Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right. With LIB buses broke down all the time, especially in the summer. I've been on several buses that have broken down and we had to wait for the next one to pick us up, IF there was room.

Buses were late, and sometimes there were missing runs.  The maintenance of these OLD buses comes down to how they were taken care of from the beginning under LIB. LIB had poor maintenance and their older fleet is showing the results of their poor maintenance. 

Doesn't anyone remember when over 50% of MTA LONG ISLAND BUS buses failed inspection? 

This article shows that it wasn't just LIB buses that the MTA failed to properly inspect/maintain:

DiNapoli: MTA failed to properly inspect buses: http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/dinapoli-mta-failed-to-properly-inspect-buses-1.2642974

Then you have those like pinepower saying "just cough up the money". How about you write checks directly to NICE because it's just that easy to come up with tens of millions of dollars.  Lets not forget that the NICE is still offering more services for the amount of money that they receiving relative to LIB.

Also, essentially every year the MTA asks for more money and for more taxes and fees to be created for their coffers, but then there is an audit or investigation that reveals tens to hundreds of millions of dollars being wasted someway somehow. 

This is just to add some perspective to these arguments.

OK, additional perspective.

So when MTA was running the show, things weren't working correctly.  Hmmm, not really surprising when you entrust everything transport into one entity, run by politicians with plenty of graft opportunities.  It completely lessens the opportunity for the real bill-payers to have any control over what's done with their money.

I remember a story around 4-5 years ago of how NYCHA residents at one complex were actually going to sue the HA to force them to make elevator and security repairs/improvements the residents were promised but had yet to be even started.  But it got a lot of media attention, forcing the HA to go on the defensive publicly, and while it may have caused a brief spotlight on the problem, the residents seemed to have gotten their point across.  However, just imagine that -- "fair/affordable housing" recipients having to actually threaten a court forcing the city to do what it promised, from a city who says "Trust us, we'll take care of you for your housing, since you're in need" and all it turns out to be is lip-service, feel-good crap when rubber meets the road.

It's the same with the bus service, whether run by the MTA or as it is now with NICE.  Nobody is held accountable for the money that is spent, and when there's a "audit" -- especially by another government agency -- it makes for good press, gets people briefly outaged, but ends right there.  All an official, spokesman or staffer has to say is "Oops ... well, uh ... we're going to look into this and pursue corrective actions" and nothing happens, or is even followed-up on by the same press, or government agency, so it just disappears.  In the Newsday article you cited, was there any repercussions, sanctions or fines levied by the same office that completed the audit?  Any "teeth" put into MTA's backside?  Probably not, because nobody really went that far -- including from the riding public and other area taxpayers who should have done just like those HA residents, made a stink, and forced the issue.  If it meant filing lawsuits, so be it, because lawmakers always seem to put penalties in when crafting laws, yet somehow find exemptions for themselves when actually caught in wrong-doings -- until someone holds them to their own laws.

Now you're in a similar situation with NICE that you were with the MTA, except it's very transparent as to how little the current administration views bus service.  Sure, Transdev has lots to answer for, but they only take orders from the top.  There's no real backlash from a majority of the county, since only around 10% of the 1.35 million residents use NICE, according to their estimates.  Pretty paltry for the amounts using LIRR, which while NICE brags about how they serve all the LIRR stations within Nassau, it's very obvious those commuters don't view NICE as meeting their transport needs getting to/from LIRR.  If those commuters started boycotting bus service back when MTA was there, it sure doesn't look like the replacement has performed any better to bring them back.  And that problem has to be confronted head-on in a region which basically relies on public transport due to population density.  That problem should have been taken on first and foremost, over attempting to "prove a point" in cutting funding dollars -- which was the foundation of getting MTA out in the first place.

