Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

There is a need to have different numbers for the short turn and it's to avoid confusion. The n72 already terminates at Conklin and Route 110 in Farmingdale when it's not going to Babylon, while the n70 has to travel north on 110 to reach Famingdale State University.

I still don't see why this route is so special that the short-turn needs its own number. None of the other routes have them, so why is this any different? If service is truncated to route 110, the short-turn and the full route will both terminate in Farmingdale. If they were serving different sections then fine, but the n72 would become an n70 short-turn at all (there's no unique section to the 72 at all, it's just a copy of the n70).

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't see why this route is so special that the short-turn needs its own number. None of the other routes have them, so why is this any different? If service is truncated to route 110, the short-turn and the full route will both terminate in Farmingdale. If they were serving different sections then fine, but the n72 would become an n70 short-turn at all (there's no unique section to the 72 at all, it's just a copy of the n70).

Except for the fact that the n72 runs seven days a week while the n70 is a weekday only route. The n70 exists mostly as a branch of the n72, not the other way around. The n72 to Farmingdale Route 110 currently exists as a short turn for the n72 itself when it doesn't go to Babylon, not for the n70.

Edited by NY1635

Hopefully if the n72 is eliminated, SCT would run some route out to either the Farmingdale LIRR station or Farmingdale State College. 

Suffolk already has two full time routes and one part time route that serve Farmingdale State College. S1, 2B, and S110 (Rush Hour). Not to mention the S31 (Rush Hour) which doesn't directly serve the college but travels near it. Why would they need to have another? 

Also Suffolk wouldn't probably have the money to add service, even if they did, they would, and riders would probably demand it, that the 10 routes that were cut back in October be reinstated before taken over any service NICE decides to cut.

Setzer wrote a letter to the Legislature:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nice-letters-to-nassau-legislators-1.13042137

I'm pleased to report to you that we have found ways to offset the $5 million in cost increases. It will involve painful actions like closing a facility, layoffs, forgoing merit increases, and other steps [including MTA fare hike] that will pose some challenges. The responsibility for bringing all those savings to reality will be Transdev's.

Signs have been seen on buses advertising hearings at 3pm and 6pm on Feb 16.

Edited by Amtrak7

Setzer wrote a letter to the Legislature:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nice-letters-to-nassau-legislators-1.13042137

Signs have been seen on buses advertising hearings at 3pm and 6pm on Feb 16.

I can't take him seriously when he writes "NICE has been a great success".

What takes the cake (for me) is where it says "NICE has delivered on its promise of efficient systems, processes and technology to provide cost savings as well as quality service". That is later contradicted with "Over the last five years, the County's discretionary funding has been inconsistent and unpredictable, which has resulted in service increases and decreases that have been extremely frustrating to passengers who depend on transit for their mobility".

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

According to Newsday, the following routes will be eliminated on April due to the deficit in the budget: n19, n36, n45, n47, n51, n57, n78/79, Freeport, Hicksville, and Rockville Center Community shuttles.

Service will be reduced on the following routes: Elmont Flexi, n27, n70/71/72, and n80/81.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/nice-proposing-to-cut-10-routes-reduce-service-on-4-others-to-fill-6-8m-deficit-1.13042048

Advocates are also calling on the state to help fund the bus system out on Long Island.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/advocates-long-island-bus-commuters-deserve-fair-share-of-funding-1.13037783

I agree with service cut on n14, n17, n21, n6, n45, n47, n51, n73.

I don't agree with n19, n36, n78/79 cut or reduction or n27, n70/72 and n80/81.

1. n19 is needed because Bellmore,  Merrick, Seaford, Wantagh, Massapequa, Massapequa Park will have no alternative option if signal problem causes on LIRR. These people will have to walk to nearby n54/55 bus stop to Sunrise Mall to connect to S20 for Montauk Highway or take n40/41 or n43 or n71.

