Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

I saw a NICE bus today with the back cover and the front door open (while the bus was moving). Is that common?

I don't think they are suppose to be operating with the front door open. I've never seen or been on an SCT bus that had it's front doors open while moving, except for one time on the S62 when the driver opened the front door before making a left hand turn from one street to the other. My guess was that it was difficult to see any traffic coming towards the bus on the street the driver was turning from with the doors closed.  

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The buses manufacture before the rts and orion v era operated with the front doors opened. ..it might be because in that time the security for the passengers weren't as much strict as it is today and now the current buses are locked down to not move with the doors open

Also as the today buses are automatic and not manually shifted it is clearly impossible for it to run with the doors open. ..in developing countries virtually all buses are manual and thus can operate with the doors open

Now it might be possible that the NICE driver knows some password code to unlock the locking in the immovability

The buses manufacture before the rts and orion v era operated with the front doors opened. ..it might be because in that time the security for the passengers weren't as much strict as it is today and now the current buses are locked down to not move with the doors open

Also as the today buses are automatic and not manually shifted it is clearly impossible for it to run with the doors open. ..in developing countries virtually all buses are manual and thus can operate with the doors open

Now it might be possible that the NICE driver knows some password code to unlock the locking in the immovability

What password code? It's as easy as just opening the front door and driving away

...or just taking the air out the door and driving away

I've never heard of an interlock being fitted to the front door.  The back door, yes.  Otherwise you'd have to be at an absolute complete stop and wait for it to disengage at places like railroad crossings when the door has to be opened.

As I said, it's not a very common occurrence when an operator leaves the front door open while driving, but I've seen the smarter ones do it in spring during early heatwaves when the A/C is still off.

Another time I've seen it done was when a homeless person got on, almost immediately funkified the entire bus, and the driver opened the door and ran practically the entire route with it open, and customers had all the windows open as well.  It helped, but the smell was still there.  Operator joked after customer got off that he didn't expect to be in a Seinfeld episode ("The Smelly Car").

Edited by DetSMART45

I've never heard of an interlock being fitted to the front door. The back door, yes. Otherwise you'd have to be at an absolute complete stop and wait for it to disengage at places like railroad crossings when the door has to be opened.

As I said, it's not a very common occurrence when an operator leaves the front door open while driving, but I've seen the smarter ones do it in spring during early heatwaves when the A/C is still off.

Another time I've seen it done was when a homeless person got on, almost immediately funkified the entire bus, and the driver opened the door and ran practically the entire route with it open, and customers had all the windows open as well. It helped, but the smell was still there. Operator joked after customer got off that he didn't expect to be in a Seinfeld episode ("The Smelly Car").

On our coaches, there's an interlock on the front door (for obvious reasons lol). On the local fleet, the front doors won't open while the bus is in motion for the most part. While stopped, you can open the doors and drive off but then you'll hear that annoying beeping sound. On the newest buses, the doors will close automatically once the bus starts moving.

On NICE, none of this matters, the front doors open regardless lol

On our coaches, there's an interlock on the front door (for obvious reasons lol). On the local fleet, the front doors won't open while the bus is in motion for the most part. While stopped, you can open the doors and drive off but then you'll hear that annoying beeping sound. On the newest buses, the doors will close automatically once the bus starts moving.

On NICE, none of this matters, the front doors open regardless lol

Hmmm.  Must be an MTA spec, and something to check out when I can catch one of our new DE hybrids.  I can see it on the MCIs and Prevosts because of the steps, but I'm sure that feature is something both of them put on all the coaches.  Our more experienced operators usually open the front door when approaching a stop (only when someone isn't waiting to get off via the front door, of course).

I can imagine how that beeping would be annoying, especially if it's the loud back-up alarm like on the RTS kneelers.

Full BTC Video from Pinepower. N46 Shorten to Newbridge Rd, and N2/8 Cut peak service to Jamaica??, and eliminate N80/81, 14,17 62, 50,51. These are not final but is effective Jan 1 2016.

