Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Which part are you referring to?

The same trip Axis is referring to.

It has an n48 trip leaving HTC at 11:58 PM... The next time point there is at Front/Uniondale, scheduled to arrive at 12:08 PM.... That's a 12hr, 10 minute difference.... LMAO!

Jokes aside, the error on the timetable is the navy blue shading on the 11:58 (which designates PM hours)....
It's supposed to designate that the trip in question leaves HTC at 11:58am.

I was looking at an MSBA map from '74 and I noticed a few things:
The old N3 followed the N6 to Hempstead after making the right from Franklin Avenue to Hempstead Turnpike.
There was an N36/37 that ran from Hempstead and served Long Beach Road in RVC, took DeMott Avenue to Baldwin and then took Grand Avenue to the N35's current terminus at Atlantic Avenue, then followed the former N36's routing all the way to Lynbrook.  How long ago was it rerouted to Freeport?

19 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

What happened to Setzer?

He's working with NICE on a part-time basis. The new CEO has been in charge of NICE since August. Only Newsday bothered to report on the change.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/mta-ceo-names-new-1.20338341

• 2 weeks later...

That entire area of Hempstead around the Transit Center is an absolute rat's nest, and those are the kindest words I can use.  The MVMs inside are always broken, the bathrooms might as well be sewers themselves, there's no sense of security with the underpaid guards and non-existant HPD, and there aren't any good places to get a bite to eat around.  NICE's (lack of) quality service means you spend more time in that hellhole than you need to.

6 hours ago, Joel Up Front said:

NICE's (lack of) quality service means you spend more time in that hellhole than you need to.

It's little surprise at this point considering Nassau County itself is incredibly car focused, most treat the bus like plague over there and care less if it's passengers get less. Sad since I do remember the bus service being quite a lot better over there than it is now, and Hempstead TS may have been better as well (though I never went there until lately).

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

So the N20G flies in Queens, they’re a drop-off only service. Is it really worth it to TransDev to operate such a service? They have all stops from Great Neck LIRR to Nassau border to accumulate passengers and then drive them all the way to Flushing. 

Haha, this reminds me of "Q12 to Great Neck" proposal that pops up every now and then.

Anyways, yes it's worth it as it's pretty well used.

On 10/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, Joel Up Front said:

Saw 1677 on the n4 earlier this week.  I don't remember the Orion V's being THAT slow...

I think it's the HVAC that kills performance. I recall back in mid-September on a Jamaica-bound n4(1668), the operator was flying down the home stretch into Queens and within Queens, all with the HVAC broken down. However, the rest of the ride was incredibly sluggish with the HVAC, aside from the local traffic in Rock Centre and Freeport. Then going up the Sunrise Highway overpass, it struggled to hit 10...

Edited by Orion6025

3 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

I think it's the HVAC that kills performance. I recall back in mid-September on a Jamaica-bound n4(1668), the operator was flying down the home stretch into Queens and within Queens, all with the HVAC broken down. However, the rest of the ride was incredibly sluggish with the HVAC, aside from the local traffic in Rock Centre and Freeport. Then going up the Sunrise Highway overpass, it struggled to hit 10...

Funny, NICE loves to brag about their maintenance on their Facebook page every other Monday. I can only guess the Orion V is on the road to replace one of the broken down Orion VIIs.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 3:41 PM, NY1635 said:

He's working with NICE on a part-time basis. The new CEO has been in charge of NICE since August. Only Newsday bothered to report on the change.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/mta-ceo-names-new-1.20338341

When did Setzer start working part-time at NICE?

The n1 got diverted off route yesterday afternoon due to a car crash on Elmont Road near Dutch Broadway. I'll never understand why motorists feel the need to speed around that stretch between Dutch Broadway and Hempstead Turnpike. 

http://longisland.news12.com/story/39394780/police-out-of-control-car-strikes-4-teens-in-elmont

Edited by NY1635