I hate to bring up what happens in my area because some might think it's an apples versus oranges comparison, but our little ol' bus system has accountability to all of its funding communities.  In two of the three counties, communties (voters) choose to "opt-in" to funding SMART.  Since the time of millage-funding (through property taxes), only ONE community has opted-out -- and quite similarly to the way Nassau/Mangano did versus the MTA.  Their platform was the same.  Before they did, SMART operated two or three (have to check old 1990s schedules/maps) fixed-routes along Livonia's busiest, and upcoming, corridors.  SMART provided "Community Transit" buses for Livonia to use, especially for elderly/disabled, according to what they felt they needed -- and all they had to pay for was the gas, not the bus/maintenance.  SMART also operated "Connector" service -- which operates throughout all SMART areas -- for seniors/disabled/ADA, which was out of SMART's overall budget.  BUT, Livonia did the Nassau/Mangano ploy, saying SMART was ripping off city taxpayers for what they pay, we can do better for less, etc.  SOOOOOO -- in the almost 20 years since, has Livonia done anything comparable?  Nope.  They have IIRC two little 9-passenger buses which run a couple days a week, limited hours; NO "fixed-route" comparable service; LOTS of traffic-clogged roads which a good portion of are pockmarked with holes and holes-from-holes that were filled.  OH, and they "suck off" the troubled DDOT buses for transport along two of their main roads -- which is notable, since DDOT cut all suburban-service years ago during their own cutbacks, but keep those two routes running (without Livonia paying them a dime) because Detroit riders go there for jobs/shopping.  SMART -- obviously -- doesn't go anywhere NEAR Livonia, forcing riders lots of walking, or the extra expense of cabs.  Pretty bad for one of the larger cities of Metro Detroit (close to 100,000), when other cities of their size and economic development have no problem with the services SMART does for what they receive.  HOWEVER, the voters got what they wanted:  no bus service to support, but clogged/poorly-maintained roads they complain about, and service-industry jobs that go unfilled anywhere away from their borders or the DDOT routes.

If you want better bus service, you have to complain and make your voice heard.  Somehow it's not looking like NICE is doing any better than LI Bus was.  You've gone from the same situation to the same situation.  Remind your "officials" of their promises, MAKE them ride the buses, MAKE Transdev accountable for their performance -- in real world not on paper.  SMART serves roughly the same percentage of population as NICE does, yet with accountability, voters didn't have a problem paying a little more for the next few years, because of past performance.  All on roughly $110 million a year (with only $330,000 from the Feds).

Tonight when I stopped by at Flushing-Main St, after late 6:22pm n20L Hicksville left at 6:32pm, line strecht all the way to subway elevator because 6:32pm n21 Glen Cove and 7:10pm n20 Hicksville was missing. 7:30pm n20 Hicksville came ontime followed by very late 6:44pm n20L Hicksville, followed by very late 6:58pm n21 Glen Cove which came exactly in bunches at 7:30pm.

First of all of quit bringing up smart bus.This a nice bus fourm about nice bus not out state or regional transit.Also this NYCTf not Detroit transit fourms

Honest question: Do you actually have anything substantial to be bringing to these NYCTF forums yourself?  All you seem to do is make snarky little comments, most of which are riddled with spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors, bordering on something heard coming from a 10 year old on a school playground.  This latest gem seems to illustrate the point brilliantly since you obviously cannot comprehend the comparison I was making.  If you're going to go after me, why didn't you do the same to Cait Sith when he brought up King County (Washington State) in the MTA Bus forum in a similar comparison?  I'll even write it for you so you can copy and paste it there:

"Quit bringing up Seattle.  This is a MTA forum about MTA bus not out state or regional transit.Also this NYCTf not Seattle transit fourms"

I'm not going to bother looking up all your inane posts, but I have YET to see anything coming from you that is actually "participatory" to the thoughts and ideas any member puts forth, let alone anything relevant.  Your whipping boy John From Flushing acquiesced to your bullying tactics and does not post here anymore, and you've been pretty quiet, since the "easy target" has gone.  Let's just get this straight:  You're not going to do the same to me ... and if you don't like my contributions, or can't understand them (which I think is the real root of the problem), then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE by clicking the back-button on your browser.

John from flushing ain't my boy.He is a troll a very clever troll probably on here right now under a different name I suppose his name is Brett is channel is channel A on YouTube why that is idk.Check it if u wish PS he steals peoples videos of the internet might wanna report him.????????????????????????????

Whatever.

Once again, petty attacks instead of any reasoned arguments.  Yet, you've unwittingly proved my points (in other words: you've reinforced what I stated, making yourself look foolish.)

As to your second reply, you have made statements but offered no proof to prove them.  OK to do on the Internet, especially since because OF your previous posts, nobody's really going to investigate their validity or call you on them if wrong.  Don't quit your day job and think of practicing law, a judge would probably slap you with contempt of court just for wasting the court's time and award a client damages for incompetence to be paid from you to them.