2. n79 cut I don't agree, because there will be no more bus service in Syosset, Woodbury, and no more connection to HART Bus/Paratransit.

3. Cutting n72 east of NYS 110 is huge mistake, on Sunday, there's no way to get to Babylon since S20 doesn't run, so only option will be S1 to Amityville for LIRR to Babylon.

4. I don't agree with n57 cut because especially late evening, deeper Great Neck doesn't have street lights.

5. I don't agree with n47 cut because that's replacing portion of discontinue n46, which was very busy during rush hour.

6. I don't agree with n45 cut.

Service cuts I agree.

1. n14 and n17. Maybe NCBTC and NICEBUs could implement n15X trips during rush hour and serve Mercy Medical Center, similar to n4X/6X, make limited-stop.

2. I agree with n21 rush hour only because n20H is losing more ridership.

Edited by FamousNYLover

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

It's more or less what we expected. The details of the "major" reductions:

-Elmont Flexi and n27 reduced to hourly

-n71 not running to Amityville (I'm not sure what this means, the route doesn't run to Amityville as is)

-n70/72 no service east of Farmingdale, might as well drop a designation (though that may be politically difficult)

-n80/81 combined and van

Edited by Amtrak7

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

It's more or less what we expected. The details of the "major" reductions:

-Elmont Flexi and n27 reduced to hourly

-n71 not running to Amityville (I'm not sure what this means, the route doesn't run to Amityville as is)

-n70/72 no service east of Farmingdale, might as well drop a designation (though that may be politically difficult)

-n80/81 combined and van

I believe they mean Sunrise Mall, which its on the border between Massapequa and Amityville. The link that you provided isn't working.

Edited by NY1635

My Recommendations N1 Bus- Service eliminated between Hewlett and Elmont                                                                                     Elmont Shuttle- Service extended to Hewlett with Hourly Service                                                                           N4- More short turns at RVC, Lynbrook.                                                                                                                                                       N6, N15, N16,N20G/H, N22,22A,22X,23,25,26,43,49- No Change                                                         RVC Shuttle, Freeport Shuttle,N19,N36,47,51 - Eliminate                                                                                                                MH Shuttle- Eliminate between Mercy and RVC,                                                                                                               N21,27- N21 Service weekday rush hour only. Service operate via Glen Cove Road. N27 Service btw Roosevelt Field and Hempstead eliminated. Service operate 60 min.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 N24- East Meadow trips Eliminated, service ends at Roosevelt Field after 7PM and Sunday (No Hicksville)                                                                                                                                                                                                                    N31,32 Most Service operate btw Lynbrook and Hempstead. Every other bus short turns at Lynbrook(N31 or N32)                                                                                                                                                                                                                     N33- Service should be transferred or eliminated                                                                                                                           N35- Runs reduced nights                                                                                                                                 N45- Service kept between Camp Av/Merrick to Rsvlt field. After Camp/Merrick operate N51 to Merrick                                                                                                                                                                                                                         N54/55 Service end at Sunrise Mall                                                                                                                            N57/N58- N57 Eliminate ,N58 Service north of Marine academy eliminated                                                                      N70/71/72- two branches N70/N71- Farmingdale SUNY, Sunrise Mall to hempstead                                                                              Hicksville shuttle- Weekday Service only                                                                                                       N80/81, N80 eliminate, n81 Weekday only van.                                                                                                                 n78/79 Service eliminated on N78 and on N79 between Woodbury Complex and WWM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Edited by Mtatransit

