Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

When I walk on n27 bus route from Sea Cliff to Glen Cove Sunday, April 9th, all bus stops in between and not all of them had sign up indicating "No Weekend Service."

Even with n6 Artic trip clearly state at Jamaica Bus Terminal and Hempstead Transit Center, some bus riders don't seem understand A trip- Articulated Bus cannot get into bus terminal. They just wait at usual n6/6X bus stop until NICE bus dispatcher announce.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I walk on n27 bus route from Sea Cliff to Glen Cove Sunday, April 9th, all bus stops in between and not all of them had sign up indicating "No Weekend Service."

Even with n6 Artic trip clearly state at Jamaica Bus Terminal and Hempstead Transit Center, some bus riders don't seem understand A trip- Articulated Bus cannot get into bus terminal. They just wait at usual n6/6X bus stop until NICE bus dispatcher announce.

That's on the County Legislator. Soon to be ex-Legislator Solages made sure to post letters at every n1 stop notifying the people of Elmont that there will be weekend service on their route.

I doubt what you're saying is true since some of those n6 riders deliberately pass up the local buses to catch the n6x at Jamaica and Hempstead for a fast ride home.

So I just Try the Glen Cove Ferry, the ferry was full (4:30P Wall St) and ticket never collected (assuming it's free). However when I got there there was not a single sign saying that NICE Bus stops there, kinda have to save the bus down when I see it, as far as I know NOBODY took it there

So I just Try the Glen Cove Ferry, the ferry was full (4:30P Wall St) and ticket never collected (assuming it's free). However when I got there there was not a single sign saying that NICE Bus stops there, kinda have to save the bus down when I see it, as far as I know NOBODY took it there

Ferry was full? When I rode it there were only 30-ish passengers. There's no ticket collection, all they want to do is see that you posses an LIRR ticket of some type.

LIRR passengers rarely connect to the NICE Bus to begin with, so I doubt  they would use the n27 to get to the ferry at Glen Cove. It's always been transfer from a NICE bus to another NICE bus that terminates at the LIRR station for as long as I remember.

From NICE Bus: I think 4:30pm ferry might have been too early for n27.

We have extended the following n27 trips to make pick ups/drop offs at the Glen Cove Ferry during Penn Station's construction.  Buses will travel non stop between downtown Glen Cove and the ferry station at the following times.

AM Ferry Departures:

6:10 am           -no bus available

6:35 am           -the 5:15am northbound bus out of Hempstead Transit Center will arrive at the Ferry Terminal at 6:13 am

PM  Ferry Arrivals:

6:01 pm         -n27 departs the Ferry Terminal at 6:04 pm

7:01 pm         -n27 departs the Ferry Terminal at 7:04 pm

7:58 pm         -n27 departs the Ferry Terminal at 8:01 pm

From NICE Bus: I think 4:30pm ferry might have been too early for n27.

We have extended the following n27 trips to make pick ups/drop offs at the Glen Cove Ferry during Penn Station's construction.  Buses will travel non stop between downtown Glen Cove and the ferry station at the following times.[/size]AM Ferry Departures:[/size]6:10 am           -no bus available[/size]6:35 am           -the 5:15am northbound bus out of Hempstead Transit Center will arrive at the Ferry Terminal at 6:13 am[/size]PM  Ferry Arrivals:[/size]6:01 pm         -n27 departs the Ferry Terminal at 6:04 pm[/size]7:01 pm         -n27 departs the Ferry Terminal at 7:04 pm[/size]7:58 pm         -n27 departs the Ferry Terminal at 8:01 pm[/size]

4:30P departure from Wall Street so it arrived at Glen Cove around 540PM. The one at 34 St arrives at about 715~720PM

It seems like more runs to Hewlett is being cut on the n1. I wouldn't be surprised if the route gets truncated fully to Green Acres at this point.

Where do you see this? The September schedules are posted here, but I don't see any major n1 changes.

http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Customer-Advisory-Committee.aspx

The HTC-Hofstra-NCC shuttle is now the n16X.

Where do you see this? The September schedules are posted here, but I don't see any major n1 changes.

http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Customer-Advisory-Committee.aspx

The HTC-Hofstra-NCC shuttle is now the n16X.

I thought that I had spotted a change in it's schedule the first time, but it turned out to be nothing. They really have to change the format and design of the schedules, I can't shake the feeling that something's off about them.

• 2 weeks later...

NICE really needs to do something about the loads coming to/from NCC during the class change times. The fact that every day, there are people having to wait an extra 30 minutes for an n16 or n35 to Hempstead because they couldn't fit on the bus is disgusting.

NICE really needs to do something about the loads coming to/from NCC during the class change times. The fact that every day, there are people having to wait an extra 30 minutes for an n16 or n35 to Hempstead because they couldn't fit on the bus is disgusting.

Is it full full, or is there room in the back? They had the N43 extension to Hempstead a couple of years ago but for some reason people didn't want to use it

Is it full full, or is there room in the back? They had the N43 extension to Hempstead a couple of years ago but for some reason people didn't want to use it

It's now SRO between Hempstead and NCC due to the lack of alternatives. The n43 extension to Hempstead was used mainly by NCC Students. It came at the expense of the n43 being jam packed with both regular riders and the students between Roosevelt Field and the College.

It's now SRO between Hempstead and NCC due to the lack of alternatives. The n43 extension to Hempstead was used mainly by NCC Students. It came at the expense of the n43 being jam packed with both regular riders and the students between Roosevelt Field and the College.

Wait, if it was jam packed then why did they get rid of it?

I wonder if they figured that during Miday hours riders could take the N43 to the mall and transfer to the N15 if necessary.  

Very few people, if any, do that, because of the following:

1) The n43 is timed to just miss the departing n15 at Roosevelt Field, thus meaning an 18-minute wait for anyone who wants to catch the n15.

2) Northbound and southbound n16 buses typically show up at around the same time on campus, so everyone is just bound to board the southbound bus if going to HTC.

3) No one wants to willingly wait at Roosevelt Field for more than a short period of time, as there aren't even benches in the shelters.

On a side-note, is NICE even operating the artics mid-day? Perhaps they could operate special mid-day n16x services with them, as if the artics are not being interlined with n6x trips, they can time the trips based upon class change times, which are different depending on the day.

But that costs money, and NICE has none to spare.

I haven't seen an artic in a while. I just checked the new schedule and it's interesting. (maybe, I'm late on this):

-The closest to midday that they run Artics on weekdays is about 3pm, but on Saturday they kinda run on a hourly basis all day.

- Artics only run on the N6X on weekdays

-The "N6x" trips to NCC have been eliminated

http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/NiceBus-Schedules/NiceBus-SchedulesApp/NICE-n6_MapSchedule.pdf