Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Increase fare to $3.50? Long islanders can hardly afford the $2.75 fare now as it is, long islanders pay the highest property taxes in the ny region, this is why they can't afford anymore than the $2.75 when fare increased from $2.50 to $2.75 most long islanders had a choice between paying for a bus ride, or taking food off the table, or not being able to pay the property tax bill, I think bus fare for Long Island bus should be reduced to $2.50.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Increase fare to $3.50? Long islanders can hardly afford the $2.75 fare now as it is, long islanders pay the highest property taxes in the ny region, this is why they can't afford anymore than the $2.75 when fare increased from $2.50 to $2.75 most long islanders had a choice between paying for a bus ride, or taking food off the table, or not being able to pay the property tax bill, I think bus fare for Long Island bus should be reduced to $2.50.

This is reason why MetroCard need to stay on NICE Bus and MTA Farebox. If it was $2.50, there will be no free transfer from NICE Bus to subways if MetroCard fare stays $2.50.

There's nothing wrong with paying $2.75 for bus fare. It's still cheaper than the taxi, which is $4. Long Island's high property taxes have nothing to do it transportation, they're high because LI because of the school districts.

I also completely agree. $2.75 is cheaper than taxi.

For n88 $2.75, Taxi Latinos or other Taxis to Jones Beach-Freeport is $16 one way.

For n20 $2.75 vs. LI Yellow Cab between Hicksville and Jericho Whole Food-Columbia Drive, it's $9.

For taxis from Hicksville to 700 Commercial Av it cost $40-$50 one way compare to $2.75 n22/24 bus.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Taxi cabs are a big rip off on Long Island they pray on people who missed the bus or bus didn't show up there should be no reason why a taxi cab charges manhattan, off subject I think li needs more car free days & make nice bus free on car free day alsp

I don't believe that the cabs on Long Island prey on bus riders. I think they're more interested in the people who are coming off the LIRR and want to get home quick, given how many of those cabs are usually parked outside of the rail station.

Edited by NY1635

Taxi cabs are a big rip off on Long Island they pray on people who missed the bus or bus didn't show up there should be no reason why a taxi cab charges manhattan, off subject I think li needs more car free days & make nice bus free on car free day alsp

It wouldn't work to keep NICE Bus free on car-free day. If NICE Bus is free, they'll loose money and there could be more cuts or fare hikes happen in future.

NICE Bus and MTA did provide free ride aftermath of Halloween storm and service restore service when Gov Cuomo order, however only Bee-Line buses in Westchester County didn't offer free ride.

My opinion; nice bus should be only $2 bucks a ride & they should have bus transfers say "nice bus" not mta anymore

With MetroCard with NICE Bus, MTA and Westchester County Bee-Line Buses, you can go from Babylon Station to Peekskill.

Without MetroCard on NICE Bus, lots of riders who commutes daily between NYC and Nassau County will not be happy if they cannot use MetroCard on NICE Bus. Most of NICE Bus riders change to/from NYC Subway/Buses.

Without MetroCard, I wouldn't able to go to NICE Bus meeting or other important meeting.

On a nice bus or bee line bus & you pay with a 30 or 7 day unlimited metro card does nice bus or bee line get paid from the mta or is it a loss to the private company? I know when you pay with coins or cash metro card the nice bus or bee line keep 100% of that fare, just not sure with the unlimited since mta got paid in advance thanks

On a nice bus or bee line bus & you pay with a 30 or 7 day unlimited metro card does nice bus or bee line get paid from the mta or is it a loss to the private company? I know when you pay with coins or cash metro card the nice bus or bee line keep 100% of that fare, just not sure with the unlimited since mta got paid in advance thanks

Also Roosevelt Island Tramway operated by Roosevelt Island Operating Corperative and uses (MTA) Subway Turnstile.

Before (MTA) increases fare to $2.75, RIOC received $2.00 and MTA gets 50 cent.

Famous lover, would you know when nice bus will have a gps bus time like mta bus time? I would love to track the nice bus just like I do on mta.info

Not similar to (MTA), if you go on NICE Bus's website on Mobile, there are free app that tracks NICE Bus.

http://www.nicebus.com/Mobile/NICE-App-Showcase.aspx

Next meeting will be 100 Duffy Av (Hicksville) from 6:00 to 7:30pm, where LIBRU will be discussing daredevill bus ride challenge from Jamaica, Queens to Montauk Lighthouse on August 20th/21st St by using NICE Bus and Suffolk County Transit. 100 Duffy Av is across from train station.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Inside of bus is nasty dirty, smells like rotten eggs, empty fast food bags, cups, even beer cans & newspapers all over the floor, I'm just curious what am I paying $2.75 for?

The wheels on the bus.... which is said to go "round & round"......

$2.75 is MTA fare since because of MTA Fareboxes are used by NICE Bus, Bee-Line Bus and Academy X23/X24 bus.

