Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those January cuts should've been allowed to happen. All of the shuttles aren't really needed nowadays, most people living in Nassau are traveling to/from the city, or the Hub area. Bus service south of Hicksville is hard to maintain with Briarcliffe closing, and Sunrise Mall not being a massive trip generator anymore.

Edited by NY1635

Is NICE bus trying to survive as a company and make money (thus prioritizing the important routes)?  Or are they trying to run buses out in the middle of nowhere (like the N62 Freeport shuttle) that hardly anyone uses, even if doing so will help put them out of business?  It boggles the mind why they wouldn't make common sense cuts in January that affect hardly anyone.

Is NICE bus trying to survive as a company and make money (thus prioritizing the important routes)? Or are they trying to run buses out in the middle of nowhere (like the N62 Freeport shuttle) that hardly anyone uses, even if doing so will help put them out of business? It boggles the mind why they wouldn't make common sense cuts in January that affect hardly anyone.

It was the committee that voted against the cuts because they wanted to save the shuttles. NICE wanted to save the well utilized routes and get rid of the low ridership ones like the n51,n80/81, and apparently the n19

Gotcha. It's just sad and depressing what the Nassau bus network is facing. Honest opinion, if the right people were running Nassau county. The (MTA) would be fully invested.

Yes, Nassau not wanting to properly fund it's system is the problem but the (MTA) is not the answer they charge more than Transdev and are able to offer less service for it.

It's sad to see "low ridership" routes on the chopping block, public transit isn't meant to fund itself, if this was the case NY and federal governments would give zero funding to Nassau and Suffolk transportation and give it all to higher ridership routes in the city. 

During times like this I think the transit systems should "take from from the rich and give to the poor" and take a bus or two from a busy line and put it on a low ridership route.  There is no reason a bus should run every ten minutes in Brooklyn while someone in Nassau or Suffolk has to walk miles in the freezing cold or pay $100/week to take a cab if they want to keep their job.  Shouldn't we take one of those buses an hour and put it on a line that is on the chopping block for NICE or SCT?  I know I know, they are separate systems but I think you see the bigger picture I am talking about.

From the image in the post above (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114577165@N06/31406339881/) the n88 has a $6.55/rider subsidy.

"n19 Freeport  Babylon"?  When did the n19 start going to Babylon again?

1965 is an XN40 smh... Looks like an able ride vehicle just stretched out. It looks nice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I agree, I love the livery!  I've been waiting and hoping a long time they'd switch the blue and orange (I even mentioned it here), the old mostly orange livery was getting kinda stale (and if they order all buses like this it will be easy to spot new buses).

Edited by Burrstone

"n19 Freeport Babylon"? When did the n19 start going to Babylon again?

I agree, I love the livery! I've been waiting and hoping a long time they'd switch the blue and orange (I even mentioned it here), the old mostly orange livery was getting kinda stale (and if they order all buses like this it will be easy to spot new buses).

The orange especially looks disgusting when it fades away like many of the 1700s already have. Hopefully the blue diminishes that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk