Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.auctionsinternational.com/auction/nassau-mta-10640-10640

According to the CPTDB wiki there are 6 remaining ex-Foothill buses and 33 remaining ex-MTA Orion V's. I would assume most of these are not seeing daily service?

Edited by Amtrak7

It won't do much, the n1 still misses the connection with the n6 to be a useful weekend route to Green Acres by a few minutes. Wouldn't be so bad if the wait for the next bus wasn't 60-90 minutes.

Edited by NY1635

The weekday flagging is getting insane especially because of the gaps in service. I rode the n6 today, we left half the line at 169 St Subway, and ran non stop to Elmont Road. I can't help but feel bad for those who couldn't board at 179th, Springfield. The line at these stops look like it could easily fill another bus, so I doubt the next bus could have room for them. Going home took the n20G, bus was full after first stop Great Neck because there is no buses btw 7:40 and 8:20PM. Again we ran non stop to the City Line, leeaving a huge line at Middle Neck Rd and other lines, waiting for the next bus 20 min later(which probably will have no room). I think NICE simply cut the runs out of the schedule instead of having uniform schedule. So instead of every 20 min, now we have buses every 20 min followed by every 40 mins. NICE could've just have a schedule that's every 30 minutes.

The weekday flagging is getting insane especially because of the gaps in service. I rode the n6 today, we left half the line at 169 St Subway, and ran non stop to Elmont Road. I can't help but feel bad for those who couldn't board at 179th, Springfield. The line at these stops look like it could easily fill another bus, so I doubt the next bus could have room for them. Going home took the n20G, bus was full after first stop Great Neck because there is no buses btw 7:40 and 8:20PM. Again we ran non stop to the City Line, leeaving a huge line at Middle Neck Rd and other lines, waiting for the next bus 20 min later(which probably will have no room). I think NICE simply cut the runs out of the schedule instead of having uniform schedule. So instead of every 20 min, now we have buses every 20 min followed by every 40 mins. NICE could've just have a schedule that's every 30 minutes.

What time did you take the n6? I've been taking the Hempstead bound bus during rush hours and usually the articulated buses picks up the folks at 169th, 179th and Springfield and those left over by the normal buses. The only trouble is that they get caught up in rush hour traffic and certain turns, like the right from Franklin to West Columbia is difficult for the drivers because of how narrow Colubmia is as a street. It could be that the riders waiting for the n6 at 165th Terminal aren't walking over to Merrick and 89th to catch the articulated out of fear that they'll miss it. That and the rush hour traffic in Queens are causing delays on the n6 and n20G, which in turn cause gaps in service.

Edited by NY1635

So, if/when the n6 becomes fully artic, will the entire route just stop outside the terminal (and the n6 bays be redistributed among the other NICE bus services).

Don't think NICE needed that many bays anymore... Buses will soon be cut even more in the future Edited by Mtatransit

Don't think NICE needed that many bays anymore... Buses will soon be cut even more in the future

The funding will depend on who's going to be County Executive this fall after Mangano leaves office. Either way, I can see Nassau politicians twisting NICE's arm to provide high level service at very low funding to keep their constituents happy.

. It could be that the riders waiting for the n6 at 165th Terminal aren't walking over to Merrick and 89th to catch the articulated out of fear that they'll miss it. That and the rush hour traffic in Queens are causing delays on the n6 and n20G, which in turn cause gaps in service.

It seems like the articulated buses leave Merrick Blvd empty, and people wait at the terminal and fill those buses up. Perhaps people should wait at 165th and Hillside just in case. There's no point waiting at the Articulated stop if they're late anyway

What time did you take the n6? I've been taking the Hempstead bound bus during rush hours and usually the articulated buses picks up the folks at 169th, 179th and Springfield and those left over by the normal buses. The only trouble is that they get caught up in rush hour traffic and certain turns, like the right from Franklin to West Columbia is difficult for the drivers because of how narrow Colubmia is as a street. It could be that the riders waiting for the n6 at 165th Terminal aren't walking over to Merrick and 89th to catch the articulated out of fear that they'll miss it. That and the rush hour traffic in Queens are causing delays on the n6 and n20G, which in turn cause gaps in service.

Took it about 3:20PM, when the Artics are not running yet ( I saw the first Artic heading to Jamaica at Elmont) at maybe about 4ish PM.

• 2 weeks later...

This would explain one of my co-workers being late because she says a bus never showed up on friday..... I wasn't paying too much attention to it & dismissed it as typical NICEbus shit....

....But when I got out on friday, the oddest thing happened - FOUR n24's (Jamaica bound) arrived at Mineola at the same time.... Literally, back, to back, to back, to back.... There were a crowd of people at bays 1 & 2, and 2 dispatcher's vehicles blocking bay 3.... As I'm sitting down waiting for the train, I'm saying to myself, I thought there were supposed to be n22's that start at Mineola, what the heck happened to them? But long story short, one of those n24's turned into a 22 & another one of those n24's turned into a 22x.... Imagine the people on those 2 buses that had to now get off the bus, to transfer to one of those other 2 n24's.....

Extreme situation, yes.... But at the same time, it's things like that why I refuse to take NICEbus... When I don't drive, I'd rather walk than take the n23 after coming off the RR in the morning.....

right now I'm watching this YT clip (of Pinepower showing a clip of someone else's "live at the scenes" footage of the apparent no-shows that took place....

(start it at 6:32 & see how long that f***in line is).... There is no way in the world I'm subjecting myself to that...

Edited by B35 via Church

You do realize that those drivers could have legitimately been sick.  While it does seem odd, it isn't uncommon for an illness to spread through a work place and cause multiple workers to be out at once. I mean would you want a driver behind the wheel who is too ill to be there.  

A1 to 2 year-old bus sounding that bad.... thats a low down dirty shame.

It's not surprising, especially with NICE's funding situation. If these breakdowns continue, NICE will need to cut frequencies (perhaps even routes) not out of budget reasons, but rather because there are just too few buses that can be on the road any single day due to breakdowns, engine trouble, and so on.

It's especially problematic because the non-New Flyer buses in the fleet are also unreliable.