Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Well the Rockville Centre Shuttle/n14 routing is slightly different than the old routing. I still don't see it how that change will help gain more riders though.

As for the n17, now that Mercy is the only intermediate stop between Hempstead and Rockville Centre, I don't see why it shouldn't take Peninsula Blvd to Franklin St instead of the Graham Avenue/Franklin Street routing.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the Rockville Centre Shuttle/n14 routing is slightly different than the old routing. I still don't see it how that change will help gain more riders though.

As for the n17, now that Mercy is the only intermediate stop between Hempstead and Rockville Centre, I don't see why it shouldn't take Peninsula Blvd to Franklin St instead of the Graham Avenue/Franklin Street routing.

NICE probably doesn't want the n17 to be delayed by the left turn signal on Franklin and Peninsula, or the other traffic signals between Franklin and Scyamore on Peninusla.

It covers the north side of the tracks instead of traveling down the auto-centric Sunrise Highway (which is already a block away from the n4 anyway). It won't gain many riders, but it will likely gain a few.

It covers the north side of the tracks instead of traveling down the auto-centric Sunrise Highway (which is already a block away from the n4 anyway). It won't gain many riders, but it will likely gain a few.

While that's true, I think it was better off not being revived. Besides the elderly, the walk is not so difficult to make. The n62, n51, and n80 should've remained discontinued, and those funds should've rather went to restoring other service, like perhaps the n50, and the off peak n73 (and then the rest going towards maintenance).

So these are the NEW buses that will be running on the very NEW Rockville Centre and the NEW Mercy Medical Center shuttles. Or the n14 and n17. Very sneaky of them, because clearly, they are not new services.

The Rockville Community Shuttle

This is a new service designed to serve the heart of Rockville Centre. The area will be serviced by a NEW 30 foot vehicle and will run in a loop formation. The shuttle will run peak weekday service: Buses will run approximately every 20 minutes from 6-9 am, and from 3:30 pm – 7 pm Monday thru Friday.  The shuttle will service central RVC along Lakeview Ave, Maple Ave, Brower Ave, and N. Long Beach Road.

Mercy Medical Center Community Shuttle This is a new service designed to connect Mercy Medical Center with Hempstead and Rockville Centre. We have worked with Mercy to develop the best schedule for both hospital staff and patients. The area will be serviced by a 30 foot vehicle and will run in a loop formation. The shuttle will run peak weekday service:  Buses will run approximately every 40 minutes from 6 am – 9 am and 3 pm – 7 pm Monday thru Friday.  Buses will travel to/from Rockville Centre LIRR and Hempstead Transit Center along Peninsula Blvd and Hempstead Avenue, making stops at Mercy Hospital.

shuttle-1.png

I was hoping for MiDi's, oh well...

I was at Hempstead Transit Center this afternoon & I was wondering, does the "RT Destination ETA" electronic signs ever work? Oh yeah, Orion Vll NG CNG #1752 & #1833 still has the " (MTA) Long Island Bus", even though they covered it over, I could still see it, just like the NICE able-ride vans that still has the (MTA) logo covered.

HTC_zpsxpztbiwk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

NICE drivers routinely see the LIRR train pulling in, and these drivers deliberately shut the door as LIRR passengers are running to the bus.  Even if riders bang on the door of the bus, the drivers don't care.  A super-busy railroad hub just a couple of years ago (that had high bus ridership) now has only a few passengers left who bother to wait for the bus.  LIRR passengers won't put up with this crap of NICE bus.  They take a cab, drive, or car-pool to their final destination after getting off the LIRR.  If NICE doesn't clean up its act and direct its bus drivers to WAIT for the LIRR train, everyone at NICE is going to be out of a job. Ridership keeps going down and down and down at NICE bus. 

The answer is very simple:  Tell the driver to wait for the LIRR train that he sees is pulling in.  And if that driver sees the train arriving and chooses to pull away, that driver should be fired. 

Edited by RtrainBlues

NICE drivers routinely see the LIRR train pulling in, and these drivers deliberately shut the door as LIRR passengers are running to the bus.  Even if riders bang on the door of the bus, the drivers don't care.  A super-busy railroad hub just a couple of years ago (that had high bus ridership) now has only a few passengers left who bother to wait for the bus.  LIRR passengers won't put up with this crap of NICE bus.  They take a cab, drive, or car-pool to their final destination after getting off the LIRR.  If NICE doesn't clean up its act and direct its bus drivers to WAIT for the LIRR train, everyone at NICE is going to be out of a job. Ridership keeps going down and down and down at NICE bus. 

