Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Fixed.  ;) The MTA ran the n87, and it was eliminated under NICE, then brought back, then eliminated again.

And let's not forget the last summer of the n87 in 2014, when NICE ran it Hicksville-Wantagh-Freeport-Jones Beach, scheduled for 50 minutes end to end (but probably taking much longer than that, Wantagh to Freeport nonstop takes more than 8min)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1670, 1673, 1679 & 1697 still remain. I'm not sure what others are around. I saw 1673 at Hempstead yesterday and 1670 on Monday.

Here's a pic of 1679 that I shot pretty recently about 2 weeks ago.

33658376881_e5a1d69613_k.jpgNassau Inter-County Express 2004 Orion V CNG 1679 by Shane Ramkissoon, on Flickr

TO ANYBODY WHO TOOK THE n6 TO/FROM JAMAICA

where does the bus terminate and turn around because I can't imagine it simply goes into the terminal and "reverses out"

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

But....they do go into the terminals!!........

........just kidding! :lol:

At Jamaica: On the corner of Merrick Blvd & 89th Avenue at the light.
At Hempstead: Just outside of the Transit Center. On the sidewalk/street at Jackson Street & Station Plaza. Just a few feet from where regular n6s and other buses turn out of to get onto the street.

Both of these locations have their own designated n6 bus pole.

Edited by Cait Sith

I have two questions.

1) Why is the NICE system map from April 8, 2012? It seems quite absurd for it not to have been updated in five years.

2) When were the N87 and N88 Jones Beach buses eliminated?

1. NICE is currently using the interactive system map on their website to show the changes in service and routes. They also use the paper schedules and poster to keep riders informed of the changes. It's possible that the county isn't giving them enough funding to make a physical copy of the map. There's also the issue of certain county legislators trying to resurrect dead routes to keep their constituents happy.

2. Only the n87 was eliminated, the n88 to Jones Beach is seasonal.

Some people have been saying that the artic(s) are also scheduled to run on Saturdays. For those who have been to HTC this week - is there any mention of this on the pole schedules? (if it's true, there should be, since the boarding locations are different)

Some people have been saying that the artic(s) are also scheduled to run on Saturdays. For those who have been to HTC this week - is there any mention of this on the pole schedules? (if it's true, there should be, since the boarding locations are different)

Yes they are. The artics will depart from Hempstead and Jamaica roughly every 30-40 minutes in the morning, then every hour in the afternoon. From Hempstead, the 30-40 minute headways apply from 4:50 AM to 11:00 AM, and then artics pass about every hour until 10:00 PM.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Yes they are. The artics will depart from Hempstead and Jamaica roughly every 30-40 minutes in the morning, then every hour in the afternoon. From Hempstead, the 30-40 minute headways apply from 4:50 AM to 11:00 AM, and then artics pass about every hour until 10:00 PM.

Thanks. Using that start time and the GTFS to try to find n6-only blocks that fit those time frames, this is what I came up with.

PDF link

n6%20artics.png

Edited by Amtrak7

It seems like not enough people know about the Artic stop by the Jamaica Bus Terminal. So essentially the artics leave 89th ave empty while people wait for a regular bus to show up at the terminal. Something similar probably happens in Hempstead.

Apparently, the artics don't (Cough cough) have wifi yet?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I didn't see any "NICE" specific wifi , The unlocked wifi ssid's were Xfinity, Optimum and one from time warner (on Hillside Ave). Optimum isn't usually seen in Queens so I'm not sure if they made a deal with NICE or the Wifi just isn't up yet.

Why aren't the artics loading in the drive-thru N6 loading bay in Hempstead?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7110036,-73.6240533,65m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The turn in and out of the terminal is kind of tight for a bus that long.  Not to mention all the maneuvers it would have to make trying to get in and out of the bay, and even moreso getting in and out of the terminal itself.

Edited by Joel Up Front

They still haven't updated their N6 schedule to show which buses leave from a DIFFERENT LOCATION?  This is not rocket science.  Write it in crayon if you have to and post the PDF of the crayon schedule.  They can get a 3rd grader to do it if it's too complicated for them.

Random thought:

Just saw the (tangible) timetable of the n22.... Said to myself, I thought they got rid of the n22a....

Looked a little closer (I didn't pick it up; it was on the floor) & saw a strike-through through the n22a...

How tacky; talk about lack of professionalism... Just remove the thing from the front of the timetable altogether.

Say some acquaintance were to give you a business card with 2 telephone numbers on it, with one of them crossed out (and not by hand either)... Would you patronize that business? Or take it as serious as this storefront along Church av....

Random thought:

Just saw the (tangible) timetable of the n22.... Said to myself, I thought they got rid of the n22a....

Looked a little closer (I didn't pick it up; it was on the floor) & saw a strike-through through the n22a...

How tacky; talk about lack of professionalism... Just remove the thing from the front of the timetable altogether.

Say some acquaintance were to give you a business card with 2 telephone numbers on it, with one of them crossed out (and not by hand either)... Would you patronize that business? Or take it as serious as this storefront along Church av....

Lol and the two in the front are wearing blue and red. Priceless :lol:

As for the n22A thing, I honestly thought it was just a thing on the timetable displayed on the website. That shows you how NICE decided to do this change at the very last minute. Somebody must have been fed up at NICE with constantly changing the schedules every other day. Probably trying to make a statement or something. I don't necessarily blame that person, but yeah, looks unprofessional.

I wonder if they are still giving out n1 timetables without the weekend service displayed on the timetable though. Especially since weekend service was retained like a few days before the cuts began, that timetable would cause further confusion (I think they still have it up on the NICE website).

They still haven't updated their N6 schedule to show which buses leave from a DIFFERENT LOCATION?  This is not rocket science.  Write it in crayon if you have to and post the PDF of the crayon schedule.  They can get a 3rd grader to do it if it's too complicated for them.

They should probably put an "A" on the schedule, like they put an "X" for express.

Too bad the Articulated buses can't be differentiated on the Transit App.

I wonder if they are still giving out n1 timetables without the weekend service displayed on the timetable though. Especially since weekend service was retained like a few days before the cuts began, that timetable would cause further confusion (I think they still have it up on the NICE website).

I don't think they printed up n1 timetables with weekend service. The PDF is still the weekday-only one too.

I have seen a flyers posted on certain n1 stops along Elmont Road informing riders that weekend service have been restored. It was done by the County Legislator in charge of the Valley Stream/ Elmont area because he was the one fighting to save bus service in his district.

I have seen a flyers posted on certain n1 stops along Elmont Road informing riders that weekend service have been restored. It was done by the County Legislator in charge of the Valley Stream/ Elmont area because he was the one fighting to save bus service in his district.

It is from Nassau County Legislature Carrie Solages:

17796099_10154570911112426_5995936742315

NICE Bus Update as of April 5th, 2017.

n1-Sat-corrected.JPG

n1-Sun-corrected.JPG