My Recommendations N1 Bus- Service eliminated between Hewlett and Elmont                                                                                     Elmont Shuttle- Service extended to Hewlett with Hourly Service                                                                           N4- More short turns at RVC, Lynbrook.                                                                                                                                                       N6, N15, N16,N20G/H, N22,22A,22X,23,25,26,43,49- No Change                                                         RVC Shuttle, Freeport Shuttle,N19,N36,47,51 - Eliminate                                                                                                                MH Shuttle- Eliminate between Mercy and RVC,                                                                                                               N21,27- N21 Service weekday rush hour only. Service operate via Glen Cove Road. N27 Service btw Roosevelt Field and Hempstead eliminated. Service operate 60 min.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 N24- East Meadow trips Eliminated, service ends at Roosevelt Field after 7PM and Sunday (No Hicksville)                                                                                                                                                                                                                    N31,32 Most Service operate btw Lynbrook and Hempstead. Every other bus short turns at Lynbrook(N31 or N32)                                                                                                                                                                                                                     N33- Service should be transferred or eliminated                                                                                                                           N35- Runs reduced nights                                                                                                                                 N45- Service kept between Camp Av/Merrick to Rsvlt field. After Camp/Merrick operate N51 to Merrick                                                                                                                                                                                                                         N54/55 Service end at Sunrise Mall                                                                                                                            N57/N58- N57 Eliminate ,N58 Service north of Marine academy eliminated                                                                      N70/71/72- two branches N70/N71- Farmingdale SUNY, Sunrise Mall to hempstead                                                                              Hicksville shuttle- Weekday Service only                                                                                                       N80/81, N80 eliminate, n81 Weekday only van.                                                                                                                 n78/79 Service eliminated on N78 and on N79 between Woodbury Complex and WWM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Eliminating the n1 between Hewlett and Elmont is a bad idea. Many people along Central Avenue north of Merrick depend on it to take them to the mall, or connect with the n4 or the n6 at Hempstead Turnpike. The Flexi doesn't run close to Central/Elmont Road to be an effective alternative. Plus, more folks take the n1 than the little shuttle.

I also don't understand the logic with short turning the n4 at Merrick 5 Corners or Rockville Center since there's still lots of people who need to travel east of Park Avenue to get to Baldwin and Freeport. With the n36 being eliminated, the n4 will have to run full route to Freeport.

Same goes for making the n31/32 terminate at Lynbrook. Believe it or not, lots of people take the n31/32 from Hempstead all the way down to Far Rockaway. There's always a long line of people waiting for a Hempstead bound bus right by the Library, and the Far Rock bound folks always get off by Mott and Central. Plus, there's no alternative to the n31/32 to Far Rockaway in Nassau, aside from taking the n15 down to Long Beach and then transferring to the n33 or taking the n4 and n6 all the way to Queens, then backtracking via Q113/114 because of how indirect the bus network in SE Queens is.

Edited by NY1635

Eliminating the n1 between Hewlett and Elmont is a bad idea. Many people along Central Avenue north of Merrick depend on it to take them to the mall, or connect with the n4 or the n6 at Hempstead Turnpike. The Flexi doesn't run close to Central/Elmont Road to be an effective alternative. Plus, more folks take the n1 than the little shuttle.

I also don't understand the logic with short turning the n4 at Merrick 5 Corners or Rockville Center since there's still lots of people who need to travel east of Park Avenue to get to Baldwin and Freeport. With the n36 being eliminated, the n4 will have to run full route to Freeport.

Same goes for making the n31/32 terminate at Lynbrook. Believe it or not, lots of people take the n31/32 from Hempstead all the way down to Far Rockaway. There's always a long line of people waiting for a Hempstead bound bus right by the Library, and the Far Rock bound folks always get off by Mott and Central. Plus, there's no alternative to the n31/32 to Far Rockaway in Nassau, aside from taking the n15 down to Long Beach and then transferring to the n33 or taking the n4 and n6 all the way to Queens, then backtracking via Q113/114 because of how indirect the bus network in SE Queens is.

