Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Yes, Nassau not wanting to properly fund it's system is the problem but the (MTA) is not the answer they charge more than Transdev and are able to offer less service for it.

It's sad to see "low ridership" routes on the chopping block, public transit isn't meant to fund itself, if this was the case NY and federal governments would give zero funding to Nassau and Suffolk transportation and give it all to higher ridership routes in the city. 

During times like this I think the transit systems should "take from from the rich and give to the poor" and take a bus or two from a busy line and put it on a low ridership route.  There is no reason a bus should run every ten minutes in Brooklyn while someone in Nassau or Suffolk has to walk miles in the freezing cold or pay $100/week to take a cab if they want to keep their job.  Shouldn't we take one of those buses an hour and put it on a line that is on the chopping block for NICE or SCT?  I know I know, they are separate systems but I think you see the bigger picture I am talking about.

People on the n6 would flip out if a bus was taken from their route to be put on a low ridership route like the n19, n36, or even the n80/81 since it means longer waits at HTC or Queens because it means less service for them and more crowded buses.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Nassau not wanting to properly fund it's system is the problem but the (MTA) is not the answer they charge more than Transdev and are able to offer less service for it.

It's sad to see "low ridership" routes on the chopping block, public transit isn't meant to fund itself, if this was the case NY and federal governments would give zero funding to Nassau and Suffolk transportation and give it all to higher ridership routes in the city. 

During times like this I think the transit systems should "take from from the rich and give to the poor" and take a bus or two from a busy line and put it on a low ridership route.  There is no reason a bus should run every ten minutes in Brooklyn while someone in Nassau or Suffolk has to walk miles in the freezing cold or pay $100/week to take a cab if they want to keep their job.  Shouldn't we take one of those buses an hour and put it on a line that is on the chopping block for NICE or SCT?  I know I know, they are separate systems but I think you see the bigger picture I am talking about.

If you take 1 bus per hourfrom a bus route that runs every 10 minutes and is packed, that means that the wait time goes to 12 minutes, but if it results in more flagging, that means the wait times might go to 24 minutes (assuming buses are actually running on-time). 

In April if n19, n79, n80/81 buses eliminated along with Suffolk County potion of n54/55, n71/72 eliminated, there will be no more connecting between Suffolk County Transit Bus and HART Bus, well as no more connection between Able-Ride and SCAT/HART Paratransit.

People will be coughting up $3 for LIRR and $2.25 for SCT/HART Buses.

In April if n19, n79, n80/81 buses eliminated along with Suffolk County potion of n54/55, n71/72 eliminated, there will be no more connecting between Suffolk County Transit Bus and HART Bus, well as no more connection between Able-Ride and SCAT/HART Paratransit.

People will be coughting up $3 for LIRR and $2.25 for SCT/HART Buses.

I've seen people who take the n80/81 complain more about having to walk from Hicksville LIRR to their jobs in Bethpage if the route's eliminated when they post messages on NICE's Facebook Page. The one time that I was out in SE Nassau, I remember seeing the n80 entering and leaving Westfield Sunrise completely empty.

Took NCIE for the first time in a year and a half.  I got to ride the new buses.  The interior isn't that bad but the rear is kind of cramped in between the rear and those inward-facing seats.  The ride is also kind of rough compared to the Orions.

Hmmmm...NICE must have more of a tight configuration.  Our Xcelsiors have 2 2x2 rows once "up top", then 2 inward-facing over the wheels each side, and the back 5-row.  The wheel seats are a *little* bit tighter than on the D40LFs, but nothing too drastic (and the same configuration is used on those as well).

The SMART Gilligs have 3-seat over the wheels (same 2 2x2s on top), and those cramp anyone sitting on the back row.  Not to mention everyone touching legs if a fully seated load, and then crawling over each other to exit.

Edited by DetSMART45

N51 should never be brought back anyways especially the way it is ran now. Midays only which is useless for any commuter.

I believe that the n51 could work, though I feel it could've used one of the smaller buses for it's routing.