The answer is very simple:  Tell the driver to wait for the LIRR train that he sees is pulling in.  And if that driver sees the train arriving and chooses to pull away, that driver should be fired. 

How many LIRR riders do I know who use the bus?  Do you really think a driver who's already under pressure to maintain the closest thing to timeliness NICE knows is going to wait for a train?  Not even LIB timed non-shuttles to meet the LIRR.

The thing is that transfers to/from the LIRR have always been a relatively small part of NICE ridership. You have routes like the ones to Queens where a lot of people specifically use them for the purpose of avoiding the LIRR's high fares, and then a lot of routes where people use them as a one-seat ride or to transfer to/from the other NICE routes.

I do agree that B/Os (especially on infrequent routes) should make the effort to wait for connecting passengers.

How many LIRR riders do I know who use the bus?  Do you really think a driver who's already under pressure to maintain the closest thing to timeliness NICE knows is going to wait for a train?  Not even LIB timed non-shuttles to meet the LIRR.

He has a point: If the passengers are banging on the door, then clearly it would be a benefit to the passengers overall if that particular operator would wait for the LIRR train.

I'll say this...

At Mineola at least, while b/o's won't idle to wait for a particular train (after having already picked up waiting pax at the bus stop), I see no evidence of b/o's deliberately closing doors in running passengers faces.....

Now that NICE has those 30 foot Buses, can they use it to fix the n20? I was hoping that the 20h can be converted into a shuttle that runs between Hicksville and NYIT while the 20G be renumbered into the n20 and runs between C.W.Post and Flushing.

Now that NICE has those 30 foot Buses, can they use it to fix the n20? I was hoping that the 20h can be converted into a shuttle that runs between Hicksville and NYIT while the 20G be renumbered into the n20 and runs between C.W.Post and Flushing.

I wonder why don't they make them run on the n48 shuttle. It could be ran as one route too, from Jericho to Wantagh, since they would both run during the same general time periods.

The n20H has a lot of ridership during the late midday periods when classes end. I've been on buses where the bus was SRO by the time the bus got to SUNY Old Westbury and picked up riders. During weekend hours though, it obviously makes more sense to run such buses. However, given interlining patterns, IDK if that is going to be feasible, since some n20H buses as it is turn into n20G buses. All that would do is change where the bus turns into an n20G in some cases. 

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

I wonder why don't they make them run on the n48 shuttle. It could be ran as one route too, from Jericho to Wantagh, since they would both run during the same general time periods.

The n20H has a lot of ridership during the late midday periods when classes end. I've been on buses where the bus was SRO by the time the bus got to SUNY Old Westbury and picked up riders. During weekend hours though, it obviously makes more sense to run such buses. However, given interlining patterns, IDK if that is going to be feasible, since some n20H buses as it is turn into n20G buses. All that would do is change where the bus turns into an n20G in some cases. 

The Jericho to Wantagh shuttle would be an extended variation of the n73, not the 48. But yeah, they really need to do something about that Jericho Quad Shuttle. It sounds like the n20H needs some help around that  area, I really wish that the n78, or 80/81 could go up and help the n20 at the colleges. Ah. How's the n20G doing in comparison?

in that case what's the point of the N20G/H then 

in that case what's the point of the N20G/H then 

Because it's not all of them that interline. Only certain ones do, at times when it won't impact reliability as much (instead of every single bus running through Great Neck and continuing eastbound or westbound).

Plus, depending on the time, you might be able to save time because you can skip the Great Neck loop. Yuki posted a video of riders who saved a few minutes by doing so, and I myself ended up saving time doing that too (the n21 I was on was supposed to turn into the 6:30pm n20G, but my friend and I got off at Middle Neck Road and caught the n20G that departed at 6:15pm)

I still feel that the n17 would gain some ridership if it was extended to Roosevelt Field. I don't buy the Mercy people's claim that the n17 will work if it ran frequently between the terminal and the hospital.