Sorry for the N1 I mean Hewlett to Green Acres. Regarding N4. Short turning can increase reliability and save money on fuel usage. I noticed that after RVC less riders board the bus, therefore not require so many buses (both n4/n4X)(rush hours). N31/32 I assume from the demographic of the area btw Far Roc and Lynbrook those people will never step foot on a bus, but since people use it to far Rockaway from Hempstead I guess we could leave it alone Edited by Mtatransit

Suffolk already has two full time routes and one part time route that serve Farmingdale State College. S1, 2B, and S110 (Rush Hour). Not to mention the S31 (Rush Hour) which doesn't directly serve the college but travels near it. Why would they need to have another? 

Also Suffolk wouldn't probably have the money to add service, even if they did, they would, and riders would probably demand it, that the 10 routes that were cut back in October be reinstated before taken over any service NICE decides to cut.

They added an extra bus to the S20 to run the loop to replace the Suffolk portion of the n19.

2. I agree with n21 rush hour only because n20H is losing more ridership.

I don't think the n21 is seeing any reductions (surprisingly enough)

In any case, what I would personally do is eliminate the n1 south of Green Acres, eliminate the n80, eliminate all of the shuttles, and use the savings to extend a few n43 trips to Atlantic & Bayview (there's a little loop around there) to at least maintain some coverage in South Freeport. I do think at least one route should serve East Meadow aside from the N48/49 on Front Street (whether it's a restoration of the n46, or some type of n45/51 combo). 

Obviously, I do think at least the n79 should remain. The n72 I'd almost be willing to gamble that it's a strong enough route that SCT can take it over. 

I think he's saying that one bus should run from Lynbrook to Far Rockaway, and the other from Hempstead to Far Rockaway, instead of both running from Hempstead to Far Rockaway.

There's apartment buildings along Central Avenue where some people use the bus, and the n31 is also within walking distance of Inwood, which is more working-class.

My suggestions for changes...given that the financial picture only gets worse as costs rise.

-n1 eliminate Green Acres-Hewlett. Hourly off peak service. Reduce span of Jamaica service.

-n4 rush hours locals short turn at RVC / n4X make all stops FPT-RVC.

-n4X and n6X nonstop in NYC limits.

-n19 Keep.

-n20H turn back all off peak and most peak trips at Glen Cove Road or CW Post.

-n21 reroute via n27 at rush hours / eliminate at other times.

-n24 No East Meadow service

-n27 Hourly as proposed, no extra rush hour service (use n21)

-n31 Lynbrook to Far Rockaway only, rush hours only. n32 30min headway Saturdays

-n33 Transfer to City of Long Beach (like the Point Lookout route); if not possible, operate a 40 minute headway all day long using 1 bus Far Rock to the Long Beach city line.

-n35 Eliminate Westbury service. Terminate NCC when in session, else Hempstead.

-n36 Eliminate.

-n45 Eliminate.

-n46 Restore. Go down Newbridge Road to Bellmore Avenue.

-n47 Eliminate.

-n48 Eliminate Saturday service and Jericho Quad shuttle.

-n49 30-40min Saturday headway. Extend all trips to SUNY Old Westbury.

-n51 Eliminate.

-n54/55 No n54 Amityville service. All Saturday service runs n55 route through Massapequa.

-n57 Use minibus.

-n58 Eliminate north of USMMA.

-n70 No service east of SUNY Farmingdale.

-n71 No change.

-n72 No service east of Rt 110/Rt 109 (serve the shopping center there though, 7 days a week)

-n78 Eliminate.

-n79 Keep.

-n80 Eliminate.

-n81 Minibus, hourly weekdays only. Operate via n80 route to Central Avenue, then Central up to Stewart, then divert up to Bethpage LIRR, then resume regular route via Stewart Avenue south.

-n88 Not sure, there has to be some savings that can be gotten here, though. Maybe some weather clause.

-Shuttles: Eliminate Mercy, FPT, RVC. Hicksville-Wantagh remains.

-Elmont Flexi: Keep, hourly, dropping all Flex stops except for Fletcher/Dutch Broadway.

