Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Thanks for posting. I have to say I am still really sour about the lack of warning NICE provided about the n22A cut. The only indication was the tiny black line on the pdf schedule, which is not looked at by many people.

It's best to expect nothing good from NICE at this point.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just glad articulated trips are now marked. 

http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/NiceBus-FrontPageSlider/NICE-n6_Jun2017_v4.pdf

Does anyone have the current articulated schedule?

n6%20artics.png

Sometimes arctic bus trip doesn't show up and they used regular buses but all Artic Bus drivers using regular buses will still leave from Artic stop.

Thanks for posting. I have to say I am still really sour about the lack of warning NICE provided about the n22A cut. The only indication was the tiny black line on the pdf schedule, which is not looked at by many people.

It's all part of their plan to reduce the amount of buses running on Old Country Road between Mineola Intermodal Center and Roosevelt Field Mall. The n24's extension to Hicksville and it's tendency to arrive a few minutes behind the n22 at the major transfer points during the day most likely contributed to the decision to axe the n22A quietly.

Edited by NY1635

It's all part of their plan to reduce the amount of buses running on Old Country Road between Mineola Intermodal Center and Roosevelt Field Mall. The n24's extension to Hicksville and it's tendency to arrive a few minutes behind the n22 at the major transfer points during the day most likely contributed to the decision to axe the n22A quietly.

But I have to question that because that is not the route the n22A took. It did not impact traffic on that section except for the less than quarter mile from glen cove road to the mall entrance.

I understand why they cut it. They need to consolidate their service. However I personally feel so screwed over by NICE. At the time of the takeover from MTA, I had the n27, n23, and n22A all running by my house. The first blow was the change in the n23's permanent terminus to the Mineola Intermodal Center. Was that annoying to not have that route anymore? Yes. But I perfectly understood why. Then, this happens. No more weekend service on the n27, and no more n22A at all. I feel like I have no options anymore. Now the nearest in service bus on weekends is a 25 minute walk. Even on weekdays, the n27 is nice I guess, but the n22A is what could get me places.

And to top it all off, NICE did a horrendous job of informing people of the discontinuation of routes. The n22A signs, which btw for some reason only say n22, have now been up for three months since the discontinuation of the route, and I see no sign of them taking it down.

NICE has done the residents and workers of this county an injustice. I'm sorry I went off on this rant, it wasn't my intention, but I don't know what to do anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have to question that because that is not the route the n22A took. It did not impact traffic on that section except for the less than quarter mile from glen cove road to the mall entrance.

I understand why they cut it. They need to consolidate their service. However I personally feel so screwed over by NICE. At the time of the takeover from MTA, I had the n27, n23, and n22A all running by my house. The first blow was the change in the n23's permanent terminus to the Mineola Intermodal Center. Was that annoying to not have that route anymore? Yes. But I perfectly understood why. Then, this happens. No more weekend service on the n27, and no more n22A at all. I feel like I have no options anymore. Now the nearest in service bus on weekends is a 25 minute walk. Even on weekdays, the n27 is nice I guess, but the n22A is what could get me places.

And to top it all off, NICE did a horrendous job of informing people of the discontinuation of routes. The n22A signs, which btw for some reason only say n22, have now been up for three months since the discontinuation of the route, and I see no sign of them taking it down.

NICE has done the residents and workers of this county an injustice. I'm sorry I went off on this rant, it wasn't my intention, but I don't know what to do anymore.

I see these service cuts mostly as Nassau County government's short sighted financial decisions finally coming back to bite them. Really, it's is all on the County Legislators for claiming that they had access to a surplus that just happened to materialize a few weeks before the April cuts.

I see these service cuts mostly as Nassau County government's short sighted financial decisions finally coming back to bite them. Really, it's is all on the County Legislators for claiming that they had access to a surplus that just happened to materialize a few weeks before the April cuts.

Oh I definitely know it's the county's fault. It's their funding that has caused a lot of this. But nice hasn't been perfect either.