Why is this a bad thing? NICE is finally getting rid of all the dead weight routes and he has the gall to complain about service being cut. The MTA isn't coming back to Nassau anytime soon and the whole STOA thing might have something to do with Nassau politicians getting caught up in a corruption scandal.

Why is this a bad thing? NICE is finally getting rid of all the dead weight routes and he has the gall to complain about service being cut. The MTA isn't coming back to Nassau anytime soon and the whole STOA thing might have something to do with Nassau politicians getting caught up in a corruption scandal.

Those cuts will leave parts of SE Nassau uncovered. While I agree NICE has too many of these routes, some should be kept for coverage. So now they are planning to eliminate the n17 again. What was the point of restoring it then?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Those cuts will leave parts of SE Nassau uncovered. While I agree NICE has too many of these routes, some should be kept for coverage. So now they are planning to eliminate the n17 again. What was the point of restoring it then?

If some of them are kept, then NICE will do something drastic, like combine two under performing routes into one, or extend a well utilized route further to the area where service is cut for coverage. The whole point of restoring the n17 was to provide service to Mercy Hospital, the problem is that most folks who travel between RVC and HTC want the n16 because it's way more frequent, plus they want to go to the mall or the college.

Edited by NY1635

If it means more service on the n6 during rush hour or extra buses in the case one fails, then just dump those routes.

Except it isn't. Those cuts (along with the increase in fares on GoMobile and cash) only close $4.1 million of the $7.5 million. So that is essentially happening to cut waste, without any replacement. 

Except it isn't. Those cuts (along with the increase in fares on GoMobile and cash) only close $4.1 million of the $7.5 million. So that is essentially happening to cut waste, without any replacement. 

But do any of the routes proposed to be eliminated need replacements? For example, if the n62 is eliminated, would the people who took the route settle for an n40/n41 extension into South Freeport?

But do any of the routes proposed to be eliminated need replacements? For example, if the n62 is eliminated, would the people who took the route settle for an n40/n41 extension into South Freeport?

Then that wouldn't really close any gap. Extensions cost money, even if it's just by a little. 

Some of the routes should be kept as coverage. The n46 should instead have the daytime weekday service over the n50., and restructure the route a little bit.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Today at Flushing-Main St, 5:52pm and 6:12pm n21 Glen Cleve never showed up.

6:02pm n20L Hicksville departed 6:22pm n20L Hicksville departed 6:34pm.

. It's very hard to get out of Main and Roosevelt on time around rush hour, especially with the amount of cars and buses trying to get in and out of Flushing.

Edited by NY1635

When Veolia took over, all of the current routes in the system weren't planned to stay around anyway..... I'm surprised these cuts haven't happened within like the first 6 mos. after the takeover, to be honest.....

As for the linked video clip.... What's this about walking from RFM to Westbury due to a bus never showing up.... 

(The b/o of the n24 that ended at RFM (like he was supposed to) in his story, did the right thing... It's out of his/her power to "help out" w/e pax that were left hung out to dry at RFM that needed the n22 - Regardless if it was on a sunday...)

If some of them are kept, then NICE will do something drastic, like combine two under performing routes into one, or extend a well utilized route further to the area where service is cut for coverage. The whole point of restoring the n17 was to provide service to Mercy Hospital, the problem is that most folks who travel between RVC and HTC want the n16 because it's way more frequent, plus they want to go to the mall or the college.

If it means more service on the n6 during rush hour or extra buses in the case one fails, then just dump those routes.

Then that wouldn't really close any gap. Extensions cost money, even if it's just by a little. 

Some of the routes should be kept as coverage. The n46 should instead have the daytime weekday service over the n50., and restructure the route a little bit.

If service cut happens to fixed-route, it will affect disable communities where Able-Ride paratransit is only allowed to serve 3 and quarter miles of fixed-route buses. There are lots of disable passengers who depends on Able-Ride paratransit and according to my blind vegan friend, Able-Ride passengers are always complaining that sometimes bus force them to next doctor's appointment or Able-Ride never show and disable riders are spending $3.75 fare.