It's terrible to see the old NGs in such terrible shape.  Slipping transmissions, squealing belts, everything short of one catching on fire, I've seen or heard it.  When I rode the N20G back to Long Island at the end of December, I caught 1684.  It was painfully slow, but the interior held up well after over a decade, the exterior (and interior) signs worked fine, the heat worked just fine, and the drivetrain sounded healthy.  If it was washed and polished inside and out, I probably wouldn't have known that it was an older bus.

Edited by Joel Up Front

I found this video from subchat.

Judging by the video, I think we can assume that all proposed January cuts will be made in April, as well as most of the other cuts proposed for April.

Still don't know how the n35 north of Hempstead is a lower priority to preserve when compared to the n26 and n57...

Judging by the video, I think we can assume that all proposed January cuts will be made in April, as well as most of the other cuts proposed for April.

Still don't know how the n35 north of Hempstead is a lower priority to preserve when compared to the n26 and n57...

Pretty much. I believe the n35 north of Hemsptead is being eliminated because there's plenty of alternatives to Roosevelt Field and NCC in the form of the n15, n16, and n27. If people at HTC aren't taking the n35, then those three routes are usually their back up. I can't say the same for the North Shore, mostly because there's barely any buses that run up there. The n26 and the n57 are pretty much necessary for area coverage, the poor n20 and n25 can only do so much.

Pretty much. I believe the n35 north of Hemsptead is being eliminated because there's plenty of alternatives to Roosevelt Field and NCC in the form of the n15, n16, and n27. If people at HTC aren't taking the n35, then those three routes are usually their back up. I can't say the same for the North Shore, mostly because there's barely any buses that run up there. The n26 and the n57 are pretty much necessary for area coverage, the poor n20 and n25 can only do so much.

However, with the n35 and n6x midday trips gone, this leaves the n16 as the only NCC-Hempstead route left at many points of the day... and who knows if they're going to gut the n6x to NCC completely, since they'll likely have to go deeper than originally considered?

That could be quite the disaster.

However, with the n35 and n6x midday trips gone, this leaves the n16 as the only NCC-Hempstead route left at many points of the day... and who knows if they're going to gut the n6x to NCC completely, since they'll likely have to go deeper than originally considered?

That could be quite the disaster.

At worse, the n16 will be packed between HTC and the Student Union building just like it was in LIB days if the cuts happen. NICE has done all that they could with the n16x, n43 to Hempstead, and the n6x to NCC but the County just doesn't want to fork over the money necessary to keep the n35 to Westbury or any of the routes up for elimination from being cut.

At worse, the n16 will be packed between HTC and the Student Union building just like it was in LIB days if the cuts happen. NICE has done all that they could with the n16x, n43 to Hempstead, and the n6x to NCC but the County just doesn't want to fork over the money necessary to keep the n35 to Westbury or any of the routes up for elimination from being cut.

The n16, however, lacks the HTC-Roosevelt Field short turns that operated before April 2012 (when the n43 was extended to Hempstead).

Those short turns nearly ALWAYS flagged DSS and it wasn't made any easier when that elementary school on Jackson let out.  I remember a few MTA B/O's refused to move the bus after the Student Union unless everyone moved all the way back; this was well before the NGs were the basis of the fleet.  (To be a smartass?  I'd always stand ALL the way in the back, on the right, so the B/O couldn't say anything to me).  When the weather got better one year, I started walking to Bradley Hall and taking the N35, which avoided the schools and all the buildings and would more likely than not make it to HTC before the N16.  I don't even want to imagine it now under NICE.

Those short turns nearly ALWAYS flagged DSS and it wasn't made any easier when that elementary school on Jackson let out.  I remember a few MTA B/O's refused to move the bus after the Student Union unless everyone moved all the way back; this was well before the NGs were the basis of the fleet.  (To be a smartass?  I'd always stand ALL the way in the back, on the right, so the B/O couldn't say anything to me).  When the weather got better one year, I started walking to Bradley Hall and taking the N35, which avoided the schools and all the buildings and would more likely than not make it to HTC before the N16.  I don't even want to imagine it now under NICE.

The n16 is less crowded under NICE due to the n6x serving NCC during school semester and the n35 to Westbury. The n35 is still the fastest while the n6x and n16 usually arrive about a few minutes apart from each other at Student Union.