Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot the s21 was a SCT bus...the Sunrise Mall-WW Mall route eliminated because of low ridership

I'm not sure what the reason for the S21 elimination was.  All I know was that i heard that it was shown on a Nassau system map in the early 80's and then on the next map a few years later it was gone. It could have been eliminated because of low ridership or it may have been eliminated because it paralleled the S1 for alot of it's journey. (There was another route, Coram Bus Service's original route from Port Jefferson Plaza to Smith Haven Mall Via Saint James and Stony Brook, that was axed partly do to ridership and partly do to it paralleling the S60, which was itself created from three separate routes. I'm not sure what the route number was for that short carried route but from what I heard it was in the 90's.)

I'm not sure what the reason for the S21 elimination was.  All I know was that i heard that it was shown on a Nassau system map in the early 80's and then on the next map a few years later it was gone. It could have been eliminated because of low ridership or it may have been eliminated because it paralleled the S1 for alot of it's journey. (There was another route, Coram Bus Service's original route from Port Jefferson Plaza to Smith Haven Mall Via Saint James and Stony Brook, that was axed partly do to ridership and partly do to it paralleling the S60, which was itself created from three separate routes. I'm not sure what the route number was for that short carried route but from what I heard it was in the 90's.)

S64

It was the original route # & was today's S56, running from Commack to Pt. Jeff. Sta. via St. James & Stony Brook via Lake Ave & 25A.

When did it run to Commack? 

I never heard that it ran to/from Commack from what I've been heard. And I've heard about it from two former riders and Newspaper articles where the route is mentioned and it's never mentioned that it went to Commack. The News paper articles are from the 70's, as there was a big brew ha-ha, between Coram Bus Service and SUNY Stony Brook's student body over a bus line to Smith Haven Mall to the College with a stop at a local Supermarket, that directly says that the route to Port Jefferson Sta went from there to Smith Haven Mall, with not mention of Commack, so the best I can say is if it went to Commack the route was changed sometime by the early to mid 70's. 

The copy I have of the 1969 bus map I have on my computer is of no help, as it's to small to make out the route identifiers the companies used back then, also I don't think it was done to scale. and makes it look like there were two different routes that went through Saint James at the time.

Edited by mac5689

Saw 2 NICE Orion Vs being towed on the westbound LIE around exit 29 today. Anyone know where they were headed?

That is interesting. Because if they were heading east out of Nassau County, they would most likely be going to the Diesel facility in Ronkonkoma like Joel said. If they were heading into south Nassau being towed on a different road, they could have just been scrapped and were going to Cedar Creek to be auctioned off. Did you catch the numbers? There was a set of buses just auctioned off and sold in January, so maybe the buyer was finally towing some of them out? Not entirely sure.

There's a Detroit Diesel facility in Ronkonkoma, but what would they do for now 13 year old buses?

He said being towed on the westbound LIE at exit 29 which would mean they were in Queens heading into the city. That's assuming it really was westbound.

That is interesting. Because if they were heading east out of Nassau County, they would most likely be going to the Diesel facility in Ronkonkoma like Joel said. If they were heading into south Nassau being towed on a different road, they could have just been scrapped and were going to Cedar Creek to be auctioned off. Did you catch the numbers? There was a set of buses just auctioned off and sold in January, so maybe the buyer was finally towing some of them out? Not entirely sure.

He said being towed on the westbound LIE at exit 29 which would mean they were in Queens heading into the city. That's assuming it really was westbound.

You're correct. They were in Queens on the Manhattan-bound side. I couldn't catch the numbers because I was driving on the opposite side.

There's a Detroit Diesel facility in Ronkonkoma, but what would they do for now 13 year old buses?

Detroit Diesel isn't at Ronkonkoma anymore. They left a few years ago and the location was taken over by Cummins. 

Edited by mac5689

When did it run to Commack? 

I never heard that it ran to/from Commack from what I've been heard. And I've heard about it from two former riders and Newspaper articles where the route is mentioned and it's never mentioned that it went to Commack. The News paper articles are from the 70's, as there was a big brew ha-ha, between Coram Bus Service and SUNY Stony Brook's student body over a bus line to Smith Haven Mall to the College with a stop at a local Supermarket, that directly says that the route to Port Jefferson Sta went from there to Smith Haven Mall, with not mention of Commack, so the best I can say is if it went to Commack the route was changed sometime by the early to mid 70's. 

The copy I have of the 1969 bus map I have on my computer is of no help, as it's to small to make out the route identifiers the companies used back then, also I don't think it was done to scale. and makes it look like there were two different routes that went through Saint James at the time.

The S64 (today's S56) used to run from Commack(at Commack Corners shopping center) to Port Jeff. Sta. Before Smithaven Mall was built,it turned left onto Lake Ave to 25A. After the mall opened,it was extended there, then backtracked to Lake Ave. This was an old Coram Bus route that started in the 1950's. They also had a Coram-Smithtown route,but don't know much about that one.

The S64 (today's S56) used to run from Commack(at Commack Corners shopping center) to Port Jeff. Sta. Before Smithaven Mall was built,it turned left onto Lake Ave to 25A. After the mall opened,it was extended there, then backtracked to Lake Ave. This was an old Coram Bus route that started in the 1950's. They also had a Coram-Smithtown route,but don't know much about that one.

Probably 1958 or later, or at least that's when it had probably started running under the Coram name, since Coram Bus Service was incorporated in 1958. 

The 1969 map from what I can tell doesn't support that routeing, the 1969 map has what the route making a right off Lake Ave towards Commack, then there is a second line coming from Commack following part of the current S56 however it turns left at some point and passes by the Saint James RR station before heading straight for where it seems to be Smith Haven Mall would be.  