I will, in closing, give you a smidgen of credit for creating a thread -- albeit in the wrong forum section -- that other posters found interesting enough to comment on regarding the NICE surplus bus sales.  Don't let it go to your head, because it's a verrry small baby-step to you regaining some cred here.  (My observations on your forum behavior are probably felt by a number of those who come here to be accurate, therefore your credibility is probably mighty low with them as well.  If you continue to build off that post -- instead of the comebacks and put-downs ones -- you could possibly turn it around.)

In future, I will do as I have done with the vast majority of your posts, and that is to ignore them.  If the moderators think your current postings are representative of the site, that's their decision.  But . . . I won't allow my posts to be attacked or treated as garbage without reasoned thought and argument.  If you don't agree, then put down the points where I'm wrong and explain your basis for thinking that way.  Your little responses of "Your mom wears army boots" will just be ignored, but if you want to get into adult-style conversations they will be considered.

Whatever.

Once again, petty attacks instead of any reasoned arguments. Yet, you've unwittingly proved my points (in other words: you've reinforced what I stated, making yourself look foolish.)

As to your second reply, you have made statements but offered no proof to prove them. OK to do on the Internet, especially since because OF your previous posts, nobody's really going to investigate their validity or call you on them if wrong. Don't quit your day job and think of practicing law, a judge would probably slap you with contempt of court just for wasting the court's time and award a client damages for incompetence to be paid from you to them.

I will, in closing, give you a smidgen of credit for creating a thread -- albeit in the wrong forum section -- that other posters found interesting enough to comment on regarding the NICE surplus bus sales. Don't let it go to your head, because it's a verrry small baby-step to you regaining some cred here. (My observations on your forum behavior are probably felt by a number of those who come here to be accurate, therefore your credibility is probably mighty low with them as well. If you continue to build off that post -- instead of the comebacks and put-downs ones -- you could possibly turn it around.)

In future, I will do as I have done with the vast majority of your posts, and that is to ignore them. If the moderators think your current postings are representative of the site, that's their decision. But . . . I won't allow my posts to be attacked or treated as garbage without reasoned thought and argument. If you don't agree, then put down the points where I'm wrong and explain your basis for thinking that way. Your little responses of "Your mom wears army boots" will just be ignored, but if you want to get into adult-style conversations they will be considered.

????????????????????????????????????????????

WOW a long post this take you 4 hours at least I live in a safe community with frequent bus service and lirr Trains to Manhattan less crime.And my neighboring isn't bankrupt and did not accept bailouts from the us government for auto industry???? Ps less gang violence safer community good bus service???? Think about this about this when you write another smart bus paragraph smart is isn't gold compared to nice or MTA.I'll Be BACK detsmart????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Did you seriously have to spam three posts over a period of twelve hours just because he's not responding to you so that you look as the victorious one here??

As for him not responding, I don't know, maybe he has more important things to do than to deal with childish bullshit. Not even VG8 does that, and he always claims himself as the protagonist in everything.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Did you seriously have to spam three posts over a period of twelve hours just because he's not responding to you so that you look as the victorious one here??

As for him not responding, I don't know, maybe he has more important things to do than to deal with childish bullshit. Not even VG8 does that, and he always claims himself as the protagonist in everything.

Not my problem das boobs

Exactly.  Three posts of pure drivel, why bother responding, right?

It's like you're told to ignore your sister/brother bothering you in the backseat, they'll lose interest if you don't respond to them.  But most likely they keep up and end up getting smacked upside the head by mom/dad in the front seat, because they've had enough.

Noticed he antagonized Cait Sith in the Off Topic area as well.  It's only a matter of time now ...

John from flushing ain't my boy.He is a troll a very clever troll probably on here right now under a different name I suppose his name is Brett is channel is channel A on YouTube why that is idk.Check it if u wish PS he steals peoples videos of the internet might wanna report him.

He's not the same person, I've checked. Now stop the spam or else your posting abilities will be no more. You've already started the nonsense with the pinepower bs.

SE Nassau is fairly well off compared to central Nassau.  I don't know what benefit it would provide especially when the few lines that go out that far carry nothing but air.

It's a miracle that the n54/n55 and n71 get any customers at Sunrise Mall.

Edited by NY1635