Edited by Amtrak7

Here are some ideas I had (not including the proposed April cuts):

-n1: Eliminate service to Jamaica (yes, I know the n6 gets very crowded, but when the artics come online, things should ease up a bit)

-n6: Reduce mid-day and Saturday service to every 12 minutes (perfectly feasible with the artics), possibly reduce overnight service to every 45 minutes

-n6x: Only stops at 165th St. and 179th St. in Queens

-n15: Sunday service every 30 minutes instead of every 20 minutes

-n20H: Every other trip begins/ends at CW Post

-n23: Weekday service reduced to every 40 minutes mid-day

-n24: No service to East Meadow

-n31/32: Combined Saturday frequency reduced to every 30 minutes

-n33: Transfer service to the City of Long Beach

-n48/49: Eliminate Jericho Quad service on the n48, as well as reducing Saturday frequencies to every 40 minutes combined

-n54/55: Eliminate service between Sunrise Mall and Amityville and reduce Saturday frequencies to every 40 minutes combined

-n58: No service north of the Merchant Marine Academy

Here are some ideas I had (not including the proposed April cuts):

-n1: Eliminate service to Jamaica (yes, I know the n6 gets very crowded, but when the artics come online, things should ease up a bit)

-n6: Reduce mid-day and Saturday service to every 12 minutes (perfectly feasible with the artics), possibly reduce overnight service to every 45 minutes

-n15: Sunday service every 30 minutes instead of every 20 minutes

-n20H: Every other trip begins/ends at CW Post

-n23: Weekday service reduced to every 40 minutes mid-day

-n24: No service to East Meadow

-n31/32: Combined Saturday frequency reduced to every 30 minutes

-n33: Transfer service to the City of Long Beach

-n48/49: Eliminate Jericho Quad service on the n48, as well as reducing Saturday frequencies to every 40 minutes combined

-n54/55: Eliminate service between Sunrise Mall and Amityville and reduce Saturday frequencies to every 40 minutes combined

-n58: No service north of the Merchant Marine Academy

The stop at Hillside and 169th and Springfield/Hemsptead Ave should be kept. Lots of people get off the (F) at 169th to catch the n6 and secure their seat on the bus. Even though the n6 will have arctics, those folks will be pissed if the express were to skip those stops. The same reaction will happen overnight hours on the n6 is reduced to 45 minutes. I've seen many passengers at that particular stop feel frustrated when the city buses roll by while they wait for the n6 to show up. I've also notice some passengers at Hillside/168th also pass up the locals, so that they can catch the n6x for a faster ride home.

They added an extra bus to the S20 to run the loop to replace the Suffolk portion of the n19.

The S20 already severed the Sunrise Mall and Babylon Railroad station so extending a route was probably seen as something that was beneficial then "NICE didn't want that section of a route, lets us provide service just because it was in our county" which I took the original poster to mean.   

Also IIRC it was never officially said that the S20 extension was to 'Replace" the n19. (If it was please correct me, I also don't mean it as I'm saying it wasn't a replacement for the n19, just saying that if it wasn't officially said to be a replacement one could say that Suffolk could have always wanted the S20 to be the loop it is but just didn't do it since the n19 was there already)

Also the S20 extension was probably done with money from the previous years budget where Suffolk Transit had the money to do such a thing. It the current budget, several months later, which had the shortfall that caused Suffolk Transit to cut the ten routes. 10 Routes that more likely to be revived then to add service that someone else dropped.  

Obviously, I do think at least the n79 should remain. The n72 I'd almost be willing to gamble that it's a strong enough route that SCT can take it over. 

Or that SCT has the money to even do so to start with.

Suffolk can't just throw money it may not have, everything depends on the income of the sales tax, to spend on replacing NICE service. I mean if the income form the sales tax has gone up to the levels it was before like it was said to be happening, and assuming that Suffolk were to budget the enough for Suffolk Transit as they did in the past, and not keep it as it currently is after the October cuts, then maybe there could be a chance. However if that were to happen and they didn't bring back any of the October cuts, then they would have to JUSTIFY how creating a route based on a segment of a route that NICE abandoned is more beneficial to the system then reinstating the routes that were cut or spending the money on other system improvements. 