The 1969 map shows a route going to St. James RR from what looks like Sayville. (I can't only clearly make out the line up to Lake Ronkonkoma, but there is a line that comes up to Lake Ronkonkoma from Sayville.) 

So where macys stands todayexisted way before SHMall..can imagine the s64 using GM new look fishbowls, ..so the run the s64 made is a fusion of the s56 and s60...but the s62 runs that trajectory from SH Mall to Pt. Jeff. RR via nys 347

Smith Haven Mall opened in 1969. 

The S62 wasn't run by Coram at that time and had only, to my knowledge, gone to Port Jefferson Sta. I'm not sure when it was extended to Hauppauge.

Also it's not really the same trajectory, NYS 347 is a straight shoot from Port Jefferson Sta to Smith Haven Mall. the S60 travels on NYS 25A which has alot of twists and turns and 

Edited by mac5689

The s62 route is super long i mean a driver can finish its days work with two roundtrips (Happauge- Riverhead)...it is clearly that the Riverhead- Pt. Jeff trajectory is historical for the s62...the Hauppauge extension came afterwards much after possibly the office buildings opened over there and many offenders are carless. ..so the s62 was extended to benefit the users from Hauppauge to Port Jefferson with the latter considered the checkpoint of the s62 (much Coram is to the s58 the 3rd longest bus route of SCT) ...the s62 gets most of itspassengers between smith haven mall andMount Sinai. ..both times i took the s62 very few passengers take the s62 from/ to Hauppauge but it is kept for service coverage

Forgot that nys 25A existed sorry

The s62 route is super long i mean a driver can finish its days work with two roundtrips (Happauge- Riverhead)...it is clearly that the Riverhead- Pt. Jeff trajectory is historical for the s62...the Hauppauge extension came afterwards much after possibly the office buildings opened over there and many offenders are carless. ..so the s62 was extended to benefit the users from Hauppauge to Port Jefferson with the latter considered the checkpoint of the s62 (much Coram is to the s58 the 3rd longest bus route of SCT) ...the s62 gets most of itspassengers between smith haven mall andMount Sinai. ..both times i took the s62 very few passengers take the s62 from/ to Hauppauge but it is kept for service coverage

Forgot that nys 25A existed sorry

Not sure about how SBC does their scheduling, however under CBS Lines a S62 could do up to three round trips. The first S62 out of Port Jefferson Sta, weeksdays (6:00 am) did three round trip, plus the short trip of Port Jefferson Sta. to Riverhead and a short trip from Hauppauge to Port Jefferson Sta, where they were relieved. 

The S62 use to get most of it's passengers from Smith Haven Mall heading to Riverhead and most likely from Riverhead to Smith Haven Mall, which is why Suffolk extended the S58 to Riverhead. The S62 use to be quite full before the S58 extension heading out towards Riverhead and reverse. The S62 use to carry a hand full of passengers to Hauppauge but not like the numbers it carried to Riverhead.

I really don't think that ' Gets most of it's passengers between Smith Haven Mall and Mount Sinai', the few times I've been on the S62 a few years ago, nobody got on or off around the Port Jefferson Sta/Mt. Sinai and that was around mid-day. In fact I was the ONLY person getting off at Port Jefferson Sta.  

The Hauppauge Service is kept because it's needed for those who have to get to the New York State and County offices that are there that come from the east, as there are only two routes that go to Hauppage from the east part of Suffolk and the S62 is the ONLY one of those two that serves a handful of the important ones.  Back in the late 90's my mother had to take the S62 to the NYS Department of Labor office in Hauppage, which the S62 serves and therefore was a one seat ride. In 2000 my mom had to go back, we had recently moved and because of that she had to take two buses to get there. One to the State Building and then she had to transfer either to the S62, S33, or S27 to get to the Department of Labor. 

The S62 in Hauppauge serves a purpose, just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it exists. 

Probably 1958 or later, or at least that's when it had probably started running under the Coram name, since Coram Bus Service was incorporated in 1958. 

The 1969 map from what I can tell doesn't support that routeing, the 1969 map has what the route making a right off Lake Ave towards Commack, then there is a second line coming from Commack following part of the current S56 however it turns left at some point and passes by the Saint James RR station before heading straight for where it seems to be Smith Haven Mall would be.  

The 1969 map shows a route going to St. James RR from what looks like Sayville. (I can't only clearly make out the line up to Lake Ronkonkoma, but there is a line that comes up to Lake Ronkonkoma from Sayville.) 

Smith Haven Mall opened in 1969. 

The S62 wasn't run by Coram at that time and had only, to my knowledge, gone to Port Jefferson Sta. I'm not sure when it was extended to Hauppauge.

Also it's not really the same trajectory, NYS 347 is a straight shoot from Port Jefferson Sta to Smith Haven Mall. the S60 travels on NYS 25A which has alot of twists and turns and 

The route(s) you're mentioning from Sayville were run originally by Utility Lines. There was a Sayville-Ronkonkoma & a Patchogue-Centereach-Ronkonkoma(which was taken over, I believe by Holbrook Transp) which is pretty much today's S63 route bet. Patchogue & Smithaven.

The route(s) you're mentioning from Sayville were run originally by Utility Lines. There was a Sayville-Ronkonkoma & a Patchogue-Centereach-Ronkonkoma(which was taken over, I believe by Holbrook Transp) which is pretty much today's S63 route bet. Patchogue & Smithaven.

Utility Lines also had a route from E. Islip to Central Islip (part of today's 3C route).