Yes, but it wasn't so much the mta base fare, as much as it was keeping the metrocard system implemented on the buses for the very heavy amount of overall ridership that existed with LIB/went nowhere with NICE....

what would happen if nice bus removed mta fare box from it's buses? I'm sure we can pay with dollar bills or coins some other way

Say goodbye to the use of Metrocards on their buses, for starters.....

That would suck as there wouldn't be no free transfer to the subway or NYC buses, I'm sure a lot of the NICE bus riders on the 4, 6, 20, 22, 24, etc transfer to the subway in Queens... removing the mta fare box would kill ridership even more..

....Which I believe is what Mangano wants - as it would justify running even less service.....

Suffolk bus doesn't have mta fare box, so how do they operate?

Like any other bus system that doesn't have MTA fareboxes?

What exactly are you asking with this........

The suggested fare increase (to what would have been LIB, had Nassau not found a new surface transportation provider) was to help bridge the gap for what Nassau wasn't paying to help subsidize their own bus system..... I'm surprised the MTA didn't ask for more - it would have really illustrated how much Nassau didn't care about the inter-county bus usage, or worse - those that ride within Nassau county!

There's nothing wrong with paying $2.75 for bus fare. It's still cheaper than the taxi, which is $4. Long Island's high property taxes have nothing to do it transportation, they're high because LI because of the school districts.

...and that's only the "local" fare (say, if you're riding from LIRR Mineola (where one of the bases is) to anywhere else within Mineola)....

Taxi cabs are a big rip off on Long Island they pray on people who missed the bus or bus didn't show up

there should be no reason why a taxi cab charges manhattan,

off subject I think li needs more car free days & make nice bus free on car free day alsp

Don't get what you're saying with the point about Manhattan.....

I don't believe that the cabs on Long Island prey on bus riders. I think they're more interested in the people who are coming off the LIRR and want to get home quick, given how many of those cabs are usually parked outside of the rail station.

The only bus riders they prey off of, are the ones that happen to come off the RR.....

Another way of putting it is, NICE & the taxi cab companies are in competition w/ each other.....

For example, If you get off Mineola RR & your train was late, you're gonna miss your bus connection to RFM....

You've missed that bus & you're gonna be late for work....

Guess what vehicle is parked, doors open, waiting to sucker you out of 8 bucks.....

What's going on with the destination signs lately, most of them are blank & not working.......

I've been seeing some destination signs where the route number/designation is either in chartreuse or red.... maybe they're undergoing testing? IDK.....

I took N20 to Hicksville Lirr earlier this week, & needed to catch the 451pm N79 to south Huntington, since N20 driver was slow & wasn't moving this made me miss my N79 bus & of course 3 taxi cabs park in bus stop & open there door & ask "u need a ride" I think it's horrible taxi cab drivers look to take nice bus riders I only wanna pay $2.75 & not $20 dollars, please have drivers on N20 speed up to Hicksville so us passengers can make next bus connection. Thank u

I took N20 to Hicksville Lirr earlier this week, & needed to catch the 451pm N79 to south Huntington, since N20 driver was slow & wasn't moving this made me miss my N79 bus & of course 3 taxi cabs park in bus stop & open there door & ask "u need a ride" I think it's horrible taxi cab drivers look to take nice bus riders I only wanna pay $2.75 & not $20 dollars, please have drivers on N20 speed up to Hicksville so us passengers can make next bus connection. Thank u

The last thing that Long Island needs right now are buses going over the speed limit to get passengers home quickly.

Speed limit in NYC is 25 mph, once you hit Long Island speed limit is 55 mph on most roads.

Not all NYC Speed Limit is 25 mph. 25 MPH or 20MPH are area with Vision Zero area.

Some section of Long Beach has 25 MPH as well.

On Park Blvd in Eisenhower State Park is 35MPH, but I think it should reduce to 25mph because it goes through park.

But Yuki (FamousNYLover), you like the taxi's though :lol:

Five stars right.... smfh...

I only use taxi when I have enough money.

I had to use $10 on $9 taxi ride from Jericho Whole Food to Hicksville Station because I couldn't walk with heavey shopping bag to train station when 2nd last n20 bus from Hicksville to Flushing never showed up.

Another time was when I was late to LIBRU meeting in Mineola and I give $5 for $4 ride and another time was LIBRU meeting to Roosevelt Field for $6 taxi ride, which I paid $7 (adding tip).

Another time was when I was attending Long Island Flashmob's event at Ribbon Ceremony at Amber Court, which I took $5 taxi ride from Central America Taxi in Westbury to there roundtrip. $5 one way and I give $1 tip each direction.

Another time when I was attending Lolita protest in Medford, and at pizza place on Horseblock Rd, I didn't know how much was taxi, so I only order regular pizza that are cheap when restaurant called taxi for me to find out and it was $9, so I gave $10.

Back to NICE Bus, there's going to be Nassau County Legislature's meeting regardding full budget including for NICE Bus. There will be testimony there as well.