Taken over part of the n72 is not the same as what SCT did with the S20 as the S20 is an established route that was already served two of the same destinations as the n19. With taken over a part of the n72 they would most likely have to create a whole new route which is completely different.

I don't see how doing that really saves that much money. A few minutes of runtime maybe, but you'll probably lose most of that anyway with the increased dwell time on the locals at those major Queens stops (e.g. Springfield Blvd, etc)

The stop at Hillside and 169th and Springfield/Hemsptead Ave should be kept. Lots of people get off the (F) at 169th to catch the n6 and secure their seat on the bus. Even though the n6 will have arctics, those folks will be pissed if the express were to skip those stops. The same reaction will happen overnight hours on the n6 is reduced to 45 minutes. I've seen many passengers at that particular stop feel frustrated when the city buses roll by while they wait for the n6 to show up. I've also notice some passengers at Hillside/168th also pass up the locals, so that they can catch the n6x for a faster ride home.

Reducing service to 45 minutes would be no worse than the NYC routes that run 45 minutes overnight (many run every hour). Not saying it's fun to miss a bus and wait 45 minutes for the next one, but there's definitely cuts worse than that.

My suggestions for changes...given that the financial picture only gets worse as costs rise.

-n1 eliminate Green Acres-Hewlett. Hourly off peak service. Reduce span of Jamaica service.

-n4 rush hours locals short turn at RVC / n4X make all stops FPT-RVC.

-n19 Keep.

-n20H turn back all off peak and most peak trips at Glen Cove Road or CW Post.

-n21 reroute via n27 at rush hours / eliminate at other times.

-n24 No East Meadow service

-n27 Hourly as proposed, no extra rush hour service (use n21)

-n31 Lynbrook to Far Rockaway only, rush hours only. n32 30min headway Saturdays

-n33 Transfer to City of Long Beach (like the Point Lookout route); if not possible, operate a 40 minute headway all day long using 1 bus Far Rock to the Long Beach city line.

-n35 Eliminate Westbury service. Terminate NCC when in session, else Hempstead.

-n36 Eliminate.

-n45 Eliminate.

-n46 Restore. Go down Newbridge Road to Bellmore Avenue.

-n47 Eliminate.

-n48 Eliminate Saturday service and Jericho Quad shuttle.

-n49 30-40min Saturday headway. Extend all trips to SUNY Old Westbury.

-n51 Eliminate.

-n54/55 No n54 Amityville service. All Saturday service runs n55 route through Massapequa.

-n57 Use minibus.

-n58 Eliminate north of USMMA.

-n70 No service east of SUNY Farmingdale.

-n71 No change.

-n72 No service east of Rt 110/Rt 109 (serve the shopping center there though, 7 days a week)

-n78 Eliminate.

-n79 Keep.

-n80 Eliminate.

-n81 Minibus, hourly weekdays only. Operate via n80 route to Central Avenue, then Central up to Stewart, then divert up to Bethpage LIRR, then resume regular route via Stewart Avenue south.

-n88 Not sure, there has to be some savings that can be gotten here, though. Maybe some weather clause.

-Shuttles: Eliminate Mercy, FPT, RVC. Hicksville-Wantagh remains.

-Elmont Flexi: Keep, hourly, dropping all Flex stops except for Fletcher/Dutch Broadway.

If you need Huntington, it sounds like you'll need to take the truncated N72 to Route 110/New York Ave for the northbound S1 now.  And if you need Babylon, it sounds like you'll need to take the truncated N72 to Route 110/New York Ave for the souhbound S1 to Amityville then the S20 eastbound to Babylon.  Or just suck it up and pay the $3.00 intermediate LIRR fare.

