Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A one-seat ride between Freeport and Long Beach: http://mapq.st/1YRwKd3

Note: This route will not carry passengers solely within Long Beach. All service along Lido Boulevard and East Park Avenue is pick-up only to Freeport and drop-off only from Freeport.

It's not going to work. People who live in Long Beach want to get into Mainland Nassau and the n15 already does that. inter-Long Beach travel is already handled by their own bus service, which is cheaper than NICE.

Today after taking advantage of free-fare HART Bus ride round trip 16:30 H40 Northport and 16:10pm H40 South Hungtington, I went back to Bus Stop after Apple Store, and 18:36pm n79 Hicksville didn't come. Around 17:20pm, #1681 crawled as turtle as it approach bus stop. His bus broke down and since it was call, he let us sit down, but 19:30pm n79 Hicksville soon came. Even both Russian and Spanish were complaining they were waiting for an hour of bus in cold freezy stormy rain weather.

Last weekend, while riding the LIRR to Atlantic Terminal on the Babylon line, I noticed (from my overhead vantage point on the train) that the NICE renumbered buses (pre-1700, I believe) still have their large original bus numbers on the rear roof.  I guess the repainting budget didn't include those.  Then again, that's not surprising considering that many of the 1700-series buses are still blue and whites like the MTA buses.

It's been so long since I last rode NICE and it was probably like 2 years ago, even though I live right across the street. One of these days, I will take it, probably next weekend. Thinking of going to the movies at Jamaica Multiplex and when that's done, I'll just head to Archer Av and take the N4 or N4X to 5 corners for the N32 to go home. I know, that's a long journey. However, I am happy that NICE got the XN40, when it goes into service next month, it will probably be assign to any route(correct me if I'm wrong). I will be suprise if it shows up on the N31 or N32 randomly like I saw with the Ex-Foothill on the N31 this past June.

Last weekend, while riding the LIRR to Atlantic Terminal on the Babylon line, I noticed (from my overhead vantage point on the train) that the NICE renumbered buses (pre-1700, I believe) still have their large original bus numbers on the rear roof.  I guess the repainting budget didn't include those.  Then again, that's not surprising considering that many of the 1700-series buses are still blue and whites like the MTA buses.

1700s and some buses belong to (MTA) under Long Island Bus, so it's still blue. Some ex-(MTA) LIB fleets still has (MTA) Takeout Box.

!500~1839 was operated under (MTA) Long Island Bus owned by Nassau County

From #1840~ is purchased by NICE Bus

From #1840~ is purchased by NICE Bus

I think 1840-1884 were  purcheased by the MTA, they were under order when NICE took over.  The New Flyers were purchased by NICE.

All the buses brought under the MTA were left because they were brought with Grant money that stated that they had to be used in Nassau County. Or at least that's what I remember hearing.