Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is nice bus in a horrid state now? i think nice bus is just fine.

Since you're new to NICE Bus, you don't know NICE Buses too well.

Unlike NYC buses, NICE bus don't provide bus when buses breakdown, forcing passengers to wait for next bus.

NICE Bus is not fine at all, and lots of former (MTA) Long Island bus operators/dispatcher want (MTA) back.

Why doesn't nice send out another bus when a bus breaks down? It's not fare to have the passengers wait for the next bus which could be one hour. Why does nice bus drivers & dispatchers want mta back? What is the difference between a private company & the mta? Thank u

If only there was a way to instantly teleport a 40,000 lb. bus and an operator ready to cover the missing run.

NICE Buses lacks maintence like everyone here states. If bus breakdown, they have to wait for next bus because NICE Bus doesn't have enough money for maintence.

I have been on n32 bus that broke down and force to wait 1-hour for next n32 bus.

NICE Bus doesn't have so many extra buses.

When buses goes out of service after their run, they don't help out and NICE just go straight into depot or other bus drivers choosing that bus for next trip.

To the recent topics:

1--BIKE RACKS:

Bike racks work in transit systems large and small equally well.  Granted, they wouldn't really work on MTA Express Bus routes, but the racks are actually designed by their manufacturers to attach/work on MCIs and Prevosts.

With the way NICE routes are, bike racks could actually work.  There are plenty of areas that are not served where people could use their bike between bus and destination.  Get yourself away from the Queens/Nassau border areas and there are plenty of gaps in route service.

Bee-Line, I don't know, that's a real toss-up.  But the only way to really find out is if you run some trials.

DDOT here started with one route to test theirs on, and IMHO it was not a route ideally for bike users -- looked like they wanted it to fail.  But those buses must have been cycled around to other routes and customers liked them, so they're now getting racks installed.

Cost is really minimal, racks are less than $1000 each, and installation can actually be done in-house, not complicated.

Inside racks are only designed/sold as an addition to an existing outdoor rack.  Customers must use the exterior rack before anyone can use the interior one, and at most 2 can be inside.  Seats just flip up, like in ADA (wheelchair) applications, and rider can sit or stand next to their bike.  These interior racks are not the norm, and Sportsworks has a picture on their website of an install on an articulated bus at the "accordion" area.  Since Sportsworks is a Seattle-area company, I think the Seattle TA might use them.

2--BIKE RACKS/ADA DUAL USE:

ADA rules would never allow this idea to ever be entertained.  Sure it might sound logical, but ADA is based on the "Suppose you do have a disabled passenger..." idea.  In my travels over the years, I could say that around 1% of the trips had a wheelchair/scooter customer.  But the 99% don't matter to the government's rules, which is how ADA is constructed.

3--BUS REPLACEMENT AT BREAKDOWN:

Coordination between dispatch and mechanics should use all the factors to decide when a replacement should be rolled.  If you take into account the time of day, next route run, where breakdown is on route (i.e. how much is left unserved), number on board and average number left to board, it's not really that hard.  Fortunately, I've only been on about three total breakdowns in 3-4 years, plus a "partial", and on the 45-60 minute headway routes, mechanic brought a replacement -- both times because of the service level, amount of customers already on, and we were only about 1/3 into the route.  The other time was on a busy, main route, and next bus was only 25 minutes away -- that bus turned into a sardine can for awhile, but ended up a pretty even load.  "Partial" breakdown involved operator telling dispatch there was an intermittent acceleration problem which was worsening as she was going.  Got to the transit center, and we got onto another bus, since that operator was going to the depot anyways, and mechanics told that operator to wait with until they got there, so our route could continue.

It's not always practical to send out a new bus, especially given the fact that most operators have no idea what failed when they call for service.  If the mechanic gets on scene and finds a minor problem with an easy fix, the replacement is unwarranted.  And at that time, you've taken the mechanic away from work at the depot, plus a bus completely run non-revenue.

It's always a toss-up.

NICE Buses lacks maintence like everyone here states. If bus breakdown, they have to wait for next bus because NICE Bus doesn't have enough money for maintence.

Like DetSmart45 said, it makes no sence to send a replacment but if a Mechanic could be dispatched and easily make a repair. I mean would be a waste of money to replace the bus  when it could be repaired and then sent to the end of the route to resume the run. In that situation the Riders would be forced to take the next bus because the next bus would come sooner then the mechanic would and they wouldn't want riders to wait on a non working bus and be delayed. Also another reason not to send a replacment bus to where the bus broke down would be that it is easier or faster to send the replacment bus to a location close to the depot or to the closed terminal ot major point on the line were the driver can easily get to to resume their run or to have a cover driver start until the other driver could catch up or could resume the run. Another reason could be that they don't have enough spare buses to start with, I mean it's not like bus agency's have spare bus for every bus that they use everyday. Just because NICE has bad mainatnce, doesn't mean that people can blame that for every problem NICE has.  

Why does nice bus drivers & dispatchers want mta back? What is the difference between a private company & the mta? 

Most likely there were certain benefits that they had under the MTA that they don't or can't have because they work for a private company. Remember the MTA is a government agency, so there probably is certain rights or something that they have to give their eempolyees that a Private company doesn't. Or it could be something simple like schuduleing of runs or working conditions themselfs seemed better under the MTA then the drivers & dispatchers feel they have now under Veolia. I mean every company handles their operations diffrently then another, one company/agency can be strict and one could be the opposite. Heck it could be that there is someone in upper management that everybody just doesn't like. When companies change, it's not suprising that some people may like the old one better then the new. 