I imagine they'll keep the N33 as otherwise it would involve a very circuitous route to go from Long Beach to Far Rockaway (N15 to N4 to N31/32), where a 30 minute trip could now take over 2 hours with missed connections and waiting time.

And it's good they're not killing the N88 beach service since it's quite popular.  Good thing they got rid of the insane N87 route that went from the beach to Hicksville.

from NICE's website

n70/71/72 Hempstead-Newsday

All n71 trips will end at Sunrise Mall.

All n70/72 trips will end at Farmingdale State University  and will not travel to Newsday or Babylon.

Just say you're eliminating the n72.... The f*** is the point of stating "all n70/72 trips" if all service would end at the college...

-----------------------

Anyway, I don't have as big of a problem as the consensus does about this change.... Intra-Suffolk ridership was never all that great on the n72 (even though usage to/from LIRR Babylon was significantly greater on the N72 than on the N19 [hence that particular cut], but that's apples & oranges)..... Before the takeover, the masses started piling on for service due west after having came off S1's anyway.... So now basically, the college is going to be more of a major xfer point (instead of folks getting off S1's @ Conklin for n72's)...

To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised they even kept the n71! They could've easily forced people to take that combined n80/81 (even with vans) out of Sunrise & have em xfer for (what would have resulted in) the sole Hempstead Tpke. route running b/w HTC & Farmingdale state college.... Not counting the mall, the route south of the trackage that connects the main line to the Babylon line, amounts to utter waste....

Just say you're eliminating the n72.... The f*** is the point of stating "all n70/72 trips" if all service would end at the college...

-----------------------

Anyway, I don't have as big of a problem as the consensus does about this change.... Intra-Suffolk ridership was never all that great on the n72 (even though usage to/from LIRR Babylon was significantly greater on the N72 than on the N19 [hence that particular cut], but that's apples & oranges)..... Before the takeover, the masses started piling on for service due west after having came off S1's anyway.... So now basically, the college is going to be more of a major xfer point (instead of folks getting off S1's @ Conklin for n72's)...

To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised they even kept the n71! They could've easily forced people to take that combined n80/81 (even with vans) out of Sunrise & have em xfer for (what would have resulted in) the sole Hempstead Tpke. route running b/w HTC & Farmingdale state college.... Not counting the mall, the route south of the trackage that connects the main line to the Babylon line, amounts to utter waste....

The n71 is being kept mostly to so service levels on Hempstead Turnpike between the Terminal and Farmingdale at 30 minutes, even though very few people stay on the 71 after 109 for the mall. As for the 72, I still have no idea what they intend to do with the route. Originally, I thought that it would be something along the lines of: n70 to Farmingdale State, n71 to Sunrise Mall, and n72 to Route 110/Conklin, but after reading the service changes I'm convinced it will just be the n70 and n71 unless NICE has something planned for the 72 that they won't reveal until the meeting on February 16th.

Edited by NY1635

The n71 is being kept mostly to so service levels on Hempstead Turnpike between the Terminal and Farmingdale at 30 minutes, even though very few people stay on the 71 after 109 for the mall. As for the 72, I still have no idea what they intend to do with the route. Originally, I thought that it would be something along the lines of: n70 to Farmingdale State, n71 to Sunrise Mall, and n72 to Route 110/Conklin, but after reading the service changes I'm convinced it will just be the n70 and n71 unless NICE has something planned for the 72 that they won't reveal until the meeting on February 16th.

But you could turn the n71 back somewhere between Farmingdale and the Mall to save money, if nobody rides down Carmans.

Either it'll be n70 SUNY / n71 Sunrise Mall / n72 Route 110 and the website is wrong, or it'll be n71 Sunrise Mall / n70-n72 SUNY. The latter would be driven only by the intent to avoid saying that a route is going to be "eliminated".

