Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Now that currians has won county executive how will she deal with nice

I expect NICE to probably receive additional funding, which will be good in the short-term (possible return of cut service, better maintained buses).

However, in the long-term, with her willingness to provide more government welfare services in a county that is still under financial strain, it will only hurt, as Nassau will likely emerge even more broke than before.

Another thing to factor in when it comes to this is that she had no specifics as to how a funding source for NICE would be created, while Martins stated that he would impose a tax on ride-sharing services (no doubt beneficial to the cab companies as well).

29 minutes ago, 67thAve said:

I expect NICE to probably receive additional funding, which will be good in the short-term (possible return of cut service, better maintained buses).

However, in the long-term, with her willingness to provide more government welfare services in a county that is still under financial strain, it will only hurt, as Nassau will likely emerge even more broke than before.

Another thing to factor in when it comes to this is that she had no specifics as to how a funding source for NICE would be created, while Martins stated that he would impose a tax on ride-sharing services (no doubt beneficial to the cab companies as well).

Mangano, Skelos, and the Venditto being caught in corruption really hurt Martin's chances at being County Executive. It's possible that voters didn't want to take a risk with 4 more years of Republicans in Nassau out of fear that another corruption scandal might hit the party. If corruption and ethics hadn't been a sudden focus, Martins might've won. He did have the lead till late last night.

7 hours ago, 67thAve said:

The crazy thing is that of all the property tax collected about 70% or so goes to school districts. If the the distribution was more balanced then the county would be fine and there would be enough for NICE.

I honestly expect moderate service increases on current routes under Curran's leadership. I don't expect any old routes to be resurrected, though I do see the n1 weekend service and maybe the n19 being eliminated in the next round of cuts.

@N6 Limited if you want to figure out where zones are, simulate (but don't  complete) ticket purchases choosing various locations and mark a zone each time the ticket goes up.

The LIRR handouts include zone information, but it does vary by branch. Usually it's in the back.

I think the first three zones are within the city and should not exceed $4.25 in cost (besides base fare, this was also preserved in the Great Capital Compromise).

On 11/9/2017 at 6:23 PM, N6 Limited said:

I don't know what's going on with Hempstead Ave but I just saw like 10 buses in a row stuck in traffic going eastbound

Lots of traffic between Elmont Road and Springfield Blvd, especially as the n6 approaches Cross Island Parkway. If it's not that, then it's F. Lewis being a parking lot during the rush.

It's not much, but Curran plans to remove Ed Mangano's name from the NICE Buses and won't add hers onto them. In hindsight, it was a bad idea for the former County Executive to put his name on the buses since people knew who to blame for the service cuts.  There's also something about plans to connect the Mineola LIRR station to the Nassau Hub.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/politics/laura-curran-nassau-executive-1.14910580

21 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

@N6 Limited if you want to figure out where zones are, simulate (but don't  complete) ticket purchases choosing various locations and mark a zone each time the ticket goes up.

The LIRR handouts include zone information, but it does vary by branch. Usually it's in the back.

I think the first three zones are within the city and should not exceed $4.25 in cost (besides base fare, this was also preserved in the Great Capital Compromise).

The LIRR has a PDF of the zones, but I want to know about the missing zones.

http://web.mta.info/lirr/about/TicketInfo/LIRRFares03-19-17.pdf

42 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

The LIRR has a PDF of the zones, but I want to know about the missing zones.

http://web.mta.info/lirr/about/TicketInfo/LIRRFares03-19-17.pdf

I don't follow you. :-/

Is there really such a thing? And if there was, how much could it be leveraged to suck riders' wallets dry?

*imagining a scene on Port Washington to Manhasset*

Conductor: ticket?

Me: *hands ticket from Woodside to Manhasset*

Conductor: oh I'm sorry, that doesn't account for our ghost zone. I'm gonna need $3 from you or I call the purple-ties.

43 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

I don't follow you. :-/

Is there really such a thing? And if there was, how much could it be leveraged to suck riders' wallets dry?

*imagining a scene on Port Washington to Manhasset*

Conductor: ticket?

Me: *hands ticket from Woodside to Manhasset*

Conductor: oh I'm sorry, that doesn't account for our ghost zone. I'm gonna need $3 from you or I call the purple-ties.

This is not about leverage this is about curiosity. 

To clarify, I want to know which stations the defunct zones consisted of. This is not about cheating fares as that wouldn't make sense. In fact Why would that reasoning even come to mind?

Edited by N6 Limited
clarification

16 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

This is not about leverage this is about curiosity. 

To clarify, I want to know which stations the defunct zones consisted of. This is not about cheating fares as that wouldn't make sense. In fact Why would that reasoning even come to mind?

I was writing a transit horror story about Long Island and my prose oozed into my reply.

Sawry.

2 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I wonder if this service alert regarding the n16, n35, and n43 is related to NCC's plans. Doesn't Miller Ave and Endo already have a stop?

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Service-Alerts.aspx

Only on SE corner. Maybe temportality bus stop for southbound trip will be SW corner?

23 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I wonder if this service alert regarding the n16, n35, and n43 is related to NCC's plans. Doesn't Miller Ave and Endo already have a stop?

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Service-Alerts.aspx

There are two stops there, technically.  There's one on the SW corner that the old N16 used to stop at and the stop behind the library, which for some reason is also known as Miller Avenue and Endo Blvd.  If ever the latter is closed, students have to trek to the old part of campus to find another stop.

I'm starting to see blue stickers with white strips on the end bearing Transdev's name placed on buses. They were covering up the side that County Executive Ed Mangano's name on the buses, mostly because Curran doesn't want her name on them. I also saw Martin's name on some of the cabs in Nassau, advertising his run for County Executive.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

I took an articulated bus to Hempstead terminal. The bus follows the N6 routing to the terminal but then goes all the way around the block from Columbia to  Washington around to Jackson to drop thr passengers off? Lame 

It's been that way ever since the articulated buses were put on the route. Pick ups and drop offs are done outside the terminal on Jackson Street because they can't enter the terminal.  They can't use West Columbia either because many taxis use that side during the day to get people coming off the LIRR. Despite this, the n6 articulated trips usually get more passengers than the regular buses at HTC.

Edited by NY1635

3 hours ago, NY1635 said:

It's been that way ever since the articulated buses were put on the route. Pick ups and drop offs are done outside the terminal on Jackson Street because they can't enter the terminal.  They can't use West Columbia either because many taxis use that side during the day to get people coming off the LIRR. Despite this, the n6 articulated trips usually get more passengers than the regular buses at HTC.

I almost missed a bus because of that. Actually I did miss it, I had to jog to Franklin St to catch the n40 to Mineola. 

6 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I almost missed a bus because of that. Actually I did miss it, I had to jog to Franklin St to catch the n40 to Mineola. 

That's kind of unnecessary given that the n41 is usually a few minutes, or literally right behind the n40 during the day. Plus, the n6 articulated bus stops right near the Glen Cove, Mineola, and Roosvelt Field Bays for the n27, n40/41, and n16.