Though with all the talk of NICE having hired a bunch of new drivers and former drivers having left, I;m suprised that there are any drivers from the MTA days left. 

Like DetSmart45 said, it makes no sence to send a replacment but if a Mechanic could be dispatched and easily make a repair. I mean would be a waste of money to replace the bus  when it could be repaired and then sent to the end of the route to resume the run. In that situation the Riders would be forced to take the next bus because the next bus would come sooner then the mechanic would and they wouldn't want riders to wait on a non working bus and be delayed. Also another reason not to send a replacment bus to where the bus broke down would be that it is easier or faster to send the replacment bus to a location close to the depot or to the closed terminal ot major point on the line were the driver can easily get to to resume their run or to have a cover driver start until the other driver could catch up or could resume the run. Another reason could be that they don't have enough spare buses to start with, I mean it's not like bus agency's have spare bus for every bus that they use everyday. Just because NICE has bad mainatnce, doesn't mean that people can blame that for every problem NICE has.  

Most likely there were certain benefits that they had under the MTA that they don't or can't have because they work for a private company. Remember the MTA is a government agency, so there probably is certain rights or something that they have to give their eempolyees that a Private company doesn't. Or it could be something simple like schuduleing of runs or working conditions themselfs seemed better under the MTA then the drivers & dispatchers feel they have now under Veolia. I mean every company handles their operations diffrently then another, one company/agency can be strict and one could be the opposite. Heck it could be that there is someone in upper management that everybody just doesn't like. When companies change, it's not suprising that some people may like the old one better then the new. 

Though with all the talk of NICE having hired a bunch of new drivers and former drivers having left, I;m suprised that there are any drivers from the MTA days left. 

There are few former (MTA) LIB drivers are still working for NICE Bus. Cindy was best MTA/NICE Bus driver and she was vice-president of Coalition to Save Long Island Bus and bus driver member of LIBRU.

Aaron is Lynbrook resident and has 2nd home in Stony Brook because his LIJWJ office in Happague.

Jana is Pt. Wash resident.

Richard is Hicksville resident.

YAI Westbury- LIJWJ/LIBRU Supporter.

Allison is Long Beach resident and LIBRU and bike-bus advocate.

Sylvia is Garden City-Mineola resident. She's new bus riders and she's also bike riders.

There are few former (MTA) LIB drivers are still working for NICE Bus. Cindy was best MTA/NICE Bus driver and she was vice-president of Coalition to Save Long Island Bus and bus driver member of LIBRU.

Aaron is Lynbrook resident and has 2nd home in Stony Brook because his LIJWJ office in Happague.

Jana is Pt. Wash resident.

Richard is Hicksville resident.

YAI Westbury- LIJWJ/LIBRU Supporter.

Allison is Long Beach resident and LIBRU and bike-bus advocate.

Sylvia is Garden City-Mineola resident. She's new bus riders and she's also bike riders.

Just suggesting b/c they're everywhere.

I don't go to Arby's in Bellmore too much because you-know who don't want to see me in his favorite fast food. I mostly choose Vegan foods during animal protest in Long Island when I commute by NICE Bus or Suffolk County Transit.

I spent more time in Long Island than NYC.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Just suggesting b/c they're everywhere.

I don't go to Arby's in Bellmore too much because you-know who don't want to see me in his favorite fast food. I mostly choose Vegan foods during animal protest in Long Island when I commute by NICE Bus or Suffolk County Transit.

I spent more time in Long Island than NYC.

Long Island bus riders union took that dangerous walk across busy hwy by nice bus headquarters to show nice bus how dangerous it is to get to a near by bus stop, Long Island bus riders union is trying to help it's riders by keeping fares low. If everybody went to nice bus meeting to tell nice fare are too high maybe nice wouldn't raise fare, if you need money for

Maintence sometimes you have to go Into ur own pocket not the riders. When I am hungry I go into my pocket to buy my lunch I don't have my hand out.

Long Island bus riders union took that dangerous walk across busy hwy by nice bus headquarters to show nice bus how dangerous it is to get to a near by bus stop, Long Island bus riders union is trying to help it's riders by keeping fares low. If everybody went to nice bus meeting to tell nice fare are too high maybe nice wouldn't raise fare, if you need money for

Maintence sometimes you have to go Into ur own pocket not the riders. When I am hungry I go into my pocket to buy my lunch I don't have my hand out.

Some riders don't want to spend another fare on n16, n27, n35, n45, n51 to cross Roosevelt Field to Stewart Av.

The problem being, from a companies stand point is why should it spend the money to pay for service that the riders want. The riders want the service then they should pay for it, they want service expansion they should pay for that. It's not a hand out if the company gives something that the riders a paying for, a hand out is getting something and the person not paying for it. (which in this case would be the company providing the bus service yet the riders not paying to ride.)

I asked why is nice bus in a horrid state as some people claim it is, show us some

Proof that supportes it.

That's two videos but browse though his channel and you'll see NICE bus's "horrid state". In the first video you'd see another disgruntled NICE rider around the 4:55 mark. Its interesting as Pine tells that NICE supervisor that "MTA was much better" and the visor replied "It wasn't that much better" lol.

Edited by trainfan22