It also may overserve SUNY Farmingdale, which isn't a huge campus to begin with. Right now the AM Peak Hempstead Turnpike headway is 10 minutes. If that were kept, you'd have 5 buses per hour (in the same direction) going to SUNY Farmingdale, which isn't needed.

Now that I think of it, I agree with B35. It should be one route from Hempstead to Farmingdale, keeping the same service levels as the combined route today. It would go up 110 to the college then back down 110 at the Walmart by the airport. Every other rush hour trip and all weekend trips would go straight to the Walmart. If they wanted to maintain a Hempstead Turnpike-Sunrise Mall connection, I'd rather have it go down Merrits Road and N Broadway, covering some of the n81 route, instead of Carmans Avenue which is almost all residential.

Edited by Amtrak7

But you could turn the n71 back somewhere between Farmingdale and the Mall to save money, if nobody rides down Carmans.

Either it'll be n70 SUNY / n71 Sunrise Mall / n72 Route 110 and the website is wrong, or it'll be n71 Sunrise Mall / n70-n72 SUNY. The latter would be driven only by the intent to avoid saying that a route is going to be "eliminated".

It also may overserve SUNY Farmingdale, which isn't a huge campus to begin with. Right now the AM Peak Hempstead Turnpike headway is 10 minutes. If that were kept, you'd have 5 buses per hour (in the same direction) going to SUNY Farmingdale, which isn't needed.

Now that I think of it, I agree with B35. It should be one route from Hempstead to Farmingdale, keeping the same service levels as the combined route today. It would go up 110 to the college then back down 110 at the Walmart by the airport. Every other rush hour trip and all weekend trips would go straight to the Walmart. If they wanted to maintain a Hempstead Turnpike-Sunrise Mall connection, I'd rather have it go down Merrits Road and N Broadway, covering some of the n81 route, instead of Carmans Avenue which is almost all residential.

I still think the ideal solution for the n71 is to have it travel south on 110, then west on Oak Street and then terminate at Amityville, or follow the n54/55 from the RR station to the mall to serve the customers. It could get more passengers on 110 than it currently does on Carmans Road.

I'm not completely sold on the n71 turning off the turnpike at Merrits Road and using 81's routing because it might not attract any new riders, especially on Sunrise Highway between North Broadway and the Mall.

If you need Huntington, it sounds like you'll need to take the truncated N72 to Route 110/New York Ave for the northbound S1 now.  And if you need Babylon, it sounds like you'll need to take the truncated N72 to Route 110/New York Ave for the souhbound S1 to Amityville then the S20 eastbound to Babylon.  Or just suck it up and pay the $3.00 intermediate LIRR fare.

Or if you live near a major cross-street, take the n40/41, n43, or n81 down to the LIRR.

I still think the ideal solution for the n71 is to have it travel south on 110, then west on Oak Street and then terminate at Amityville, or follow the n54/55 from the RR station to the mall to serve the customers. It could get more passengers on 110 than it currently does on Carmans Road.

I'm not completely sold on the n71 turning off the turnpike at Merrits Road and using 81's routing because it might not attract any new riders, especially on Sunrise Highway between North Broadway and the Mall.

I think the idea is so that NICE doesn't have to run any type of service on the n80/81. Riders in North Massapequa would be able to take the n71 and then transfer to the n49 if they need to continue north to Hicksville. (Or maybe make their way to Bethpage or Farmingdale for the LIRR). 

As for running down 110, I think the idea is that NICE wants to minimize the amount of mileage within Suffolk. They'd just tell people to take the S1 to the n70. 

I'm glad they are keeping the N22A and the full N35, since the westbound N22A gets quite heavy ridership (especially at Willis/Hillside) and the N35 has heavy ridership north of Hempstead especially on days when NCC is in session.  (When you're cutting the N45 and N51 that go to NCC, you need to rely on the N16, N43 and N35 to pick up the slack now.)

If they had to make cuts, they're making cuts that affect the fewest number of people.