passengers on Roosevelt ave, they are unhappy with N20 service, many including myself would like a bus every 10-15 minutes, they provide buses on q12 every 10-15 minutes, what makes the N20 so different? same bus same services, The N20 is a express bus, many people like the idea you can get from Roosevelt ave to gleenwood street in 12 minutes.

What premium service are you talking about? I think every 15 minutes a n20 goes to great neck and every other bus comes back empty to start In flushing again, 30 minute headways from great neck & 15 from flushing subway , also every 45 minutes there should be a new limited n20 service that would go express to Hicksville stops would be flushing, bell blvd, great neck , & Hicksville Lirr

What premium service are you talking about? I think every 15 minutes a n20 goes to great neck and every other bus comes back empty to start In flushing again, 30 minute headways from great neck & 15 from flushing subway , also every 45 minutes there should be a new limited n20 service that would go express to Hicksville stops would be flushing, bell blvd, great neck , & Hicksville Lirr

The last thing that the n20 needs right now is a schedule that's as confusing as the n22. I would just leave the route as is.

They drive, plus another big problem I have and many other nice bus riders have is the connection, once you get to your stop for a connecter bus, that bus either came early, or you have to wait & wait, nice bus should properly use the gps the buses have, & have each connecter bus stop & wait, for the riders

I agree with you that a bus shouldn't leave early, but even that's sticky because maybe the bus is leaving one point early because it will hit heavy traffic at another point trying to the bus from being too late into it's final stop as these are usually RR stations and major transfer points.  You want buses that are on time to wait for late buses?  That will only;y cause later buses, more missed connections and further bring down the system.

On a side note I've been on the S1 and seen the driver signal it's connections that it has people wanting to transfer and have seen the driver of N70somethine not give a shit, just drive off to keep people waiting for 45 minutes in the rain, snow, heat, and frigid weather...  This had been a problem with NICE & MTA LIB because SOME drivers are simply a**holes and don't care about less fortunate than them.  They think the system is there to give them a paycheck not to give the community a ride.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of brett on here. Looking through the forums, i think he would have suggestions on how to fix the n20.

Google Brettnyc, he used to have a website and youtube channel...

He can't fix the n20 because he doesn't work for...  I like to watch all these medical drama's on tv but that doesn't mean I have the skills to perform surgery.   ;)

The last thing that the n20 needs right now is a schedule that's as confusing as the n22. I would just leave the route as is.

Right, one thing we've learned that any change (even for the better) confuses the hell out of the average NICE rider and refuse to use it...

NICE is very active in social media but if you think about the average rider is clueless when it comes to social media and to them NICE seems very silent and just springs changes they are not expecting on them.

Google Brettnyc, he used to have a website and youtube channel...

He can't fix the n20 because he doesn't work for...  I like to watch all these medical drama's on tv but that doesn't mean I have the skills to perform surgery.   ;)

Right, one thing we've learned that any change (even for the better) confuses the hell out of the average NICE rider and refuse to use it...

NICE is very active in social media but if you think about the average rider is clueless when it comes to social media and to them NICE seems very silent and just springs changes they are not expecting on them.

NICE sucks