Each block represents a set of trips that turn for each other. Because some of these are way more than a 12 hour day, I'm assuming that these represent vehicle cycles, not driver cycles. One vehicle or driver can work multiple blocks over the course of a day (as evidenced by the one-run pieces near the bottom of the list).

Thanks! So I assume a driver works 12 hour with one lunch break in the middle.

Oh I definitely know it's the county's fault. It's their funding that has caused a lot of this. But nice hasn't been perfect either.

The n22A cut is completely unknown, there are no sign indicating it would never come at Roosevelt Field. NICE never took down the stop sign for the bus, it's confusion all around. Compared to when the (MTA) was there they would have a RED sign underneath the stop sign saying Effective Feb 12 2010, nXX is discontinued, as an alternative etc). It's one thing on not having money to run the service, it's another to be not transparent in their changes. Putting a duct tape on the stop signs ain't that hard...

The n22A cut is completely unknown, there are no sign indicating it would never come at Roosevelt Field. NICE never took down the stop sign for the bus, it's confusion all around. Compared to when the (MTA) was there they would have a RED sign underneath the stop sign saying Effective Feb 12 2010, nXX is discontinued, as an alternative etc). It's one thing on not having money to run the service, it's another to be not transparent in their changes. Putting a duct tape on the stop signs ain't that hard...

Yeah, I never understood the lack of signs within Nassau about the route, it's not like it'd have been difficult. TBH, I would've gone around and taken down the signs FOR FREE. I guess not. The only time NICE did anything like that was with the n20 split. They had nice fancy signs, that for some reason are still there after a year and a half...

n6%20artics.png

Sometimes arctic bus trip doesn't show up and they used regular buses but all Artic Bus drivers using regular buses will still leave from Artic stop.

Thanks for the info :)

Also using metrocards allows for 2 xfers right?

Edited by IAlam

Thanks for the info :)

Also using metrocards allows for 2 xfers right?

It suppose to "allow" 2 xfrs but I wouldn't count on it. The amount of times I got charged "extra" on NICE is tremondous. If your transferring to NYCT bus be prepared for the bus driver to flag you on... That's why I pay with coins these days on NICE

It suppose to "allow" 2 xfrs but I wouldn't count on it. The amount of times I got charged "extra" on NICE is tremondous. If your transferring to NYCT bus be prepared for the bus driver to flag you on... That's why I pay with coins these days on NICE

Well as long as I can get back to the city on one ride I'm all good.

Do NICE buses accept 7 and 30 day unlimited metrocards, or only the regular base fare of 2.75? I know PATH doesn't, and I need to know as I'm going to be using NICE soon. Thanks.

NICE accepts both 7 and 30 day unlimited Metrocards along with the the base fare.

During NICE Bus meeting, during Amtrak work at Penn Station, to help LIRR riders, NICE Bus is planning to expand n27 bus temporality from Glen Cove to Glen Cove Ferry Terminal to assist MTA LIRR. Also Rockville Centre Depot will be housing shuttle buses for MTA LIRR.

During NICE Bus meeting, during Amtrak work at Penn Station, to help LIRR riders, NICE Bus is planning to expand n27 bus temporality from Glen Cove to Glen Cove Ferry Terminal to assist MTA LIRR. Also Rockville Centre Depot will be housing shuttle buses for MTA LIRR.

Did they say anything about the other routes in the meeting?

I have used the two transfers and have always gotten them. But that's another shot at their consistency if you haven't.

I have used the two transfers and have always gotten them. But that's another shot at their consistency if you haven't.

Based on experience if you do N20H- N20G transfer works, if you do N20H-N20G-MTA or N20G-MTA you get double charged. If you do N6 to Hempstead- N6X Jamaica it's one fare

Based on experience if you do N20H- N20G transfer works, if you do N20H-N20G-MTA or N20G-MTA you get double charged. If you do N6 to Hempstead- N6X Jamaica it's one fare

The two transfers only works for NICE buses. So I took the n27 to the n20H to the n20G for one fare.

• 2 weeks later...